H_T_L

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Thing I wonder about KK is how frustrated do you think he is with the coaching. Last year he makes the team out of camp has a fantastic openening half of a season and still doesnt move up the lineup or even get an increase in minutes. Thwn this year he sees guys like Poehling, Suzuki and Fleury get trusted with playing big minutes in the top 6 both earned and unearned. I am not  saying he is frustrated just I could understand why he may be. I am also not saying he should be moved up right now cause he hasn't earned it this year.

Poehling? The dude is in Laval.

I would just say that Suzuki has, IMO, earned every minute of ice time and responsibility he's been given this season.

As other's have suggested, I do think Jesperi needs to be given some PP time. There's no reason why Cousins and Weal are on the PP and Kotkaniemi is not. It's foolish. It speaks to why our special teams are mediocre-to-bad.

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Poehling? The dude is in Laval.

I would just say that Suzuki has, IMO, earned every minute of ice time and responsibility he's been given this season.

As other's have suggested, I do think Jesperi needs to be given some PP time. There's no reason why Cousins and Weal are on the PP and Kotkaniemi is not. It's foolish. It speaks to why our special teams are mediocre-to-bad.

Poehling was on the Habs while JK was injured!

Suzuki started the year on the second line right out of camp, That was not earned it was given to him. Now yes he worked his way back to the top 6. KK had to start at the bottom out of camp and no matter how hard he worked or how well he did last year he was not given top 6 time. Thats my point! After going through that I can honestly say that I would be frustrated with the coach so why wouldn't JK be as well.

31 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Poehling was on the Habs while JK was injured!

Suzuki started the year on the second line right out of camp, That was not earned it was given to him. Now yes he worked his way back to the top 6. KK had to start at the bottom out of camp and no matter how hard he worked or how well he did last year he was not given top 6 time. Thats my point! After going through that I can honestly say that I would be frustrated with the coach so why wouldn't JK be as well.

Yeah, but I think it's a little bit of a misstatement to say Poehling has been trusted with playing big minutes in the top six.

I don't think Kotkaniemi started on the bottom. He didn't have a strong camp. But he was still given the same role down the middle he had last season. He also hasn't had a strong start to the regular season.

Suzuki's ATOI is 14.40 and Kotkaniemi's is 12:50. So, yeah, Kotkaniemi should see some more ice. I'd like to see him get some PP time to help boost those numbers. I'm doubtful if he's frustrated with the coaching staff. He's 19 and getting valuable NHL level experience.

11 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yeah, but I think it's a little bit of a misstatement to say Poehling has been trusted with playing big minutes in the top six.

I don't think Kotkaniemi started on the bottom. He didn't have a strong camp. But he was still given the same role down the middle he had last season. He also hasn't had a strong start to the regular season.

Suzuki's ATOI is 14.40 and Kotkaniemi's is 12:50. So, yeah, Kotkaniemi should see some more ice. I'd like to see him get some PP time to help boost those numbers. I'm doubtful if he's frustrated with the coaching staff. He's 19 and getting valuable NHL level experience.

I think your missing my point. Comparing just Suzuki's and Kotkaniemi's rookie seasons Suzuki has been given more opportunities than KK got. 

53 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I think your missing my point. Comparing just Suzuki's and Kotkaniemi's rookie seasons Suzuki has been given more opportunities than KK got. 

I don't know about that. Kotkaniemi received PP time last season. What other opportunities are you referring to? Playing with Domi?

I can agree that Kotkaniemi should be seeing PP opportunities over the likes of Jordan Weal and Nick Cousins. Not sure that's he's done much to earn extra 5-on-5 time this season. He's struggled at times. We'll see what happens with Byron and Drouin out of the lineup for extended periods of time. Perhaps Kotkaniemi can grab the opportunity and earn himself some bigger minutes.

some thoughts.

