The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2020 NHL Draft

kinot-2

6 hours ago, campabee82 said:

This is not going to be good. Leafs, Oilers, Pengiuns and Jets have a combined 50% chance at landing Lafreniere! None of those teams need or deserve another elite forward on the roster.

6 hours ago, ChiLla said:

Hopefully he ends up in the West, I‘d be okay with Winnipeg actually.

Winnipeg is actually the team I most hope he goes to. Some good young talent but not a complete team where they'd become dominant with him (they have one of the worst D corps in the league) and he'd stay in Canada on a non-Leafs team. After that, I'm rooting for another West team like Minnesota, Nashville, or to a lesser degree Edmonton. Worst case scenario for us would be Florida winning. Florida has a lot of good young talent and adding Lafreniere might be enough to keep them ahead of us in the standings on some occasions over the next 5 years. They're direct competition for us. Yes, Toronto is also in our division and also direct competition and it's much easier to dislike them, but you have to figure that team is being remodeled anyways, so who knows what they're going to look like in 4 months.

And FWIW, I think the league is hoping he goes to the Rangers.

Winterpeg is my first choice for Laf too.   I can also live with Minnesota (I dont think they've ever had a 1st overall) or Florida or NY (although id like him to be further away from our team).

The teams I do NOT want to win:  Make-me-laughs, Pens, Preds.    Oilers shouldnt win yet another 1st overall, but they keep messing them all up so probably no biggie if he goes there. lol

I am hoping for Edmonton personally cause they are the most likely to trade him back to the Habs.

we could trade a 3rd to Nashville for Turris (2 Mil retained) + 1st

then trade

Drouin + Tatar (extended 6 Mil x 5 years) + 2020 1st (Nashville) 11th OVA + 2020 1st (Montreal) 16th OVA + the higher of 2020 2nd's for Neal and 1st OVA

then Trade 

Turris to Jersey for a 3rd with 1 Mil retained

beyond any of that actually happening I hope for 

Winnipeg (2nd most likely to trade him or another good winger)

Minnesota

New York

Florida

6 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I am hoping for Edmonton personally cause they are the most likely to trade him back to the Habs.

This is an interesting thought.  There are probably a couple of teams who would consider trading him if they got him - and I could see the Habs paying the most for him, although i still think the price would be prohibitive. 

You'd have to think that any team that trades him will want either Suzuki or JK as one of the pieces coming back + a couple of mid-prime vets like Gallagher, tatar, petry etc. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

This is an interesting thought.  There are probably a couple of teams who would consider trading him if they got him - and I could see the Habs paying the most for him, although i still think the price would be prohibitive. 

You'd have to think that any team that trades him will want either Suzuki or JK as one of the pieces coming back + a couple of mid-prime vets like Gallagher, tatar, petry etc. 

Edmonton have McDavid and Draisaitl they will not want another center as the main piece they will want a top 6 30+ goal scoring winger like Tatar or a top 6 playmaking winger like Drouin we would be giving them both. Look at Edmonton's top 6 with Tatar and Drouin

Drouin-McDavid-Yamamoto

Tatar-Draisaitl-Kassian

That rivals Toronto and Tampa for best in the league

20 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Edmonton have McDavid and Draisaitl they will not want another center as the main piece they will want a top 6 30+ goal scoring winger like Tatar or a top 6 playmaking winger like Drouin we would be giving them both. Look at Edmonton's top 6 with Tatar and Drouin

You're assuming they wouldnt trade someone (or the young player they got in return).

Its never going to happen (no one is trading Laf) so its moot, but there's a ton of variables, none of which are written in stone.  

Just now, maas_art said:

You're assuming they wouldnt trade someone (or the young player they got in return).

Its never going to happen (no one is trading Laf) so its moot, but there's a ton of variables, none of which are written in stone.  

1. Yes your right.

2. I was more looking to see if the theoretically that kind of swap could work. I know pick is more likely to stay with the Oiler's

The only time i've seen Laf play is in the Junior tournament, and to tell you the truth,,, i don't see him as one of those generational talents but rather a decent 1st liner for some team. Would he help us???? Sure,,, but i wouldn't gut the team to make room for him. Just my opinion.

35 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

The only time i've seen Laf play is in the Junior tournament, and to tell you the truth,,, i don't see him as one of those generational talents but rather a decent 1st liner for some team. Would he help us???? Sure,,, but i wouldn't gut the team to make room for him. Just my opinion.

I kind of feel that way too.  Like you said, Ive seen a limited amount of him. Good player? Yes. Generational?  Tough to say at thiss point.

He seems more like Hughes than McDavid. (And obviously the verdict is still out on Hughes!)   Its always tough to tell with young players but I dont think we're losing out on Mario Lemieux here.  Where he ends up playing will be a big factor too of course.   For his sake, Pittsburgh would probably be best. Edmonton seems to kill a lot of their prospects and in Minnesota I think he might be forced into a role he isnt suited for.   Maybe Winnipeg would be ok. 

• H_T_L locked this topic