2019-20 Habs Lines

198 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Barring trades and when healthy, I'd go

Domi-Suzuki-Gallagher

Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Kovalchuk

Tatar-Danault-Armia

Byron-Poehling-Lehkonen

Trade Thompson. Demote Weise and Weal. Cousins is your 13th forward.

That is a dangerous lineup

KK had 3 assist last night as the Rocket beat the Comets 5-4 in O.T. He now has 4 points in 2 games as the 1C seems like he really did just need better wingers!

52 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

KK had 3 assist last night as the Rocket beat the Comets 5-4 in O.T. He now has 4 points in 2 games as the 1C seems like he really did just need better wingers!

It's absolutely great to see him doing better. That said it doesn't automatically translate because he is playing in a league now where he should dominate. Hudon is the #1 scorer on the pp down there also and has been a great performer at the AHL level. I do think he'll get an opportunity to have better wingers because as the line up gets healthy we'll have a strong top nine. I still think it will be a while before he's able to play against the top lines in the NHL. When he's 20-21 and grows more into his frame I think he'll be much better. Great confidence boost for the kid though! Nice to see!

2 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

It's absolutely great to see him doing better. That said it doesn't automatically translate because he is playing in a league now where he should dominate. Hudon is the #1 scorer on the pp down there also and has been a great performer at the AHL level. I do think he'll get an opportunity to have better wingers because as the line up gets healthy we'll have a strong top nine. I still think it will be a while before he's able to play against the top lines in the NHL. When he's 20-21 and grows more into his frame I think he'll be much better. Great confidence boost for the kid though! Nice to see!

This.

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

Great to hear he's off to a solid start. Exactly what he needs. A boost in confidence and perhaps some more direct coaching. I hope he has a stellar end of season in Laval and helps them make the playoffs.

Wonder if Montreal could con Florida out of Matheson for Chiarot or Kulak. The following article states that Tallon is looking for a vereran D to play with Ekblad and that the team has seemed to fallen out of favor with Matheson. I doubt we could swing a 1 for 1 deal but maybe we could get decent enough value to make it work.

https://www.tsn.ca/countdown-to-tradecentre-could-the-florida-panthers-make-a-hockey-trade-1.1438063

1 minute ago, campabee82 said:

Wonder if Montreal could con Florida out of Matheson for Chiarot or Kulak. The following article states that Tallon is looking for a vereran D to play with Ekblad and that the team has seemed to fallen out of favor with Matheson. I doubt we could swing a 1 for 1 deal but maybe we could get decent enough value to make it work.

https://www.tsn.ca/countdown-to-tradecentre-could-the-florida-panthers-make-a-hockey-trade-1.1438063

They'd want more than Kulak or Chairot for Matheson, Guaranteed.  Maybe Chiarot + a decent prospect like Fleury or Evans but they arent giving him up cheap regardless of whether he's in their plans or not.  I dont think MB would consider moving Chiarot to be honest. 

Just now, maas_art said:

They'd want more than Kulak or Chairot for Matheson, Guaranteed.  Maybe Chiarot + a decent prospect like Fleury or Evans but they arent giving him up cheap regardless of whether he's in their plans or not.  I dont think MB would consider moving Chiarot to be honest. 

I did say I doubt we could get him in a 1 for 1 but I don't mind going Chiarot + Evans for Matheson

Post trade deadline, this is the skeleton of what my line-up would look like next year, barring any further trades...

Tatar-Suzuki-Gallagher

Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Armia

Domi-Danault-Lehkonen

Byron-Poehling-Evans

Kulak-Petry

Romanov-Weber

Chiarot-Fleury

Mete

Price

Primeau

So what are the obvious problems that need to be addressed with this line-up?

1. The D is horrible. Weber will be a year older. Petry will be on an expiring contract. Romanov is a giant question mark, but there's no one on the left side. I don't see any of Kulak, Chiarot, or Mete as being a viable long-term option on the left. They're all third-pairing D men. We're two top-4 LHD from having a top 4 and we're falling away from having top 4 D men on the right too. Is Brook going to be one? Questionable. Is Juulsen going to come back and be an NHLer? Even more questionable. There are no D men on this team that you can say today are legitimate NHL defencemen who will be in your top 4 in three years. None. The Habs needed to use the trade deadline to turn one or two players into future D assets.

2. The top 6 is not horrible up front, IF IF IF the Habs accept that they need to use Suzuki and Kotkaniemi in their two offensive roles and Danault in a two-way 3C role, instead of continuing to give him the best wingers. Might also help your contract negotiations with Danault too! But the Habs still don't have a star up front. They don't have a single top-30 forward in the league, despite how much you can like Gallagher or Tatar. There are a ton of teams that have multiple forwards better than anyone we have on our team. Edmonton has McDavid and Draisaitl. Pittsburgh has Malkin and Crosby. Tampa has Stamkos, Kucherov, and Point. Washington has Ovi and Kuznetsov. Boston has Pastrnak, Marchand, and Bergeron. Toronto has Matthews, Marner, Nylander, and Tavares. Vancouver has Petterson and Boeser. Calgary has Monahan and Gaudreau. Dallas has Seguin and Benn. Colorado has MacKinnon and Rantanen and maybe you'd even consider Landeskog. Nashville with Johanson and Forsberg. Florida with Huberdeau and Barkov. St. Louis has O'Reilly and Tarasenko. And so on. We're playing not only without a top player to match other teams, we're often playing games where the top 2, 3, or even 4 forwards on the ice are on the other bench. That's why we needed 1st round picks and a quick tank to get near the top of the lottery. There are 6-7 elite talents in this draft, so it is/was an opportunity to grab one.