1. we have a very generous record right now. we have been very lucky this year to gain a lot of the points we have gotten. my best habs buddy says who cares, and if you are looking at making the playoffs as the goal, yes I agree. we are in a good spot for that goal and who cares how we got there. for me , that isnt the goal. I hate this "anything can happen if we can just get in" mentality. I think this is loser talk. Im in toronto and we just won an NBA title because our gm decided that making the playoffs and even winning a couple of rounds....somewhere we are not close to...was not good enough.  I agree. I want to win. This team is the definition of mediocrity right now and I have been a fan long enough to see enough bubble teams year after year. Im not interested. I have enjoyed the crazy wins, I will enjoy it if we make the playoffs and watch every game, but these guys aren't winning anything based on what I have seen so far.

2. BUT THE KIDS. yep I am excited about them too. we have some real interesting prospects. howveer lets call it like it is. suzuki has been the best of the bunchbut the returns are pretty pedestrian however encouraging they may be, KK is looking concerningly ineffective, poehling has done nothing, fleury...ok....when one of these guys starts doing what svechnikov or makar or pick a guy is doing, talk to me. will they? maybe. I hope so. as is? meh. 

3. its time to start propping domi up WAY more. this was our leading scorer and best center from last year. yes i like that suzuki is getting a look at center but at his expense? i dunno. and aside from that way to much lehkonen and byron and armia and whoever else. part of this is we just dont have many good players but we just lost in OT and 2 shifts in hes not out there. and yes I know drouin is hurt but this feels wrong.  we need help up front big time.  its getting overshadowed by this obvious hole at LD but to me the hole on RW is just as bad

4. speaking of which, byron and lehkonen, ugh. these are not solutions. ive seen enough. ditto chiarot. and I do not want to see weal and cousins on a 1st wave pp late in a game we are within reach of.  its bad enough we dont have much star power, can we at least use what we have when its time to use it?

I really think its time for a big shake up. either go for it or go full rebuild. im ok with either. just my opinion

16 hours ago, jeff33 said:

3. its time to start propping domi up WAY more. this was our leading scorer and best center from last year. yes i like that suzuki is getting a look at center but at his expense?

DOMI needs to be at center..period period period.. He is a great skater, with good vision, he opens the ice on a rush more then any other forward on our team.....not from the wing though...

19 hours ago, jeff33 said:

some thoughts.

1. we have a very generous record right now. we have been very lucky this year to gain a lot of the points we have gotten. my best habs buddy says who cares, and if you are looking at making the playoffs as the goal, yes I agree. we are in a good spot for that goal and who cares how we got there. for me , that isnt the goal. I hate this "anything can happen if we can just get in" mentality. I think this is loser talk. Im in toronto and we just won an NBA title because our gm decided that making the playoffs and even winning a couple of rounds....somewhere we are not close to...was not good enough.  I agree. I want to win. This team is the definition of mediocrity right now and I have been a fan long enough to see enough bubble teams year after year. Im not interested. I have enjoyed the crazy wins, I will enjoy it if we make the playoffs and watch every game, but these guys aren't winning anything based on what I have seen so far.

2. BUT THE KIDS. yep I am excited about them too. we have some real interesting prospects. howveer lets call it like it is. suzuki has been the best of the bunchbut the returns are pretty pedestrian however encouraging they may be, KK is looking concerningly ineffective, poehling has done nothing, fleury...ok....when one of these guys starts doing what svechnikov or makar or pick a guy is doing, talk to me. will they? maybe. I hope so. as is? meh. 

3. its time to start propping domi up WAY more. this was our leading scorer and best center from last year. yes i like that suzuki is getting a look at center but at his expense? i dunno. and aside from that way to much lehkonen and byron and armia and whoever else. part of this is we just dont have many good players but we just lost in OT and 2 shifts in hes not out there. and yes I know drouin is hurt but this feels wrong.  we need help up front big time.  its getting overshadowed by this obvious hole at LD but to me the hole on RW is just as bad

4. speaking of which, byron and lehkonen, ugh. these are not solutions. ive seen enough. ditto chiarot. and I do not want to see weal and cousins on a 1st wave pp late in a game we are within reach of.  its bad enough we dont have much star power, can we at least use what we have when its time to use it?

