Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
H_T_L

Habs sign Ben Chiarot

91 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, claremont said:

+1 for being ok with this signing - imo better than resigning Benn, gives us some toughness around Price, and a solid #4-5  defenseman- not sure there was much else out there that would be the silver bullet without giving up prospects via trade and Gardner while fluid in skating wouldn’t push this team over the top 

Easier to trade contracts of lower value and term than having to retain salary like the high priced Kessel deals too.

Surprising no one has mentioned Romanow in this thread as even Poehling called him the real deal from junior tournament competition - assuming they can pry him away from the khl year after next, he should be the up and coming #1-2 LHD if his success at the world juniors is a indicator 

I think the problem is, success at the World Juniors is not an indicator of becoming a successful 1-2 D in the NHL.

I still think this signing is bad, and the underlying stats I looked at support that (corsi, fenwick). I would rather have overpaid for Jake Gardiner.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Since it's just our opinions, then I will offer mine. IMO, he's a Weber <2, not as big, not a really hard shot, but, he hits, and blocks shots, and he stands up for his teammates, annnnnnd , he will want to endear himself to the Habs fanbase. IMO, he's 28 and will be looking for long term for his next contract.

I agree I think it will turn out to be a good signing

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, habsisme said:

Looks better than I thought. Seems to have some mobility, he doesn't appear to be a pylon (the way he handled puck at blue line). How is his passing and skating? If he's even average, he's a good pick up

Having another shot will help our power play, it will be harder to cover both points 

His skating is above average not to the level of say Petry or Mete but more along the lines of Kulak solid and smooth. his passing is about average but he more than makes up for that with his ability to make the safe plays to get out of the zone. His shot isn't a Weber 101 mph but at 97.9 mph I would say he can shoot. All we need from him is to be solid defensively and get the pucks to the skilled players that will allow Petry to use his speed and skill to join the rush more often kind of a Weber 2.0 but with more mobility and a marginally softer shot.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I think the problem is, success at the World Juniors is not an indicator of becoming a successful 1-2 D in the NHL.

I still think this signing is bad, and the underlying stats I looked at support that (corsi, fenwick). I would rather have overpaid for Jake Gardiner.

I am squarely in the middle in that I think he's a lot better than the stats indicate but I dont think he's the right fit for this team. So in a vacuum the deal is fine and fair (less term than winnipeg offered him even) but for this team it doesnt make a lot of sense.   I would have rather traded for an older band-aid solution instead of signing another #4-6 dman tbh.   

So while i feel he will be a totally useable dman, I think he is not what we needed.  But, as ive said a few times, perhaps there's a trade in the works that includes a guy like Mete or Kulak to get us that true #1 and then this signing makes more sense. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

His skating is above average not to the level of say Petry or Mete but more along the lines of Kulak solid and smooth. his passing is about average but he more than makes up for that with his ability to make the safe plays to get out of the zone. His shot isn't a Weber 101 mph but at 97.9 mph I would say he can shoot. All we need from him is to be solid defensively and get the pucks to the skilled players that will allow Petry to use his speed and skill to join the rush more often kind of a Weber 2.0 but with more mobility and a marginally softer shot.

The real key with any sort of "defensive" defensman is positioning.  Weber is elite positionally - he reads plays very well and understands where he needs to be. When he messes that up, he's in big trouble - unlike say, Mete, who can get to where he should be if he read the play wrong.

I have not watched Chiarot enough to have an opinion on his positioning but Im certainly willing to watch him with an open mind.  That will be the key to his success here imho. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, maas_art said:

The real key with any sort of "defensive" defensman is positioning.  Weber is elite positionally - he reads plays very well and understands where he needs to be. When he messes that up, he's in big trouble - unlike say, Mete, who can get to where he should be if he read the play wrong.

I have not watched Chiarot enough to have an opinion on his positioning but Im certainly willing to watch him with an open mind.  That will be the key to his success here imho. 

