Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2019-20 State Of The Habs


H_T_L
 Share

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, caperns61 said:

Mac Bennet - Bennett is a smooth-skating defenceman with a good first pass

Nathan Beaulieu - he’s a good skater, good puck-mover,”  on his third team already, ala Galchenyk

Mathieu Carle - Carle is a strong offensive presence from the blue line, with good skating and strong puck-handling ability.


Dalton Thrower - is a silky smooth and efficient skater,  delivers crisp and accurate passes

Its greeat to have those tools but if you dont know what to do with them - well....hasta la vista baby....

You can also add Victor Mete, Brett Kulak and Mike Reilly to that list all are good skaters with great passing ability and Mete and Kulak can play big minutes but Mete and Kulak both suck in the corners and in front of the net and as a Dman that should be your first reaponsability. I feel like either Mete or Kulak have to go if we are trading for a 1 LHD. 1 of the 2 will be playing below their ability if either is on the bottom pairing here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Canadiens called up forward Ryan Poehling from the AHL’s Laval Rocket on Sunday and placed Jesperi Kotkaniemi on the injured-reserve list with a groin injury.

Poehling, the Canadiens’ first-round pick (25th overall) at the 2017 NHL Draft, had 3-2-5 totals and was minus-2 in 13 games with the Rocket this season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, HabsRuleForever said:

Poehling recalled, Kotkaniemi placed on injured reserve.

 

2 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

The Canadiens called up forward Ryan Poehling from the AHL’s Laval Rocket on Sunday and placed Jesperi Kotkaniemi on the injured-reserve list with a groin injury.

Poehling, the Canadiens’ first-round pick (25th overall) at the 2017 NHL Draft, had 3-2-5 totals and was minus-2 in 13 games with the Rocket this season.

Old news:6416:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

Ohh I know just wishful thinking.  I really hope Leks turns things around this season, poor guys seems snake bitten this year

 

21 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

Speaking of Lehtonen his goal against the Stars was a howitzer ...didn't know he had it in him ...maybe the monkey is off 

I think he's just gonna be THAT guy. Like, the new Chris Higgins... He'll score a beauty and then miss 10-20 chances before getting his next. Maybe put together a multi-goal night once in a blue moon.10-15 goals per season. 10-15 assists.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

 

I think he's just gonna be THAT guy. Like, the new Chris Higgins... He'll score a beauty and then miss 10-20 chances before getting his next. Maybe put together a multi-goal night once in a blue moon.10-15 goals per season. 10-15 assists.

 I'd take 15 goals ands 15 assists from him in a heartbeat at his current salary level because his plus side defensively is above average . The Higgins comparison is bang on ..I always thought he'd bust through but never quite made it ….still a good team guy to have around who played hard every game .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I expect a hat trick and a shootout winner. EVERY game! :lol:

Ps, on a more serious note, Im going to make a bold prediction that Ryan Poehling never plays another AHL game.

I know people will think thats nuts, since he wasnt particularly dominant down there, but knowing his game & how he played in the NCAA, i think there's a very legitimate chance he's one of those rare guys who plays much better in the NHL than in the minors.   He himself said "I just think it’s completely different. It seems like the NHL is more systematic than the AHL. The AHL is a little different. I think it kind of suits my game. I’m a systematic guy, so I think this league kind of suits me more so than the AHL.” Julien's structure is going to feel like "home" to Poehling (and he'll earn Claude's trust immediately).  Bouchard is excellent but he's all about the long game - working on specifics with players, more than worrying about wins for the team. 

 

Duncan Keith, Bo Horvat, Shattenkirk - and our very own Brendan Gallagher - are all guys who come to mind as players who were (often considerably) better in the NHL than the AHL.  

I dont think Poehling will be a PPG player or anything but I think he's going to play well, step right in & look NHL-ready and make waiving a player like Weal an obvious choice. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Ps, on a more serious note, Im going to make a bold prediction that Ryan Poehling never plays another AHL game.

I know people will think thats nuts, since he wasnt particularly dominant down there, but knowing his game & how he played in the NCAA, i think there's a very legitimate chance he's one of those rare guys who plays much better in the NHL than in the minors.   He himself said "I just think it’s completely different. It seems like the NHL is more systematic than the AHL. The AHL is a little different. I think it kind of suits my game. I’m a systematic guy, so I think this league kind of suits me more so than the AHL.” Julien's structure is going to feel like "home" to Poehling (and he'll earn Claude's trust immediately).  Bouchard is excellent but he's all about the long game - working on specifics with players, more than worrying about wins for the team. 

 

Duncan Keith, Bo Horvat, Shattenkirk - and our very own Brendan Gallagher - are all guys who come to mind as players who were (often considerably) better in the NHL than the AHL.  

I dont think Poehling will be a PPG player or anything but I think he's going to play well, step right in & look NHL-ready and make waiving a player like Weal an obvious choice. 

if he is still the player he was then i would agree he just seems to have it whatever that is.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Ps, on a more serious note, Im going to make a bold prediction that Ryan Poehling never plays another AHL game.

I know people will think thats nuts, since he wasnt particularly dominant down there, but knowing his game & how he played in the NCAA, i think there's a very legitimate chance he's one of those rare guys who plays much better in the NHL than in the minors.   He himself said "I just think it’s completely different. It seems like the NHL is more systematic than the AHL. The AHL is a little different. I think it kind of suits my game. I’m a systematic guy, so I think this league kind of suits me more so than the AHL.” Julien's structure is going to feel like "home" to Poehling (and he'll earn Claude's trust immediately).  Bouchard is excellent but he's all about the long game - working on specifics with players, more than worrying about wins for the team. 