3. Armia is playing a line above where he should be. A 3rd line of Lehkonen-Danault-Armia would be decent, but unless Caufield is ready, we're one top 6 RW short right now.

4. Domi isn't a fit as is. You have Tatar on an expiring deal, you have inconsistent Drouin, and you have Domi, a guy who wants to be a top-line center but can't win that job. So is he a winger? Is he a 1st liner or 2nd liner or 3rd liner on this team? The Habs need a top 6 RW. They have holes on D. One of Tatar, Drouin, or Domi feels like a trade chip to accomplish that, and if Domi won't accept being a winger, he jumps to the front of that line.

5. Byron is making too much money to be a 4th liner. But he's also not supplanting Lehkonen or Armia as a 3rd liner for me, and he's not good enough to be a top 6 forward. He also becomes a trade chip if we can re-establish his value.

After the deadline here is what Capfriendly lists as our roster depth.

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher 

Drouin-Suzuki-Armia

Byron-Domi-Weal

Lehkonen-Evans-Wiese

Chiarot-Weber

Kulak-Petry 

Alzner-Folin

Price 

Lindgren

So basically we didn't call anyone up to replace the guys we traded. We have 2 D men out injured Mete and Ouellette and as a result are only carrying 21 guys on a 23 man roster. The Rocket are no better off they currently have 13 forwards and 5 D men and 3 Goalies the whole organization is seriously thin depth wise 

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher 

Drouin-Suzuki-Armia

Byron-Domi-Weal

Lehkonen-Evans-Wiese

Chiarot-Weber

Kulak-Petry 

Alzner-Folin

Price 

Lindgren

So basically we didn't call anyone up to replace the guys we traded. We have 2 D men out injured Mete and Ouellette and as a result are only carrying 21 guys on a 23 man roster. The Rocket are no better off they currently have 13 forwards and 5 D men and 3 Goalies the whole organization is seriously thin depth wise 

Oh, but we will soldier on, despite the consequences. 

9 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher 

Drouin-Suzuki-Armia

Byron-Domi-Weal

Lehkonen-Evans-Wiese

Chiarot-Weber

Kulak-Petry 

Alzner-Folin

Price 

Lindgren

"Tank" you Marc Bergevin?

You want to tank look at today's lines in practice

Lehkonen - Danault - Alzner
Hudon - Suzuki - Armia
Byron - Domi - Weal
Vejdemo - Evans - Weise

Chiarot - Weber
Kulak - Petry
Ouellet - Folin

Price
Lindgren

Am I going insane or do I see Alzner playing Wing?

You want to tank look at today's lines in practice

Lehkonen - Danault - Alzner
Hudon - Suzuki - Armia
Byron - Domi - Weal
Vejdemo - Evans - Weise

Chiarot - Weber
Kulak - Petry
Ouellet - Folin

Price
Lindgren

6 minutes ago, mysideofthemirror said:

Pretty sure it was only for practice as Gally wasn't feeling well. 

7 minutes ago, mysideofthemirror said:

The two are not mutually exclusive... :4224:

5 minutes ago, maas_art said:

The two are not mutually exclusive... :4224:

I mean, I'd fit right in with Bergevin these days!!!

42 minutes ago, mysideofthemirror said:

I mean, I'd fit right in with Bergevin these days!!!

And Julien apparently.  Haha. I know, i know we dont have bodies so Alzner took Gallagher's place but honestly... our worst LD taking the spot of our best RW?  Thats some twilight zone ____ right there. Or at least a page out of the Therrien Blender... 

21 minutes ago, maas_art said:

And Julien apparently.  Haha. I know, i know we dont have bodies so Alzner took Gallagher's place but honestly... our worst LD taking the spot of our best RW?  Thats some twilight zone ____ right there. Or at least a page out of the Therrien Blender... 

Who says coaches don't tank! LOL I thought I misread it when I posted it

Here's a look at the forward lines and defense pairings featured at Monday's practice at the Bell Centre.

Byron - Danault - Armia
Hudon - Domi - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Suzuki - Weal
Vejdemo/Drouin - Evans - Weise

Chiarot - Weber
Kulak - Petry
Ouellet - Folin
Alzner

Price
Lindgren

So now Suzuki is saddled with third rate linemates lets see if we can screw up his development as well huh

2 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Here's a look at the forward lines and defense pairings featured at Monday's practice at the Bell Centre.

Byron - Danault - Armia
Hudon - Domi - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Suzuki - Weal
Vejdemo/Drouin - Evans - Weise

Chiarot - Weber
Kulak - Petry
Ouellet - Folin
Alzner

Price
Lindgren

So now Suzuki is saddled with third rate linemates lets see if we can screw up his development as well huh

Well it definitely hasn't been a fair shake to Domi lately either. That said players have to play with all sorts of different players through out the careers and especially when they are developing or are the new guy as Suzuki is. Just because a player may have to play with other players some may not 'rate" as high should by no means hurt their development. JK was sent down to Laval to help hi development and Laval is a lesser league with AHL players trying to make it. This idea that a player has to have top players to play with to develop I think is totally wrong. 

2 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

Well it definitely hasn't been a fair shake to Domi lately either. That said players have to play with all sorts of different players through out the careers and especially when they are developing or are the new guy as Suzuki is. Just because a player may have to play with other players some may not 'rate" as high should by no means hurt their development. JK was sent down to Laval to help hi development and Laval is a lesser league with AHL players trying to make it. This idea that a player has to have top players to play with to develop I think is totally wrong. 

I suppose it's not really a development thing so much as a preference for me to not play top 6 players in the bottom 6 just cause they are in a slump especially when the games don't mean anything. My preference would be to just let them work through the slump.

5 hours ago, campabee82 said:

The bottom 1/2 of  the team are third rate . Someone has to play with them