Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
H_T_L

COMPLETED: Hurricanes officially match Aho offer sheet from Habs

253 posts in this topic

Even though deep down I knew they'd match,  I thought there was a chance their owner was tight fisted enough to not do it.   Oh well, maybe MB will offer sheet Laine or Marner next and we can get some more excitement

I'm disappointed but at the same time thankful the Canes didn't drag this out the full 7 days ( ridiculous rule BTW).  After making all this cap space i would hope MB has something else up his sleeve. What i don't want to see, is him overpaying Gardiner on some ludicrous long term deal. The guy is a second pairing flawed D-man with a wonky back.

I still haven't heard/read anything official yet.

5 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

I honestly think MB goes after either Gardiner or Ben Hutton.

For what i suspect Gardiner wants,,,,i'd take Hutton. Not a huge upgrade but at least it shouldn't be something ridiculous

5 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I'm disappointed but at the same time thankful the Canes didn't drag this out the full 7 days ( ridiculous rule BTW).  After making all this cap space i would hope MB has something else up his sleeve. What i don't want to see, is him overpaying Gardiner on some ludicrous long term deal. The guy is a second pairing flawed D-man with a wonky back.

"within the timeframe allowed by the League's Collective Bargaining Agreement." Is what he's quoted as saying, so they'll probably wait a few days. 

Either way I'm glad MB did it, worst case is Aho becomes a UFA in 5 years thanks to us

Edit: I quoted the wrong person; sorry..

Edited by booboo_mtl

4 minutes ago, booboo_mtl said:

"within the timeframe allowed by the League's Collective Bargaining Agreement." Is what he's quoted as saying, so they'll probably wait a few days. 

Either way I'm glad MB did it, worst case is Aho becomes a UFA in 5 years thanks to us

Edit: I quoted the wrong person; sorry..

I understand that, but it now frees MB to go forward knowing the Canes will officially match

12 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I understand that, but it now frees MB to go forward knowing the Canes will officially match

Now, will he OS anyone else? 

4 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

The Leafs have freed enough room now to match any offer, by dumping Kadri. Possible target could be the Jets but i doubt he takes a second shot at it. If it was me,,,,i'd offer sheet Marner at 12mill X 7 years and really piss off the Leafs

1 minute ago, kinot-2 said:

the only person who would make some sense is Point. But I think he likes the tax situation so he might not sign any offer sheet

the other teams have the money and cap space to do it

24 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

The Leafs have freed enough room now to match any offer, by dumping Kadri. Possible target could be the Jets but i doubt he takes a second shot at it. If it was me,,,,i'd offer sheet Marner at 12mill X 7 years and really piss off the Leafs

You'd go $12 million for five years if you REALLY wanted to annoy them. :lol:

1 minute ago, jennifer_rocket said:

You'd go $12 million for five years if you REALLY wanted to annoy them. :lol:

I honestly would have gone to 10 million but I love AHO. Of all the UFAs and RFAs I think he's the best player

1 minute ago, habsisme said:

I honestly would have gone to 10 million but I love AHO. Of all the UFAs and RFAs I think he's the best player

He's certainly an exceptional young talent. I would've loved to have acquired him. C'est la vie.

Now let's see if Bergevin has any sort of plan or if a RFA offer sheet was all he had.

48 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

I highly doubt it.  Carolina was in the absolute worst position to match so they took their shot. I imagine now it goes back to the trade route.

Really would love to know what the trade offer was for Aho (apparently Montreal/Carolina did discuss it).  Im sure they would have demanded JK, Poehling or Suzuki as part of the return with a young roster player (Domi or Drouin) and a pick. 

43 minutes ago, habsisme said:

the only person who would make some sense is Point. But I think he likes the tax situation so he might not sign any offer sheet

the other teams have the money and cap space to do it

Werenski. I would go hard after Werenski. I liked the idea of Aho, but we really don’t need any help down the middle. We do however, need a legit partner for Webber. Werenski fits that bill perfectly. I’m sure they’ll match, but I would up the offer to it’s reasonable max. Other than that, I’m not sure any other offer sheets would be worth their trouble 

We can't turn around and immediately offer sheet someone else until Carolina officially agrees to match. Those picks are still tied up until then. MB took what HE thought was his best shot,,, likely knowing it could put him in limbo for a week. I don't see him following that up with potentially another week of waiting. We're either going to settle and overpay for what i believe is a mediocre UFA acquisition, or as others suspect,,,, try to swing a trade.

Reading the articles ... Canes are punishing us now.  "Intend to" ... they know full well that ties MB's hands from making another OS to another RFA because all Canes have to do is at hour zero say "oh we can't match" .   If we did make another OS and lets say that team says we will not match, there's the chance our picks are tied up between two offer sheets ... one of them get nullified, most likely the Aho one if the other OS is signed and done right away.    That lets Canes off the hook to go back and negotiate on their terms.

At least thats my interpretation of the CBA

11 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

Craig Button calls MB's offer sheet on Aho laughable.

Lol Craig Button is laughable. Listening to him is like taking hockey analysis from Ross from the show Friends :P

9 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

Craig Button calls MB's offer sheet on Aho laughable.

I believed it had a very low chance (almost nil) of succeeding. Everything hinged on the owner not being able to come up with the upfront money to match. Money problems or not, i can't see how someone who owns a half billion dollar NHL franchise can't scrape together the money,,,, even if it means leveraging, using the franchise as equity. That's the part that makes it laughable

8 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Lol Craig Button is laughable. Listening to him is like taking hockey analysis from Ross from the show Friends :P

he always has the worst analysis

we lost nothing by trying

When you actually think about it,,,, without the upfront money (21 million) payable in a 12 month period,,, they still would have had to pay him 8.5 this year and 8.5 next which totals 17 million over 24 months. The gap from 21 to 17 is not that huge in NHL terms and it's only 12 months later. No biggie in my mind.

4 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I believed it had a very low chance (almost nil) of succeeding. Everything hinged on the owner not being able to come up with the upfront money to match. Money problems or not, i can't see how someone who owns a half billion dollar NHL franchise can't scrape together the money,,,, even if it means leveraging, using the franchise as equity. That's the part that makes it laughable

Oh I wasn’t defending the offer, just making fun of Craig Button

Just now, habsisme said:

he always has the worst analysis

we lost nothing by trying

Agreed and agreed.  I'm not saying it was wrong to try,,, i just think it was a weak attempt.