I really think its time for a big shake up. either go for it or go full rebuild. im ok with either. just my opinion

1. This team will battle for the playoffs. They are a pretty good 5v5 team. They have one of the best 5v5 lines in the league with Tatar-Danault-Gallagher. They have one of the best goalies in the league in Price. They have a very good D man in Petry and they have some promising youngsters. But yes, this team isn't anywhere close to winning a Cup. They lack top-end scorers, so they need a lot of different parts to be working right at the same time to have success, and they haven't addressed the biggest hole in the line-up at the top of the left side of the D.

2. Suzuki has been very good. He's an NHL player. Maybe he cracks 20 goals this year but he's not going to hit superstar status this year. Kotkaniemi looked pretty good against the Sens IMO, and he looked good on his 1-2 shifts with Tatar and Gallagher and he looked good with Drouin and Armia. But neither he nor Suzuki are going to do very much if they're pegged with playing with Byron, Lehkonen, or Weal as linemates. You want those two to succeed as offensive players, when they're both playmakers first and you need to put them with guys who can finish. My guess is that if you put either one of those guys with Tatar and Gallagher and they could put up 50-60 points or more in a season. Put them with Lehkonen and Weal and they probably won't crack 30. You need to build the line-up around these guys, not shove them into the spare holes.

3. Domi... pretty much the same thing. He needs scoring wingers to have success producing. So we pretty much come back to the same issue I talked about recently, which is that you have JK, NS, and Domi and the guy who has to be the odd man out is Danault. You just can't continue to give Danault 2 of your 3 best offensive wingers and expect the other guys to produce. Danault's giving you maybe 50 points on the top line. But Domi or JK or NS could potentially give you 70-80 points in that role, and Danault could be excellent as a 3rd line center with Lehkonen or Armia or so on. We don't have enough talented wingers to go around, so we need to reunite the best skilled players. As good as Danault has been, he's the guy who least needs to play with Tatar and Gallagher.

4. I don't think we need a full re-build. We have a lot of decent elements. We also have the likes of Romanov, Brook, Caufield, Ylonen, Primeau, etc coming soon, but JK, Suzuki, Mete, Fleury, Juulsen, Domi, Drouin, and so on are all relatively young and ready to be contributors now. The team needs to address the LHD position, and I'm still largely in favor of trading Weber, especially now that his value is high again. Lehkonen is fine as a 3rd-4th line winger, and like I said, I think you can put together a line of Lehkonen-Danault-Armia for example and have that be a good 3rd line shutdown trio. I'm also fine with a 4th line of Poehling-Thompson-Cousins, for example. But yeah, it doesn't make sense to have a 1st PP trio of Weal-Armia-Cousins and it doesn't make sense to go with a left side of your D that reads Mete-Chiarot-Kulak. And it doesn't make sense to ride Kinkaid when he's been no better than Niemi. This team isn't too many parts away from being a contender, but they need a GM who's willing to make the hard decisions (trading Weber, dealing a prospect or pick to find a LHD, cutting Kinkaid, etc.).

22 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Domi back at centre with Suzuki and Lehkonen, Hudon on JK's left wing with Armia on the right, Drouin chilling at practice watching his teammates with a cast around hift left forarm as per RDS.

https://www.rds.ca/hockey/canadiens/canadien-artturi-lehkonen-et-charles-hudon-promus-max-domi-de-retour-au-centre-1.7021618

Also looks like Reilly is in Kulak's spot

On 21.11.2019 at 6:58 AM, jeff33 said:

I totally get what you're saying but I think you're underselling our kids a little. Suzuki is currently tied for 2nd place in goals scored among rookies. Not sure he can keep this up but I'm pretty happy with what he's shown so far, even though he has started out on the fourth line. Kotkaniemi is facing adversity for the first time in his career and he's still one of the youngest guys in the league. I'm not making excuses but I really don't think there's reason for concern yet, considering he has only played 15 games this season. I feel it's about confidence at this point and I'm confident he'll come around eventually. As for Fleury, I haven't watched all of his games but he has looked pretty solid so far I think. Agreed on Poehling though, he hasn't shown much but he didn't really get much of a chance either.

