Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2020 NHL Draft


kinot-2
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 14/09/2020 at 6:46 PM, claremont said:

Enormous francophone  pressure on a 6ft 181 lb playmaking centre from Gatineau to be converted To a left wing. The key word is playmaking - he’s all about assists-  his shot is not up there with some of the others. If we had two picks, I would say sure but don’t want all the eggs to get scrambled with him. At 16th pick there is still upside with Holloway, Mercer, Gunler, Jarvis and even Amirov - we need Steve Shutt trigger men with some size who can put the biscuit in the peanut butter shelf to compliment Caufield 

I could'nt agree more !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/14/2020 at 5:46 PM, claremont said:

Enormous francophone  pressure on a 6ft 181 lb playmaking centre from Gatineau to be converted To a left wing. The key word is playmaking - he’s all about assists-  his shot is not up there with some of the others. If we had two picks, I would say sure but don’t want all the eggs to get scrambled with him. At 16th pick there is still upside with Holloway, Mercer, Gunler, Jarvis and even Amirov - we need Steve Shutt trigger men with some size who can put the biscuit in the peanut butter shelf to compliment Caufield 

You are absolutely correct there. Then it would be up to the Habs scouting staff, to know if he would excel or buckle under that pressure. Guy Lafleur excelled. I'm not making any comparisons other than the francophone aspect. Some players are leaders, and others are followers. Maybe Lapierre would be a leader. Worth a chance. Like you said - a playmaker. And on another note, Drouin is NOT a leader. I don't even know, if he is a follower. I know that he has nine lives, and Bergevin is letting him use all nine. So sad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/14/2020 at 5:46 PM, claremont said:

Enormous francophone  pressure on a 6ft 181 lb playmaking centre from Gatineau to be converted To a left wing. The key word is playmaking - he’s all about assists-  his shot is not up there with some of the others. If we had two picks, I would say sure but don’t want all the eggs to get scrambled with him. At 16th pick there is still upside with Holloway, Mercer, Gunler, Jarvis and even Amirov - we need Steve Shutt trigger men with some size who can put the biscuit in the peanut butter shelf to compliment Caufield 

You are absolutely correct there. Then it would be up to the Habs scouting staff, to know if he would excel or buckle under that pressure. Guy Lafleur excelled. I'm not making any comparisons other than the francophone aspect. Some players are leaders, and others are followers. Maybe Lapierre would be a leader. Worth a chance. Like you said - a playmaker. And on another note, Drouin is NOT a leader. I don't even know, if he is a follower. I know that he has nine lives, and Bergevin is letting him use all nine. So sad.

(not sure why the double post, I only hit it once.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, electron58 said:

You are absolutely correct there. Then it would be up to the Habs scouting staff, to know if he would excel or buckle under that pressure. Guy Lafleur excelled. I'm not making any comparisons other than the francophone aspect. Some players are leaders, and others are followers. Maybe Lapierre would be a leader. Worth a chance. Like you said - a playmaker. And on another note, Drouin is NOT a leader. I don't even know, if he is a follower. I know that he has nine lives, and Bergevin is letting him use all nine. So sad.

Far too much risk with Lapierre, concussions, twisted vertebrae, coupled with a pass first, shoot later mentality where he doesn’t drive the net - last thing we need is another soft hesitant forward - Drouin deux. I would rather take my chances with Mercer or Holloway, Jarvis (slightly on the small side but has grit) or Gunler, Perreault even Amirov. While all draft picks have some boom or bust potential as witnessed by some our our previous picks, I want some solid physicality and IQ - Lapierre doesn’t do it for me at all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, claremont said:

Far too much risk with Lapierre, concussions, twisted vertebrae, coupled with a pass first, shoot later mentality where he doesn’t drive the net - last thing we need is another soft hesitant forward - Drouin deux. I would rather take my chances with Mercer or Holloway, Jarvis (slightly on the small side but has grit) or Gunler, Perreault even Amirov. While all draft picks have some boom or bust potential as witnessed by some our our previous picks, I want some solid physicality and IQ - Lapierre doesn’t do it for me at all. 

You're probably right there, Claremont. Factor in his mid-average skating ability - he may be a player to stay away from. A once highly touted prospect, it's hard to say, how his game will translate to the pro ranks. Maybe if he's still there with our 3rd 2nd round pick?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/24/2020 at 5:41 PM, maas_art said:

Maybe we'll get lucky & someone will fall out of the top 10 like Caufield last year ;) 


I have a sneaking suspicion that MB is shopping this pick.   I think he'll be very aggressive this off season (whenever that is). 

