Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

What Is Our SCFs Window?


kinot-2
 Share

Recommended Posts

What is our window to get to the SCFs? I'm not talking about the 1st, 2nd,or 3rd RD, I talking about the SCFs. We all know that Weber, Price, Benn, Petry, and 2 others are over 30. Yes we have young players too, but, IMO, our "go to players", are all ageing. Now, you could say that Bergy will do the right thing and sign "X" players to make us stronger, but, he could make a "boo-boo" and add another "Alzner". 

So, what's you best guess? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

What is our window to get to the SCFs? I'm not talking about the 1st, 2nd,or 3rd RD, I talking about the SCFs. We all know that Weber, Price, Benn, Petry, and 2 others are over 30. Yes we have young players too, but, IMO, our "go to players", are all ageing. Now, you could say that Bergy will do the right thing and sign "X" players to make us stronger, but, he could make a "boo-boo" and add another "Alzner". 

So, what's you best guess? 

FWIW pretty sure Benn wont be back.  Still, key players like Price, Weber and Petry are getting on.  I think Price will be good for a while still - goal is a position where its not unusual for older players to play well.  Petry & Weber though?  Not sure.  You mention our "go to" guys are older but i disagree.   I would consider our main core to be the 3 you mentioned (older) as well as Domi, Drouin, Gallagher, JK, Danault, Lehks and Shaw. All are well under 30.  On defense, definitely our 2 best are older but guys like Juulsen, Mete, Kulak are all younger.  Brook and Fleury may soon challenge for spots. 

Right now  - since we just missed the playoffs - i think its difficult to argue that our window is even open.  But a lot can change with a couple of moves. Lets say we sign Duchene (like it or not, long-term, we are better for the short term with him) and then trade a forward for a legit top LD.  Now we're far more competitive.  Fix the PP and maybe we're a contender.  

We're in a position where we really should start thinking about making some moves to contend. Its obvious MB is not trading Weber or Price so get them the right players needed to win or in the very near future.  We have a lot of cap flexibility right now but in a few years that will not be true. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, maas_art said:

FWIW pretty sure Benn wont be back.  Still, key players like Price, Weber and Petry are getting on.  I think Price will be good for a while still - goal is a position where its not unusual for older players to play well.  Petry & Weber though?  Not sure.  You mention our "go to" guys are older but i disagree.   I would consider our main core to be the 3 you mentioned (older) as well as Domi, Drouin, Gallagher, JK, Danault, Lehks and Shaw. All are well under 30.  On defense, definitely our 2 best are older but guys like Juulsen, Mete, Kulak are all younger.  Brook and Fleury may soon challenge for spots. 

Right now  - since we just missed the playoffs - i think its difficult to argue that our window is even open.  But a lot can change with a couple of moves. Lets say we sign Duchene (like it or not, long-term, we are better for the short term with him) and then trade a forward for a legit top LD.  Now we're far more competitive.  Fix the PP and maybe we're a contender.  

We're in a position where we really should start thinking about making some moves to contend. Its obvious MB is not trading Weber or Price so get them the right players needed to win or in the very near future.  We have a lot of cap flexibility right now but in a few years that will not be true. 
 

Sry, Jed, but when is our window? 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, years or more? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Sry, Jed, but when is our window? 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, years or more? 

Ask me again in a couple of weeks.  The way the team is today, i feel like its still not open.  If we sign / trade a couple of players then maybe that changes.  Ideally i think it should be in the next 2 - 3 years but its all going to depend on what MB does next. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

What is our window to get to the SCFs? I'm not talking about the 1st, 2nd,or 3rd RD, I talking about the SCFs. We all know that Weber, Price, Benn, Petry, and 2 others are over 30. Yes we have young players too, but, IMO, our "go to players", are all ageing. Now, you could say that Bergy will do the right thing and sign "X" players to make us stronger, but, he could make a "boo-boo" and add another "Alzner". 

So, what's you best guess? 

In this NHL you can win any year but I consider being in the "window" when you're considered a "contender" and we are currently not.

Of the players you mentioned only Price matters. Gardiner is about to make the same amount as Weber does. So he's a #1 making top 4 money. Even if he slips, his contract won't be bad. Petry is on a good deal but as much as I like him, he's a piece to a winning team, not key.

So its only Price. I get the rush to win now because of him. But there is no real opportunity for that. Signing a second line center and paying him first line money, doesn't make us a contender and hurts our ability to become one.

We have a better chance of becoming a contender if young guys step up then signing an overpriced second line center

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

What is our window to get to the SCFs? I'm not talking about the 1st, 2nd,or 3rd RD, I talking about the SCFs. We all know that Weber, Price, Benn, Petry, and 2 others are over 30. Yes we have young players too, but, IMO, our "go to players", are all ageing. Now, you could say that Bergy will do the right thing and sign "X" players to make us stronger, but, he could make a "boo-boo" and add another "Alzner". 

