Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kinot-2

2020 NHL Draft

166 posts in this topic

Mark My Words: The Habs will pick the smallest player available.

5 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Mark My Words: The Habs will pick the smallest player available.

and then sentence him to obscurity until he is traded to another team for a "3rd rounder" and becomes a star for that team......lol

7 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Oh damn. That's bad.

I was looking back at our draft history. There were some BAD drafts in there in the past 20 years. I guess every team has good and bad drafts, but darn... Our first rounders haven't really worked out that well.

this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Oh damn. That's bad.

I was looking back at our draft history. There were some BAD drafts in there in the past 20 years. I guess every team has good and bad drafts, but darn... Our first rounders haven't really worked out that well.

Looks like we've actually traded away the two best 1st round picks we've had since Carey Price in McDonagh and Sergachev. Our first rounders really haven't worked out at all, which is one of the reasons we're just not a very good team. If your going for the playoffs every year and refuse to build for the future, you better make sure your draft picks work out. They haven't.

2 hours ago, ChiLla said:

Looks like we've actually traded away the two best 1st round picks we've had since Carey Price in McDonagh and Sergachev. Our first rounders really haven't worked out at all, which is one of the reasons we're just not a very good team. If your going for the playoffs every year and refuse to build for the future, you better make sure your draft picks work out. They haven't.

I'd argue that Pacioretty was better than McDo and Sergachev, but the point remains the same... Habs just haven't been able to turn their choices into elite talent on most occasions and they haven't retained players based on skill.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I'd argue that Pacioretty was better than McDo and Sergachev, but the point remains the same... Habs just haven't been able to turn their choices into elite talent on most occasions and they haven't retained players based on skill.

Totally forgot about Patches, you‘re right! Definitely our best pick since Carey. 

Are they still going to hold the draft?  

4 hours ago, CANADIENS27 said:

Are they still going to hold the draft?  

I imagine they will just at a later date

So if we ended the season now and didn't win the lottery we would be picking in about the 8th spot. How would everyone feel about going off the board and taking Lapierre, he is a 6'0" Center had 17 points in 19 games this season before getting injured and also had 11 points in 5 Hlinka-Gretzky cup games. He is also thought to have the highest ceiling of anyone in the draft according to NHL.com mid season draft rankings. And has jumped to 16th overall. I have never seen him play so no idea if this is even a good consideration or not but it's a long shot I could see MB and TT taking and possibly even trading the pick to move back for another 2nd in 2021.

10 hours ago, campabee82 said:

So if we ended the season now and didn't win the lottery we would be picking in about the 8th spot. How would everyone feel about going off the board and taking Lapierre, he is a 6'0" Center had 17 points in 19 games this season before getting injured and also had 11 points in 5 Hlinka-Gretzky cup games. He is also thought to have the highest ceiling of anyone in the draft according to NHL.com mid season draft rankings. And has jumped to 16th overall. I have never seen him play so no idea if this is even a good consideration or not but it's a long shot I could see MB and TT taking and possibly even trading the pick to move back for another 2nd in 2021.

That pick makes me nervous - injuries with apparently back to back concussions conjures up Brett Lindros visions and a wasted pick. He doesn’t have a consistent proven body of work at this junior level but only a couple of mercurial events. I’d gamble maybe one of our 2nd round picks if he happened to fall but not trading down pick #8. IMO the draft experts are rating him too high much like they did with Raphael Lavoie last year. 

20 hours ago, campabee82 said:

I imagine they will just at a later date

July or August, maybe?  

If they decided no season , there would be no reason the draft couldn't be held at the normal time. For a draft there is no reason they can't do it completely on line or through conference call video ect. The only real reason for the in person is the hype and show of it. 

The lottery and draft have been postponed indefinitely. The league is reviewing alternative options. Most feel there will likely not be a live draft this year, although who knows. Unclear as well whether there will be a lottery featuring only non-playoff teams or if the season is canceled, whether all teams will get a shot at #1 overall... that last part would be bad for current lottery teams like us.

https://www.tsn.ca/red-wings-habs-win-big-in-tsn-hockey-s-simulated-lottery-1.1464643

IF you're missing hockey that much, tsn.ca decided to give us hockey obsessed Habs fans a scenario to ponder.  In a recent mock lottery and draft, TSN has the Habs winning the Lotto and picking Quinton Byfield at 2.  By all acounts, Byfield is "The Next One" as far as #1 centres with size go.  If that is the case I would be perfectly happy if Bergie walks out of the draft with a 1-2 punch of the future in Byfield and Kotkaniemi.  To be honest, Byfield could make the team out of camp potentially, which would be fine if it means Kotkaniemi gets a full year down in Laval with Ylonen as his trigger man.  I would like to ideally have most of our Marquee prospects of the future learning how to win at the AHL level before bringing them up to the NHL.  Byfield could also translate into swinging a deal for a top pairing lefty.  I would think MTL could send the flyers a 2nd and a 3rd to Philly for Ghostibere.

