The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2019-20 State Of The Habs

H_T_L

11 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Don't look now, but the Habs are suddenly just 6 points out of a playoff spot, albeit it has more to do with the Leafs and Panthers collapsing than anything else. Unfortunately, both teams have games in hand, especially Florida. So that 6 points may quickly become closer to 10. I wonder whether the Florida game tonight plays into any of Bergevin's decisions... if they lose, does Bergevin turtle up and go conservative with his deadline after all that? As is, I'm getting the feeling more and more that we may see one or some of Thompson, Weal, Cousins, or Weise moved and not much more than that. I don't think he's trading Petry or Tatar and it sounds like Kovalchuk may be willing to talk and sign an extension, which I think will nix any trade unless the return is a 1st (or maybe a 2nd) rounder... I just have the feeling MB is going to want to stick it out and do nothing, as is his M.O.

I’ll go out on a limb and say someone steps up large for Tatar and makes a substantial offer - it sure would be nice to have another first round pick and a defensive prospect as a minimum so even though I like Tatar it is wishful thinking! 
I agree with the rest of your thoughts 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Don't look now, but the Habs are suddenly just 6 points out of a playoff spot, albeit it has more to do with the Leafs and Panthers collapsing than anything else. Unfortunately, both teams have games in hand, especially Florida. So that 6 points may quickly become closer to 10. I wonder whether the Florida game tonight plays into any of Bergevin's decisions... if they lose, does Bergevin turtle up and go conservative with his deadline after all that? As is, I'm getting the feeling more and more that we may see one or some of Thompson, Weal, Cousins, or Weise moved and not much more than that. I don't think he's trading Petry or Tatar and it sounds like Kovalchuk may be willing to talk and sign an extension, which I think will nix any trade unless the return is a 1st (or maybe a 2nd) rounder... I just have the feeling MB is going to want to stick it out and do nothing, as is his M.O.

Unfortunately I believe you are right about this. I too think MB will believe we can make the playoffs and Mau even become a buyer if the Panthers lose and we move within 6 points. I don't see him trading our 1st though so even as a buyer he would just probably be trading for depth players probably go to Anahiem and trade a 3rd to get DLO back or maybe a 2nd for Chara

9 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Unfortunately I believe you are right about this. I too think MB will believe we can make the playoffs and Mau even become a buyer if the Panthers lose and we move within 6 points. I don't see him trading our 1st though so even as a buyer he would just probably be trading for depth players probably go to Anahiem and trade a 3rd to get DLO back or maybe a 2nd for Chara

:4224:

Here is a little schedule comparison. We easily have the best schedule and after tonight are within 6 of Toronto. Not sure I have as much faith in the Leafs or the Panthers to manage this schedule better than the Habs. But we need to take advantage of this.

Battle for 3rd Home games  in caps Tor 63 72   Fla 61   70      Mtl   64     66

back to back   Need to make up 8 pts

1        2          3             4            5           6           7            8                  9                 10

Tor: CAR,    tb,       fla,         VAN,        sj          la,          ana,       TB,            NASH,            bos,

Mtl: ott,     VAN,    NYR,       CAR,        nyi,       tb,          fla,        NASH,       BUFF,           ana,

Fla: veg,     arz,    TOR,        CHI,         CG,      BOS,       MTL,      stl,             dal,                 NJ

11         12         13          14           15          16         17           18          19           20         21

TOR:    NJ,        NYI,       CLB,    FLA,         tb,          car,       ott,         wash,    DET,       MTL

MTL:     la,         sj ,         col,     BUFF,      FLA,        NYI,       chic,       nash,     tor

FLA:   det,       wpg,     BUFF,   STL,          tor ,         ott,         mtl,        bos,      NYR,      OTT,     WASH

Common  Tough games                                        

TOR   tb       TB    bos    tb   wash

MTL   tb   col        

FLA    BOS stl  dal   STL   bos      WASH             

7 hours ago, Habberwacky said:

Here is a little schedule comparison. We easily have the best schedule and after tonight are within 6 of Toronto. Not sure I have as much faith in the Leafs or the Panthers to manage this schedule better than the Habs. But we need to take advantage of this.