I have seen him play, he is good no superstar for sure but he looks a fair bit better than Benn defenesivly to me. i see him on the third pairing with moments on other pairings if we need to mix things up due to matchups.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 11/07/2019 at 8:05 PM, campabee82 said:

I think you will find that Chiarot was not brought in to improve the Left side but was brought in to allow for Petry to contribute more offense now every pairing has both an offensive and defensive dman

Mete Offensive Weber Defensive

Chiarot Defensive Petry 2 Way

Kulak Offensive Folin/Juulsen Defensive

We won't have a true #1 but our Defense will be much more balanced which with Price and Kinkade in net should be able to win us a lot more games. Provided we can keep up the 5 on 5 scoring. I also think after reading the story about Muller saying our PP failed cause of lapses in execution that that may get better this year as well especially if Drouin has really learned like he said in his end of season exit interview. He told MB that he gets it now, whatever that means I will let you decide but if he does get it he should be world's better we will see.

It's practically the similar type of defenseman than we already have. Nothing new.

On 12/07/2019 at 1:02 PM, maas_art said:

I am squarely in the middle in that I think he's a lot better than the stats indicate but I dont think he's the right fit for this team. So in a vacuum the deal is fine and fair (less term than winnipeg offered him even) but for this team it doesnt make a lot of sense.  I would have rather traded for an older band-aid solution instead of signing another #4-6 dman tbh.   

So while i feel he will be a totally useable dman, I think he is not what we needed.  But, as ive said a few times, perhaps there's a trade in the works that includes a guy like Mete or Kulak to get us that true #1 and then this signing makes more sense. 

I think he's the Benn's replacement...

On 12/07/2019 at 1:04 PM, maas_art said:

The real key with any sort of "defensive" defensman is positioning.  Weber is elite positionally - he reads plays very well and understands where he needs to be. When he messes that up, he's in big trouble - unlike say, Mete, who can get to where he should be if he read the play wrong.

I have not watched Chiarot enough to have an opinion on his positioning but Im certainly willing to watch him with an open mind. That will be the key to his success here imho. 

I'll try to watch Chiarot when he played against the Habs. Especially during the 2019/2020 season. Gonna check if I got until now those recordings on my TV.

21 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

I have seen him play, he is good no superstar for sure but he looks a fair bit better than Benn defenesivly to me. i see him on the third pairing with moments on other pairings if we need to mix things up due to matchups.

He's expensive to my mind. A two way D? A total upgrade to our D? A completely change to our D with his presence?

On 11/07/2019 at 9:42 PM, kinot-2 said:

 

I need the Chiarot's whole career highlights 

On 11/07/2019 at 9:53 PM, habsisme said:

Looks better than I thought. Seems to have some mobility, he doesn't appear to be a pylon (the way he handled puck at blue line). How is his passing and skating? If he's even average, he's a good pick up

Having another shot will help our power play, it will be harder to cover both points 

What I'm looking is on his side: 

-creativity

-defensively defensive

-bringing fewer errors

-progress (points,etc)

On 11/07/2019 at 11:39 PM, rkgoalie said:

i like what i see..........:6188:

It's a simple incomplete preview. Solely correct sequences. Not the whole picture.

On 11/07/2019 at 11:43 PM, xxdocxx said:

So your not a fan of Chiarot but that's ok. Its just our opinion that we think he's going to surprise some people. He might end up being terrible.

I and we hope he'll know success here. I and we don't hope he'll be a flop here.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/07/2019 at 0:28 PM, campabee82 said:

His skating is above average not to the level of say Petry or Mete but more along the lines of Kulak solid and smooth. his passing is about average but he more than makes up for that with his ability to make the safe plays to get out of the zone. His shot isn't a Weber 101 mph but at 97.9 mph I would say he can shoot. All we need from him is to be solid defensively and get the pucks to the skilled players that will allow Petry to use his speed and skill to join the rush more often kind of a Weber 2.0 but with more mobility and a marginally softer shot.

In the D's free agent, you choose him in which rank? 

On 12/07/2019 at 9:50 AM, claremont said:

+1 for being ok with this signing - imo better than resigning Benn, gives us some toughness around Price, and a solid #4-5 defenseman- not sure there was much else out there that would be the silver bullet without giving up prospects via trade and Gardner while fluid in skating wouldn’t push this team over the top 

Easier to trade contracts of lower value and term than having to retain salary like the high priced Kessel deals too.

