The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Shea Weber

H_T_L

Not encouraging news from Bergevin today.  

Sounds like its almost impossible Weber comes back this year and its looking more like he may have played his last game in the NHL.  I am sure if there's even the slimmest of chances he can come back, he will, but it sounds like it just may be past the point of recovery.  This is devastating news for Shea himself, as I know he felt like he had several good years left.  People thought he would retire when his actual salary was $1m but i know that he would have played for a loonie (if that was the contract he signed) as long as he felt it was helping his team. 

The good news for the team is that they know this already & can use that money towards a replacement & hopefully improvement to our blueline.  

There's also the issue of the captaincy. I am sure they wont do anything about it until Shea has officially retired etc but if/when that happens i would assume Gallagher will be the guy. 

I feel bad for Shea. It sounds like his body has been really taking a beating over the past few seasons. I'm sure he wants nothing more than keep playing hockey. Bergevin's press conference certainly made it sound like his career might be finished. I wish we could've gotten him that Cup.

17 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I feel bad for Shea. It sounds like his body has been really taking a beating over the past few seasons. I'm sure he wants nothing more than keep playing hockey. Bergevin's press conference certainly made it sound like his career might be finished. I wish we could've gotten him that Cup.

That image of him, sitting on the bench, fighting back tears in the dying minutes of game five will always stay with me.  It was so hard to watch & even more poignant now that you know what he was playing through. 

One of the very few who supported this guy coming to Montreal when it happened. He is without a doubt a true warrior of the game. Still not convinced he is finished. Heard a few people say that it would be very just if he is out for the entire season. We get Tampa in round one and he comes back to play in it. 

2 hours ago, tony5775 said:

One of the very few who supported this guy coming to Montreal when it happened. He is without a doubt a true warrior of the game. Still not convinced he is finished. Heard a few people say that it would be very just if he is out for the entire season. We get Tampa in round one and he comes back to play in it. 

Seems sooo apropo. :lol:

2 hours ago, tony5775 said:

How fantastic would that be?   Especially if we manage to get a guy like Dougie Hamilton in Weber's place.

Edmundson-Petry
Romanov-Hamilton
Chiarot-Weber

Our best defense in 40 years?  Maybe. 

4 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Was there ever an update on Shea's status (LTIR eligibility)?

Nothing official but there should be no reason he isnt LTIR eligible.    It sounds like any one of his 3 injuries that require surgery could keep him out of the lineup and so im assuming that at least one of them will be severe enough for the league to grant LTIR status for the year. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • H_T_L locked this topic