The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2020 NHL Draft

kinot-2

On 8/19/2020 at 7:07 PM, pcharnish said:

Does anyone know who couod be good around the #16 pick

Most mock drafts have us picking amongst these at 16 and these would be my personal order Dylan Holloway ( good scoring power forward lit up a junior league in Alberta, not necessarily a centre and a very young player at NCAA Wisconsin), Seth Jarvis - slick scoring right winger whl, Dawson Mercer out of the Q - scoring winger from Drummondville team, Braden Schneider  solid RH defense man who can skate, score and dish hits,  Kaiden Guhle similar LHD

There is hometown sentiment For Hendrix Lapierre who is homegrown francophone but pardon the irony putting our eggs in the basket of someone who has had a history of early concussions and back issues not to mention the associated fan and media pressure is a risky proposition despite the fact he is talented

it is a deep draft of quality prospects mostly forwards both scoring and power forwards - we should be able to pick up a quality defenseman at pick 47 or 48 in the 2nd round - I’m hoping Bergevin can package something to get a second high pick around #25-35 

4 hours ago, maas_art said:

Maybe we'll get lucky & someone will fall out of the top 10 like Caufield last year ;) 

I have a sneaking suspicion that MB is shopping this pick.   I think he'll be very aggressive this off season (whenever that is). 

He "has" to make a splash this year. Our 1st, (and possibly a 2nd), + roster player, + a very good prospect. to make a deal for what we need. 

9 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

He "has" to make a splash this year. Our 1st, (and possibly a 2nd), + roster player, + a very good prospect. to make a deal for what we need. 

Nooooo on the draft choice deals - we are building one of the best prospect pool pipelines  especially in a deep talented draft year - stay the course with a bit of patience. Have you seen who’s likely available at picks 16, 47,48 and 61? If anything I would be trying to move up to another first rounder. There’s other big splashes we can make with our cap space room, or dealing other pieces as previously talked about re Domi, Poehling Mete, Bergevin has options but I hate mortgaging the future after so much progress 

17 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

7 hours ago, claremont said:

Nooooo on the draft choice deals - we are building one of the best prospect pool pipelines  especially in a deep talented draft year - stay the course with a bit of patience. Have you seen who’s likely available at picks 16, 47,48 and 61? If anything I would be trying to move up to another first rounder. There’s other big splashes we can make with our cap space room, or dealing other pieces as previously talked about re Domi, Poehling Mete, Bergevin has options but I hate mortgaging the future after so much progress 

I think you both have valid points but the problem is that MB has a conundrum:

His best players are:

33, 35, 32   and 20 and 21.   He has some excellent support players in the 24-29 range but if you wait for players to develop - especially guys that we draft in this year's draft (mid 1st and later) the elder statesmen of the roster will be done.  

Now, the LOGICAL thing to do would be to stay the course, keep building that prospect pool, and trade some guys like Weber, Petry, Tatar etc but its not going to happen. MB saw that we were competitive now and I think he's going to try to start to contend within the next year or two. That means making a few bold moves this summer.. and i think he just might. 

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

I think you both have valid points but the problem is that MB has a conundrum:

His best players are:

33, 35, 32   and 20 and 21.   He has some excellent support players in the 24-29 range but if you wait for players to develop - especially guys that we draft in this year's draft (mid 1st and later) the elder statesmen of the roster will be done.  

Now, the LOGICAL thing to do would be to stay the course, keep building that prospect pool, and trade some guys like Weber, Petry, Tatar etc but its not going to happen. MB saw that we were competitive now and I think he's going to try to start to contend within the next year or two. That means making a few bold moves this summer.. and i think he just might. 

I question the optics of whether we were really that competitive in degree - on one hand we were top 16 if you define playoffs as the barometer and close to top 8 being close to kicking off the number 1 seed with Suzuki Kk maturity and Price Weber Petry leading the way with Kulak and Drouin picking the team up. On the other, we were abysmal in the regular season with inconsistent performances even though Tatar was scoring, and losing what 3 fg times to Detroit? 
I believe we don’t have to sacrifice our draft picks yet but the use of cap room and our middle pieces can possibly get us into top 8-16 again, and I’m ok with waiting another year as long as we see more progression. Tatar, Domi, Byron, Lehkonen, Poehling, Armia, are all in play for me on trades. 
We are in a tough conference - ruins, laffs and the bolts - it will be tough to finish in the top 3 in the division 
On D, I wish we had something to trade for the leafs recent 15th draft pick which I think will be in play for a top dman. If we cannot sign Petry to an extension, and he has a ntc clause, he’s the only attraction perhaps with minor salary retention much as I would hate that. With Weber’s 6 yrs remaining that will be a very very hard contract to trade even with salary retention. 

• 3 weeks later...

TSN running a poll asking which one of these guys should we draft at 16th. Anybody have a preference? I'm not familiar with any of them.