I would have thrown it in the Laine hat, but apparently, that isn't happening. So.......Who would we want? Who could be available?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, electron58 said:

I would have thrown it in the Laine hat, but apparently, that isn't happening. So.......Who would we want? Who could be available?

I don’t see Bergevin shopping our 16th overall pick. This is a deep forward draft with some good potential scorers. I just don’t think he mortgages the future now. I could see him trading the 2021 1st rounder assuming we have a good draft this year. He may shop or try to move up picks in the 2nd round #47,#48 or #56 for a Lapierre, Perreault Foerster, , Bourque or a raw RD if they fell into picks 32-40. Edmonton’s Holland wants to dump former #1 Puljujarvi and thinks he could get someone’s first rounder AND a prospect (talk about a do over - that would be ridiculous) Puljujarvi hasn’t even proved he can play in the NHL. Maybe one of these 2nds Gets tossed into a trade with Domi or Danault or Mete for a scorer under contract. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/25/2020 at 10:11 PM, claremont said:

I don’t see Bergevin shopping our 16th overall pick. This is a deep forward draft with some good potential scorers. I just don’t think he mortgages the future now. I could see him trading the 2021 1st rounder assuming we have a good draft this year. He may shop or try to move up picks in the 2nd round #47,#48 or #56 for a Lapierre, Perreault Foerster, , Bourque or a raw RD if they fell into picks 32-40. Edmonton’s Holland wants to dump former #1 Puljujarvi and thinks he could get someone’s first rounder AND a prospect (talk about a do over - that would be ridiculous) Puljujarvi hasn’t even proved he can play in the NHL. Maybe one of these 2nds Gets tossed into a trade with Domi or Danault or Mete for a scorer under contract. 

From what I've read, about possible picks for Montreal @ 16th - most of them have skating issues. They may be super smart hockey wise and put up big numbers in Junior, but their achilles heel is their skating. I believe there was a center & a  defenseman that could skate. We don't need any more small smart players that can't skate, and we don't need any more small ballerinas that can't score. Laine, @ 6'5", can score & skate!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, electron58 said:

From what I've read, about possible picks for Montreal @ 16th - most of them have skating issues. They may be super smart hockey wise and put up big numbers in Junior, but their achilles heel is their skating. I believe there was a center & a  defenseman that could skate. We don't need any more small smart players that can't skate, and we don't need any more small ballerinas that can't score. Laine, @ 6'5", can score & skate!

Not sure where you get the skating issues depending on whether you define it as speed, power/size to be knocked off your skates, or edge work/elusiveness. There are some good skaters projected at 16 such as 6ft 178 RW Dawson Mercer, 6-1, 203 Dylan Holloway, 5-11 192 Jacob Perreault both likely wingers or centers. Although a bit small 5-10 172 Seth Jarvis has an unreal motor. 
still some good skaters at picks 47–48 too. 
there’s some good power forwards in round 2 where we have 3 picks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, claremont said:

Not sure where you get the skating issues depending on whether you define it as speed, power/size to be knocked off your skates, or edge work/elusiveness. There are some good skaters projected at 16 such as 6ft 178 RW Dawson Mercer, 6-1, 203 Dylan Holloway, 5-11 192 Jacob Perreault both likely wingers or centers. Although a bit small 5-10 172 Seth Jarvis has an unreal motor. 
still some good skaters at picks 47–48 too. 
there’s some good power forwards in round 2 where we have 3 picks. 

Yes.  Dawson Mercer is a very good choice.  Yes. Dylan Holloway is a very good choice. Yes. Jacob Perreault is a very good choice. Yes. Seth Jarvis is a very good choice, although a little small. You're right, claremont, these are all pretty good choices for us. Any of the first 3 would be very good picks, but I would still package any of them in a Laine deal. Having said that, my gut feeling would be, Montreal picks Jacob Perreault

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

I still have this sneaking suspicion we wont be picking 16th.  

16th likely gets you a guy who is 2-4 years away from playing a major role on this team. Based on the way we seem to be leaning right now,  I think MB trades this pick. 

Hmm. Hard to say. Bergevin often times finds the big trades "hard." :lol: I think we keep the pick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

I still have this sneaking suspicion we wont be picking 16th.  

16th likely gets you a guy who is 2-4 years away from playing a major role on this team. Based on the way we seem to be leaning right now,  I think MB trades this pick. 

I agree this year he seems to be primed to make a splash 16th is nothing really we have no idea if it will turn into an impact player so i could se it getting moved.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, BornToBeAHab said:

Montreal could of traded up traded up and nabbed Anthony Mantha in his draft year . They could of traded up and drafted Miko Kiovu in his draft year as well .So if their is somebody their somebody they like ,then maybe they should trade up. I am hoping for Holloway .

