Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
H_T_L

COMPLETED: Hurricanes officially match Aho offer sheet from Habs

253 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Werenski. I would go hard after Werenski. I liked the idea of Aho, but we really don’t need any help down the middle. We do however, need a legit partner for Webber. Werenski fits that bill perfectly. I’m sure they’ll match, but I would up the offer to it’s reasonable max. Other than that, I’m not sure any other offer sheets would be worth their trouble 

I agree he's the absolute key. But I just cant see Columbus not being able to match. They have sooooo much cash and need bodies.   I also dont think MB will try another OS. 

Does make you wonder if there's a potential trade there.  We know MB would consider giving up the 3 draft picks.  Woudl he consider some roster players? Wish we still had Shaw. 

What about Drouin, Juulsen, 1st & 2nd (or prospect) ?  Columbus loses 1 player but gains two - one of them being a talented offensive forward (having just lose several of those). 

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

We can't turn around and immediately offer sheet someone else until Carolina officially agrees to match. Those picks are still tied up until then. MB took what HE thought was his best shot,,, likely knowing it could put him in limbo for a week. I don't see him following that up with potentially another week of waiting. We're either going to settle and overpay for what i believe is a mediocre UFA acquisition, or as others suspect,,,, try to swing a trade.

Agreed. Those picks are in limbo for now. I dont think MB would try another one - i think he tried what he & his team thought was the best shot. 

23 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

Craig Button calls MB's offer sheet on Aho laughable.

Haha. If anyone would know Laughable its Button. He's an absolute idiot. 

Dreams die hard. But sigh, what else is new. This jackpot tries to pull strings he should have pulled from day one and now is doing so to save his job. Once a decade would be nice to have a contending team.

Edited by habby67

15 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I agree he's the absolute key. But I just cant see Columbus not being able to match. They have sooooo much cash and need bodies.   I also dont think MB will try another OS. 

Does make you wonder if there's a potential trade there.  We know MB would consider giving up the 3 draft picks.  Woudl he consider some roster players? Wish we still had Shaw. 

What about Drouin, Juulsen, 1st & 2nd (or prospect) ?  Columbus loses 1 player but gains two - one of them being a talented offensive forward (having just lose several of those). 

Might be worth a shot. I doubt it, only because Werenski is just as big a piece to their puzzle as he would be for us. But I also agree, I’d be surprised if the didn’t match whatever offer we threw out there. It would have to be one heck of an offer for them not too. What would an unmatchable offer look like, I wonder? 10 million x 5? What sort of compensation would that garner?

16 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Might be worth a shot. I doubt it, only because Werenski is just as big a piece to their puzzle as he would be for us. But I also agree, I’d be surprised if the didn’t match whatever offer we threw out there. It would have to be one heck of an offer for them not too. What would an unmatchable offer look like, I wonder? 10 million x 5? What sort of compensation would that garner?

2 firsts, a second and a third

There's just no way, after losing Panarin and Duchene and possibly Dzingel that they would want to lose Werenski, they just can't 

6 minutes ago, habsisme said:

There's just no way, after losing Panarin and Duchene and possibly Dzingel that they would want to lose Werenski, they just can't 

Agreed. Sadly.

On a separate note, there should be some kind of mechanism put in place to nullify the tax difference between locations. We’ve definitely been burned by this on numerous occasions as of late, and I’m sure that it happens with other teams as well. 

1 hour ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

53 minutes ago, habsisme said:

Yeah, i dont think any combination of picks (even if the offer is over $10.5 & comes with 4 first rounders) would be enough for columbus - they need bodies.  

Having said that, you probably could entice them with depth because they are missing so much. 

Drouin + Lehkonen + Juulsen (or Petry) +  pick might do it.    Gives them 3 very capable players for at the expense of one.  Werenski is obviously the best player in the deal but this team needs some quality bodies.   I dont think moving those 3 would be a great move for us though, but just giving an idea of what i think it would take to do the deal. 

Conversely, if you're willing to give up one of our big 3 (JK, Poehling, Suzuki)plus a roster player like Drouin & pick, that might do it too.   Really depends on how much trouble they are having signing him. 

49 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Hurricanes say Canadiens got played by Sebastian Aho's agent

"I think the other team got manipulated into believing some things that might not have been true," Hurricanes owner says.