So, what's you best guess? 

To me as a fan or a GM your 'window' always has to be now if you are considered to be challenging for a playoff spot then you should be focusing on how to make your team a cup contender. The ONLY time that you shouldn't be focusing on being a cup contender is if your in full rebuild mode.

3 hours ago, habsisme said:

In this NHL you can win any year but I consider being in the "window" when you're considered a "contender" and we are currently not.

Of the players you mentioned only Price matters. Gardiner is about to make the same amount as Weber does. So he's a #1 making top 4 money. Even if he slips, his contract won't be bad. Petry is on a good deal but as much as I like him, he's a piece to a winning team, not key.

So its only Price. I get the rush to win now because of him. But there is no real opportunity for that. Signing a second line center and paying him first line money, doesn't make us a contender and hurts our ability to become one.

We have a better chance of becoming a contender if young guys step up then signing an overpriced second line center

I also don't see how a .75ish PPG player can be considered second line player what does that make Domi 3rd line then cause he is a career .68 PPG player. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, campabee82 said:

To me as a fan or a GM your 'window' always has to be now if you are considered to be challenging for a playoff spot then you should be focusing on how to make your team a cup contender. The ONLY time that you shouldn't be focusing on being a cup contender is if your in full rebuild mode.

I also don't see how a .75ish PPG player can be considered second line player what does that make Domi 3rd line then cause he is a career .68 PPG player. 

It all depends on how quickly our current young guys do and our future youth develop. With an adequate back up and an additional LD from within or via trade I think it will be possible in 2-4 years and could last for 6+ years depending on how quickly some of our future D develop along with some of our future forwards, and possibly even how quickly Primeau comes into his own. We realistically could compete for the next 6-8 years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

What I look before everything... Is how a player in question is talented. Is how the players in question are talented. This word is my favorite word in ice hockey. Talented for me has a multiple meaning. It matters for everybody. His and their playing style His and their skating. His and their work ethic. His and their IQ. His and their physical test. His and their type of lifestyle. Him and them as a human being on and off the ice. Him and them as a model. Him and them being a winner on our winning team. Him and them being collective on our collective team. Him and them adapting to the reality of the Montreal. Him seeing himself as a Hab. His and their sincere desire to be a Hab. Him and them having some values of a real Hab.

Don’t let ourselves being from the old school style. Let ourselves being from the revolution school style. Not copying the others teams. Let the others copying us. We should be the reference in this sport. We should be the reference in the National Hockey League. We should be the reference in North America. We should be the reference in the world. Enough we stuck to the word size... Just get a size of talented players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎2019‎-‎07‎-‎13 at 2:56 PM, ahmedou said:

What I look before everything... Is how a player in question is talented. Is how the players in question are talented. This word is my favorite word in ice hockey. Talented for me has a multiple meaning. It matters for everybody. His and their playing style His and their skating. His and their work ethic. His and their IQ. His and their physical test. His and their type of lifestyle. Him and them as a human being on and off the ice. Him and them as a model. Him and them being a winner on our winning team. Him and them being collective on our collective team. Him and them adapting to the reality of the Montreal. Him seeing himself as a Hab. His and their sincere desire to be a Hab. Him and them having some values of a real Hab.

Don’t let ourselves being from the old school style. Let ourselves being from the revolution school style. Not copying the others teams. Let the others copying us. We should be the reference in this sport. We should be the reference in the National Hockey League. We should be the reference in North America. We should be the reference in the world. Enough we stuck to the word size... Just get a size of talented players.

   geez this is a great comment ...what I see when Montreal acquires a player is how that player reacts to coming to the Habs organization ….most recently Domi but as well Thompson and Chiarot were all glowing about it ...for the Quebec kids like Danault , Hudon and Drouin it's about growing up in a strong hockey culture and being close to home ...I always wished Montreal would acquire Crosby somehow because he grew up a Habs fan  ...Cousin's family are all Habs fans ..this is important because when the jersey goes on it should be about pride in the city , fans and organization and wanting to do your best ...my father was a Habs fan , my brothers and my mother and most extended family members from the Ottawa area ...I was 6 years old and we were living in Toronto when Hockey Night in Canada was ONLY about --are they hopefully going to show Danny Gallivan and the Habs tonight ?( unless it was against Toronto or the Leafs were out of town  ) ...I'm now 72 and have seen this team win plenty of Stanleys and now thanks to internet streaming I can watch every game ..I like this team's effort every night last year ..if an extremely "talented" Drouin can 100% get with the defensive program all the better ..I think he will …...and how ironic is it that the St. Cloud University logo looks for all the world like a Habs jersey ?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...
  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...