Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
H_T_L

Habs sign Ben Chiarot

91 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

I'll wait and see him play a few games before I make up my mind. 

Well.........according to this video, it is sure missing on this team before this acquisition. Too much standing around and yapping and not protecting our goalies. A welcome change.

46 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Because he's probably chasing the play most of the time. Or because Winnipeg didn't have the puck when he was on the ice. These types of defenders are a dime a dozen in today's game. I don't know why we had to go and acquire one for three years. At least MB didn't give him a NTC this time.

Sadly, i think that is the case. He's a defensive dman for sure. Maybe he'll pair well with Petry but neither Alzner nor Benn did so im not so sure. 

He does have a partial NTC.  He can submit a list of 10 "no trade" teams. 

54 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Because he's probably chasing the play most of the time. Or because Winnipeg didn't have the puck when he was on the ice. These types of defenders are a dime a dozen in today's game. I don't know why we had to go and acquire one for three years. At least MB didn't give him a NTC this time.

Trouba had 112, hits and 171 BLKS. was he chasing the play too? :P

Haven't seen a lot of Chiarot, so maybe he'll surprise me, but my first impression is that this is an underwhelming signing. We have plenty of guys who can play the 2nd and 3rd pairing already and we need a 1st pairing guy who can move the puck, so the Chiarot signing doesn't address an actual need here. Down the left side, I'd probably put him behind Mete and Kulak, the latter of whom played well with Petry last season. Maybe Chiarot can also play well with Petry, but I don't see this as an upgrade, and he's pretty expensive for a defensive defenceman. I question what he's going to do that Benn, Kulak, Reilly, and Mete weren't doing last year.

At the end of the day, we still need a first-pairing guy. I don't think Kulak has much trade value, and if you trade Mete as part of a package for a 1st-pairing guy then you still have Chiarot and Kulak down the left side, and those two guys don't add much offence, so there's some dead weight there. Ultimately, you'd probably have to add a 1st-pairing guy to the mix, which then leaves you with Mete as your 2nd-pairing LHD and Kulak and Chiarot somewhat redundant battling for the 3rd slot.

IMO, Chiarot is a passable 3rd pairing option, but that's not at all what we needed. This is to me, a waste of 3.5M when we had bigger needs... re-signing Armia and Lehkonen, finding a 1st-pairing LHD, and getting a scorer who can help the PP. Now we have all those needs still there and 3.5M less to make it happen. Bad signing.

So, now we have a Chiarrot of Fire.                                :ph34r:

Almost seems like a desperation signing. Would agree we have enough of these d-men already. 

Hopefully MB has a bigger trick up his sleeve. So far I am very disappointed, other teams got a lot better, and addressed the problems they had. 

Montreal is standing still.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

At the end of the day, we still need a first-pairing guy. I don't think Kulak has much trade value, and if you trade Mete as part of a package for a 1st-pairing guy then you still have Chiarot and Kulak down the left side, and those two guys don't add much offence, so there's some dead weight there. Ultimately, you'd probably have to add a 1st-pairing guy to the mix, which then leaves you with Mete as your 2nd-pairing LHD and Kulak and Chiarot somewhat redundant battling for the 3rd slot.

I wonder if this is the plan.   Right now you have like 5-6 guys who could all be competent #2 or 3rd paring guys. You have no one who is a 1st pairing D.  Maybe there's a deal that MB has been working on where the hold up is that they want Mete as part of the return package.  If its a young D then than makes some sense.  I wouldnt want to lose Mete for nothing but if the return was Ghost, Klefbom, or better still Werenski?  Sign me up. 

Right now, like you, im underwhelmed with this signing. But lets see what happens in the next week or so.  Wouldnt be surprised at all if this was a precursor to a trade. If we could somehow fanagle Werenski for say Drouin + Mete, then your d corps looks like this:

Werenski - Weber
Kulak - Petry
Chiarot - Juulsen
Reilly - Folin

Which is actually not too bad at all, even though I really dont want to lose Mete.   

19 minutes ago, tony5775 said:

Almost seems like a desperation signing. Would agree we have enough of these d-men already. 

Hopefully MB has a bigger trick up his sleeve. So far I am very disappointed, other teams got a lot better, and addressed the problems they had. 

Montreal is standing still.

I don't understand why everyone is so surprised MB is doing nothing he said leading into the trade deadline players were to expensive to acquire at that time of year. Then he said at the end of the season players are too expensive to get on July 1st. He doesn't know how to acquire guys with skill at a decent price and the only way he has drafted so well is cause Timmins tells him who to take.