Yeah, I'd love to have Makar or Svechnikov but so do 30 other teams. These guys are exceptional talents and right now you could probably make a pretty good case for them being the real #1 picks of their draft class. I'm not sure it's fair that we're using them as a benchmark for our guys.

1 hour ago, ChiLla said:

I totally get what you're saying but I think you're underselling our kids a little. Suzuki is currently tied for 2nd place in goals scored among rookies. Not sure he can keep this up but I'm pretty happy with what he's shown so far, even though he has started out on the fourth line. Kotkaniemi is facing adversity for the first time in his career and he's still one of the youngest guys in the league. I'm not making excuses but I really don't think there's reason for concern yet, considering he has only played 15 games this season. I feel it's about confidence at this point and I'm confident he'll come around eventually. As for Fleury, I haven't watched all of his games but he has looked pretty solid so far I think. Agreed on Poehling though, he hasn't shown much but he didn't really get much of a chance either.

Yeah, I'd love to have Makar or Svechnikov but so do 30 other teams. These guys are exceptional talents and right now you could probably make a pretty good case for them being the real #1 picks of their draft class. I'm not sure it's fair that we're using them as a benchmark for our guys.

don't get me wrong, I actually really like all of them and I am pretty optimistic about what they will become. my point was that until its tangibly happening its all just hopes and dreams, and what we are at this exact moment is nothing special.

Again, I do think they will eventually become our go to players and when that does indeed happen I think we will start looking like a serious contender. My critique was meant for this particular year and where we are

KK looked really good against ottawa, and I like him with hudon and armia a million times more than weal and lehks. looking forward to seeing how it looks on saturday 

On 2019-11-21 at 0:58 AM, jeff33 said:

What?!

Maybe we’re watching different teams, because I just can’t wrap my mind around this statement. At best I can sort of understand the part about going for it. Technically we do have the assets to make a move or two, so for that reason I can at least understand the idea of it, even if I disagree. But “full rebuild “? What about this team says “blow it up and try again”? This is the rebuild, it has been for a few years now. And I’d say it looks like it’s going pretty good. We are loaded with young, talented players with a fantasy mix of veterans in all of the right places. 

To blow up a rebuild on the fly that is working, and almost complete would be wildly painful.

1 hour ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

What?!

Maybe we’re watching different teams, because I just can’t wrap my mind around this statement. At best I can sort of understand the part about going for it. Technically we do have the assets to make a move or two, so for that reason I can at least understand the idea of it, even if I disagree. But “full rebuild “? What about this team says “blow it up and try again”? This is the rebuild, it has been for a few years now. And I’d say it looks like it’s going pretty good. We are loaded with young, talented players with a fantasy mix of veterans in all of the right places. 

To blow up a rebuild on the fly that is working, and almost complete would be wildly painful.

I agree with this and I don't really know how one would exactly blow it up ...the parts that expendable are for the most part mostly 3rd or 4th line players without severely gutting the identity and chemistry of the team ...it's a pretty young core all in all albeit no pure sniper but those are really difficult to pry out of teams or attain through the draft unless you're picking top 3 or 4 ...Suzuki is exceeding expectations  , Fleury is getting better , JK will come along and Poehling will be up as a steady player eventually but with the  3rd or 4th line ...Caulfield and Romanov I think will make the team next year ...Domi , Mete, Lehtonen  and Drouin are still under 25 and will be here for a few years ..I believe we were the youngest team in the NHL last year and still one of the youngest this year so the team is well on the way to a "rebuild " already ….I'm not unhappy with the season so far but like everyone of course there are  some cracks that need to be filled like most teams ...I think Bergevin would have filled them if the right player at the right price became available ...we'll never know about those possible trades anyway but it's possible 1/2 the fans would agree and 1/2 would disagree 

3 hours ago, ChiLla said:

To this I wpuld say Svechnikov ìs a great comparison in the fact that KK had similar numbers last year while getting significantly less playing time and inferior wingers. 

