The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2019-20 State Of The Habs

H_T_L

Well the team is starting to show some backbone again kind of like last year. we have some key players out and we have stopped the losses if we can keep a reasonable record until we get some guy's back we could be ok. Webber is playing great right now and Chiarot is right there with him this is taking some heat off of Petry so the d is looking ok for now. the forwards are in tough shape but our main line of tuna Gally and Dano keeps rolling and Suzuki just seems to be pretty much NHL ready if Domi could get rolling we would be pretty solid until Byron and Drouin get back. KK seems to be gone for a good bit but it does give some of the guy's in Laval a shot and as long as his injury is not too severe it may do him some good to take a break he was having an up and down second season.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

I think the problem is we don’t have anyone on the team to take care of that sort of business. All four of our lines are built for speed and skill. We have a few players with grit, that hit (Fleury throws some bombs!), but who’s going to drop the gloves? Thompson? Well? Cousins? Peca? I haven’t seen anything from Chairot that suggests he’s the guy for that. 

The last thing we want to try to do is attempt to rebuild the Broadstreet Bullies, but this is an area that warrants attention. What happens when (if) we run into Washington, Boston, NYR in the playoffs? Who’s going to keep the likes of Wilson, Marchand, Lemieux in check?

I suggest kicking the tires on Lemieux. Any guesses what that would cost us? That guy is a beaut! I’d love to see him mixed into our bottom six somewhere. The guys got some hands too!

I think the play involving JK was sneaky dirty with  no immediate on the ice conclusive evidence ...I think Weber when called upon is about a tough in a fight as just about anybody in the League ...Chiarot can throw them as well ..maybe Fleury can fight , Domi doesn't shy away ...Thompson has fought already this year …....the league just isn't fighting much anymore and every roster spot is on most teams is now being filled with more skilled speedy players than the traditional goon ...even to make it to the NHL you have to be tough 

52 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

I think the play involving JK was sneaky dirty with  no immediate on the ice conclusive evidence ...I think Weber when called upon is about a tough in a fight as just about anybody in the League ...Chiarot can throw them as well ..maybe Fleury can fight , Domi doesn't shy away ...Thompson has fought already this year …....the league just isn't fighting much anymore and every roster spot is on most teams is now being filled with more skilled speedy players than the traditional goon ...even to make it to the NHL you have to be tough 

The problem with the crappy refs is the teams will start handing out their own justice again.

11 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

The problem with the crappy refs is the teams will start handing out their own justice again.

Trouble is that no-one stepped up for KK. That needs to be addressed. 

Poehling sent back down which sort of sucks for the kid because he had a pretty strong game last night but i assume that means someone is coming back to the lineup (Byron)?

I know it looks crappy to sent Poehling down but keep guys like Weal or Peca (who may also be the one coming back) but my guess is that Bouchard is still working on things with Poehling and i assume his demotion is only temporary.  He certainly didnt look out of place last night.

4 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Poehling sent back down which sort of sucks for the kid because he had a pretty strong game last night but i assume that means someone is coming back to the lineup (Byron)?

I know it looks crappy to sent Poehling down but keep guys like Weal or Peca (who may also be the one coming back) but my guess is that Bouchard is still working on things with Poehling and i assume his demotion is only temporary.  He certainly didnt look out of place last night.

Of course we send him down, the team plays well, Poehling played really well.  We must throw a monkey wrench into this.  MB and CJ make no sense to me what so ever. 

