The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2019-20 State Of The Habs

H_T_L

A better effort all around against a strong team. I thought Domi did a good job containing himself after taking a real cheap shot. Weber's positioning was better and Petry played a more controlled game. Danault's line played well along the boards creating chances.

I can't decide whether Suzuki would be better served with a stint in Laval or remain with the big club, if he stays up he has to play and I am undecided whether that gives us the best possible line-up each night. Kotkaniemi  looked a bit sluggish and thus played the least minutes of any of the forwards. I thought Price was off just a bit in his positioning and didn't look comfortable at times but still made some good saves when we needed them. Armia didn't protect the puck as well as he can but he was due for a bit of an off night. The PP was disappointing and is still a work in progress.

After the debacle against Detroit, things are looking up a little but a wild card spot still seems a stretch.  

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I read this somewhere else, but, I think it bears repeating here. Yes, I just copied and pasted it. :P

"Many people will point to Ben Chiarot, others will point to Shea Weber, others still will point to Victor Mete. Another group will point to the forwards not helping out. A different group will blame the goalie. Wherever your finger is pointing, the simple fact is the Habs are allowing one of the worst shots per game totals in the NHL, and they’re allowing too many goals against. The offence is producing. They’re doing their part as expected, but it is hard to win a game when you always need four or five goals to get that result. The Habs allowed 18 goals in their first four games. The Bruins, in contrast, allowed eight goals in their first four games. With another three goals allowed against the Blues, the Habs are allowing over four goals per game. When you need five to get a positive result, you are not going to win very much."

It's time to tighten up the team defense. 

46 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

I read this somewhere else, but, I think it bears repeating here. Yes, I just copied and pasted it. :P

"Many people will point to Ben Chiarot, others will point to Shea Weber, others still will point to Victor Mete. Another group will point to the forwards not helping out. A different group will blame the goalie. Wherever your finger is pointing, the simple fact is the Habs are allowing one of the worst shots per game totals in the NHL, and they’re allowing too many goals against. The offence is producing. They’re doing their part as expected, but it is hard to win a game when you always need four or five goals to get that result. The Habs allowed 18 goals in their first four games. The Bruins, in contrast, allowed eight goals in their first four games. With another three goals allowed against the Blues, the Habs are allowing over four goals per game. When you need five to get a positive result, you are not going to win very much."

Boston has 12 goals for we have 21. From watching this team in the past 4 seasons. It is much more important to get the offense rolling now and tighten up the defense as we go along. 2-1-2 is a much better record then I thought we would have at this point. The defense is there and so is the penalty killing. One bad goal by Price added to our totals last game. Many players have made mistakes to allow goals each game. Its so early the good teams do not get rolling until after game ten. Or in case of the Blues after Christmas. 

14 minutes ago, tony5775 said:

Boston has 12 goals for we have 21. From watching this team in the past 4 seasons. It is much more important to get the offense rolling now and tighten up the defense as we go along. 2-1-2 is a much better record then I thought we would have at this point. The defense is there and so is the penalty killing. One bad goal by Price added to our totals last game. Many players have made mistakes to allow goals each game. Its so early the good teams do not get rolling until after game ten. Or in case of the Blues after Christmas. 

Pk is 29th at 64.7%.....defence not much better so far but I agree it's early ...77 games to go 

4 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Saturday was definitely better result and we actually outshot the other team but mostly we reduced the shots against to a reasonable number. I believe the part of the quote I highlighted (the whole post was good) but "It's time to tighten up the TEAM DEFENSE" is huge. That is how teams like Boston win consistently.  It's also the best way to play the whole season by being strong defensively and making the playoffs that way, because as Tampa found out it's called and played differently come playoff time and if you're already playing that way you're already ready.

I don't know about tightening up the D. We're working with a small sample size. So... I think we need to wait until 15-20 games are played before we see what the team is really like. With that said, I feel like we've been terrible at surrendering high-quality scoring chances for a long time. If that is the case, I'm not sure if the D can be "tightened up." Bergevin didn't bring in any defenders that will make a huge difference. The coaching staff is the same. An extra year of "experience" for everyone isn't going to make much of a difference with this crew. I feel like we'll continue to surrender high-quality scoring chances and it will be up to the goaltenders to outperform the team D.

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I don't know about tightening up the D. We're working with a small sample size. So... I think we need to wait until 15-20 games are played before we see what the team is really like. With that said, I feel like we've been terrible at surrendering high-quality scoring chances for a long time. If that is the case, I'm not sure if the D can be "tightened up." Bergevin didn't bring in any defenders that will make a huge difference. The coaching staff is the same. An extra year of "experience" for everyone isn't going to make much of a difference with this crew. I feel like we'll continue to surrender high-quality scoring chances and it will be up to the goaltenders to outperform the team D.