24 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

yeah, blow it up is definitely the wrong way to put it, there really isnt anything to blow up. Let's say I would like to see us be asproactive as possible to get some help in here. i like our supporting cast. if we are going for it lets go for it!

I've said this all along... either you improve your roster (especially your top-pairing LHD) or else you re-calculate your window. I don't see a point to hanging on to Weber and even Price if your plan is to make a run in 3 years. Right now, I'd say there are two levels of moves MB could make if he wanted to reset:

1. Trade Weber, Byron, and possible Price... Weber is the key here. He's a guy whose value has come back up but who is getting older and who isn't likely to be a key cog in a couple of years. If you want to maximize return, now is actually a great time to trade him. If you don't think you can win now and you think Primeau is the real deal, you also trade Price to stockpile younger players.

2. Assessing Petry, Gallagher, Danault, and Tatar. All 4 of those guys become UFA's in two summers. That's a big turning point for the Habs. If you haven't won with this group by then, that's it. There is a near-zero chance that all 4 of those guys are there after the summer of 2021. All of them will be paid. All of them will be past prime or very close to past prime and hard to justify giving big money to on a long-term deal. Most likely you look at keeping 2 and maybe 3 at an outside shot. The Habs clearly love Gallagher and I think they'll want to hold on to Danault, given that he's French and has been able to stand up to the pressure of being a local boy here. IMO, he's the next captain of the Canadiens after Weber leaves, assuming Danault himself is still here. I'm not sure how the team will view Petry, but if the organizational depth doesn't change much, you have potentially Weber still here with Brook, Juulsen, and Fleury also lining up down the right. There may be less of a need for Petry than there is now. Likewise, I have a hard time seeing Tatar back here after 2021.

So when making decisions, you need to factor in who you can protect for the Seattle expansion draft but you also need to figure the roster that starts 2021-22 doesn't have Petry, doesn't have Tatar, doesn't have Byron, and maybe doesn't have Weber, at least not as a a top pairing player. If you're not going all in to win a Cup prior to 2021-22 (i.e. in the next two years), then every move you make should be done with the idea that your roster in 2021 is going to change significantly and that you need players who can help you win after 2021 instead of before it.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

I've said this all along... either you improve your roster (especially your top-pairing LHD) or else you re-calculate your window. I don't see a point to hanging on to Weber and even Price if your plan is to make a run in 3 years. Right now, I'd say there are two levels of moves MB could make if he wanted to reset:

1. Trade Weber, Byron, and possible Price... Weber is the key here. He's a guy whose value has come back up but who is getting older and who isn't likely to be a key cog in a couple of years. If you want to maximize return, now is actually a great time to trade him. If you don't think you can win now and you think Primeau is the real deal, you also trade Price to stockpile younger players.

2. Assessing Petry, Gallagher, Danault, and Tatar. All 4 of those guys become UFA's in two summers. That's a big turning point for the Habs. If you haven't won with this group by then, that's it. There is a near-zero chance that all 4 of those guys are there after the summer of 2021. All of them will be paid. All of them will be past prime or very close to past prime and hard to justify giving big money to on a long-term deal. Most likely you look at keeping 2 and maybe 3 at an outside shot. The Habs clearly love Gallagher and I think they'll want to hold on to Danault, given that he's French and has been able to stand up to the pressure of being a local boy here. IMO, he's the next captain of the Canadiens after Weber leaves, assuming Danault himself is still here. I'm not sure how the team will view Petry, but if the organizational depth doesn't change much, you have potentially Weber still here with Brook, Juulsen, and Fleury also lining up down the right. There may be less of a need for Petry than there is now. Likewise, I have a hard time seeing Tatar back here after 2021.