Battle for 3rd Home games  in caps Tor 63 72   Fla 61   70      Mtl   64     66

back to back   Need to make up 8 pts

1        2          3             4            5           6           7            8                  9                 10

Tor: CAR,    tb,       fla,         VAN,        sj          la,          ana,       TB,            NASH,            bos,

Mtl: ott,     VAN,    NYR,       CAR,        nyi,       tb,          fla,        NASH,       BUFF,           ana,

Fla: veg,     arz,    TOR,        CHI,         CG,      BOS,       MTL,      stl,             dal,                 NJ

11         12         13          14           15          16         17           18          19           20         21

TOR:    NJ,        NYI,       CLB,    FLA,         tb,          car,       ott,         wash,    DET,       MTL

MTL:     la,         sj ,         col,     BUFF,      FLA,        NYI,       chic,       nash,     tor

FLA:   det,       wpg,     BUFF,   STL,          tor ,         ott,         mtl,        bos,      NYR,      OTT,     WASH

Common  Tough games                                        

TOR   tb       TB    bos    tb   wash

MTL   tb   col        

FLA    BOS stl  dal   STL   bos      WASH             

Thanks for posting the info.

I'd argue Florida has the easiest schedule remaining though, which is what is supported if you look at nhl.com or sportsclubstats and their analyses of the winning percentages of remaining opponents. True that Toronto has the toughest schedule left, but Florida is more of an issue trying to pass. They're only 4 pts in front of us but have two games in hand, where Toronto has 1 game in hand and sits 6 pts ahead. We do have some games remaining against both teams to make up ground, but on the other hand, one could argue Fla and Tor play each other twice, so there are guaranteed points for at least one of them as well. Sportsclubstats still has our playoff chances at under 2%, so even though the standings look close, we realistically need to go about 15-3 to make the post-season, which is 5 out of every 6 games. Even if Tor and Fla both play .500 hockey the rest of the way, we'd need to grab 25 points in our last 18 games (12-5-1) to get in. If even one plays better than .500 hockey, the record we need gets harder. It's enticing to think we're not that far back in terms of points, but we're also running out of time to catch up. It does however make you wonder if MB had done his job of finding a better back-up goalie whether we'd be in the playoff discussion for real.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

I'd argue Florida has the easiest schedule remaining though, which is what is supported if you look at nhl.com or sportsclubstats and their analyses of the winning percentages of remaining opponents. True that Toronto has the toughest schedule left, but Florida is more of an issue trying to pass. They're only 4 pts in front of us but have two games in hand, where Toronto has 1 game in hand and sits 6 pts ahead. We do have some games remaining against both teams to make up ground, but on the other hand, one could argue Fla and Tor play each other twice, so there are guaranteed points for at least one of them as well. Sportsclubstats still has our playoff chances at under 2%, so even though the standings look close, we realistically need to go about 15-3 to make the post-season, which is 5 out of every 6 games. Even if Tor and Fla both play .500 hockey the rest of the way, we'd need to grab 25 points in our last 18 games (12-5-1) to get in. If even one plays better than .500 hockey, the record we need gets harder. It's enticing to think we're not that far back in terms of points, but we're also running out of time to catch up. It does however make you wonder if MB had done his job of finding a better back-up goalie whether we'd be in the playoff discussion for real.

All of the stats sites are based on the premises that it is going to take 95-97 points to make the playoffs. Reality is with the way everyone in the Atlantic have been playing this year it will probably only take 90-95 points. That is not to say that we are any closer just that the stats sites over complicate things.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

I agree that the math is a little skewed and that is why I posted. If we were chasing anyone other than the  Leafs  and the Panthers I might see this differently. I have a very hard time believing the line-up we put out there every night is not better. The evidence is despite all the injuries and two eight game losing streaks we haven't yet gone away. I see Carey being able to play the rest of the way. Looking to do the other division I don't think Columbus can sustain their record either. SInce their 9 game win streak they have been decimated by injuries. Here's to hoping that last game of the season is a meaningful game.

