Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2019-20 State Of The Habs


H_T_L
 Share

Recommended Posts

i think the main point of the trade was moving 2 players who were UFA and getting back two players who were RFA.   Its fine asset management by MB - albeit nothing very important from the stanpoint of the big club although i could see Blandisi getting a call up at some point.

 

On a brighter note, i just realized that Suzuki has put up 25 points in his last 28 games.  Wow. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Not only is a 'nothing' trade but now im craving pasta. 

 Of course this is not a significant trade . Montreal took on $125,000 more ( pro-rated = peanuts ) to acquire  2 guys 24 and 25 yrs old and both RFAs for 2 guys who are 26 and 29 yrs old with one set to be a UFA....I don't have a problem with shuffling around players if your farm team gets younger...Montreal can take a look at them in Laval to see if it's worth keeping them  at RFA cheap salaries or simply let them go with no damage done .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tuna saying he wants to stay in Montreal. I don't have a problem if his ask and term is flexible and reasonable. Don't want to see a repeat of the Radulov situation though. All assuming we either get a new GM that can get it done or he get's off his high horse and actually fills some glaring holes with actual talent rather then his bandaid solutions

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Tuna saying he wants to stay in Montreal. I don't have a problem if his ask and term is flexible and reasonable. Don't want to see a repeat of the Radulov situation though. All assuming we either get a new GM that can get it done or he get's off his high horse and actually fills some glaring holes with actual talent rather then his bandaid solutions

 As suggested before a 3 yr extension at $6 mill is only 1.2 mill more to keep your top scorer until he's 33 and more than likely still a tradeable asset during that stretch  if he'd go for that and I think he would I'd  be ok with it …... but lots of fans here want to trade him ...to me it must be at least a top end prospect  and a high pick back if that's the deal

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

 As suggested before a 3 yr extension at $6 mill is only 1.2 mill more to keep your top scorer until he's 33 and more than likely still a tradeable asset during that stretch  if he'd go for that and I think he would I'd  be ok with it …... but lots of fans here want to trade him ...to me it must be at least a top end prospect  and a high pick back if that's the deal

Im fine with 4 more years of Tuna (next year + the following 3) but I would imagine that at his age he would want 5-6 years, no? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

 As suggested before a 3 yr extension at $6 mill is only 1.2 mill more to keep your top scorer until he's 33 and more than likely still a tradeable asset during that stretch  if he'd go for that and I think he would I'd  be ok with it …... but lots of fans here want to trade him ...to me it must be at least a top end prospect  and a high pick back if that's the deal

I don't see Tatar going for anything less than 5 years, possibly 6 ... a 3 year contract at age 30 means he's 33 and trying to sign again and could be looking at a reduced salary if he's regressed.   Second, he's not siginging for 6m a year ... not when he's the top scorer on the team.  Expect at least 7m per year for 5-6 years as his demand.   I wouldn't be surprised if he could fetch 7-8m on the open market even.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

I don't see Tatar going for anything less than 5 years, possibly 6 ... a 3 year contract at age 30 means he's 33 and trying to sign again and could be looking at a reduced salary if he's regressed.   Second, he's not siginging for 6m a year ... not when he's the top scorer on the team.  Expect at least 7m per year for 5-6 years as his demand.   I wouldn't be surprised if he could fetch 7-8m on the open market even.

Yeah I'm probably dreaming  but he doesn't strike me as a particularly greedy player either . He has his gym and other interests back home and for we know he could be planning to go back before he's completely spent and play in a European League or just retire . I think that's why he likes Montreal because it has a European flavour  ...whether he would settle for 3 more yrs extension which would take him to 33-34 and 4 more years from this point is another thing ...but the point is he's comfortable in Montreal and has made lots of cash already in hockey so....discount ? …who knows ? .....maybe his wife would  dissuade him either way lol...also I don't see him regressing , he's a fitness freak and his wheels are still pretty good . That being said if he is to be traded he will fetch something significant .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Looks like we may have lost another D tonight (Ouellet) and i haven't heard another word about Mete,,, so who gets the call next game? Will they bring back the kid (Fleury) or just throw in the towel and bring back Alzner?