So when making decisions, you need to factor in who you can protect for the Seattle expansion draft but you also need to figure the roster that starts 2021-22 doesn't have Petry, doesn't have Tatar, doesn't have Byron, and maybe doesn't have Weber, at least not as a a top pairing player. If you're not going all in to win a Cup prior to 2021-22 (i.e. in the next two years), then every move you make should be done with the idea that your roster in 2021 is going to change significantly and that you need players who can help you win after 2021 instead of before it.

So what I am getting from this is you think we should be entering years 9 and 10 of our 5 year plan with a third rebuild. That's rediculous! How much younger do you want to get I think our average age right now is like 25, I guess we could start playing just 18 to 20 year olds but I don't think that's the way to go. If you keep turning over the roster when you get within 2 years of contending then your never going to reach the ultimate goal of raising the cup. You said there are 2 options 1. Trade Weber, Price and Byron. 2. Reevaluate Tatar, Gallagher, Petry and Danault and trade 2 or 3 of them. I feel like the third and most realistic option and one that allows you to not only contend now but also for the next 8-10 years is trade for or sign the #1LHD we need and the top 6 forward without giving up too many prospects or picks which I know is a balancing act but can be done. All the while slowly replace some of the aging guys with younger guys as need be. So say we get Hall for Lehkonen, Mete, 2021 1st and Yelonen. Then we get Leddy for Byron, 2020 2nd and Norlander before the deadline. You would need to bring one or two more guys up from the farm so maybe Barber and Varone. Then you line up.

Tatar-Domi/Kotkaniemi-Gallagher 

Drouin-Domi/Kotkaniemi-Hall

Hudon-Danault-Armia

Cousins-Thompson-Weal

Leddy-Weber

Kulak-Petry

Chiarot-Fleury

Juulsen

Price

Kinkaid

Then next season Romanov, Poehling and Caufield are ready so you let Thompson go to FA and insert Poehling. Trade Armia or Hudon and put Gally back with Danault and Caufield in the top 6. Trade Kulak or Chiarot and add Romanov. The next season Petry goes to FA or is traded at the deadline and Brook comes up. That's how you build a continuous contender. That type of format could easily make you a contender for the next 8-10 years perhaps longer if you keep up with picks and trades.

I almost forgot Price so next year and the year after you ride Pice with Primeau as back up then his third and fourth years split the time then Price becomes the backup or retires.

7 hours ago, jeff33 said:

don't get me wrong, I actually really like all of them and I am pretty optimistic about what they will become. my point was that until its tangibly happening its all just hopes and dreams, and what we are at this exact moment is nothing special.

Again, I do think they will eventually become our go to players and when that does indeed happen I think we will start looking like a serious contender. My critique was meant for this particular year and where we are

KK looked really good against ottawa, and I like him with hudon and armia a million times more than weal and lehks. looking forward to seeing how it looks on saturday 

That's definitely an assessment I agree with. Our roster still has gaping holes, even more so now that Drouin is out. With everybody healthy, I do think we have a fighting chance at making the playoffs – with several other teams on the same level as us. So a lot will depened on what's happening now after losing one of our best forwards for 2+ months. Either way, a serious contender we are not.

20 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

That's definitely an assessment I agree with. Our roster still has gaping holes, even more so now that Drouin is out. With everybody healthy, I do think we have a fighting chance at making the playoffs – with several other teams on the same level as us. So a lot will depened on what's happening now after losing one of our best forwards for 2+ months. Either way, a serious contender we are not.

Ya know, I'm an optimist. Especially when it comes to the Habs. Until they are officially eliminated from the POs, I will always hope that they can make it.