1 hour ago, arpem-can said:

I thought Alzner and Folin played decently well last night ...I would have liked to see Alzner to get a goal ...he's been crapped on enough 

I am no Alzner fan but i agree he played a decent game. that said i don't want to see too much of him because if we do it means we are that weak!

2 hours ago, MuddyWaterMoose said:

Well...say what you will about the Habs but at least we haven't lost to a "42 year old zamboni driver who works for us".

LOL

This video is hilarious.

The BEST!!!!!! Thanks MWM. :4224::4224::4224:

2 hours ago, MuddyWaterMoose said:

Well...say what you will about the Habs but at least we haven't lost to a "42 year old zamboni driver who works for us".

LOL

This video is hilarious.

this is pretty funny but Ayres does practice with the Marlies so he's not exactly a guy off the street that has never seen a pro shot before ...the real story here is that Toronto folded ...after one of their first two shots that went I could see one of the Leafs had a little snicker on his face that said this is going to be easy ….then the whole team mailed it in ….Carolina had 50 some odd shots ...and now the Leafs want to trade the guy they gave up Kadri for ?...this team thinks they're too good to work for it ,,,some where Babcock is nodding his head 

6 hours ago, campabee82 said:

All of the stats sites are based on the premises that it is going to take 95-97 points to make the playoffs. Reality is with the way everyone in the Atlantic have been playing this year it will probably only take 90-95 points. That is not to say that we are any closer just that the stats sites over complicate things.

One of the scenarios I played out was if the Panthers and Leafs both play .500 hockey the rest of the way. In that case, we would need 91 points to get in, which would be a 12-5-1 record. That's probably the best-case scenario.

Sure, it's one thing to say that both clubs we're chasing have faltered and are playing .450 hockey recently, but if you believe both clubs will continue that, you also have to remember the Habs played two stretches where they didn't win a game. The averages say the Leafs and Panthers will play .570 hockey and it's unlikely both clubs play for .500 or lower. It's more likely it will take 95+ points to get in.

14 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

One of the scenarios I played out was if the Panthers and Leafs both play .500 hockey the rest of the way. In that case, we would need 91 points to get in, which would be a 12-5-1 record. That's probably the best-case scenario.

Sure, it's one thing to say that both clubs we're chasing have faltered and are playing .450 hockey recently, but if you believe both clubs will continue that, you also have to remember the Habs played two stretches where they didn't win a game. The averages say the Leafs and Panthers will play .570 hockey and it's unlikely both clubs play for .500 or lower. It's more likely it will take 95+ points to get in.

While I also believe we are on the outside looking in again I also believe the Atlantic is so weak right now that 93 points gets you in. Unless either the Leafs or Panthers make huge changes between now and the deadline.

41 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

While I also believe we are on the outside looking in again I also believe the Atlantic is so weak right now that 93 points gets you in. Unless either the Leafs or Panthers make huge changes between now and the deadline.

It's possible, but like I said, the Habs went through two 8-game losing streaks, but that doesn't mean they will play at that pace forever. Likewise, it's more likely at least one of the Leafs or Panthers reverts to playing .570 hockey instead of continuing at .450 hockey.

After Bergevin's press conference today, it is very clear we will never win anything until he's fired. And the longer we wait, the longer we will go without a Cup. He's too afraid to commit to building a winner. Several members of the press asked him today if he would sacrifice next season in order to be better long-term and he stuttered and stammered and didn't really have an answer. When he was pressed again, he made comments about not wanting to trade players who were still useful for picks or players who weren't proven. He's got zero idea how to build a team. Zero.