Pretty sure it will be Fleury. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, I-Am-Canadian_mtl said:

Lehkonen a healthy scratch tonight? Has he been traded? Week find out tomorrow I guess!

 

3 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

In his presser, CJ said that the 4th line was playing really good and Gally was back. 

 

Ya, CJ's pregame words were  "He (Lehks) can do better" so it sounds like an actual healthy scratch.  Seems odd to me but its possible there's a deal in play & they dont want to mention it in case it falls through.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

4 hours ago, maas_art said:

 

 

Ya, CJ's pregame words were  "He (Lehks) can do better" so it sounds like an actual healthy scratch.  Seems odd to me but its possible there's a deal in play & they dont want to mention it in case it falls through.

Must be the death blow. Why else would we be publicly critical of a player's effort if we weren't about to get rid of him? Gotta lower that value,,, right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Lehkonen a healthy scratch? So bizarre to see. Has he ever been a healthy scratch in his entire time with the team? If he were to get traded, I would certainly be sad to see him go, but he is replaceable and does have trade value (IMO).

I like Lehks too but is he much more than a 3rd liner? He has a reasonable two way game but if he could fetch any type of scoring punch then I’m ok with giving him up 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Lehkonen a healthy scratch? So bizarre to see. Has he ever been a healthy scratch in his entire time with the team? If he were to get traded, I would certainly be sad to see him go, but he is replaceable and does have trade value (IMO).

From Sportsnet :

 

“I’m looking for guys who are ready to go through the trenches to win a hockey game,” Julien said earlier on Thursday. “That’s what we’re looking for as an organization. We want guys that are willing to push through and do those kind of things.”

It’s those comments that made his decision to scratch Artturi Lehkonen against the Capitals so shocking.

The 24-year-old Finn has played through his fair share of bumps and bruises this season, but it’s never stopped him from being the type of player Julien admires, the type of player the coach was describing in his answer to that Thursday morning question about Weber.

We’re talking about a player who had appeared in all 62 games the Canadiens had played prior to this one; a player who had 12 goals and 25 points despite being heavily depended on in a shutdown role; a player who is consistently relied on at 5-on-5 and on the penalty kill; a player known for having arguably the best work ethic on the team; a player who was the first to come down with stomach flu that later ravaged the team over the last few weeks (he didn’t miss a shift); a player who was clearly stung when he blocked an Auston Matthews shot with his hand seven games ago (but it didn’t keep him out of action for more than a period).
 
Scratching him makes no sense to me
 
Especially when Julien defends it with :
 
“At the same time, he needs to be able to make plays and that’s what we need from him. It’s as simple as that. At the end of the day, it wasn’t so much that you’re totally displeased with a player, but you got a guy like (Jordan) Weal, you got a guy like (Nick) Cousins who’s been playing well. If we’re going to reward guys that are playing well, that’s what I had to do tonight. I had to keep those guys in the lineup. And Paulie Byron’s back, so the competition… I didn’t have that luxury most of the season, I have it now.”
 
Jordan Weal and Nick Cousins are AHL fodder ... and have no business on an NHL team.   Lehkonen is a solid 3rd line two way forward
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, claremont said:

I like Lehks too but is he much more than a 3rd liner? He has a reasonable two way game but if he could fetch any type of scoring punch then I’m ok with giving him up 

Yup Lehks is a 3rd line checking forward ... a very dependable, hard working player who a lot of teams would take.     When you scratch him over Cousins, Byron, Weal ... well enough said.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

From Sportsnet :

 

“I’m looking for guys who are ready to go through the trenches to win a hockey game,” Julien said earlier on Thursday. “That’s what we’re looking for as an organization. We want guys that are willing to push through and do those kind of things.”

