2019-20 State Of The Habs

H_T_L

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I lived there would go to every game that I could (afford). As it stands have tickets to the Dallas game in February. Looking forward to it. Optimistic even with CJ as coach they will make the playoffs this year. If they do not he will most likely be the guy MB blames and he gets canned. Win/Win situation. 

Gustav Olofsson placed on waivers today. 

He is apparently healthy so the thinking is that he wont be claimed & will report to Laval (he already has a locker there & I think may have actually already been working out with them).  

This kid cant buy a break. He's had more injuries than Benoit Brunet.   I think if he can ever stay healthy he is still an NHL-quality player, maybe even a top 4 - but i dont know if we'll ever find out. He missed 80 of 82 games last year.  He missed 43 of 82 games the year before. He missed about 10 the year before that and 80 the year before that.    If my math is correct, he missed roughly 210-215 games out of a possible 352 the last 4 years.  Yikes. 

So this kind of falls into 2 threads this one and 2019-2020 Lines.

watched some of the game last night with my brother-in-law (who is a leafs fan), he saw the 3rd goal by Weal and was like that is a pretty solid line. When I told him that was the Habs 4th Line and he watched some more of the game he was like oh crap they just never let up, it's just a relentless attack with speed and skill. He is not looking forward to the games against the Habs cause he doesn't think the Leafs have a chance in that type of high tempo game. We all have our opinions of how improved the Habs are compared to the last few years and about what MB did or didn't do in the off-season but when a Leafs fan is not looking forward to Leafs-Habs games that to me says volumes about how far this team has really come.

6 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

So this kind of falls into 2 threads this one and 2019-2020 Lines.

watched some of the game last night with my brother-in-law (who is a leafs fan), he saw the 3rd goal by Weal and was like that is a pretty solid line. When I told him that was the Habs 4th Line and he watched some more of the game he was like oh crap they just never let up, it's just a relentless attack with speed and skill. He is not looking forward to the games against the Habs cause he doesn't think the Leafs have a chance in that type of high tempo game. We all have our opinions of how improved the Habs are compared to the last few years and about what MB did or didn't do in the off-season but when a Leafs fan is not looking forward to Leafs-Habs games that to me says volumes about how far this team has really come.

Ive been saying this for a while: I think our bottom 6 is going to win us a lot of games.  We dont have elite talent but we have talent throughout the lineup. You have Jonathan Drouin & JK on the 3rd line for pete's sake.   At some point that 3rd line could be Byron - Poehling -Weal which is a ridiculously good 4th line. 

My only concern really is defense.  Its possible they are ok too but right now i feel llike there's a number of question marks there & im hopeful things sort themselves out but I do worry. 

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

Ive been saying this for a while: I think our bottom 6 is going to win us a lot of games.  We dont have elite talent but we have talent throughout the lineup. You have Jonathan Drouin & JK on the 3rd line for pete's sake.   At some point that 3rd line could be Byron - Poehling -Weal which is a ridiculously good 4th line. 

My only concern really is defense.  Its possible they are ok too but right now i feel llike there's a number of question marks there & im hopeful things sort themselves out but I do worry. 

I thought the D played well  last night but Fleury was particularly impressive ... this bodes well for our D as Fleury and Suzuki will only improve . Carolina a better than average team who matched our speed and intensity the whole game ..this was a great game to watch and one that could've gone either way ...

1st game in the books

Impressive:

douin and kk- great goal by the kid, drouin was engaged and dealing

fleury-looked good and had some shake and bake on that breakway. i like

tatar- guys a player. 

Not Impressive:

gallagher-is he injured? sloppy and laborious

chiarot- leaves teurevainen for the identical look 2 seconds after losing him the first time

armia- on the pp, on the 3 on 3 forever, I really hate when we fall in love with a plug. every damn year

weber-can we please stop talking about the "window" we have with him. his window ended a long time ago. non factor. trade asap while his rep is still absurdly high

until all the kids are up and contributing we are a bubble team at best. too many plugs, and our good guys dont stack up. 

6 hours ago, jeff33 said:

1st game in the books

Impressive:

tatar- guys a player. 

Not Impressive:

chiarot- leaves teurevainen for the identical look 2 seconds after losing him the first time

armia- on the pp, on the 3 on 3 forever, I really hate when we fall in love with a plug. every damn year

weber-can we please stop talking about the "window" we have with him. his window ended a long time ago. non factor. trade asap while his rep is still absurdly high

until all the kids are up and contributing we are a bubble team at best. too many plugs, and our good guys dont stack up. 