2 hours ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

https://www.tsn.ca/red-wings-habs-win-big-in-tsn-hockey-s-simulated-lottery-1.1464643

IF you're missing hockey that much, tsn.ca decided to give us hockey obsessed Habs fans a scenario to ponder.  In a recent mock lottery and draft, TSN has the Habs winning the Lotto and picking Quinton Byfield at 2.  By all acounts, Byfield is "The Next One" as far as #1 centres with size go.  If that is the case I would be perfectly happy if Bergie walks out of the draft with a 1-2 punch of the future in Byfield and Kotkaniemi.  To be honest, Byfield could make the team out of camp potentially, which would be fine if it means Kotkaniemi gets a full year down in Laval with Ylonen as his trigger man.  I would like to ideally have most of our Marquee prospects of the future learning how to win at the AHL level before bringing them up to the NHL.  Byfield could also translate into swinging a deal for a top pairing lefty.  I would think MTL could send the flyers a 2nd and a 3rd to Philly for Ghostibere.

LOL......the only thing we've won in 27 years and it's worthless. 

16 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

LOL......the only thing we've won in 27 years and it's worthless. 

How do you figure it's worthless.

8 hours ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

How do you figure it's worthless.

It's a mock lottery and draft. 

On 3/23/2020 at 0:56 PM, CaptWelly said:

If they decided no season , there would be no reason the draft couldn't be held at the normal time. For a draft there is no reason they can't do it completely on line or through conference call video ect. The only real reason for the in person is the hype and show of it. 

The NFL is going that route.

On 3/23/2020 at 0:56 PM, CaptWelly said:

I agree about the hype but teams also need instant personal contact with other teams in order to make a deal or trade up/ trade down in the draft. 

2 hours ago, habs1952 said:

I agree about the hype but teams also need instant personal contact with other teams in order to make a deal or trade up/ trade down in the draft. 

You actually can do that with todays technology. 

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

You actually can do that with todays technology. 

Yes, you could, but to me it's not the same. You could also get married while the groom, minister, bride and guests are all in different locations but I don't think the bride would be very happy about it. :lol:

Edited by habs1952

17 hours ago, habs1952 said:

Yes, you could, but to me it's not the same. You could also get married while the groom, minister, bride and guests are all in different locations but I don't think the bride would be very happy about it. :lol:

That is totally different , businesses do deals all the time which actually is all the draft is. If you listen to the draft on the radio which I have while traveling it actually is no different than on TV because of what it is. They try to build suspense ect. may give bio's and possible "deals" that may happen but when it comes down to it the actual dealing and then making a pick can be done even without video actually. Even if they are all in the same place they still call and message each other they're not running all over from table to table talking in person. It is a "show" they like to hype. 

Is this the draft where Seattle participates?

The NHL has released a memo to teams outlining a possible plan to proceed with a draft even before a decision on whether to resume the season. They state that should the season resume, they would envision awarding the Cup in mid-September and starting the next season in December. Players have already done interviews where they say they are hesitant about putting two seasons so close together like this.

The actual draft details do not appear to be very favorable for the Habs. The NHL's proposal is to have 16 teams make the playoffs based on point percentage and for the other 15 to go into the lottery. For unknown reasons though, they want to change it to one lottery winner and make it so that a team can only jump up a maximum of 4 spots. So the Habs would be drafting 8th, with a small chance of moving up to 4th and a chance of dropping down to 9th if a team in the 9th-12th ranks wins the lottery. Personally, I don't know why the NHL is suggesting deviating from the original lottery plan. If anything, you'd think the failure to complete the season means that the standings reflect inequality in the schedules and you'd want to maintain each non-playoff team's chances of winning the lottery. You would think it would actually be more fair to INCREASE the odds of all non-playoff teams to move up and win the lottery rather than decreasing them and favoring Detroit and Ottawa at the top... why suddenly guarantee Detroit that they get a 1 or 2 overall pick? Why the need for this change?

In any case, this is obviously a plan that most teams outside of the top 3-4 teams at the top of the draft lose out on. The Habs would have a 0% chance of a top 3 pick, which isn't fair considering the existing rules, and the same would hold true for another 8-10 teams. I would agree with the plan to use point percentage to rank teams. I don't see the need to change the lottery from its existing rules, however.

On 3/22/2020 at 0:02 PM, campabee82 said:

Too many injuries and not a goal scorer. Rossi or Perfetti, I think we draft. Lesser chance Holtz. Unless we beat Pitt.