Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kinot-2

2020 NHL Draft

126 posts in this topic

I would like to see them draft a forward with their first pick  ,and then make a trade for another first rounder and get Branden Snieder.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

The NHL on Monday announced further specifics regarding Phase 1 of the 2020 draft lottery.

It’s going to be held on Friday at 8 p.m. at the NHL Network’s studio in Secaucus, N.J.

The top three picks in the 2020 draft will be awarded via the lottery. The first draw will determine the team selecting first overall, the second lottery will determine the team that picks second and the third lottery will determine the team that picks third overall.

A total of 15 teams will be eligible for Phase 1 of the draft lottery, including the seven teams that already have not qualified for the Stanley Cup playoffs. Those clubs will be ranked in inverse order of their points percentages at the time of the pause (March 12) in the regular season. Eight placeholders that represent the to-be-determined qualifying round teams that don’t advance to the playoffs will be included, maintaining previously established odds for the draft lottery.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

 

The NHL on Monday announced further specifics regarding Phase 1 of the 2020 draft lottery.

It’s going to be held on Friday at 8 p.m. at the NHL Network’s studio in Secaucus, N.J.

The top three picks in the 2020 draft will be awarded via the lottery. The first draw will determine the team selecting first overall, the second lottery will determine the team that picks second and the third lottery will determine the team that picks third overall.

A total of 15 teams will be eligible for Phase 1 of the draft lottery, including the seven teams that already have not qualified for the Stanley Cup playoffs. Those clubs will be ranked in inverse order of their points percentages at the time of the pause (March 12) in the regular season. Eight placeholders that represent the to-be-determined qualifying round teams that don’t advance to the playoffs will be included, maintaining previously established odds for the draft lottery.

This thing is so confusing.


https://stories.featurd.io/2020/06/21/the-nhl-draft-lottery-has-never-been-this-complicated/


So we may know where we pick, or we may not? Clear as mud. 

 

https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2020/6/22/21299247/nhl-draft-lottery-phase-1-set-for-friday

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/06/2020 at 11:20 PM, BornToBeAHab said:

I would like to see them draft a forward with their first pick  ,and then make a trade for another first rounder and get Branden Snieder.

Hoping for Rossi, Perfetti or Holtz. Likely in that order. Our 2nd round picks could get interesting. Usually somebody slides. Cormier be a good pick at 39. Nickelbah is a wild card. Worth a chance with Blues pick. I think chance Bergs trades a 2nd for a big contract player. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m wondering what happens, draft wise, if they cancel this “post season” before puck drops. Will we be part of a lottery to determine team a-f? 
 

I’m guessing no one knows but man wouldn’t that blow

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, booboo_mtl said:

I’m wondering what happens, draft wise, if they cancel this “post season” before puck drops. Will we be part of a lottery to determine team a-f? 
 

I’m guessing no one knows but man wouldn’t that blow

Actually it was addressed by the NHL. If they play in is cancelled, we automatically become "team a" 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So a place holder has gotten one of the top 3 picks let's hope it's #8 and the season gets cancelled 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So your saying theirs a chance!! 12.5% is good enough for me. We've gotten lucky enough to have a shot at the cup so it is either win the cup or lose in the first round. Perfect strategy. It would be nice to be able to trade with the other first round loser to improve our odds, although I am not sure to many teams would go for it. GO HABS GO!!!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im confused.  Do picks #1 AND #2 go to play-in round loosers?  Right now it looks like thats the way its going because they only have spots 3 onwards listed. (EDIT:  when i wrote this, LA hadnt been announced as the #2 pick yet)

If there is no play in round, we automatically become team A but i assume that means they will still do a lottery to pick? Or is it possible that if, say Team B's ball was picked, they get 1st OA?


Maybe we FINALLY get payback for John Scott??? :P

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So here are the scenarios for the Habs:

 

- If the season never happens, the Habs are "Team A" for the lottery. However, the NHL announced today that all 8 teams that would have been non-playoff teams based on the last standings before the stoppage will each have equal odds of winning the second lottery and taking the first overall pick. So if there's no more season, the Habs get a 1 in 8 shot at 1st overall. If they don't win the lottery, they pick 9th.