I will never understand why so many people view this team as having too many plugs. A plug in my opinion is someone who can't skate well has little hockey sense and very little skill like John Scott. This team has maybe 3-4 players that IMO come close to that definition. Those players are Thompson (but he wins faceoffs and kills penalties well his speed isn't bad either) Armia most nights, Cousins who is in the press box and Folin who is also press boxed. This teams top 12 is fast, skilled and would be top 9 players on most teams. Oh I forgot about Chiarot who is slow but moves the puck decently has decent mobility and most importantly clears guys out of Carey's crease 

8 hours ago, jeff33 said:

Joel Armia is no plug.    He's a former 1st round draft choice who hasn't found his offensive game.    He's a big body, who skates very well and is one of the better puck possession players I've seen.     There are games where you can't get the puck off him.   

Compare Armia and Kotkaniemi's 18 year old season in SM-Liiga

Armia 48gp 18g 11a

JK 10g 19a

Armia I think has more to show and hopefully he puts it together to blossom into the 20-25g guy who's responsible defensively.   This could be a break out year.   Now, if he fails to put it together sure, we don't resign him ... but I think there's still a bit of untapped potential there.

12 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Joel Armia is no plug.    He's a former 1st round draft choice who hasn't found his offensive game.    He's a big body, who skates very well and is one of the better puck possession players I've seen.     There are games where you can't get the puck off him.   

Compare Armia and Kotkaniemi's 18 year old season in SM-Liiga

Armia 48gp 18g 11a

JK 10g 19a

Armia I think has more to show and hopefully he puts it together to blossom into the 20-25g guy who's responsible defensively.   This could be a break out year.   Now, if he fails to put it together sure, we don't resign him ... but I think there's still a bit of untapped potential there.

I agree Armia isn't a plug my point was none of our guys are true plugs. All I have seen of Armia is what he has done in the NHL as I don't pay attention to JR hockey  I said that those guys are the closest to plugs as the team has. Personally I don't really view any of them as true plugs they all have their strengths and skill set.

6 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I agree Armia isn't a plug my point was none of our guys are true plugs. All I have seen of Armia is what he has done in the NHL as I don't pay attention to JR hockey  I said that those guys are the closest to plugs as the team has. Personally I don't really view any of them as true plugs they all have their strengths and skill set.

Now Deslauriers, he was a plug

9 hours ago, jeff33 said:

1st game in the books

Impressive:

tatar- guys a player. 

Not Impressive:

Hey Jeff, you're a brave man posting this at the height of "Confirmation Bias Season".

(although I mostly agree with you - shhhhh...)

As long as Claude is the coach, this team will always have troubles. His vision within a game is missing completely. 

Pretty sure Tatar and Weal should of been part of that shoot out in game 1. But no reward for playing a great game with this team.

Pretty sure Drouin would have to stop a break away then fight off 4 guys and go the other way and score before he would get much respect on here. If everyone had played half as good as he did in game one we would of won the game.

But our big problem is going to be defense. Not getting a top LD to play with Weber will haunt this season. Mete is great, just not ready for that role.

haha let me clairfy

a plug to me in 2019 is a guy who is replaceable by another "guy"

armia definitely does some things well, i like his puck protection , he does have some hands and he may very well have some untapped offensive potential

however, RIGHT NOW hes a 20 point guy and I feel like who cares.

ditto weal, thompson, cousins and though I certainly feel like theres more to lehkonen and suzuki, they land there too.

we need players to produce. like I said when vegas had so much success and people on here wanted to use that as a rags to riches example.......they had guys produce. they dont need to be name players, they become name players when they produce.

right now we got a lot of very middling producers and I think its fair to say Armia lands right there in that assessment

2 hours ago, jeff33 said:

haha let me clairfy

a plug to me in 2019 is a guy who is replaceable by another "guy"

armia definitely does some things well, i like his puck protection , he does have some hands and he may very well have some untapped offensive potential

however, RIGHT NOW hes a 20 point guy and I feel like who cares.

ditto weal, thompson, cousins and though I certainly feel like theres more to lehkonen and suzuki, they land there too.

we need players to produce. like I said when vegas had so much success and people on here wanted to use that as a rags to riches example.......they had guys produce. they dont need to be name players, they become name players when they produce.

right now we got a lot of very middling producers and I think its fair to say Armia lands right there in that assessment