C/RW Dawson Mercer, Chicoutimi (NHL comparable: Blake Wheeler)
C Hendrix Lapierre, Chicoutimi (NHL comparable: Patrice Bergeron)
RW Jacob Perreault, Sarnia (NHL comparable: Kyle Palmieri)
LW Lukas Reichel, Eisbären Berlin (NHL comparable: Ondrej Palat)

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

TSN running a poll asking which one of these guys should we draft at 16th. Anybody have a preference? I'm not familiar with any of them.

Of those 4, Dawson Mercer first, Jacob Perreault (son of Yanic) is 2nd then Lapierre (was projected as a top 5 pick but has had concussions and back problems over his last 2 years of junior) , then Reichel (I’m not big on the quality of the German leagues yet)

I actually prefer Dylan Holloway, Seth Jarvis and Noel Gunler over those 4 but perhaps in the TSN poll they go earlier much like Jack Quinn. This is a deep forward draft - bottom line is we should get a good scoring prospect 

2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

IMO if you can get an additional first preferably in the 8-15 range then you use that pick to fill the winger roll probably take Gunler. Then you take the chance that Lapiere is 100%. Can you imagine if teams pass on Lapierre and he becomes better than either Byfield or Lafreniere! There were scouting reports that said Lapierre had the tallent to go 1st OVA in this draft but due to his injury history he could drop out of the first round which we are seeing now. So maybe you trade Danault to Winnipeg for 10th ++ take Sanderson or Schnider then take your wildcard pick of Lapierre at 16th.

8 hours ago, H_T_L said:

I know there are a lot of different rankings out there to look at, and they’re all different. I’ve always been partial to The Hockey News Draft Preview. Not sure how these fall in place on the other lists, but THN has Mercer at 17, Lapierre 28, Perreault 39 and Reichel 40. Just seems peculiar that the question would be posed that way, “should the Habs take a mid 1st rounder, a late 1st rounder or one of two mid 2nd rounders with their 16th overall?”... 

Anyways, of that list I like Mercer. If we could get either of Mercer, Quinn or Holtz I’d be happy (Quinn would be my preference). Guhle, Zarry or Holloway also look interesting.

Lapierre or Perrault would definitely be worth a look in the 2nd round, as would Poirier.

7 hours ago, campabee82 said:

IMO if you can get an additional first preferably in the 8-15 range then you use that pick to fill the winger roll probably take Gunler. Then you take the chance that Lapiere is 100%. Can you imagine if teams pass on Lapierre and he becomes better than either Byfield or Lafreniere! There were scouting reports that said Lapierre had the tallent to go 1st OVA in this draft but due to his injury history he could drop out of the first round which we are seeing now. So maybe you trade Danault to Winnipeg for 10th ++ take Sanderson or Schnider then take your wildcard pick of Lapierre at 16th.

I’ve been following the draft since March when we were tanking and salivating over picking 9th only to drop to 16 ffs#$&. I would love to pick up any draft pick in the 10-35 range. Winnipeg 10th would be ecstatic for the future - suspect Jack Quinn a pure sniper would fall around here or Jarvis, or Lundell. There would however be many that would say we gave up a proven roster performer for the hope of a promising draft pick that is not a dud - Hello Suzuki.... I would be happy to pick up the blues pick at 26th overall for something tbd as their future is now. On Lapierre - he is a playmaker not a sniper so I would pass on him until the 2nd round. Sanderson imo is incredibly overrated - while there are defensive exceptions to the ushl dev program, I think we can pick up a d in the 2nd round without much falloff from Sanderson (Jurmo, Grans, etc)

58 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

I know there are a lot of different rankings out there to look at, and they’re all different. I’ve always been partial to The Hockey News Draft Preview.

Anyways, of that list I like Mercer. If we could get either of Mercer, Quinn or Holtz I’d be happy (Quinn would be my preference). Guhle, Zarry or Holloway also look interesting.

Lapierre or Perrault would definitely be worth a look in the 2nd round, as would Poirier.

On ratings, Have some fun with this one - https://draftprospectshockey.com/draftsim/#/

Quinn or Holtz will be gone by pick 16 - Poirier has massive gaps in his defensive abilities- he’s got Nathan Beaulieu stamped all over him. Jacob Perreault is Yanic’s son and is a goal scorer at RW/C - he’s likely to be picked 21-31 range. Other considerations are Amirov but based on the pain Bergevin went thru to extract Romanov from mother Russia and the khl, the team may be reluctant. Noel Gunler is also in the mix at 16 with your picks. We will have some good selections at picks 47,48. I’d love for habs to move up by trading some spare parts like Hudon, Mete, Weal plus a pick to get into top 40. 

If Laine is in fact available, I would go all in. Give them a center, a couple defencemen and a couple high draft picks, one 2020 & one 2021.

They don't have to both be first rounders, but one maybe. (lottery protected) Our young centers need finishers. Imagine the confidence they would get, with all those assists?

3 hours ago, electron58 said:

If Laine is in fact available, I would go all in. Give them a center, a couple defencemen and a couple high draft picks, one 2020 & one 2021.

They don't have to both be first rounders, but one maybe. (lottery protected) Our young centers need finishers. Imagine the confidence they would get, with all those assists?