It costs us money. A little bit high. Furthermore, it's not a trade. So in this business aspect, I'm partially ok. Not totally ok.

On 12/07/2019 at 2:15 AM, Windoe said:

I value this guy's opinion about Jets players

Me 50%-50%.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ahmedou said:

In the D's free agent, you choose him in which rank? 

It costs us money. A little bit high. Furthermore, it's not a trade. So in this business aspect, I'm partially ok. Not totally ok.

Me 50%-50%.

not sure why you seem to find him to be expensive he is cheaper and in my opinion better than Benn who he is replacing. no one expects him to be on the first pairing so he will slot in where he should be and do just fine i have seen him play a couple of times he will be an upgrade on Benn and allow someone like Julesson to get his game together and at certain points against bigger teams be used to do some shutdown work when needed.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2019‎-‎07‎-‎12 at 0:18 AM, kinot-2 said:

Since it's just our opinions, then I will offer mine. IMO, he's a Weber <2, not as big, not a really hard shot, but, he hits, and blocks shots, and he stands up for his teammates, annnnnnd , he will want to endear himself to the Habs fanbase. IMO, he's 28 and will be looking for long term for his next contract.

Apparently he has a very hard shot 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys.

Great analysis.

Im hoping we are all pleasantly surprised here.

Its looking more and more like the team will roll with the current roster which means our D men will be called upon to do quite a bit of the heavy lifting.

I think reduced 5 on 5 play For Shea and increased special teams play will also benefit this D-core.

Cheers.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ahmedou said:

 

It's practically the similar type of defenseman than we already have. Nothing new.

I think he's the Benn's replacement...

I'll try to watch Chiarot when he played against the Habs. Especially during the 2019/2020 season. Gonna check if I got until now those recordings on my TV.

He's expensive to my mind. A two way D? A total upgrade to our D? A completely change to our D with his presence?

I need the Chiarot's whole career highlights 

What I'm looking is on his side: 

-creativity

-defensively defensive

-bringing fewer errors

-progress (points,etc)

It's a simple incomplete preview. Solely correct sequences. Not the whole picture.

I and we hope he'll know success here. I and we don't hope he'll be a flop here.

Well That's good we are all on the same page. It's just you were asking to many questions on him. Which shows a lack of confidence in him.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, xxdocxx said:

Well That's good we are all on the same page. It's just you were asking to many questions on him. Which shows a lack of confidence in him.

Not necessarily, we all have some questions on how a "new" player will play on our team. We all have different questions surrounding him. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

not sure why you seem to find him to be expensive he is cheaper and in my opinion better than Benn who he is replacing. no one expects him to be on the first pairing so he will slot in where he should be and do just fine i have seen him play a couple of times he will be an upgrade on Benn and allow someone like Julesson to get his game together and at certain points against bigger teams be used to do some shutdown work when needed.

I'm pessimistic and optimistic at the same time. 

16 hours ago, arpem-can said:

Apparently he has a very hard shot 

Hopefully, not off target. Hopefully, on target. Like most of the time.

13 hours ago, xxdocxx said:

Well That's good we are all on the same page. It's just you were asking to many questions on him. Which shows a lack of confidence in him.

I've 1909 questions and plus :D It's not finish... He wasn't a Habs player previously. So I like to know him in his totality. The whole details possible.  

10 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Not necessarily, we all have some questions on how a "new" player will play on our team. We all have different questions surrounding him. 

As much as we ask questions about the new players. As much as we know about them.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ahmedou said:

I'm pessimistic and optimistic at the same time. 

Hopefully, not off target. Hopefully, on target. Like most of the time.

I've 1909 questions and plus :D It's not finish... He wasn't a Habs player previously. So I like to know him in his totality. The whole details possible.  

As much as we ask questions about the new players. As much as we know about them.

Yep.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He could end up a Jeff Petry type for us but withe little more jam to his game.  Jeff Petry was a late bloomer and didn’t start putting bigger numbers until his late 20’s early thirties.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.