Missed last night's game but just noticed that with Suzuki, Primeau, Leskinen, Fleury, and Poehling, we had 5 rookies in the lineup. That is probably a pretty rare occurence in the NHL, especially when you're not officially in rebuild mode :rolleyes:

13 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Missed last night's game but just noticed that with Suzuki, Primeau, Leskinen, Fleury, and Poehling, we had 5 rookies in the lineup. That is probably a pretty rare occurence in the NHL, especially when you're not officially in rebuild mode :rolleyes:

it looks like Leskinen might stick around for a while for his steady play , Primeau has looked good but won't play most games unless there's a back to back , Fleury is staying , Suzuki is staying ..and I think Poehling is actually good enough to stay as well but Montreal is sending him down to play more minutes on the top lines in Laval …..I doubt there is another team playing as many rookies 

55 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

Of course we send him down, the team plays well, Poehling played really well.  We must throw a monkey wrench into this.  MB and CJ make no sense to me what so ever. 

I don't get this comment ….the team is starting to win again with players from Laval coming up and going down because of multiple injuries ...why throw a monkey wrench into this over Poehling being sent down to play more than 10 minutes a game ?...MB signed Cousins and he's doing his job , he signed Thompson same thing , he signed Riley Barber who has filled in adequately , same with Weal, same with Peca same with Leskinen who is now playing a regular shift ….. so I don't get what's making no sense right now 

1 hour ago, 26NCounting said:

Poehling played decently, not really well.   He was invisible for a few shifts as well and at times seem defensively confused.   Better for Poehling to get top 6 minutes in Laval than 8-9 mins a game on the 4th line in NHL.

30 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

I don't get this comment ….the team is starting to win again with players from Laval coming up and going down because of multiple injuries ...why throw a monkey wrench into this over Poehling being sent down to play more than 10 minutes a game ?...MB signed Cousins and he's doing his job , he signed Thompson same thing , he signed Riley Barber who has filled in adequately , same with Weal, same with Peca same with Leskinen who is now playing a regular shift ….. so I don't get what's making no sense right now 

I would also add that Bouchard has been doing a seemingly amazing job developing guys in Laval.  Its not the abyss that was lefebvre team - actual good development is being done in Laval right now.  Poehling looked good but there's no doubt he still has a bit of adapting to do.  I dont have an issue with him being sent down, assuming he gets a fair chance when its time to come back up. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

1 hour ago, 26NCounting said:

There may be a logical reason for sending him down which is simply to extend his waiver exemption window. If we keep him for more than 10 games or 30 days from when he was called up on the 10th that means that he would need to pass through waivers if not sent back down before the 2nd of Jan. when he would play his 10th game against the Lightening.  By sending him down now we increase his window to the 6th if he misses the Detroit game. I also see them calling him back up on the 17th for the Vancouver game and sending him back down after that so that they don't have to waste days off during the Christmas roster freeze.

1 minute ago, 26NCounting said:

You could be right, however my thought is that sending him down to make room for Byron is a huge mistake.  Even when healthy this season Byron has been invisible, I would much rather see Poehling play in Byrons spot until Byron can get his game back to form

So, you waive Byron and lose him for nothing?   Poehling is waiver exempt.   Sure it could be argued we could send Barber down over Poehling, as he's still waiver exempt for a few more games.    However, Barber is older and really can't develop much further and so its not affecting key development time playing on the 4th line, Poehling on the other hand would benefit far more from increased ice time and responsibility in the top 6 in Laval.

And how is Byron supposed to get his game back if Poehling has taken his spot?  On the 4th line, because that's where Poehling played.  What line do you propose Byron play on, the 5th? the dressing room?

Byron was not scoring but was still playing qood defence if he can get his step back he is a very good player who will help this team. the younger players a far better of in laval this year getting some structure as they have all looked good when they come up which leads me to think they are being well coached in laval. no point rushing them if they can get lots of good ice there.

8 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

There may be a logical reason for sending him down which is simply to extend his waiver exemption window. If we keep him for more than 10 games or 30 days from when he was called up on the 10th that means that he would need to pass through waivers if not sent back down before the 2nd of Jan. when he would play his 10th game against the Lightening.  By sending him down now we increase his window to the 6th if he misses the Detroit game. I also see them calling him back up on the 17th for the Vancouver game and sending him back down after that so that they don't have to waste days off during the Christmas roster freeze.