 

Duncan Keith, Bo Horvat, Shattenkirk - and our very own Brendan Gallagher - are all guys who come to mind as players who were (often considerably) better in the NHL than the AHL.  

I dont think Poehling will be a PPG player or anything but I think he's going to play well, step right in & look NHL-ready and make waiving a player like Weal an obvious choice. 

It's not impossible. But here's the thing: CJ said today that he thinks Kotkaniemi will be back short-term, maybe within the next few days. If he is, that leaves you with just a few options:

1. Send Poehling back down

2. Send Kotkaniemi down

3. Send Suzuki down

4. Make a trade to free up a roster spot

5. Put someone through waivers

 

A trade would be a bit of a surprise, because most teams aren't looking to make big deals right now. I could see us shopping Lehkonen or Byron but both guys have all-time low values right now, so those moves probably don't make a ton of sense. I could also see us just dumping Weal or Folin, either by waivers or via a trade for a nil return. I don't think Suzuki is likely to go down, and with JK, while I could see him getting a stint in the AHL, I doubt the Habs want to keep him there long-term either.

So either the Habs face an injury that frees up a spot and saves them a decision or else the team has a choice between Poehling and Kotkaniemi short-term. Like I said at the beginning of the season, I didn't see Poehling coming up to take Thompson's spot, and it would be to take Kotkaniemi's spot if Poehling got an early recall. I'm not sure CJ will find space for all of Poehling, JK, or Suzuki in the line-up together and I certainly don't see him moving Danault, Domi, or Thompson off the center spot for now.

So I'm a bit like you in that I think Poehling will show well, and there are certainly a good 4-5 guys on the roster that he could out-compete to stay based on merit. But I think the waiver-eligibility factor plays a role here too, and I'm not sure the Habs will view exposing a player to waivers lightly. IMO, the most expendable player is probably Folin because I think Ouellet, Leskinen, Brook, and Juulsen could be just as good, but I really don't know how the Habs view things.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Anyone else a little concerned with Price's play through 12 starts? He's been okay. He's been good at times. But he's not been 'Highest paid player in franchise history' levels of good.

I am quite concerned with what we've seen so far... As a matter of fact, IMHO, goal-tending overall is a weakness on this Habs team so far. Will we get to see Primeau at some point? He is the real deal with the Rocket it appears.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Anyone else a little concerned with Price's play through 12 starts? He's been okay. He's been good at times. But he's not been 'Highest paid player in franchise history' levels of good.

he's been un-Price like for sure ...even the goal that was overturned last was a stinker not to mention the one that he should have saved low with his left pad ...it's a good thing the team has found it scoring touch so far this year because I don't see where Carey has actually "saved ' a game so far ..on the plus side Rask was even worse and a win is a win ..nice to see Chairot not only help stymie the leagues top line but also score the winner and keep the naysayer dogs away from the door momentarily..I thought Poehling looked like he had a little trouble with the pace of the game and tight checking but Boston can do that to you  ..I don't think Montreal can send Suzuki anywhere because he's playing so well at this level and defensively is solid ….who do you send down when JK returns ? ...Poehling or Weal ?....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Anyone else a little concerned with Price's play through 12 starts? He's been okay. He's been good at times. But he's not been 'Highest paid player in franchise history' levels of good.

He's been streaky in the past couple years. He got hot last year when he was being overused because of Niemi's ineptitude. Maybe rest is a bad thing for him? I'm reasonably confident he'll snap out of it soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, arpem-can said:

he's been un-Price like for sure ...even the goal that was overturned last was a stinker not to mention the one that he should have saved low with his left pad ...it's a good thing the team has found it scoring touch so far this year because I don't see where Carey has actually "saved ' a game so far ..on the plus side Rask was even worse and a win is a win ..nice to see Chairot not only help stymie the leagues top line but also score the winner and keep the naysayer dogs away from the door momentarily..I thought Poehling looked like he had a little trouble with the pace of the game and tight checking but Boston can do that to you  ..I don't think Montreal can send Suzuki anywhere because he's playing so well at this level and defensively is solid ….who do you send down when JK returns ? ...Poehling or Weal ?....

Weak goaltending does make the D look worse then it actually is. All teams suffer defensive breakdowns but you don't normally notice it when your goalie makes those highlight saves. We haven't seen much of that from our tandem. The team has been taking advantage of some flukey goals, but when that dries up we'll need Price to step it up if we're going to get anywhere this year. The balance of November's schedule is relatively as easy as we'll get this season. We need to take advantage and build a cushion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, H_T_L said:

He's been streaky in the past couple years. He got hot last year when he was being overused because of Niemi's ineptitude. Maybe rest is a bad thing for him? I'm reasonably confident he'll snap out of it soon.

This. Especially the bold.   He often has slow starts - last year he didnt really take off until Weber came back (so, november).  Like you, im confident he'll bounce back as the season goes on.  Thankfully we've been scoring a lot so the goalies havent had to be brilliant (yet).


Price and Kinkade have both made some spectacular saves and let in some stinkers.   We just need a little more consistency out of them & I think they'll be fine. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...