The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Next step for MB and the Habs?

H_T_L

45 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

How can you state Fleury is a proven NHL player when he has never played an NHL game. Aren't you putting the cart before the horse?

Look at the Canadiens history of drafting and developing players .  I've heard of three of those guys and I'd be pleasantly surprised if 1 or 2 make it to the NHL

1 hour ago, habs1952 said:

How can you state Fleury is a proven NHL player when he has never played an NHL game. Aren't you putting the cart before the horse?

Sorry, that was a typo - was supposed to be Mete since i didnt list him or Juulsen below and did list Fleury under prospects. 

• 1 month later...
31 minutes ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Final Cuts for the upcoming season ... and a possible trade

I'm guessing final cuts will come after tonight's Toronto game.

Possible trade. Maybe. I feel like MB is trying to trade a depth player to make room for Suzuki. I know everyone is getting excited about moving Drouin, but... I'm doubtful that happens. it will probably be someone like Matthew Peca or Dale Weise.

Friedman speculated in 31 Thoughts yesterday the Habs are looking to trade a forward. Not necessarily anything major though, could just be a Hudon for a 5th type of deal but there's a bit of a logjam in the bottom six, especially when Byron is back and/or if they decide to call up Poehling. 

2 minutes ago, Noob616 said:

Friedman speculated in 31 Thoughts yesterday the Habs are looking to trade a forward. Not necessarily anything major though, could just be a Hudon for a 5th type of deal but there's a bit of a logjam in the bottom six, especially when Byron is back and/or if they decide to call up Poehling. 

I can see that being the exact deal, actually. :lol: Hudon sounds about right.

3 hours ago, Noob616 said:

I agree it's likely what MB is looking at but Hudon has had some chemistry with KK this preseason I wonder if they maybe take that into the regular season to see what comes of it. I wouldn't not trade Hudon just cause he had chemistry if it was for a 4th or 5th just suggesting that they might wait and see how the season starts before giving up on a 3rd year player.

3 hours ago, Noob616 said:

My guess is that MB has his typical "take it or leave it" deals out there.  He probably has some offers that might include a guy like Drouin or Tatar (for an impact player in return) but he also might be looking at smaller deals for someone like Hudon or Peca.   

There's likely no way we go into the regular season without either trading someone or losing at least one guy to waivers, so why not get something for one of those guys? 

15 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I agree it's likely what MB is looking at but Hudon has had some chemistry with KK this preseason I wonder if they maybe take that into the regular season to see what comes of it. I wouldn't not trade Hudon just cause he had chemistry if it was for a 4th or 5th just suggesting that they might wait and see how the season starts before giving up on a 3rd year player.

They are playing Hudon with Suzuki today.  I wouldnt read much into it (they've even broken up the 1st line for most of the preseason) but you have to wonder if its a case of trying to find a spot for him (since he's looked much better this year) or simply trying to showcase him to rival GMs for a trade. 

I also wouldnt want to trade Hudon but I also understand it may become a reality because of our depth.   Its just a tough one because lets say we trade (or waive) Hudon but keep Thompson. Nate is 9 years older than Hudon so its like "which one has a future" but in reality if neither do... and Nate is more what we need this year... you know. 

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

My guess is that MB has his typical "take it or leave it" deals out there.  He probably has some offers that might include a guy like Drouin or Tatar (for an impact player in return) but he also might be looking at smaller deals for someone like Hudon or Peca.   

There's likely no way we go into the regular season without either trading someone or losing at least one guy to waivers, so why not get something for one of those guys? 

They are playing Hudon with Suzuki today.  I wouldnt read much into it (they've even broken up the 1st line for most of the preseason) but you have to wonder if its a case of trying to find a spot for him (since he's looked much better this year) or simply trying to showcase him to rival GMs for a trade. 

I also wouldnt want to trade Hudon but I also understand it may become a reality because of our depth.   Its just a tough one because lets say we trade (or waive) Hudon but keep Thompson. Nate is 9 years older than Hudon so its like "which one has a future" but in reality if neither do... and Nate is more what we need this year... you know. 

I actually think with Poehling and Weal ect. that Nat may be more replaceable because with Shaw gone we actually need to be able to replace his production and Hudon may be able to help do that.

1 hour ago, CaptWelly said:

I actually think with Poehling and Weal ect. that Nat may be more replaceable because with Shaw gone we actually need to be able to replace his production and Hudon may be able to help do that.

Yeah maybe.  I honestly dont know how they are looking at the team. I guess my point is just that every year we seem to get upset with losing assets (remember how people had fits when guys like Scherbak, DeLa Rose and others were claimed) but in reality losing mid-to-lower tier assets isnt really a huge thing. 

Sure it would be nice to get a 5th round pick for a guy but that pick is very unlikely to turn into something great  - and if he does, its probably 5+ years down the road - so honestly it is what it is.

I feel like a guy like Hudon could still surprise us (he did have a really great rookie season) but he just as easily could be a bust. As long as we're not losing quality young players to keep guys like Dale Weise or Peca in the lineup (like we used to do with DLo) then im ok with it.  

• Buy out Karl Alzner (no other choice)
  • Trade Carey Price for elite forward (Patrick Laine?) and promote Charlie Lindgren
  • Trade Jonathan Drouin for elite LHD
  • Trade Shea Weber for elite RHD
  • Field Tatar-Domi-Gallagher as 1st line and Poehling-Kotkaniemi-Suzuki as 2nd line

6 minutes ago, PuckPundit said:
  • Buy out Karl Alzner (no other choice)
  • Trade Carey Price for elite forward (Patrick Laine?) and promote Charlie Lindgren
  • Trade Jonathan Drouin for elite LHD
  • Trade Shea Weber for elite RHD
  • Field Tatar-Domi-Gallagher as 1st line and Poehling-Kotkaniemi-Suzuki as 2nd line

What? Trade Price and Weber in the same season! Why? Both are back to their top form. Having Poehling, Kotkaniemi and Suzuki all on the same line also makes no sense when you could have a Domi, Kotkaniemi Poehling and Danault as your centers. Plus by trading away that many of your best players in one season your removing any shot at the playoffs for the next 3 seasons and LINDGREN as your goalie who is clearly NOT a starting NHL quality goalie is suicide 

• H_T_L locked this topic