H_T_L

COMPLETED: Hurricanes officially match Aho offer sheet from Habs

253 posts in this topic

I hope they don't take the whole week to decide

Bergevin looked down into his pants today and realized he actually has a pair.

2 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

they will, thats just reality of an offer sheet... unless there is a trade possible but I'm not sure how that works 

I'm not really confident this goes through

1 minute ago, H_T_L said:

I'm not really confident this goes through

neither am I, I'm hoping there is a trade (if its possible)

8 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Bergevin looked down into his pants today and realized he actually has a pair.

And it only took 7 years to grow them. 

Just now, habsisme said:

neither am I, I'm hoping there is a trade (if its possible)

Not sure. I think it's a take it or leave it situation. Everything is in limbo until the Jerks make a call. Likely another reason we don't see a lot of offer sheets. Seven days is an eternity.

Just now, kinot-2 said:

And it only took 7 years to grow them. 

Wasn't a knock them dead offer,,,, so they're likely pretty tiny.:frech1:

Does anybody know if there's a rule that we can now negotiate a trade with Carolina instead?  

The deal, fwiw is 5 years, $42.27 so you would think Carolina would easily match that but they are cheap so...  compensation wont be bad at all if they dont.   

It was a very smart play for the rich habs though:  $21m at signing as a bonus.  Can Carolina cough up that much all at once?

15 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Apparently other teams are urging them to take the full week so MB won't be able to offer sheet anybody else in the meantime.

4 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Apparently other teams are urging them to take the full week so MB won't be able to offer sheet anybody else in the meantime.

It does tie our hands because you can't use the same picks to offer sheet somebody else.

11 minutes ago, maas_art said:

It was a very smart play for the rich habs though:  $21m at signing as a bonus.  Can Carolina cough up that much all at once?

According to tsn that's more money than they took in from the gates the last couple years.

They can trade him in a year but by then they will have paid him 21 mill in bonus money if they chose to match. Still not sure that's a big enough deterrent to take the picks. 

1 minute ago, H_T_L said:

They can trade him in a year but by then they will have paid him 21 mill in bonus money if they chose to match. Still not sure that's a big enough deterrent to take the picks. 

I'm thinking they will match but it depends on the owner. This is a real money issue not a cap issue

The Canes boards are going nuts. :4224:

lots of folks wanted an offer sheet. let's see how it plays out.

He did what he could do, still would be interested in Gardiner 

33 minutes ago, maas_art said:

EDIT: its $21m in the first calendar year, not all at once but still a lot.

It seems very odd.  All the analysts are certain Carolina will match but then why make the offer?  The team has to think they have a legit shot of Carolina not matching.

MB said he talked to their GM as recently as this morning.  This is going to be very interesting to watch play out. 

Just now, habsisme said:

He did what he could do, still would be interested in Gardiner 

Me too although if you add Aho for nothing more than picks then you could conceivably trade a forward & get a better (and cheaper) option than Gardiner. 

3 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

lots of folks wanted an offer sheet. let's see how it plays out.

I wanted a serious one if we were going that route. Not sure this qualifies as serious. I think it's an easy match personally. We had the room the picks and the money to beef that offer up.  Let's hope there's still meat on the bone in seven days to chew on.

reading the Carolina boards, there is a sense Aho doesn't want to be there "will not be face of franchise" 

They make a good point, and MB stressed it in his interview "Aho wants to be here" 

*fingers crossed*

From the Canes boards:

0dd86-theskyisfalling.jpg

Just now, habsisme said:

reading the Carolina boards, there is a sense Aho doesn't want to be there "will not be face of franchise" 

They make a good point, and MB stressed it in his interview "Aho wants to be here" 

*fingers crossed*

They can't trade him for a year after which a big chunk will already have been paid. 

3 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

They can't trade him for a year after which a big chunk will already have been paid. 

yes exactly, and its a black eye to re-sign someone who wanted to leave your team

16 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I wanted a serious one if we were going that route. Not sure this qualifies as serious. I think it's an easy match personally. We had the room the picks and the money to beef that offer up.  Let's hope there's still meat on the bone in seven days to chew on.

oh i think it is a serious money offer! i don't think that team or owner can match the bonus! if that is true we will have stolen that player!