The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2019-20 State Of The Habs

H_T_L

I don't think they sat Lehkonen to trade him or he'd probably already be dealt if they were that close. We don't see them sitting Kovalchuk or Thompson or so on, and there are higher odds of those guys going.

Best theory in my view is the one that they wanted to play other guys to showcase them. You look at the line-up, and guys they might be considering trading include Kovalchuk, Domi, Drouin, Tatar, Weal, Cousins, and Thompson. Maybe even Byron, to prove he's healthy and can play in the top 9 again. And it's not likely the Habs would sit their two favorite players (Danault and Gallagher) or their best performer in the past 2 months (Suzuki). So it almost came down to sitting Lehkonen or Armia to make room for others. Maybe it's nothing more than that.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I don't think they sat Lehkonen to trade him or he'd probably already be dealt if they were that close. We don't see them sitting Kovalchuk or Thompson or so on, and there are higher odds of those guys going.

Best theory in my view is the one that they wanted to play other guys to showcase them. You look at the line-up, and guys they might be considering trading include Kovalchuk, Domi, Drouin, Tatar, Weal, Cousins, and Thompson. Maybe even Byron, to prove he's healthy and can play in the top 9 again. And it's not likely the Habs would sit their two favorite players (Danault and Gallagher) or their best performer in the past 2 months (Suzuki). So it almost came down to sitting Lehkonen or Armia to make room for others. Maybe it's nothing more than that.

Honestly, I don't see the point at all in trading a guy like Lehkonen. I wouldn't put it past Bergevin because tinkering is what he does for a living but realistically, what gives? Nobody is going to offer you anything remotely close in terms of value for what he actually brings to the team today. You could potentially get a second rounder for him but the question is why would you do that if you're the Habs GM right now? He'll be 25 years old next season and you know what you've got, there's literally no reason for us to roll the dice, get a 2nd rounder and start developing another prospect from scratch who may or may not pan out in a few years. It's not like Lehkonen is the reason we're not making the playoffs. If he's part of a larger deal, ok, maybe, but in isolation trading him just doesn't make any sense IMO.

26 minutes ago, caperns61 said:

And 0 goals in 9 games, sheesh fleury has 2 and he is a defenceman

Your point?  I'll take 10 assists over 9 games vs fleury's 2 goals in the same number anyday.    Even if all KK got was assists his pace in Laval would put him in the AHL lead for pts.    His play making and vision are evident in those totals and clearly underscores how misused he was by Julien

4 minutes ago, HabsRuleForever said:

Karl recalled. 

Ok MB has officially lost his marbles WTFH is he recalling a guy who is so slow and so bad that he hasn't played in the NHL in over a year for. Fleury deserved to be brought back up not Assler!!! MB is now just making a mockery out of the greatest franchise in sports history. Fire the moron and send CJ with him carrying his jock strap cause that's about all CJ is good for!!!!

2 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Ok MB has officially lost his marbles WTFH is he recalling a guy who is so slow and so bad that he hasn't played in the NHL in over a year for. Fleury deserved to be brought back up not Assler!!! MB is now just making a mockery out of the greatest franchise in sports history. Fire the moron and send CJ with him carrying his jock strap cause that's about all CJ is good for!!!!

1 minute ago, kinot-2 said:

Is this some sort of joke, funny man? :6351:

Lol calm down, fella’s. Maybe he’s getting some trade interest..? Ahha I’m not sure why, but who knows...

3 hours ago, ChiLla said:

Honestly, I don't see the point at all in trading a guy like Lehkonen. I wouldn't put it past Bergevin because tinkering is what he does for a living but realistically, what gives? Nobody is going to offer you anything remotely close in terms of value for what he actually brings to the team today. You could potentially get a second rounder for him but the question is why would you do that if you're the Habs GM right now? He'll be 25 years old next season and you know what you've got, there's literally no reason for us to roll the dice, get a 2nd rounder and start developing another prospect from scratch who may or may not pan out in a few years. It's not like Lehkonen is the reason we're not making the playoffs. If he's part of a larger deal, ok, maybe, but in isolation trading him just doesn't make any sense IMO.

I suppose if there was a point to be made for trading Lehkonen it might be... If at best he’s a 3rd line forward, and someone is offering you a 2nd round pick. One thing MB is good at is finding 3rd and 4th liners on the cheap. For example, Cousins has been every bit as effective as Lehkonen. If either one would get you a return, you could take that pick and roll the dice at finding a gem. As low as the odds are at finding a superstar in the 2nd round are, there lower at the bottom of the FA barrel. That said, I’d expect more than just a 2nd round for Lehkonen. Im just proposing a different perspective on the idea.