10 hours ago, campabee82 said:

So what I am getting from this is you think we should be entering years 9 and 10 of our 5 year plan with a third rebuild. That's rediculous! How much younger do you want to get I think our average age right now is like 25, I guess we could start playing just 18 to 20 year olds but I don't think that's the way to go. If you keep turning over the roster when you get within 2 years of contending then your never going to reach the ultimate goal of raising the cup. You said there are 2 options 1. Trade Weber, Price and Byron. 2. Reevaluate Tatar, Gallagher, Petry and Danault and trade 2 or 3 of them. I feel like the third and most realistic option and one that allows you to not only contend now but also for the next 8-10 years is trade for or sign the #1LHD we need and the top 6 forward without giving up too many prospects or picks which I know is a balancing act but can be done. All the while slowly replace some of the aging guys with younger guys as need be. So say we get Hall for Lehkonen, Mete, 2021 1st and Yelonen. Then we get Leddy for Byron, 2020 2nd and Norlander before the deadline. You would need to bring one or two more guys up from the farm so maybe Barber and Varone. Then you line up.

Tatar-Domi/Kotkaniemi-Gallagher 

Drouin-Domi/Kotkaniemi-Hall

Hudon-Danault-Armia

Cousins-Thompson-Weal

Leddy-Weber

Kulak-Petry

Chiarot-Fleury

Juulsen

Price

Kinkaid

Then next season Romanov, Poehling and Caufield are ready so you let Thompson go to FA and insert Poehling. Trade Armia or Hudon and put Gally back with Danault and Caufield in the top 6. Trade Kulak or Chiarot and add Romanov. The next season Petry goes to FA or is traded at the deadline and Brook comes up. That's how you build a continuous contender. That type of format could easily make you a contender for the next 8-10 years perhaps longer if you keep up with picks and trades.

I almost forgot Price so next year and the year after you ride Pice with Primeau as back up then his third and fourth years split the time then Price becomes the backup or retires.

I think you misread my post... I said there are two options:

1. Go all in and acquire a top pairing LHD

or

2. Look at re-tooling your roster. If you do this, then you have two time periods to look at making moves. The first is now, where you'd want to move Weber while his value is high. The second is that you're on the clock for the summer of 2021, when you need to make decisions about Petry, Danault, Tatar, and Gallagher... and for me, the summer of 2021 likely spells the end of our ability to retain Tatar and probably Petry.

So to reiterate, I did not say we needed to rebuild now. I said the roster right now is not enough as is to contend for a Cup and MB needs to make a decision about what his plan is. Is he trying to build around his current roster to actually win something rather than just struggle to make the playoffs. Or is he saying that it's too difficult to fill the holes on his roster (top LHD, sniper, back-up goalie). If it's the latter, then he should re-calculate his window. There's no sense in holding onto Weber, Tatar, and Petry if you don't think you can win a Cup this year or next. Otherwise, they're just getting older, with the latter two heading towards big pay days as UFA's in two years.

I'm not saying whether going for it now or building for the future is a better plan (part of that depends on what is available via trade for MB and at what price), but I don't like the idea of status quo and having important holes on the roster whereby you have virtually no shot at a Cup and are just a middling team watching its assets depreciate. To make my point more clear, maybe an analogy... say an Olympic figure skater or diver or mogul jumper is sitting in 5th place after the first round and has one more chance to move up in the standings. They could go for a safe routine and guarantee they'd finish around 5th but with virtually no chance of moving up or they could go for a risky move and if they hit it, have a true shot at winning a medal. MB needs to make that decision... right now, he's playing it safe and aiming just to make the playoffs but he's got no chance of winning. Yes, if he makes a trade and it fails then he's lost prospects or picks for nothing, but if it works then he's got a real shot at winning something important. To me, just being on the fringe of the playoffs (the safe route) is a bad plan. Something needs to change one way or the other.

• H_T_L locked this topic