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/hurricanes-say-canadiens-got-played-by-sebastian-ahos-agent

That makes him out to be the good guy. Aho did sign the offer sheet, so no matter what happens, Aho gets what he wants. MB can come out and say that "We tried to go big", (or something like that), so he saves face with the fans. Methinks it will all come out in the wash. 

10 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Hurricanes say Canadiens got played by Sebastian Aho's agent

"I think the other team got manipulated into believing some things that might not have been true," Hurricanes owner says.

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/hurricanes-say-canadiens-got-played-by-sebastian-ahos-agent

Blaming the agent seems to be the easiest thing to do. 

6 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Blaming the agent seems to be the easiest thing to do. 

Yup, fact is the guy they're now calling their franchise player signed with another team, indicating he was willing to leave. This wouldn't have happened had they accepted his ask and didn't try to low-ball him in the first place. I wonder who exactly got played by his agent? We didn't lose anything, while their star player will hit unrestricted free agency in 5 years and now has a very nice deal that'll take him through his RFA years.

17 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Yup, fact is the guy they're now calling their franchise player signed with another team, indicating he was willing to leave. This wouldn't have happened had they accepted his ask and didn't try to low-ball him in the first place. I wonder who exactly got played by his agent? We didn't lose anything, while their star player will hit unrestricted free agency in 5 years and now has a very nice deal that'll take him through his RFA years.

Yeah,,,, just sour grapes looking to save face in front of their fans. No biggie. We may have been used but saying we were played is a stretch. More likely they were claiming poverty with Aho's agent and left him with that impression,,, which he related. 

15 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Exactly. As much as Dundon might wanna seem really pleased with the outcome (and Carolina's GM saying "now I don't have to spend the summer negotiating a contract"), the fact remains... Aho and Teravainen are both UFAs in 2024-25. Have fun dealing with that Carolina.

18 hours ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Lol Craig Button is laughable. Listening to him is like taking hockey analysis from Ross from the show Friends :P

I remember when MB first traded Weber for Subban, Button basically called Weber a beer league caliber defense-man.  The biased  rage based tyrant was awful at best.  BTW he had us taking Lavoie at 15 for the longest time.  Thankfully we went Caufield.

Ken Warren of The Ottawa Citizen writes that "speculation is" the Canadiens could circle back and work on an offer sheet for Tampa Bay Lightning centre Brayden Point. TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun reported Monday that the Canadiens first discussed an offer sheet scenario involving Point before opting to pursue Aho, believing they would have a better chance against the Hurricanes. 

Point, who led all restricted free agents with 41 goals this past season and posted 92 points in 79 games, is also represented by Aho's agent, Gerry Johansson.

To tender an offer sheet Point, the Canadiens would either have to sign him to a deal with an average annual value above $10.56 million, or wait until the Hurricanes officially match Aho's offer sheet, freeing their 2020 draft picks. The Hurricanes have until Monday to register Aho's contract.

According to CapFriendly, the Canadiens have $11.8 million in cap space with restricted free agents Artturi Lehkonen, Charles Hudon and Joel Armia in need of new contracts.

1 hour ago, ChiLla said:

This is exactly right

25 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Ken Warren of The Ottawa Citizen writes that "speculation is" the Canadiens could circle back and work on an offer sheet for Tampa Bay Lightning centre Brayden Point. TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun reported Monday that the Canadiens first discussed an offer sheet scenario involving Point before opting to pursue Aho, believing they would have a better chance against the Hurricanes. 

Point, who led all restricted free agents with 41 goals this past season and posted 92 points in 79 games, is also represented by Aho's agent, Gerry Johansson.

To tender an offer sheet Point, the Canadiens would either have to sign him to a deal with an average annual value above $10.56 million, or wait until the Hurricanes officially match Aho's offer sheet, freeing their 2020 draft picks. The Hurricanes have until Monday to register Aho's contract.

According to CapFriendly, the Canadiens have $11.8 million in cap space with restricted free agents Artturi Lehkonen, Charles Hudon and Joel Armia in need of new contracts.

Im not quite as excited for point. But it is a move we can make with a reasonable chance of success. 

The thing is 10.5 her is what in Florida? The player would have to do it out of principle

18 hours ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Lol Craig Button is laughable. Listening to him is like taking hockey analysis from Ross from the show Friends :P

hey thats not fair.

i like ross :P

29 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

i personally dont see it.  i think it was a "one and done" try by bergevin. I think he tried the offer sheet with the most chance of working - i dont think he'll try another (this year at least).