He then talked about how the Habs have to stick with the plan and build their team through the draft. But look at his roster. Danault? Trade acquisition. Tatar? Same. Suzuki? Same. Domi? Here via trade. Drouin too. Weber. Petry. Kulak. Kovalchuk until he left. We've traded for Weise twice. Armia? Trade. Byron? Waivers. Chiarot and Alzner and Lindgren? Free agency. Who are the Habs' draft picks on the current roster? Price. Gallagher. Lehkonen. Mete. 4 guys. And two of them came in drafts from before Bergevin got here. So literally, we have exactly two players on our 23-man roster right now that Bergevin drafted himself, yet he's here preaching about how his mantra is to build the roster through the draft. For a guy who is entering his 9th draft in a few months, with very little success to show for his drafts and very little success to show for his club, he really hasn't followed that mantra very closely. His best/highest picks are mainly gone... Sergachev. Galchenyuk. Scherbak. McCarron. De La Rose. Andrighetto. Maybe there's not much there, but he hasn't been very patient in developing picks or he hasn't put the right people in place to develop them or both.

Now maybe the drafting in the past few years has been better. Maybe he'll keep more of those guys around. But we're still yet to see that happen. And right now, he hasn't committed to helping the incoming core of draftees. He hasn't helped to surround them with talent that will be hitting prime in 2-3 years with them, when the Kotkaniemi's and Suzuki's and Romanov's and Primeau's might be able to put together a Cup run.

I'll come back to looking at clubs like Ottawa and Vancouver and New York. Go back 2-3 years ago and ask yourself whether these clubs would be closer or further than the Habs to winning a Cup. As it stands, I think all three clubs are closer, and none of them are particularly close. None of these clubs is likely to win anything in the next 2 years, but Vancouver has built a core around legit stars. Petterson. Hughes. Boeser. Three legit young stars. Ottawa has White and Chabot and Brannstrom and Tkachuk and they're adding a bunch of 1st round picks to that, including two likely top 5-7 picks and a really good shot at Lafreniere. This despite a meddling cheapskate for an owner. Look at New York, who have a star young goalie rising up and who have added tons of 1st round picks and have re-stocked their prospect shelves. And it didn't stop them from signing Panarin, but they managed to re-build everything and sell off all their aging veterans for 1st rounders and good returns. They didn't try to re-build by selling 4th liners for 4th round picks. They sold past-prime top 6 players for 1st rounders. They sold Skjei today for a 1st. The mantra there has been to sell declining assets BEFORE they lose value. And now they're ahead of us. Bergevin meanwhile has shown no clue about buying low and selling high. He's been depreciating his own assets by ripping them in the media and having his coaches bench them or move them to less desirable positions and then selling low. Subban. Galchenyuk. Pacioretty. Plekanec. Andrighetto. And so on. And does anyone get the same feeling it's happening to Domi? If you're planning on moving him, you leave him as a top 6 center and you appreciate his value and you deal him when his value is high. Instead, the Habs moved him to the wing and saw his defensive play drop off and then moved him back as a 3C and now no one knows what he's worth, and maybe his contract battle gets ugly. Seen it already. That's classic Bergevin/Habs. Cause your player's value to plummet then try to get out at the ground floor. If they wanted to move him, they should have moved him when they foresaw moving Suzuki to center. We'll see if Domi stays or goes, but it feels like maybe they're going to move him at the wrong time. Tatar. Petry. Weber. All had moments this season when their values were as high as they've been since they got here. We'll see what their values are when they leave, via trade or the expansion draft or retirement. Drive them into the ground and walk away when they're worth a fraction of what they were... Markov. Emelin. Plekanec. Parenteau. It's a pattern. Bergevin can't sell high because he's so afraid he's giving up something of value, but when the asset depreciates and he's ready to move on, then so have his trade suitors. I just don't see growth from this GM.

52 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

After Bergevin's press conference today, it is very clear we will never win anything until he's fired. And the longer we wait, the longer we will go without a Cup. He's too afraid to commit to building a winner. Several members of the press asked him today if he would sacrifice next season in order to be better long-term and he stuttered and stammered and didn't really have an answer. When he was pressed again, he made comments about not wanting to trade players who were still useful for picks or players who weren't proven. He's got zero idea how to build a team. Zero.