5 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I wonder if this is the plan.   Right now you have like 5-6 guys who could all be competent #2 or 3rd paring guys. You have no one who is a 1st pairing D.  Maybe there's a deal that MB has been working on where the hold up is that they want Mete as part of the return package.  If its a young D then than makes some sense.  I wouldnt want to lose Mete for nothing but if the return was Ghost, Klefbom, or better still Werenski?  Sign me up. 

Right now, like you, im underwhelmed with this signing. But lets see what happens in the next week or so.  Wouldnt be surprised at all if this was a precursor to a trade. If we could somehow fanagle Werenski for say Drouin + Mete, then your d corps looks like this:

Werenski - Weber
Kulak - Petry
Chiarot - Juulsen
Reilly - Folin

Which is actually not too bad at all, even though I really dont want to lose Mete.   

Except during the presser MB said Chose it is capable of playing 20+ minutes a night that to me sounds like he wants him in the top 4.

15 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Except during the presser MB said Chose it is capable of playing 20+ minutes a night that to me sounds like he wants him in the top 4.

Well, he said "capable" not expected.  In Winnipeg he was playing roughly that amount.  A 3rd pairing guy who plays PK (which he does) could easily be in the 18-20 mins a game category.

Anyway, im not saying there will be a trade, im just saying thats pretty near the only scenario where this makes sense to me. If hes simply a depth signing its a pretty expensive one. Why not add some of that $3.5m to the $8.5m you offered Aho and see if Carolina was so quick to match? 

went to you tube and punched in his name and skating. there is an interesting vid of him at a pre camp conditioning camp. he seems to be a good skater he looked pretty good to me. there are also a bunch of vids in which he fights not to sure about that part of his game but he seems to have some good skills.

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

went to you tube and punched in his name and skating. there is an interesting vid of him at a pre camp conditioning camp. he seems to be a good skater he looked pretty good to me. there are also a bunch of vids in which he fights not to sure about that part of his game but he seems to have some good skills.

Interestingly it sounds like he turned down a 4 year deal from the jets to sign our 3 year deal.   Im assuming our money was higher but he did say that the bell centre was his favourite place in the league to play.

In interviews today he's mentioned Jeff Petry a couple of times.  Almost makes it seem like thats where they told him they plan to play him....

6 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Interestingly it sounds like he turned down a 4 year deal from the jets to sign our 3 year deal.   Im assuming our money was higher but he did say that the bell centre was his favourite place in the league to play.

In interviews today he's mentioned Jeff Petry a couple of times.  Almost makes it seem like thats where they told him they plan to play him....

I am wondering if MB got him cause he has been working with Wadell on a trade to allow Aho to leave. Maybe Mete or Kulak + Drouin or Danault + a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Probably not but anything is possible

Edited by campabee82

8 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I am wondering if MB got him cause he has been working with Wadell on a trade to allow Aho to leave. Maybe Mete or Kulak + Drouin or Danault + a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Probably not but anything is possible

I feel like its reaaaally unlikely Aho goes (since they suddenly flooded their marketing with Aho stuff right after announcing they would match) but I do have this sense that someone is getting traded - in, most likely, an unrelated move.   Heres our depth right now going into the season:

Right D:

Weber
Petry
Juulsen
Folin
Brook
Fleury

Left D:
Reilly
Leskinen
Olofsson
Ouellet
Alzner
Sklenicka

Thats a whole lotta d.  Some of them (Ouellet, Alzner, Sklenicka) are Laval bound most likely and some (Brook, Fleury) are still developing but we've got at least 5-6 LD that will all want/expect playing time.  Leskinen may be NHL ready. Olofsson, if he stays healthy, may be the best LD on our roster.  There's just so many question marks & we are likely to lose assets on waivers if we keep everyone.

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Yeah, he actually said that he had a talk with Julien, and Julien told him the plan for now was to play him with Petry. Chiarot also mentioned, however, that things could obviously still change, but it sounds like the Habs envision Mete-Weber, Chiarot-Petry... ironically, I think they told Karl Alzner the same thing when they signed him.

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

Heres our depth right now going into the season:

Right D:

Weber
Petry
Juulsen
Folin

Left D:
Reilly

Thats a whole lotta d.

Unless someone stands out during  training camp that'll probably be the starting D . Who knows if Juulsen is ready and Reilly fell out of their good book

Edited by Regis22

16 hours ago, maas_art said:

Sadly, i think that is the case. He's a defensive dman for sure. Maybe he'll pair well with Petry but neither Alzner nor Benn did so im not so sure. 

He does have a partial NTC.  He can submit a list of 10 "no trade" teams. 

Oh dear God. Marc Bergevin with another dumb contract. Why oh why would you bother giving NTCs to bottom pairing defenders? First Alzner and now Chiarot.