- If the play-in happens and the Habs lose to Pittsburgh, they likewise become "Team A" and again have a 1 in 8 chance of winning the lottery and moving up to 1st overall. If they don't win the lottery, they once again move into the 9th overall spot.

- If the Habs win their play-in against Pittsburgh, then Pittsburgh goes into the lottery instead. The Habs then end up with at best the 16th overall pick (and in fact will get the 16th overall pick if they lose in the next round of the playoffs).

 

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm pulling for the Habs to lose to Pittsburgh. I'd rather have a 12.5% shot at Lafreniere and if not he 9th overall pick rather than have a less than 1 in 16 shot at a Cup and a guaranteed pick of 16th overall or worse. I don't like our odds of winning the Cup, but a 1 in 8 shot at a franchise-changing local hero is nothing to sneeze at.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All that said, Habs got screwed over by NHL today. The league had previously said that the teams that lost play-in (or the non-playoff teams if no season played) who would be in the 8th to 15th -last spots right now would be ranked accordingly, with the Habs being the 8th-worst team having the best odds of being the lottery winners. As "Team A" they would have been given their 6% chances among the 24% or so chances leftover for that group of teams, so essentially a 1 in 4 chance at being the 2nd lottery winner. With the change now to announce all 2nd phase lottery teams as having equal odds, our chances at Lafreniere just went down by half. Unclear why non-playoff teams 1 through 7 got to retain their odds but if the season never happens, why the Habs don't get the odds that go along with their 8th-last finish.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting Lafreniere would definitely be a game changer !

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

So here are the scenarios for the Habs:

 

- If the season never happens, the Habs are "Team A" for the lottery. However, the NHL announced today that all 8 teams that would have been non-playoff teams based on the last standings before the stoppage will each have equal odds of winning the second lottery and taking the first overall pick. So if there's no more season, the Habs get a 1 in 8 shot at 1st overall. If they don't win the lottery, they pick 9th.

- If the play-in happens and the Habs lose to Pittsburgh, they likewise become "Team A" and again have a 1 in 8 chance of winning the lottery and moving up to 1st overall. If they don't win the lottery, they once again move into the 9th overall spot.

- If the Habs win their play-in against Pittsburgh, then Pittsburgh goes into the lottery instead. The Habs then end up with at best the 16th overall pick (and in fact will get the 16th overall pick if they lose in the next round of the playoffs).

 

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm pulling for the Habs to lose to Pittsburgh. I'd rather have a 12.5% shot at Lafreniere and if not he 9th overall pick rather than have a less than 1 in 16 shot at a Cup and a guaranteed pick of 16th overall or worse. I don't like our odds of winning the Cup, but a 1 in 8 shot at a franchise-changing local hero is nothing to sneeze at.

So the first scenario is obvious we draft Lafrenier 

Scenario 2 is a debate Askarov or Sanderson unless someone else falls like Perfetti due to another teams need or his size

But what about scenario 3 we win the Play in round and lose in the first round. Who do we take then? Part of me is intrigued by Lapierre but part of me worries about his injury history. He could go top 10 if he had not had so many injuries so there is definitely upside. Or would someone like Hunker or Ghule be better to take? 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we get first pick be best thing happen to this franchise in long time. But 87% chance we draft 9th also. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't been following much since the shutdown but am I reading this right? Any losing team from the play-in round will have an equal shot at the #1 pick? So, let's say Edmonton, Pittsburgh, or Toronto only go 2-3 in their series, drop out of the tournament, and could still end up with Lafreniere? Even though they had a 0 percent chance of picking the guy under regular circumstances, i.e. based on the actual standings after ~90% of regular season games had already been played?

