Drouin/Kotkaniemi/Weal
Byron/Thompson/Armia
Cousins/Poehling/Hudon

Mete/Weber
Chiarot/Petry
Kulak/Fleury
Reilly/Folin

Price/Kinkaid/Lindgren 

No change to the lines for a couple of days in a row. Starting to feel like this is what we'll see to start the season: 

Tatar/Danault /Gallagher
Lehkonen/Domi/Suzuki
Drouin/Kotkaniemi/Weal
Byron/Thompson/Armia

Mete/Weber
Chiarot/Petry
Kulak/Fleury

with Cousins, Poehling, Hudon, Reilly & Folin battling for the 3 spots in the pressbox.    Poehling can go down without risk of waivers (and i think he might start the season in laval either way) ... one of the other 4 is going to be exposed, or, if MB can pull it off, traded.    Lindgren will presumably be sent down too. 

Only change to the above would be with Poehling having a chance to play tomorrow night, maybe he still has an outside shot to win a spot and displace Thompson. I don't think they'll keep Poehling to play 20 games, but they will to play him on the 4th line apparently. If he's ready, he's a huge step up on what Thompson brings.

My money right now, if Poehling starts the year in Laval (which I think the odds say he will), is that the Habs retain Reilly AND Folin because they're less sure about their D situation and don't want to lose options on waivers. I think they'll then have to decide between Cousins or Hudon. Hudon has a higher chance of being claimed on waivers but I think the Habs just don't see him as a fit here. So I'm looking at higher odds that the Habs are currently shopping both Hudon and Lindgren right now because they know those are two players they will cut who could easily be claimed.

40 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Only change to the above would be with Poehling having a chance to play tomorrow night, maybe he still has an outside shot to win a spot and displace Thompson. I don't think they'll keep Poehling to play 20 games, but they will to play him on the 4th line apparently. If he's ready, he's a huge step up on what Thompson brings.

My money right now, if Poehling starts the year in Laval (which I think the odds say he will), is that the Habs retain Reilly AND Folin because they're less sure about their D situation and don't want to lose options on waivers. I think they'll then have to decide between Cousins or Hudon. Hudon has a higher chance of being claimed on waivers but I think the Habs just don't see him as a fit here. So I'm looking at higher odds that the Habs are currently shopping both Hudon and Lindgren right now because they know those are two players they will cut who could easily be claimed.

Pretty much agree with everything you've said here.

Poehling > Thompson (especially considering it looks like either guy will get quality linemates in Byron & Armia - what a luxury of riches to have those 2 guys on the 4th line!) so id rather have Poehling playing but I feel like they might well send him to Laval for a little bit. He'd absolutely be the first callup though.

I think reilly and folin are probably the safe bets for 2 of the pressbox slots, so as you said: cousins and hudon.  

All 5 guys we sent down yesterday cleared so now that that we have guys like Peca and Oulette available for callup maybe that changes who we expose to waivers (ie is it easier to replace Cousins than Hudon with guys we have in the minors) but like you, im not sure they see a place for Hudon.  

47 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

it has been an odd camp i don't like that we played the last game with as many fringe players i feel we should have had about two games with our rough lineup.

Normally a team will do that but we had so many players that we basically played half a lineup or regulars with 1/2 a lineup of fringe players every single game. So while we didnt have a "full roster" we did get most of the guys enough games, just split up.  I think it should be ok. 

23 hours ago, maas_art said:

No change to the lines for a couple of days in a row. Starting to feel like this is what we'll see to start the season: 

Tatar/Danault /Gallagher
Lehkonen/Domi/Suzuki
Drouin/Kotkaniemi/Weal
Byron/Thompson/Armia

Mete/Weber
Chiarot/Petry
Kulak/Fleury

Not that much finishers in our pipeline. A few safe and high values... Lesser creative playmaking players. Ain't blessed by our depth.. Vast quantity of grinders. Limited quality of top NHL'ers tho...

14 minutes ago, ahmedou said:

Not that much finishers in our pipeline. A few safe and high values... Lesser creative playmaking players. Ain't blessed by our depth.. Vast quantity of grinders. Limited quality of top NHL'ers tho...

What lineup are you looking at? The only guys that can be considered grinders are Thmpson and Chiarot and maybe Armia but not really cause he does have some skill

Playmakers are

Drouin, Domi, Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Mete and Danault

Shooters are

Tatar, Lehkonen, Gallagher, Weal, Byron, Suzuki and Domi and possibly Kotkaniemi if he keeps to his word and shoots more this season

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

What lineup are you looking at? The only guys that can be considered grinders are Thmpson and Chiarot and maybe Armia but not really cause he does have some skill

Playmakers are

Drouin, Domi, Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Mete and Danault

Shooters are

Tatar, Lehkonen, Gallagher, Weal, Byron, Suzuki and Domi and possibly Kotkaniemi if he keeps to his word and shoots more this season

Our roster on real life. Not on online games... Who're elite?

14 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

I think Fleury makes it, he does a lot of stuff very well i think Kulak was kind of shaky tonight myself.

He might, but then again, he could be a victim of numbers if they decide not to risk losing Reilly/Folin on waivers. I have a feeling he's going to Laval but will be the first call up for injuries. I definitely see him playing at some point this season.