8 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Why not Fleury, unless he's injured. 

I don’t know. I don’t really see a reason to bring either up. Alzner stinks, and I think Fleury should finish the year in Laval. Like I said, maybe some foolish team is interested in Alzner. Or maybe we’re just coming to terms that the season is pooched, and since Alzner has been such a good sport about being stuck down there they decided to bring him back up for a couple games. Who knows...

23 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Why not Fleury, unless he's injured. 

10 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

I don’t know. I don’t really see a reason to bring either up. Alzner stinks, and I think Fleury should finish the year in Laval. Like I said, maybe some foolish team is interested in Alzner. Or maybe we’re just coming to terms that the season is pooched, and since Alzner has been such a good sport about being stuck down there they decided to bring him back up for a couple games. Who knows...

Bouchard needs time with some of these players.  Fleury, Brook etc - they will get their chance.  If Bouchard is in the middle of working on something specific with them, no point in calling them up.  

Alzner can only help the tank at this point. Its not a big deal & I dont think it points to the team not loving rookies, its simply that they finally have a coach in laval that can actually develop and player & they are willing to let him do that!

7 hours ago, maas_art said:

Bouchard needs time with some of these players.  Fleury, Brook etc - they will get their chance.  If Bouchard is in the middle of working on something specific with them, no point in calling them up.  

Alzner can only help the tank at this point. Its not a big deal & I dont think it points to the team not loving rookies, its simply that they finally have a coach in laval that can actually develop and player & they are willing to let him do that!

At this point in the season and where we are at your exactly right. Let them develop, let them learn to be the best players who you rely to win games, why bring Fleury up so he can play bottom two minutes when he can play top two minutes in the AHL. Same with KK, let them play out the season in the AHL...

I doubt its anything specific they are working on, its the overall game in order to play at the NHL level.

Recalling Alzner is the right call. Why?

1. The NHL games don't matter.

2. It's a bit of a reward for his being a good guy about reporting to the AHL.

3. The younger guys need to work on development and the AHL is a better place for that right now. Julien has lost his marbles up here.

8 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

Your point?  I'll take 10 assists over 9 games vs fleury's 2 goals in the same number anyday.    Even if all KK got was assists his pace in Laval would put him in the AHL lead for pts.    His play making and vision are evident in those totals and clearly underscores how misused he was by Julien

My Point is? We dont need setup men we have them in players like Susuki and Domi, we need guys who can put the puck in the net :)

My Point is? You would hope your top line center would be able to score one goal through a 9 game stretch. He just play a whole year and a half at the NHL level, and now he is playing in a lesser league. 

My Point is? If a defenceman can get more goals then your centerman, that is a problem...

Hey i love KK and assists are relevant but at some point he has to start putting the puck in the net net, if he has trouble doing that at the AHL then it will be a bigger problem at the NHL level. I just hope its because Bouchard is working with him to play a better 200 foot game. But if he cannot find the back of the net 15 to 25 times per year...My Point is? That would become a major problem.

54 minutes ago, Noob616 said:

Price making his 15th start in 16 games. Absolutely ludicrous asset management here for a player you're paying 10.5M until 2026. 

Yup. You only do this if you're

1. So disillusioned that you think you still have a shot at winning the playoffs.

2. Fear for your own job and are trying to protect it.

You have to believe CJ and MB are both making bad decisions right now to try and hold on, Julien especially since he's got less job security than Bergevin.

3 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Alzner brought up? Called it. Let's be tankful.

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

they gotta try to negate the Alzner affect somehow.  Dont want to make it too blatant that we are tanking :P

I have no problem with this move in games that mean nothing and when the young guys are better-served being in a playoff race in the AHL.

Funny tweet today when Pat Hickey got auto-corrected today and said the Habs had recalled "Karl Alzheimer"... didn't think he was that old and slow, but that's what Hickey said.

Don't look now, but the Habs are suddenly just 6 points out of a playoff spot, albeit it has more to do with the Leafs and Panthers collapsing than anything else. Unfortunately, both teams have games in hand, especially Florida. So that 6 points may quickly become closer to 10. I wonder whether the Florida game tonight plays into any of Bergevin's decisions... if they lose, does Bergevin turtle up and go conservative with his deadline after all that? As is, I'm getting the feeling more and more that we may see one or some of Thompson, Weal, Cousins, or Weise moved and not much more than that. I don't think he's trading Petry or Tatar and it sounds like Kovalchuk may be willing to talk and sign an extension, which I think will nix any trade unless the return is a 1st (or maybe a 2nd) rounder... I just have the feeling MB is going to want to stick it out and do nothing, as is his M.O.

• H_T_L locked this topic