The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2 minutes ago, RCAF48 said:

McDavid did more than enough slashing, hooking, agitating, scoring and setting up goals in 27 minutes to win the game without requiring someone else do his shoving and chirping. That is how much McDavid did and it does matter because he wins hockey games by playing hard. I respect that, even in an opponent.

- 30 -

Yes he also hit Danault from behind which is why Weber should have came to the defense of Danault. It's not about whether or not a player can stand up for himself it's about leadership and sending the message that liberties will not be tolerated against our players no matter if they are capable of defending themselves or not. As the Captain of the team he should be the first to arrive not the one skating away.

29 minutes ago, RCAF48 said:

McDavid did more than enough slashing, hooking, agitating, scoring and setting up goals in 27 minutes to win the game without requiring someone else do his shoving and chirping. That is how much McDavid did and it does matter because he wins hockey games by playing hard. I respect that, even in an opponent.

- 30 -

I wanted to add this to my last post. I assume you are in the military or are former military from your name, I too am former military (reserve but still military). As being former members of the military we would rush to the aide of another member no matter what. Playing a team sport has the same comradery and loyalty as the military IMO. It may just be a sport to you and me but to the players on the ice they are teammates, friends, sometimes family and it is their way of life. That means a lot to those young men, they form a bond much like the young men and women of the military. I am not saying that Weber should be stripped of his "C" or anything drastic like that just that he should have at least skated over and had a conversation with McDavid.

Edited by campabee82
7 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I wanted to add this to my last post. I assume you are in the military or are former military from your name, I too am former military (reserve but still military). As being former members of the military we would rush to the aide of another member no matter what. Playing a team sport has the same comradery and loyalty as the military IMO. It may just be a sport to you and me but to the players on the ice they are teammates, friends, sometimes family and it is their way of life. That means a lot to those young men, they form a bond much like the young men and women of the military. I am not saying that Weber should be stripped of his "C" or anything drastic like that just that he should have at least skated over and had a conversation with McDavid.

A statement I can stand fully behind (no real military experience outside of my mandatory 12-month military service when I was still young). I get the honorable opponent concept but Weber was in a pretty good spot to respond, which I think he should have given his status and role on the team. Nothing wrong with exchanging a few words between team captains, he didn't have to jump McDavid to send a bit of a message and stand up for Danault.

10 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

A statement I can stand fully behind (no real military experience outside of my mandatory 12-month military service when I was still young). I get the honorable opponent concept but Weber was in a pretty good spot to respond, which I think he should have given his status and role on the team. Nothing wrong with exchanging a few words between team captains, he didn't have to jump McDavid to send a bit of a message and stand up for Danault.

EXACTLY!!! IMO all he had to do was skate over and say something like "hey Conner, I respect you and all but if you do that again we will have a problem" simple as that. Other guys would have rushed in for sure and maybe a scrum ensues but the message will be recieved.

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

EXACTLY!!! IMO all he had to do was skate over and say something like "hey Conner, I respect you and all but if you do that again we will have a problem" simple as that. Other guys would have rushed in for sure and maybe a scrum ensues but the message will be recieved.

Unless there is some sort of rift within the team because if I was a captain with an Avery, Tkachuk, Kesler, Marchand etc. and they were doing something stupid, I wouldn’t stick my neck out. That’s the only excuse and Danault doesn’t strike me as that sort of player unless he’s still sulking about his contract and not applying effort. The optics do appear to be with Weber 

2 hours ago, claremont said:

Unless there is some sort of rift within the team because if I was a captain with an Avery, Tkachuk, Kesler, Marchand etc. and they were doing something stupid, I wouldn’t stick my neck out. That’s the only excuse and Danault doesn’t strike me as that sort of player unless he’s still sulking about his contract and not applying effort. The optics do appear to be with Weber 

That part I can agree with. Danault strikes me as a "me first" type of player.  But, Weber, if he is a Team Leader, can't be thinking that way also. He has to set the right example, and in my opinion,  he does not.