Who came up with that idea?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We still have a shot though I would rather have a deep (hopefully Cup) playoff run. That said I live in Michigan and if anyone has a ***** , the Wings fans ! Detroit had the worst record didn't do a big sell off to tank just had a bad season and they drop all the way to 4th.! If the Habs had been in Detroit's position and dropped that far what would this board be like.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Haven't been following much since the shutdown but am I reading this right? Any losing team from the play-in round will have an equal shot at the #1 pick? So, let's say Edmonton, Pittsburgh, or Toronto only go 2-3 in their series, drop out of the tournament, and could still end up with Lafreniere? Even though they had a 0 percent chance of picking the guy under regular circumstances, i.e. based on the actual standings after ~90% of regular season games had already been played?

Who came up with that idea?

Chicago could surprise and then of course Edmonton would get the 1st overall to prove again that doesn't mean you'll win the cup.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ChiLla said:

Haven't been following much since the shutdown but am I reading this right? Any losing team from the play-in round will have an equal shot at the #1 pick? So, let's say Edmonton, Pittsburgh, or Toronto only go 2-3 in their series, drop out of the tournament, and could still end up with Lafreniere? Even though they had a 0 percent chance of picking the guy under regular circumstances, i.e. based on the actual standings after ~90% of regular season games had already been played?

Who came up with that idea?

Yeah, that's right. Teams who finished in the bottom 7 just had their lottery and retained the same odds they would have had normally. Teams 8 through 15 were given a chance for a play-in to the playoffs but in exchange lost their draft pick odds. Teams 16-23 lost their guaranteed playoff status but saw their draft pick odds increase if they miss the playoffs. Teams 24-31 didn't see any real change in anything.

But at the end of the day, the Habs probably got the biggest screwjob of anyone. Because for us, we had the best odds of a top pick out of the 8-15 teams and we have statistically the worst odds of winning a Cup (especially since teams will be re-seeded after every round, so no matter how many rounds we win, we always have the toughest opponent every subsequent round). If we lost the play-in (or if the season never happens), we theoretically should have had a 25% chance of winning the next lottery based on previous odds (6% odds of top pick out of 24% total assigned to teams 8-15). Instead we have half of that. Meanwhile, like you said, better teams like Pittsburgh and Toronto can also end up with Lafreniere if they falter in 3 games.

My picks for the play in series would see the following 8 teams in the Lafreniere sweepstakes: Hawks, Coyotes, Wild, Flames, Blue Jackets, Islanders, Rangers, and... Pens. Yeah, I absolutely wouldn't be surprised to see the Habs knock off the Pens behind a fresh Carey Price and then get run out of the post-season by the Bruins or TB or Was or whoever else.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Yeah, that's right. Teams who finished in the bottom 7 just had their lottery and retained the same odds they would have had normally. Teams 8 through 15 were given a chance for a play-in to the playoffs but in exchange lost their draft pick odds. Teams 16-23 lost their guaranteed playoff status but saw their draft pick odds increase if they miss the playoffs. Teams 24-31 didn't see any real change in anything.

But at the end of the day, the Habs probably got the biggest screwjob of anyone. Because for us, we had the best odds of a top pick out of the 8-15 teams and we have statistically the worst odds of winning a Cup (especially since teams will be re-seeded after every round, so no matter how many rounds we win, we always have the toughest opponent every subsequent round). If we lost the play-in (or if the season never happens), we theoretically should have had a 25% chance of winning the next lottery based on previous odds (6% odds of top pick out of 24% total assigned to teams 8-15). Instead we have half of that. Meanwhile, like you said, better teams like Pittsburgh and Toronto can also end up with Lafreniere if they falter in 3 games.

My picks for the play in series would see the following 8 teams in the Lafreniere sweepstakes: Hawks, Coyotes, Wild, Flames, Blue Jackets, Islanders, Rangers, and... Pens. Yeah, I absolutely wouldn't be surprised to see the Habs knock off the Pens behind a fresh Carey Price and then get run out of the post-season by the Bruins or TB or Was or whoever else.