Poehling is waiver exempt. 

Lets also be realistic.   Poehling is a project.   He was a late first round choice who was drafted as a safe pick to at least top out as a 3rd line checking center.    The big question mark around him has and still is what his offensive game will develop into.    He's not going to develop that playing on the 4th line in the NHL and it is definitely something HE needs to work on.     I find it somewhat amusing how many people think he's going to be some stud player, when reality is our two future offensive studs are Suzuki and JK and Poehling was never scouted or touted as one.   Poehling will be similar to Danault if everything works out, get you some offense but be the responsible pivot on a line with two offensive players.

14 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

So, you waive Byron and lose him for nothing?   Poehling is waiver exempt.   Sure it could be argued we could send Barber down over Poehling, as he's still waiver exempt for a few more games.    However, Barber is older and really can't develop much further and so its not affecting key development time playing on the 4th line, Poehling on the other hand would benefit far more from increased ice time and responsibility in the top 6 in Laval.

And how is Byron supposed to get his game back if Poehling has taken his spot?  On the 4th line, because that's where Poehling played.  What line do you propose Byron play on, the 5th? the dressing room?

You are more than likely correct, I just hate to see any shake to the line up after playing so well last night.

2 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Lets also be realistic.   Poehling is a project.   He was a late first round choice who was drafted as a safe pick to at least top out as a 3rd line checking center.    The big question mark around him has and still is what his offensive game will develop into.    He's not going to develop that playing on the 4th line in the NHL and it is definitely something HE needs to work on.     I find it somewhat amusing how many people think he's going to be some stud player, when reality is our two future offensive studs are Suzuki and JK and Poehling was never scouted or touted as one.   Poehling will be similar to Danault if everything works out, get you some offense but be the responsible pivot on a line with two offensive players.

I feel this is so far off the mark, I personally believe Poehling will be a first line center,  I think past history shows it doesn't really matter where a player is drafted compared to their NHL potential. If given a real opportunity he will far surpass JK,  I have followed this kid through college, World Junior and now AHL

1 minute ago, 26NCounting said:

You are more than likely correct, I just hate to see any shake to the line up after playing so well last night.

I feel this is so far off the mark, I personally believe Poehling will be a first line center,  I think past history shows it doesn't really matter where a player is drafted compared to their NHL potential. If given a real opportunity he will far surpass JK,  I have followed this kid through college, World Junior and now AHL

He went in the bottom half of the draft for a very good reason ... he will never develop into a first line center and people need to check their expectations.    We want to talk about past history?  His last year in college he wasn't even the first line center on that team.    He lacks the vision and hockey smarts to surpass JK nevermind Suzuki.    There's a reason JK was expected to go 5th and Suzuki was originally touted as a top 3 pick (I believe if he was Nick Smith instead if Nick Suzuki he would have been).   24 other teams passed on Poehling, his scouting report and expectations from numerous sources are clear :  Middle 6 forward, checking center ala Danault.

28 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

He went in the bottom half of the draft for a very good reason ... he will never develop into a first line center and people need to check their expectations.    We want to talk about past history?  His last year in college he wasn't even the first line center on that team.    He lacks the vision and hockey smarts to surpass JK nevermind Suzuki.    There's a reason JK was expected to go 5th and Suzuki was originally touted as a top 3 pick (I believe if he was Nick Smith instead if Nick Suzuki he would have been).   24 other teams passed on Poehling, his scouting report and expectations from numerous sources are clear :  Middle 6 forward, checking center ala Danault.

well I for one would be happy if Poehling ended up like Danault ...that being said there were unrealistic expectations after his first NHL game by some fans ...I do think he will be  a solid defensively responsible center with some offensive capabilities who needs to work on aspects of his game not the least of which is his face-off ability ...going back to the AHL gives him that opportunity 

• H_T_L locked this topic