16 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Trouba had 112, hits and 171 BLKS. was he chasing the play too? :P

No. Trouba's Corsi and Fenwick numbers are decent. Chiarot's are terrible.

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Oh dear God. Marc Bergevin with another dumb contract. Why oh why would you bother giving NTCs to bottom pairing defenders? First Alzner and now Chiarot.

By the sound of things Winnipeg really wanted him back.  4 years @$3m   So i guess the only way we could get him was $500k a year more + a partial NTC.  At least we didnt have to match term.

Im not sure Im ready to call him a bottom pair guy, i think there's a chance he's a #4 but thats probably it. Which is fine if Weber & Petry are 1 & 3... but who is #2??  That was, is and will likely still be the problem come training camp.  Even if Chiarot ends up being awesome next to Petry you will have:

Mete - Weber
Chairot - Petry
Kulak - Juulsen/Folin

So Mete is our defacto #1 and I still am not sold on him being there.  Love the kid but if you had a true #1LD then you'd have a heck of a better lineup. 

12 minutes ago, maas_art said:

By the sound of things Winnipeg really wanted him back.  4 years @$3m   So i guess the only way we could get him was $500k a year more + a partial NTC.  At least we didnt have to match term.

Im not sure Im ready to call him a bottom pair guy, i think there's a chance he's a #4 but thats probably it. Which is fine if Weber & Petry are 1 & 3... but who is #2??  That was, is and will likely still be the problem come training camp.  Even if Chiarot ends up being awesome next to Petry you will have:

Mete - Weber
Chairot - Petry
Kulak - Juulsen/Folin

So Mete is our defacto #1 and I still am not sold on him being there.  Love the kid but if you had a true #1LD then you'd have a heck of a better lineup. 

I feel like a lot of others here my gut says this is our lineup but I also have a feeling like something big may be in the works sending out either Mete or Kulak + for help. Of the 2 Mete would get the most return and makes the least sense on the 3rd pairing unless we push Chiarot back which also makes no sense paying that much for a 3rd pairing guy.

Really unhappy with this. Not an upgrade on Benn, and If he's in the top 4 it sucks because he's a huge downgrade on Kulak, if he's on the bottom pair it's too much money and term for a depth guy. 

Alzner 2.0 but at least they didn't go 5 years this team. Don't know why they didn't just offer this money to Benn for 2 years if the plan was Chiarot since Benn is better anyway. 

Though this would not have been my first choice I'm willing to take a wait and see before a determination can be made regarding whether or not Chariot is a complimentary piece that makes sense. I've read pros and cons as well as speculation from differing sides... time will tell

2 hours ago, Noob616 said:

Really unhappy with this. Not an upgrade on Benn, and If he's in the top 4 it sucks because he's a huge downgrade on Kulak, if he's on the bottom pair it's too much money and term for a depth guy. 

Alzner 2.0 but at least they didn't go 5 years this team. Don't know why they didn't just offer this money to Benn for 2 years if the plan was Chiarot since Benn is better anyway. 

It sounds like Benn wanted to go to Vancouver, albeit who knows if more money would have convinced him to stay. I pretty much agree with everything you wrote here. The one thing I will say, though, is that if MB sees Chiarot as a replacement for Benn (since he was trying to sign Benn before this), then he hopefully/probably doesn't see Chiarot as the fix to his top 4. It's a bit concerning that CJ told Chiarot he would likely get a shot next to Petry, though, because like you, I think Kulak is probably the better option and we know he already did fairly well next to Petry. Petry has struggled every time he's been paired with a slow non-puck mover like Alzner or Benn or so on, so not sure why Chiarot would be any different, and Chiarot's hero chart is remarkably similar to Alzner's.

Like I said, the one saving grace is that I think MB knows he still needs to address his LHD problem some way else. The problem is that if MB trades for a Ghost/Leddy/Klefbom or so on, then it makes Chiarot a 6-7 D man, which makes his salary quite exorbitant.

12 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Like I said, the one saving grace is that I think MB knows he still needs to address his LHD problem some way else. The problem is that if MB trades for a Ghost/Leddy/Klefbom or so on, then it makes Chiarot a 6-7 D man, which makes his salary quite exorbitant.

Unless Mete or Kulak is part of what is going the other way.  

There's seriously got to be something going on. I mean why sign Chiarot when you already have Kulak, you already have Mete, you resigned Reilly, you have Oloffson, you signed Leskinen and have several guys in the minors who can probably step in on the 3rd pair.   Its just weird.  Easily 6 or 7 guys fighting for 2 spots but none of them qualified for top pairing.