Yep we got screwed. even if we go a couple of rounds...we have to either lose in the first and get a lucky draw or we would have to somehow win the cup for this season not to be a total loss! at least that is how it looks to me!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

Yep we got screwed. even if we go a couple of rounds...we have to either lose in the first and get a lucky draw or we would have to somehow win the cup for this season not to be a total loss! at least that is how it looks to me!

There is a scenario that makes the Habs path a bit easier through the playoffs. 

Washington wins the round robin so we get the caps in round

1. Our record was 1-1-1 this year. Then the Bruins and Lightening get knocked out. 

2. We get Philly in round 2 and somehow pull of a huge upset. Also advancing are the Leafs.

3. Leafs and Habs in the Conference Final.habs are 3-0-0 against the Leafs this year.

4. Blues win the West and Habs win East. Habs were 2-0-0 vs the Blues this year. 

That is a lot easier than facing the Bruins, Tampa, Washington then having to face either the Avs or Blues.

So if we lose we either get 1st or 9th but if the right scenario plays out we COULD potentially win the cup as well. 

Yes I am a glass half full type of guy lol

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, campabee82 said:

There is a scenario that makes the Habs path a bit easier through the playoffs. 

Washington wins the round robin so we get the caps in round

1. Our record was 1-1-1 this year. Then the Bruins and Lightening get knocked out. 

2. We get Philly in round 2 and somehow pull of a huge upset. Also advancing are the Leafs.

3. Leafs and Habs in the Conference Final.habs are 3-0-0 against the Leafs this year.

4. Blues win the West and Habs win East. Habs were 2-0-0 vs the Blues this year. 

That is a lot easier than facing the Bruins, Tampa, Washington then having to face either the Avs or Blues.

So if we lose we either get 1st or 9th but if the right scenario plays out we COULD potentially win the cup as well. 

Yes I am a glass half full type of guy lol

:freu1:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Yeah, that's right. Teams who finished in the bottom 7 just had their lottery and retained the same odds they would have had normally. Teams 8 through 15 were given a chance for a play-in to the playoffs but in exchange lost their draft pick odds. Teams 16-23 lost their guaranteed playoff status but saw their draft pick odds increase if they miss the playoffs. Teams 24-31 didn't see any real change in anything.

But at the end of the day, the Habs probably got the biggest screwjob of anyone. Because for us, we had the best odds of a top pick out of the 8-15 teams and we have statistically the worst odds of winning a Cup (especially since teams will be re-seeded after every round, so no matter how many rounds we win, we always have the toughest opponent every subsequent round). If we lost the play-in (or if the season never happens), we theoretically should have had a 25% chance of winning the next lottery based on previous odds (6% odds of top pick out of 24% total assigned to teams 8-15). Instead we have half of that. Meanwhile, like you said, better teams like Pittsburgh and Toronto can also end up with Lafreniere if they falter in 3 games.

My picks for the play in series would see the following 8 teams in the Lafreniere sweepstakes: Hawks, Coyotes, Wild, Flames, Blue Jackets, Islanders, Rangers, and... Pens. Yeah, I absolutely wouldn't be surprised to see the Habs knock off the Pens behind a fresh Carey Price and then get run out of the post-season by the Bruins or TB or Was or whoever else.

That's the thing, anything can happen really. Home-ice advantage won't be a thing, from what I've read players are (understandably) reluctant and some flat out don't want to play, it's a best-of-five series in neutral territory without any fans in the standings. Players are fully rested but haven't played meaningful hockey in months. Heck, some won't have seen their teammates in months. If you're from Europe, there aren't many places where you can lace up your skates come April because rinks are closed. There's also a point to be made that we don't even deserve to participate in that play-in round. It's pure chaos and given the parity in the league, there doesn't seem to be any clear-cut favorite at this point. So someone in the league thought hey, let's reward the best teams in the standings with a shot at the #1 draft pick because they have to beat one of the worst teams in the standings in a 5-game series to have a shot at the cup? Honestly, I just don't get it.

It's great that we'll get a chance to compete in this year's "playoffs" but I still don't like our chances. I'll take a 12.5% shot at Lafreniere vs. having to face the #1 seed in every round any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.