He then talked about how the Habs have to stick with the plan and build their team through the draft. But look at his roster. Danault? Trade acquisition. Tatar? Same. Suzuki? Same. Domi? Here via trade. Drouin too. Weber. Petry. Kulak. Kovalchuk until he left. We've traded for Weise twice. Armia? Trade. Byron? Waivers. Chiarot and Alzner and Lindgren? Free agency. Who are the Habs' draft picks on the current roster? Price. Gallagher. Lehkonen. Mete. 4 guys. And two of them came in drafts from before Bergevin got here. So literally, we have exactly two players on our 23-man roster right now that Bergevin drafted himself, yet he's here preaching about how his mantra is to build the roster through the draft. For a guy who is entering his 9th draft in a few months, with very little success to show for his drafts and very little success to show for his club, he really hasn't followed that mantra very closely. His best/highest picks are mainly gone... Sergachev. Galchenyuk. Scherbak. McCarron. De La Rose. Andrighetto. Maybe there's not much there, but he hasn't been very patient in developing picks or he hasn't put the right people in place to develop them or both.

Now maybe the drafting in the past few years has been better. Maybe he'll keep more of those guys around. But we're still yet to see that happen. And right now, he hasn't committed to helping the incoming core of draftees. He hasn't helped to surround them with talent that will be hitting prime in 2-3 years with them, when the Kotkaniemi's and Suzuki's and Romanov's and Primeau's might be able to put together a Cup run.

I'll come back to looking at clubs like Ottawa and Vancouver and New York. Go back 2-3 years ago and ask yourself whether these clubs would be closer or further than the Habs to winning a Cup. As it stands, I think all three clubs are closer, and none of them are particularly close. None of these clubs is likely to win anything in the next 2 years, but Vancouver has built a core around legit stars. Petterson. Hughes. Boeser. Three legit young stars. Ottawa has White and Chabot and Brannstrom and Tkachuk and they're adding a bunch of 1st round picks to that, including two likely top 5-7 picks and a really good shot at Lafreniere. This despite a meddling cheapskate for an owner. Look at New York, who have a star young goalie rising up and who have added tons of 1st round picks and have re-stocked their prospect shelves. And it didn't stop them from signing Panarin, but they managed to re-build everything and sell off all their aging veterans for 1st rounders and good returns. They didn't try to re-build by selling 4th liners for 4th round picks. They sold past-prime top 6 players for 1st rounders. They sold Skjei today for a 1st. The mantra there has been to sell declining assets BEFORE they lose value. And now they're ahead of us. Bergevin meanwhile has shown no clue about buying low and selling high. He's been depreciating his own assets by ripping them in the media and having his coaches bench them or move them to less desirable positions and then selling low. Subban. Galchenyuk. Pacioretty. Plekanec. Andrighetto. And so on. And does anyone get the same feeling it's happening to Domi? If you're planning on moving him, you leave him as a top 6 center and you appreciate his value and you deal him when his value is high. Instead, the Habs moved him to the wing and saw his defensive play drop off and then moved him back as a 3C and now no one knows what he's worth, and maybe his contract battle gets ugly. Seen it already. That's classic Bergevin/Habs. Cause your player's value to plummet then try to get out at the ground floor. If they wanted to move him, they should have moved him when they foresaw moving Suzuki to center. We'll see if Domi stays or goes, but it feels like maybe they're going to move him at the wrong time. Tatar. Petry. Weber. All had moments this season when their values were as high as they've been since they got here. We'll see what their values are when they leave, via trade or the expansion draft or retirement. Drive them into the ground and walk away when they're worth a fraction of what they were... Markov. Emelin. Plekanec. Parenteau. It's a pattern. Bergevin can't sell high because he's so afraid he's giving up something of value, but when the asset depreciates and he's ready to move on, then so have his trade suitors. I just don't see growth from this GM.

I suppose you could call me a moderate MB supporter, but... you hit a lot of nails on the head. I don’t think I can disagree with anything you’ve just said here. Laughed out loud while reading through the list of players he’s acquired by every means other than the draft. Well said.

25 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

I suppose you could call me a moderate MB supporter, but... you hit a lot of nails on the head. I don’t think I can disagree with anything you’ve just said here. Laughed out loud while reading through the list of players he’s acquired by every means other than the draft. Well said.