What I was referring to I think the team as in forwards helping out more can continue to improve as in team defense. It's not up to the defense itself to play better alone. Look at the Islanders last year after Trotts came in, also that is exactly what Holland and the new coach for Edmonton said . The run and gun hockey is fun to watch but isn't a formula for long term success or playoff hockey once you get there. Reducing the shots against and playing a better stronger team defense will result in a much better overall results. It also is very common every season to have a lot of high scoring games early in the season until teams get adjusted. The penalty calls earlier in the season also seem to reduce later in the season so if you can have a strong 5 on 5 play in the long run it usually helps out. I would hope as stated that say 20 games in as a team we are giving up fewer shots against and look better in our own zone coverage wise. 

Speculation by Andrew Zadarnowski that CSKA Moscow (Romanov's current team) may be trying to up the ante to sign him to another contract (his current one runs out this season). Per Zadarnoski:

Bergevin can only talk to Romanov, nothing more. No contracts can be signed. I imagine that the war for Romanov’s services is well under way. CSKA can offer Romanov more money than the Habs, and I imagine that if Bergevin is going to Russia it’s because CSKA is also moving in.

This is because Bergevin had mentioned that he would be going to Russia in December. 

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

Speculation by Andrew Zadarnowski that CSKA Moscow (Romanov's current team) may be trying to up the ante to sign him to another contract (his current one runs out this season). Per Zadarnoski:

Bergevin can only talk to Romanov, nothing more. No contracts can be signed. I imagine that the war for Romanov’s services is well under way. CSKA can offer Romanov more money than the Habs, and I imagine that if Bergevin is going to Russia it’s because CSKA is also moving in.

This is because Bergevin had mentioned that he would be going to Russia in December. 

Well, that would be huge blow to our plans obviously. hopefully he wants to play in the best league of the world as soon as possible instead of staying in Russia. 

45 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Well, that would be huge blow to our plans obviously. hopefully he wants to play in the best league of the world as soon as possible instead of staying in Russia. 

im hopeful. I get the sense he does want to come over.

on the flip side, if you're russian, I can see the allure of staying in the KHL.  its comfortable (culture, language etc) you stay with family - and the money is way better.   I think most guys (and I imagine Romanov falls into this category) still want to prove themselves in the best league in the world though. at least lets hope so because thats basically all we have to over over staying home. 

Kotkaniemi line on fire entire 1st period and then he makes one mistake and is stapled to the 4th line. You just love to see it folks. 

Can't wait until they start using him at wing and we all ahve to cirlce the wagons and pretned he was "never" going to be an NHL center. 

20 minutes ago, Noob616 said:

Kotkaniemi line on fire entire 1st period and then he makes one mistake and is stapled to the 4th line. You just love to see it folks. 

Can't wait until they start using him at wing and we all ahve to cirlce the wagons and pretned he was "never" going to be an NHL center. 

Agreed, hands down our best line in the first period where Tampa was mostly invisible. Not sure what playing the wing on the 4th line is supposed to teach him, but the coaches know what they’re doing I suppose :rolleyes:

27 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

As long as we have Weal, there‘s no reason for concern. I‘m sure Cousins will get plenty of ice time as well once he‘s ready. With those guys in the lineup, the future is bright.

Sarcasm at it's finest. :lol:

I got it. :)

WTG, Chil_la

in defence of Julien (and trust me i say this purely as a "glass half full guy") most of the time he does things like this it is - in his mind - to shelter the young player.  

In some cases I think it works but in MOST i think it does the reverse. The player sees it as a punishment & then tightens up even more, making more mistakes. 

11 hours ago, RCAF48 said:

Kotkaniemi missed his coverage on both even strength goals and was pushed around all night. This is the NHL not a development league. Hopefully he will turn it around for Thursday's game.

I agree and he has been getting knocked down or pushed off the puck a lot this year. He looks great in open ice but in the corners and down low coverage he still has work to do. The second goal though Weber did get there first and in stead of rifling it around boards as I thought he was going to do he stopped to make a play with a player coming down on him quick. JK does need as a center need to get better in the defensive zone coverage though. 

31 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

I agree and he has been getting knocked down or pushed off the puck a lot this year. He looks great in open ice but in the corners and down low coverage he still has work to do. The second goal though Weber did get there first and in stead of rifling it around boards as I thought he was going to do he stopped to make a play with a player coming down on him quick. JK does need as a center need to get better in the defensive zone coverage though. 

Weber's decision making has been off this year.  He's always been a step slower than fast players but usually he more than makes up for it with his hockey IQ. This year he seems tentative and lacking confidence or something. Not sure what it is but he needs to sort it out quickly because this will hurt us otherwise. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Weber's decision making has been off this year.  He's always been a step slower than fast players but usually he more than makes up for it with his hockey IQ. This year he seems tentative and lacking confidence or something. Not sure what it is but he needs to sort it out quickly because this will hurt us otherwise. 

I am wondering if Weber is considering retirement, the last 2 seasons have been hard on his body. He doesn't have the nastiness that is vintage Weber and he seems like he isn't enjoying himself, you can see it in his interviews and the way he is playing. He doesn't seem like he even cares about winning a cup at this point.

• H_T_L locked this topic