What if the centre they want is JK or Suzuki? 

On 25/08/2020 at 7:30 AM, claremont said:

we don't have enough RHD in the system ...only Juulsen , Brook and Fleury ...I think Fleury will make the grade this year so we don't have to play a smaller L Mete on his off  side ..If Edmunston gets signed I think Mete is on the move in a package deal hopefully ....The future aside from those signed ( Harris , Norlinder and Struble ) are all lefties ...a good reason not to send the 1st round pick somewhere 

15 hours ago, H_T_L said:

I don't know any of these players either but, IMO, a Blake Wheeler type player is just what the Habs need.

22 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

we don't have enough RHD in the system ...only Juulsen , Brook and Fleury ...I think Fleury will make the grade this year so we don't have to play a smaller L Mete on his off  side ..If Edmunston gets signed I think Mete is on the move in a package deal hopefully ....The future aside from those signed ( Harris , Norlinder and Struble ) are all lefties ...a good reason not to send the 1st round pick somewhere 

Totally agree with you on RHD but this years draft is one of the deepest at forwards and is light at the top 20 on defense. #16 pick is virtually guaranteed Imo to be a scoring forward  at wing. If we are drafting BAP with a bit of matching need, pick 47-48 will likely be forwards unless RHD’s  Grans, Niemela or Villanueva are available. Pick 60 we might reach for a late bloomer RHD Alex Cotton. 

44 minutes ago, maas_art said:

What if the centre they want is JK or Suzuki? 

JK OK.  We get the better player now,  But I think that we have other assets that we can move out.

Let's say Domi, Mete, Juulsen or Fleury or Brooke, 1st this year or next year (lottery protected) & 2nd this year or next year and Byron.

15 hours ago, H_T_L said:

I'm going with Lapierre. From what I've read, he has the greatest upside. I know, people are saying that he is concussion proned.  Now they are saying that, that is not the case.

He had a neck injury, so hence, the generic UBI. He is a high risk - hi reward, type of player.  We can take the chance.  We need to hit a home run!

2 hours ago, electron58 said:

I'm going with Lapierre. From what I've read, he has the greatest upside. I know, people are saying that he is concussion proned.  Now they are saying that, that is not the case.

He had a neck injury, so hence, the generic UBI. He is a high risk - hi reward, type of player.  We can take the chance.  We need to hit a home run!

I agree, he was often said to have the skill and ceiling to go 1st OVA before his injury. I would say that  makes him the BPA if he is healthy.

4 hours ago, arpem-can said:

we don't have enough RHD in the system ...only Juulsen , Brook and Fleury .

Between those 3 I think we'll be ok for 2nd and 3 pairings.  I am confident at least one will be able to step up to the second pair.  But that top RHD is just as elusive as top LHD.  For now we have two 1a RHD but they arent getting any younger. Would love to have a few more options at RD.  Assume we will draft at least one or two this year... 

4 hours ago, electron58 said:

Enormous francophone  pressure on a 6ft 181 lb playmaking centre from Gatineau to be converted To a left wing. The key word is playmaking - he’s all about assists-  his shot is not up there with some of the others. If we had two picks, I would say sure but don’t want all the eggs to get scrambled with him. At 16th pick there is still upside with Holloway, Mercer, Gunler, Jarvis and even Amirov - we need Steve Shutt trigger men with some size who can put the biscuit in the peanut butter shelf to compliment Caufield 

9 hours ago, claremont said:

Quinn or Holtz will be gone by pick 16 - Poirier has massive gaps in his defensive abilities- he’s got Nathan Beaulieu stamped all over him. Jacob Perreault is Yanic’s son and is a goal scorer at RW/C - he’s likely to be picked 21-31 range. Other considerations are Amirov but based on the pain Bergevin went thru to extract Romanov from mother Russia and the khl, the team may be reluctant. Noel Gunler is also in the mix at 16 with your picks. We will have some good selections at picks 47,48. I’d love for habs to move up by trading some spare parts like Hudon, Mete, Weal plus a pick to get into top 40. 

Your most likely right about Quinn and Holtz being gone by 16, but you never know. We would have said the same thing about Caufield, and look what happened. Every year someone slips, every year someone surprises and jumps up into the top 10. That’s why I said Quinn, Holtz or Mercer, I’ll be happy with either one.

I hear what your saying about Poirier, “massive gaps in his defensive game” might even be an understatement. But man, when it comes to offence, that kid has something special about him. And for me, that’s what I’m looking for. Maybe he can be taught to improve the things he does poorly (or not at all), but the things he does right, those are the things that can’t be taught. So I would for sure down a 2nd on him, he is probably the highest risk/reward player in the draft. You mentioned Bealieu as a comparison, that’s not what I see. Worst case (besides just not making it) I see Ghostebhere, with Karlsson potential. Lol now, the odds of him reaching maximum potential are pretty slim I suppose, but what else are we going to do with all of those 2nd’s? We already have lots of decent Defensive prospects in our system, what we don’t have is something special...

• H_T_L locked this topic