The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2019-20 State Of The Habs

H_T_L

3 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Not sure how anyone can look at this roster and believe they are a Cup contender next year. Even if they're healthy. Even if they find a LHD. This team is several pieces away and their best pieces are getting older. The only smart plan is to move Tatar and Petry now and to move Weber during the off-season.

Yeah we heard you.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Yeah we heard you.

And like I've said, I'm not being negative about this to be a bad fan or because I dislike the Habs. I wouldn't be here if I wanted bad things for the team. I simply think the best route to getting this team back on track is a reset. We missed the window for Price/Pacioretty/Subban/Weber/Petry/Plekanec/Markov to do anything. Best thing now is to cut our losses and figure out when the next window we have to actually be a dominant team is. It's not this year and it' not next year. Like I've said, once the Habs accept that they will not be a Cup contender next year, the plan is very clear. Petry, Tatar, Weber, etc. shouldn't be a big part of your plan for 2021 onwards, so hard to justify keeping them now, when their trade value is probably enormous.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

And like I've said, I'm not being negative about this to be a bad fan or because I dislike the Habs. I wouldn't be here if I wanted bad things for the team. I simply think the best route to getting this team back on track is a reset. We missed the window for Price/Pacioretty/Subban/Weber/Petry/Plekanec/Markov to do anything. Best thing now is to cut our losses and figure out when the next window we have to actually be a dominant team is. It's not this year and it' not next year. Like I've said, once the Habs accept that they will not be a Cup contender next year, the plan is very clear. Petry, Tatar, Weber, etc. shouldn't be a big part of your plan for 2021 onwards, so hard to justify keeping them now, when their trade value is probably enormous.

Even just tweaking the roster, I think we are closer to 2-3 years away ... by which time Weber will be that much more banged up, Carey that more checked out etc ...  like you, I'm not being a bad fan, I simply think the best route to ongoing success is for the Habs to just blow it all up, trade everyone taht isn't going to be a key piece 3-4 years from now (not the 2-3 before you start getting results).

7 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Even just tweaking the roster, I think we are closer to 2-3 years away ... by which time Weber will be that much more banged up, Carey that more checked out etc ...  like you, I'm not being a bad fan, I simply think the best route to ongoing success is for the Habs to just blow it all up, trade everyone taht isn't going to be a key piece 3-4 years from now (not the 2-3 before you start getting results).

In 2 or 3 years they will need to replace Weber , Price etc . So they will still  suck  to put it bluntly . 

8 hours ago, Regis22 said:

In 2 or 3 years they will need to replace Weber , Price etc . So they will still  suck  to put it bluntly . 

Yup which is why I stated we should blow it up ... Price, Weber, Petry, Tatar, Kovalchuk at the minimum.    If ever there was a draft to do it, it's this years.

1 hour ago, HabsAlways said:

Another pair of assists for KK the other night after being held pointless for 3 games, 9 pts in 8 games in Laval ... only concern is no goals on 19 shots

Bigger concern, Poehling getting a lot of icetime but 0 pts in 5 games since being sent down and now has 12 pts in 31 AHL games.

Yeah. I don't know about Poehling being anything more than a bottom six forward at the AHL/NHL level. He might have a long and successful NHL career, but he was never pegged as a scorer, was he? I suppose, all the same, you'd hope he would be scoring more in Laval. Shame.

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yeah. I don't know about Poehling being anything more than a bottom six forward at the AHL/NHL level. He might have a long and successful NHL career, but he was never pegged as a scorer, was he? I suppose, all the same, you'd hope he would be scoring more in Laval. Shame.

true ...he's never lit it up at any level ...worst thing that could have happened was getting a hat  trick in his first game ( although because it was against Toronto it's more than acceptable )...expectations became too high for this kid ...I think he'll develop into a decent NHLer but it will be in a defensive roll with a smattering of scoring ...maybe .That's what happens when a team has to pick in the mid to late 20's in the draft ...I like having draft picks but trading assets for late 1st rounders makes it a bit of a crap shoot ..I'd rather Bergevin trades for a warmer already drafted prospect body with upside ...Petry will get you that 

3 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

Another pair of assists for KK the other night after being held pointless for 3 games, 9 pts in 8 games in Laval ... only concern is no goals on 19 shots

Bigger concern, Poehling getting a lot of icetime but 0 pts in 5 games since being sent down and now has 12 pts in 31 AHL games.

You have to remember that Bouchard is all about development.  

He will specifically tell guys "I dont care if you dont score. I dont care if we lose the game: this is what you need to work on"     He's been very clear that his job is  to get players who will one day be in the NHL ready to be the best NHL players they can be.  It sucks for the career AHLers (and the Laval fans) but it does explain why sometimes guys wont look so good down there but we shouldnt worry too much.  Brook is a perfect example - people were freaking out when they heard he was playing 4th line wing but Bouchard said that the whole plan was for him to see his offence in a different way. They weren't converting him to a winger, they were working on making him a better defensman. 

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

When Poehling was in College people were worried he wouldnt sign but I didnt want to trade him because i felt like his value was low. After the hat trick (and that WJC performance) this summer his value was at an absolute all-time high.  I actually advocated moving him before the season started if it helped us get that elusive young LD.   Now his value is probably lower than its been in 2 years.  Doesnt mean he wont bounce back but like you im not convinced he'll be more than a 3rd line player. Still good, still useful and probably something we still need, but I feel like if we had moved him this summer we could have turned it into an even bette asset.  Of course its easy now to say that with Suzuki looking like a first line centre etc. 

13 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Canadiens acquire forwards Joseph Blandisi, Jacob Lucchini from Penguins

Forwards Riley Barber and Phil Varone are traded to Pittsburgh; Blandisi and Lucchini will report to Laval (AHL)

Damn. :lol:

Could we have made a more irrelevant trade? :rolleyes: I guess there's nothing wrong with it, but, why? Are Varone and Barber holding the Laval Rocket back from the post-season or something?

34 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Canadiens acquire forwards Joseph Blandisi, Jacob Lucchini from Penguins

Forwards Riley Barber and Phil Varone are traded to Pittsburgh; Blandisi and Lucchini will report to Laval (AHL)

And MB did it all from Colorado too,,,,, not an easy task for him. 

27 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Could we have made a more irrelevant trade? :rolleyes: I guess there's nothing wrong with it, but, why? Are Varone and Barber holding the Laval Rocket back from the post-season or something?

Well,,,, Varone is a UFA so,,,,, :4224:

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Not only is a 'nothing' trade but now im craving pasta. 

Jake Lucchini - an undrafted College kid (WCHA) who has 22 pts in 68 career AHL games

Joseph Blandisi - 6th round pick in 2012 then posted112pts in 68 games for the Barrie Colts as an 20 year old.  Since then 31 pts in 101 career NHL games, unimpressive in NHL, unimpressive in AHL .... sounds like we just found our new guy for the #1 PP

• H_T_L locked this topic