It’s those comments that made his decision to scratch Artturi Lehkonen against the Capitals so shocking.

The 24-year-old Finn has played through his fair share of bumps and bruises this season, but it’s never stopped him from being the type of player Julien admires, the type of player the coach was describing in his answer to that Thursday morning question about Weber.

We’re talking about a player who had appeared in all 62 games the Canadiens had played prior to this one; a player who had 12 goals and 25 points despite being heavily depended on in a shutdown role; a player who is consistently relied on at 5-on-5 and on the penalty kill; a player known for having arguably the best work ethic on the team; a player who was the first to come down with stomach flu that later ravaged the team over the last few weeks (he didn’t miss a shift); a player who was clearly stung when he blocked an Auston Matthews shot with his hand seven games ago (but it didn’t keep him out of action for more than a period).
 
Scratching him makes no sense to me
 
Especially when Julien defends it with :
 
“At the same time, he needs to be able to make plays and that’s what we need from him. It’s as simple as that. At the end of the day, it wasn’t so much that you’re totally displeased with a player, but you got a guy like (Jordan) Weal, you got a guy like (Nick) Cousins who’s been playing well. If we’re going to reward guys that are playing well, that’s what I had to do tonight. I had to keep those guys in the lineup. And Paulie Byron’s back, so the competition… I didn’t have that luxury most of the season, I have it now.”
 
Jordan Weal and Nick Cousins are AHL fodder ... and have no business on an NHL team.   Lehkonen is a solid 3rd line two way forward

Ive defended Julien most of the year saying "he can only do so much with this roster" but i think im done with that now.

I like Nick Cousins and i think Jordan Weal has some value too - but neither of them would be any higher than the 11th or 12th forward on my roster.  I certainly wouldnt scratch an all-around better player like Lehkonen for either of them.  Heck at this point i wouldnt scratch Lehks for Byron!  I think Julien has lost the plot unless there's more to this than we know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Ive defended Julien most of the year saying "he can only do so much with this roster" but i think im done with that now.

I like Nick Cousins and i think Jordan Weal has some value too - but neither of them would be any higher than the 11th or 12th forward on my roster.  I certainly wouldnt scratch an all-around better player like Lehkonen for either of them.  Heck at this point i wouldnt scratch Lehks for Byron!  I think Julien has lost the plot unless there's more to this than we know.

Danault and Gallagher were asked about it in that article, Danault speculated "maybe it's deadline stuff, I don't know" 

If it isn't, there's zero justification scratching Lehkonen who is top 9.    Yes, he may only be a 3rd line player, but he can play on a 2nd line in a pinch to give it some defensive responsibility ... he's definitely not a 4th line plug like Cousins/Weal.      But when you see Julien consistently throw those two out on the power play you gotta wonder.   Lehkonen has more goals and points than either of them, but you don't see him out on the PP.     Lets not even start talking about the PK and how valuable Lehkonen is there in comparison to those two.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mysideofthemirror said:

My only thought is they're trying to boost the Trade value of those 4th line guys prior to the deadline.  They know what they have in Lehkonen, they want to keep him.

However there's a bunch of 4th liners and other LW's who are on the chopping block, gotta play em to keep their value up.

At this point i think a rival GM knows what they are getting with Weal or Weise etc.  I dont think it makes any sense.

It could possibly be keeping Lehks out because of a trade in the works, but by the sounds of things a bunch of our players have been enquired about so you'd have to keep a lot of them out of the lineup if thats the case.

 

1 hour ago, habs1952 said:

Trading Lehkonen makes about as much sense as it did trading Eller at the time.

Ya.  Young, cheap, good all round player - lets dump him.  lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mysideofthemirror said:

My only thought is they're trying to boost the Trade value of those 4th line guys prior to the deadline.  They know what they have in Lehkonen, they want to keep him.

However there's a bunch of 4th liners and other LW's who are on the chopping block, gotta play em to keep their value up.

   bingo!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...