We shall see but my guess is that he goes the trade route now.  Its entirely possible he uses the offer sheet threat to try and work a team on a trade, but I dont think he's actually going to tender another one.  The other thing is that the player offered the contract has to agree to it. There's speculation a number of offer sheets have been presented over the years but not signed because the player in question doesnt want to 'rock the boat' with the team /teammates they almost certainly are going to be staying with. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

i personally dont see it.  i think it was a "one and done" try by bergevin. I think he tried the offer sheet with the most chance of working - i dont think he'll try another (this year at least).

We shall see but my guess is that he goes the trade route now.  Its entirely possible he uses the offer sheet threat to try and work a team on a trade, but I dont think he's actually going to tender another one.  The other thing is that the player offered the contract has to agree to it. There's speculation a number of offer sheets have been presented over the years but not signed because the player in question doesnt want to 'rock the boat' with the team /teammates they almost certainly are going to be staying with. 

I'm indifferent over using another offer sheet or finding a trading partner. If, as suggested, Bergevin is interested in Point, I am okay with him using another offer sheet when he's able to. I don't care what other GMs think. They'll continue to work with us if trades are in everyone's interest.

Heck, I'm okay if he continues to try to work a trade for Aho or Point. Call Carolina back and make an offer. Make an offer to Tampa. Try it all.

1 minute ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I'm indifferent over using another offer sheet or finding a trading partner. If, as suggested, Bergevin is interested in Point, I am okay with him using another offer sheet when he's able to. I don't care what other GMs think. They'll continue to work with us if trades are in everyone's interest.

Heck, I'm okay if he continues to try to work a trade for Aho or Point. Call Carolina back and make an offer. Make an offer to Tampa. Try it all.

once its officially matched they can't trade Aho for a year

Yes, I wouldn't mind going after point and second to that Gardiner. The fact that he hasn't been signed could mean a reasonable contract. I don't mind giving him term if the AAV is ~6 million. He's only 28 and D man, term does not scare me

7 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I agree that if there's a fit there's no reason not to make another offer sheet but i dont think MB will do one. He's too calculating. The one he put out there, imho was the only one he'd consider: his best option.

You cant trade for Aho for one calendar year im afraid.  And i would be *shocked* if he went anywhere in the next 4-5 years.  If the owner is as cheap as rumoured, no way he pays $21m in cold hard cash for his first season and then trades him when he's going to have a cap hit of $8m+ but only be owned roughly $5m a year for the remaining 4. 

3 minutes ago, habsisme said:

once its officially matched they can't trade Aho for a year

Yes, I wouldn't mind going after point and second to that Gardiner. The fact that he hasn't been signed could mean a reasonable contract. I don't mind giving him term if the AAV is ~6 million. He's only 28 and D man, term does not scare me

I would almost be surprised if MB hasnt put an offer to Gardiner.  We know he's a fan of the "take it or leave it" deal so i wouldnt be shocked at all to lear we gave him an offer & he's waiting to see if he gets anything better. 

2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

I like Tkachuk in Calgary or Vrana in Washington who need to sign Holtby and Backstrom nest year . Calgary does not have a lot of cap space and have a few signings including quite a few UFA d-men that need to get paid next year. If nothing else we could offer the same as for Aho and I think a 1st, 2nd and 3rd are worth either player.

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

hey thats not fair.

i like ross :P

Ahha probably the best part about the show!

3 minutes ago, Habberwacky said:

I like Tkachuk in Calgary or Vrana in Washington who need to sign Holtby and Backstrom nest year . Calgary does not have a lot of cap space and have a few signings including quite a few UFA d-men that need to get paid next year. If nothing else we could offer the same as for Aho and I think a 1st, 2nd and 3rd are worth either player.

I just dont see any team walking away from a player of any quality for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd.   

One thing that the offer sheet did is put people with RFAs on guard.   If you have a top quality RFA and Marc Bergevin calls you up asking if you'd consider trading him, you have to figure that he might be considering an offer sheet on that player.   Sure, you may match, like Carolina did, but are you going to end up with a deal you want?  Its clear the Hurricanes would have liked an 8 year deal and not so front-loaded. They got stuck with the deal we signed Aho too... does another team want to be handcuffed by MB's deal?  

So i think there's some value to his position right now, although i think he'll use that as leverage in a trade, not to sign another OS. Call up Columbus please MB!