By that definition 100% of the league are plugs. Cause èven the elite players are replaceable by another "guy". Any team can replace any player. McDavid could be traded to Toronto for Mathews, Crosby could be traded to Colorado for McKinnon and so on. But if we are talking about guys without elite tallent the the percentage drops to about 90% cause every team has guys in their system to replace another guy on the team from the top to the bottom of the lineup. Evans could replace Domi, as other teams I am sure have guys to step up when injury hits or when they surpass said player. There is always going to be someone better

^^ Armia is IMO a very good 4th liner. He's an acceptable 3rd line winger, and I see him as more than a "20-point player"... he put up 23 points in only 57 games last year, so extrapolate that and it's a 33 point season... not incredible but certainly passable for a bottom 6 player. Jeff, you called him replaceable and sure, he's easier to replace than Gallagher or Tatar or Domi, but at the same time, I think he brings things to the table that very few guys in our organization do. Who else on our team provides the same combination of size, skating, and ability to protect the puck? McCarron can't skate as well. Thompson can't skate as well and doesn't have as much skill. Weal and Byron are much smaller and less efficient at puck protection. Weise hits but he's otherwise pretty mediocre. So while I agree with you that Armia shouldn't be on the first PP wave, I see value in what he brings to the table. I'd say guys like Weal, Cousins, and Thompson are more "replaceable" in terms of skillset.

As for Weber, I have worries about him. He's shown the past two years that he hasn't held up very well. He's had some significant injuries, and even when he's played, his skating has been weak and he's had to rely on positioning to keep pace, much like Markov did as he started to slow down. Is Weber still a physically-imposing player who bruises opponents? Yes. Is he still revered and slightly feared by opponents? Yes. Is he useful on the PP and in the O-zone set offence? Absolutely, he probably still has a top-10 shot in the league. But I'm not sure he's a guy that you can throw out for 25-28 minutes a night and expect him to keep pace at even strength. He's a much more valuable special teams player, where the play is slower and based in one zone, but you pay a #1 D man to do more than that. It's one game thus far, and Weber will certainly be better against slower teams than the Canes. But where it stands, Petry easily seems like the more complete defenceman.

9 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Is Weber still a physically-imposing player who bruises opponents? Yes. Is he still revered and slightly feared by opponents? Yes.

To the second question, probably he is still feared.   To the first one ... I don't think he's physically imposing anymore.    

His skating means he struggles to put himself in a poistion of laying a guy out ... and mentally, he just doesn't seem to have the mean streak where he seeks out the hit.    I honestly don't recall him laying on a big hit in his entire time with the Habs.

There was a lot of concern about Mete being on our 1st pairing before the season started. I have to say he's been the better of the two from what i've seen so far. His speed has really come in handy covering for Weber in our first two games. I have to say that Petry has looked like our #1 guy in the early going. Weber doesn't seem to be up to par yet and he's struggling getting that shot on net. I'm hopeful it's just rust.

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

There was a lot of concern about Mete being on our 1st pairing before the season started. I have to say he's been the better of the two from what i've seen so far. His speed has really come in handy covering for Weber in our first two games. I have to say that Petry has looked like our #1 guy in the early going. Weber doesn't seem to be up to par yet and he's struggling getting that shot on net. I'm hopeful it's just rust.

I agree & honestly with Weber & Petry both being over 30 you will probably have some nights when one or the other is the better RD. Which is ok - its a luxury to have a 1A and 1B RD.   I think Weber looked better tonight (Still some bad positioning but also so good plays) but the guy who's really looked out of place in our top 4 to me has been Chiarot. 

If you give Petry or Weber varying top pairing ice time based on the night then some games you're going to have Chiarot on the first pair & that worries me.

7 hours ago, maas_art said:

I agree & honestly with Weber & Petry both being over 30 you will probably have some nights when one or the other is the better RD. Which is ok - its a luxury to have a 1A and 1B RD.   I think Weber looked better tonight (Still some bad positioning but also so good plays) but the guy who's really looked out of place in our top 4 to me has been Chiarot. 

If you give Petry or Weber varying top pairing ice time based on the night then some games you're going to have Chiarot on the first pair & that worries me.

I thought Chiarot looked a lot better in the game against the Leafs. As for Webber i don't think he has looked all that bad and he also played better against the Leafs. I think if we put the two games into context the Canes beat us up pretty bad last year and the Leafs have a lot of offence and are supposed to be one of the top tier teams this year we did very well getting 3 of 4 points. so for me i think we are in pretty good shape right now two games in! it would have been easy to drop both games if we were not playing well, another point is we are breaking in some new players and a couple of rookies. one bright spot for me is Petry seems to be coming into his own with his new partner he is playing better and more consistantly so than i can remember hi doing in the past.

• H_T_L locked this topic