Might get Holloway at 16. Hard to say, but like every year, surprises occur. Still believe, pick gets flipped in a package. I hope so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Where there's smoke..............Something has to happen. All the prognosticators, reporters, talk show hosts feel that Bergevin is going to do something big.  It's not just us on here wishing for this or that to happen. So if after all this, it would be a colossal let down, if nothing transpires. At the very least, let's hope he doesn't do another Alzner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Where there's smoke..............Something has to happen. All the prognosticators, reporters, talk show hosts feel that Bergevin is going to do something big.  It's not just us on here wishing for this or that to happen. So if after all this, it would be a colossal let down, if nothing transpires. At the very least, let's hope he doesn't do another Alzner.

Well.
I mean, it feels like the media tends to always float stories about how the Canadian teams are planning something big. Montreal included. I expect Bergevin will do "something" but it might be something none of us are too excited about. He loves to tinker. I doubt we'll bring in a 30 goal scorer or a top-two defender.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Well.
I mean, it feels like the media tends to always float stories about how the Canadian teams are planning something big. Montreal included. I expect Bergevin will do "something" but it might be something none of us are too excited about. He loves to tinker. I doubt we'll bring in a 30 goal scorer or a top-two defender.

I forget what thread it was in, couldn't find it again, but one of the posters stated that they thought Bergevin was happy with his starting 6 defensemen. I'm in agreement with this. Picking up Edmundson should stabilize the defense.  I know, that we wanted a #1/#2 LD, but I don't think that will happen now.  The goaltending is strong enough now, where we should not ever see a "tired" Carey Price, whether it's "mental" or "physical".  So the target has to be an upgrade on the right wing.  #1 to be exact. This is Bergy's final task. If he can't do that, then this offseason will be considered a "fail".  Nothing less than a Hoffman, but do what it takes & go all out. Still pulling for Laine or Ehlers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, electron58 said:

I forget what thread it was in, couldn't find it again, but one of the posters stated that they thought Bergevin was happy with his starting 6 defensemen. I'm in agreement with this. Picking up Edmundson should stabilize the defense.  I know, that we wanted a #1/#2 LD, but I don't think that will happen now.  The goaltending is strong enough now, where we should not ever see a "tired" Carey Price, whether it's "mental" or "physical".  So the target has to be an upgrade on the right wing.  #1 to be exact. This is Bergy's final task. If he can't do that, then this offseason will be considered a "fail".  Nothing less than a Hoffman, but do what it takes & go all out. Still pulling for Laine or Ehlers.

Does anyone think with any big all out move that this team can suddenly vault from barely being a top 16 team last year (top 20 as they were fortunate to getting into the qualifying round and surprising Pittsburgh), and morph to a top 4 conference finalist team? I don’t. I’ll repeat that there are far too many question marks for KK, Suzuki, Romanov, Drouin, and now Edmundson and Allen to play at the highest levels that us “homers” think that they are capable of. Yes we will win more games (and hopefully not lose 4 games to $&*# Detroit or 2 to the #$&@ Devils) , but is one big trade and/or free agent going to push us into that stratosphere?

 If your answer is No, then why do you set yourself those lofty big expectations for Bergevin and class it as failure?
I’m not saying to sit back and not try or do nothing or not enable our youngsters, but we need a future of continued progression without adding the 3-4 year terms of over priced “average pieces” or retools. With the exception of Laine / Ehlers, or maybe Hall, then Dadonov, Hoffman and Toffoli are filler pieces for this year and next until those question marks I refer to above develop some consistency. Add 1 but not for big $ or term is ok. 
Three items are making me think we are on the right track 1) the progression of Nick, KK 2) the growth of Caufield, Struble, Norlinder and possibly Harris 3) I’ve watched a lot of film on this year’s draft prospects and believe there are some real difference makers forthcoming. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Well.
I mean, it feels like the media tends to always float stories about how the Canadian teams are planning something big. Montreal included. I expect Bergevin will do "something" but it might be something none of us are too excited about. He loves to tinker. I doubt we'll bring in a 30 goal scorer or a top-two defender.

Agree.  There's a reason why guys like Eklund seem to attach Montreal and/or Toronto to basically every rumour out there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, claremont said:

Does anyone think with any big all out move that this team can suddenly vault from barely being a top 16 team last year (top 20 as they were fortunate to getting into the qualifying round and surprising Pittsburgh), and morph to a top 4 conference finalist team? I don’t. I’ll repeat that there are far too many question marks for KK, Suzuki, Romanov, Drouin, and now Edmundson and Allen to play at the highest levels that us “homers” think that they are capable of. Yes we will win more games (and hopefully not lose 4 games to $&*# Detroit or 2 to the #$&@ Devils) , but is one big trade and/or free agent going to push us into that stratosphere?