6 hours ago, H_T_L said:

We do have one elite guy (Price). Many would argue that having an elite guy on the ice for 60 minutes has greater value then an elite forward or D on the ice for 20 to 25.

I also think there's an argument to be made for quality depth vs. high end/low end.  I am not certain Id rather have Toronto's forward group than ours (despite them having 4 elite forwards) because the drop off after their top 6-7 forwards is pretty huge. I think there are going to be 4-5 regulars in their top 12 that would not make our lineup. 

2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Suzuki is no doubt a wrap to make this team. Poehling with a couple poor penalties i would say is a long shot at this point. Fleury had a lot of little errors last game and didn't really seal a spot IMO. Going to be interesting to see the final cuts.

For sure will be interesting. I think Suzuki & Fleury make it. I think Poehling actually made it really easy on MB because he can say 'well send him to laval for some conditioning'    I think hudon may be put on waivers if they cant deal him for a mid round pick. 

1 hour ago, I-Am-Canadian_mtl said:

Is anybody concerned about the kid Kotkaniemi? He’s done absolutely nothing in 4 preseason games...maybe he needs time in Laval...??

Im not yet.    I understand why we might be a little worried given the games but until the 'real season' starts I dont think theres' any cause for concern.  If he looks like this after 4 games to start the year... well then you worry.   There's still a (very small) chance they send him to Laval to start the year too.  If they do that (with Poehling) they dont have to expose anyone to waivers right now. 

- Agreed with the consensus that Suzuki makes the team

- I think Fleury will also make it and that the Habs will carry 8 D men to start the year. If push comes to shove, I think the Habs keep Folin over Reilly... one, because it gives them a guy who plays the right side in case Fleury falters and two because Folin is cheaper (easier to pay and less likely to be claimed perhaps). I don't agree with that, but I think the Habs have them lined up as Fleury-Folin-Reilly in that order, with lots of possibility for fluctuation in addition to the wildcard of Juulsen maybe coming back at some point.

- I've articulated before why I think Thompson and Weal are safe (in Julien's eyes). There would then be just one spot left on the roster (if Habs go 8 D) for Poehling, Hudon, and Cousins. Even though Poehling is a better option than Hudon, Cousins, Thompson, Weal, and Armia, I just don't see him winning that last spot... I think the team will be okay with starting him in Laval and recalling him if he's playing well. Right now, Evans is the 1C in Laval, so there's space for someone to go there and get minutes. My gut is that they will keep Cousins over Hudon, and like I said, that they are trying to deal Hudon, Reilly, and Lindgren right now to avoid losing them for free.

- On that note, I wouldn't be surprised to see Lindgren traded or claimed by Tuesday.

- Kotkaniemi has got to be safe. He's played okay despite not having points to show for it, but he's also gotten the short end of the stick when it comes to wingers again. The best wingers on this team are in order Gallagher, Tatar, Suzuki, Drouin, Lehkonen, Byron... and JK hasn't gotten the same support that Danault or even Domi have gotten. You can't expect him to work miracles with guys who don't finish very well. He's still a solid two-way option and I don't see the Habs starting JK in Laval. If he falters and Poehling plays well then maybe they swap them for 5-10 games, but I don't expect JK to be an odd man out.

- Like last year, very unimpressed with Domi's attitude. The guy is showing that once again he's immature and can't control his anger. Lots of selfish aggression, and that has to change. You love for guys to have emotion and intensity, but Domi will never be a top-tier player if he can't harness that in the right way.

- Would love to see JK and Suzuki paired together now that it seems both will be on the team. I still prefer Drouin with Domi rather than JK, so to me, the middle two lines of Drouin-Domi-Byron and Lehkonen-JK-Suzuki make more sense to me.

- Weal, Cousins, Thompson, and Armia are all IMO 4th line players. Don't have any interest in seeing any of them in the top 9.

Hudon and Lindgren put on waivers. Roster down to 24 players, looks like Poehling may be the odd man out as the habs likely go with 13 forwards and 8 dmen. Some form of lineup like.

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher 

Lehkonen-Domi-Suzuki 

Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Weal

Byron-Thompson-Armia 

Cousins

Mete-Weber 

Chiarot-Petry 

Kulak-Fleury 

Reilly, Folin

Price

Kinkade

With Poehling likely being sent to the Rocket.

7 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Hudon and Lindgren put on waivers. Roster down to 24 players, looks like Poehling may be the odd man out as the habs likely go with 13 forwards and 8 dmen. Some form of lineup like.

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher 

Lehkonen-Domi-Suzuki 

Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Weal

Byron-Thompson-Armia 

Cousins

Mete-Weber 

Chiarot-Petry 

Kulak-Fleury 

Reilly, Folin

Price

Kinkade

With Poehling likely being sent to the Rocket.

Kinda hope both are claimed as both deserve a chance to play somewhere in the NHL but also hope they clear so we don't lose them for nothing LOL.

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

Kinda hope both are claimed as both deserve a chance to play somewhere in the NHL but also hope they clear so we don't lose them for nothing LOL.

Hudon might still have some use for us if he clears but I have no idea where they'll send Charlie if he doesn't get picked up. He's fallen off the charts in our system now with Primeau and McNiven there.

• H_T_L locked this topic