Here's Eric Engels of Sportsnet on pretty much this issue... his takeaway from the press conference today was that Bergevin kept contradicting himself and has no plan for where he's going:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/montreal-canadiens-fail-give-fans-clarity-confusing-trade-deadline/

You can't say you're building via the draft but have almost none of your own draft picks on the roster.

You can't say you're building for the future without being willing to acquire future assets.

You can't say you're a good team that could be successful next year when the same roster has failed for the past 4-5 years.

You can't say that the core is great but then talk about how they're responsible for the team's failures.

You can't talk about how it's impossible to do your job all the time... it's hard to make trades, it's hard to find a top 6 center, it's hard to find a top pairing D man, it's hard to get free agents to sign here for reasonable amounts or at all. Today, he said he's been trying to find a back-up goalie but it's been too hard. A back-up freaking goalie. It's one of the least important jobs on the team when you sit behind a star like Carey and he can't find someone to play 20-25 games a year.

When will it become obvious to Molson that Bergevin has no clue what he's doing? Yes, he wins the small trades that he uses to tinker for the roster. But is it yet another contradiction to turn a 4th for Scandella into a 2nd and call that a win, then have Bergevin say that where you pick after the first 8 choices doesn't matter because it's all just throwing darts at a dart board and drafting is mainly luck?

27 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

I don't completely agree because Malamacian qualified his statement by saying " current roster " so we don't get to include along with Lehtonen , Mete , Price and Gallagher that KK , Poehling and Fleury (all natural draft picks)and  part of this club this year and will be back up now that Cousins , Thompson and Kovalchuk are gone .. Romanov considered to be an outstanding prospect and a good bet to make the club next year ( drafted by the Habs and who cares how you got the pick ? ) …Caulfield and Primeau  could make that 8 or 9 draftees on the team instead of 4 ...….Suzuki and Domi all higher draft picks  than what you get from a Cup contender if you got their 1st round pick ….there are only so many McDavids and  Crosbys and in the years they enter the  draft gms know who they are and never give up their higher picks ….it's not an easy game to play unless you get a top  pick in a year a superstar is available or it's an outstanding draft year ...and they're not that frequent .

On 2/23/2020 at 0:58 PM, arpem-can said:

this is pretty funny but Ayres does practice with the Marlies so he's not exactly a guy off the street that has never seen a pro shot before ...the real story here is that Toronto folded ...after one of their first two shots that went I could see one of the Leafs had a little snicker on his face that said this is going to be easy ….then the whole team mailed it in ….Carolina had 50 some odd shots ...and now the Leafs want to trade the guy they gave up Kadri for ?...this team thinks they're too good to work for it ,,,some where Babcock is nodding his head 

He is actually the practice and skills goalie for the Leafs so he often faces shots from the likes of Matthews, Mariner and Tavares BUT still he is a 42 year old zamboni driver that had a kidney transplant 14 years ago causing him to give up his pro career plus the last game he actually played in was an 11 goal loss on some minor league tournament.

47 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

Romanov considered to be an outstanding prospect and a good bet to make the club next year ( drafted by the Habs and who cares how you got the pick ? )

The only place I hear about how great Romanov is here . Is he really a great  prospect or do we hope he is what this team  is missing and are over estimating how good he really is or can be . Just asking because I never hear anything about this kid any where but on this site . I ve seen so many guys come up and try to be a top flight D man and now apparently there ;s one in the waiting in Russia .  If he is great but I 'll wait and see 'cause playing in the NHL is a lot different

2 hours ago, Regis22 said:

The only place I hear about how great Romanov is here . Is he really a great  prospect or do we hope he is what this team  is missing and are over estimating how good he really is or can be . Just asking because I never hear anything about this kid any where but on this site . I ve seen so many guys come up and try to be a top flight D man and now apparently there ;s one in the waiting in Russia .  If he is great but I 'll wait and see 'cause playing in the NHL is a lot different

I just looked at his stats and as of now, I am very unimpressed. Methinks we're setting ourselves up for disappointment.

• H_T_L locked this topic