To be a contender I believe this team needs two things: 1) an elite talent winger. 2) a top pairing LD.   

Lets say you had a genie and you could add Hedman and Kucherov onto this roster without losing anyone (forget the cap for a minute, this is fictional). We would contend.  

Now, obviously you're not getting those guys - and you're likely not getting anything near that quality without giving up assets.  So the trick becomes: can you add a guy like Laine or Tarasenko without giving up too many players you need? I dont think you can get Laine without giving up JK or Suzuki for example, but what if you can? by adding a top RW while losign someone like say Domi or Danault, are we better?  What if JK or Suzuki falter?   I actually feel that even if we face some adversity, we will be ok. He may trade Domi or Danault but likely not both so one of those guys will be around to step in if needed. 

There's some big "ifs" for sure. But bergevin is finally in a position to improve this team and take it to the next level. He has good depth, he can move a couple of players (domi, danault, kulak, mete - not all of them of course!) cap space and draft picks. 

The big concern that i have is that our defense is just not as good as MB thinks it is.   Sure, if Romanov has a calder-worthy season, we're laughing but what if our best LD is once again Chiarot?  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, maas_art said:

To be a contender I believe this team needs two things: 1) an elite talent winger. 2) a top pairing LD.   

Lets say you had a genie and you could add Hedman and Kucherov onto this roster without losing anyone (forget the cap for a minute, this is fictional). We would contend.  

Now, obviously you're not getting those guys - and you're likely not getting anything near that quality without giving up assets.  So the trick becomes: can you add a guy like Laine or Tarasenko without giving up too many players you need? I dont think you can get Laine without giving up JK or Suzuki for example, but what if you can? by adding a top RW while losign someone like say Domi or Danault, are we better?  What if JK or Suzuki falter?   I actually feel that even if we face some adversity, we will be ok. He may trade Domi or Danault but likely not both so one of those guys will be around to step in if needed. 

There's some big "ifs" for sure. But bergevin is finally in a position to improve this team and take it to the next level. He has good depth, he can move a couple of players (domi, danault, kulak, mete - not all of them of course!) cap space and draft picks. 

The big concern that i have is that our defense is just not as good as MB thinks it is.   Sure, if Romanov has a calder-worthy season, we're laughing but what if our best LD is once again Chiarot?  

 

Pretty much how I see it. Would adding a couple pieces make us favourites? No. But legitimately competitive? Yes. Dallas was by no means a favourite to win the cup going into the year, but look how close they came. 
I don’t think we were nearly as bad as our record suggested. We beat Pittsburgh, and IMO outplayed Philadelphia. A couple of timely goals, a couple of timely saves and that series could have easily went our way. The unfortunate thing is, like the season before, we could put up another 100+ point season and still be fighting for a wildcard spot, simply because of how tough our division is. Nothing we can do about that though, we can’t just sit around and wait till we “look” like favourites to win our division.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

To be a contender I believe this team needs two things: 1) an elite talent winger. 2) a top pairing LD.   
Lets say you had a genie and you could add Hedman and Kucherov onto this roster without losing anyone (forget the cap for a minute, this is fictional). We would contend.  

So the trick becomes: can you add a guy like Laine or Tarasenko without giving up too many players you need? I dont think you can get Laine without giving up JK or Suzuki for example, but what if you can? by adding a top RW while losign someone like say Domi or Danault, are we better?  What if JK or Suzuki falter?   I actually feel that even if we face some adversity, we will be ok. He may trade Domi or Danault but likely not both so one of those guys will be around to step in if needed. 

There's some big "ifs" for sure. But bergevin is finally in a position to improve this team and take it to the next level. He has good depth, he can move a couple of players (domi, danault, kulak, mete - not all of them of course!) cap space and draft picks. 

The big concern that i have is that our defense is just not as good as MB thinks it is.   

I agree with you on the two required things. Where I may differ with you is on the definition of contender. I don’t believe that even with those two pieces and for arguments sake Hedman and Kucherov that we would be a top 4 conference finalist.
I’m not a believer in anything can happen and our division is still pretty tough. 

Our supporting cast is just not proven enough yet, so why gamble / big move on those required pieces now with draft picks or even cap space unless short term - moderate $.  Spare parts Domi/Danualt, Mete, Armia, Byron, Lehkonen and most roster pieces certainly swing for the fences with those. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...