The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Shea Weber

H_T_L

2 minutes ago, RCAF48 said:

McDavid did more than enough slashing, hooking, agitating, scoring and setting up goals in 27 minutes to win the game without requiring someone else do his shoving and chirping. That is how much McDavid did and it does matter because he wins hockey games by playing hard. I respect that, even in an opponent.

- 30 -

Yes he also hit Danault from behind which is why Weber should have came to the defense of Danault. It's not about whether or not a player can stand up for himself it's about leadership and sending the message that liberties will not be tolerated against our players no matter if they are capable of defending themselves or not. As the Captain of the team he should be the first to arrive not the one skating away.

29 minutes ago, RCAF48 said:

McDavid did more than enough slashing, hooking, agitating, scoring and setting up goals in 27 minutes to win the game without requiring someone else do his shoving and chirping. That is how much McDavid did and it does matter because he wins hockey games by playing hard. I respect that, even in an opponent.

- 30 -

I wanted to add this to my last post. I assume you are in the military or are former military from your name, I too am former military (reserve but still military). As being former members of the military we would rush to the aide of another member no matter what. Playing a team sport has the same comradery and loyalty as the military IMO. It may just be a sport to you and me but to the players on the ice they are teammates, friends, sometimes family and it is their way of life. That means a lot to those young men, they form a bond much like the young men and women of the military. I am not saying that Weber should be stripped of his "C" or anything drastic like that just that he should have at least skated over and had a conversation with McDavid.

7 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I wanted to add this to my last post. I assume you are in the military or are former military from your name, I too am former military (reserve but still military). As being former members of the military we would rush to the aide of another member no matter what. Playing a team sport has the same comradery and loyalty as the military IMO. It may just be a sport to you and me but to the players on the ice they are teammates, friends, sometimes family and it is their way of life. That means a lot to those young men, they form a bond much like the young men and women of the military. I am not saying that Weber should be stripped of his "C" or anything drastic like that just that he should have at least skated over and had a conversation with McDavid.

A statement I can stand fully behind (no real military experience outside of my mandatory 12-month military service when I was still young). I get the honorable opponent concept but Weber was in a pretty good spot to respond, which I think he should have given his status and role on the team. Nothing wrong with exchanging a few words between team captains, he didn't have to jump McDavid to send a bit of a message and stand up for Danault.

10 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

A statement I can stand fully behind (no real military experience outside of my mandatory 12-month military service when I was still young). I get the honorable opponent concept but Weber was in a pretty good spot to respond, which I think he should have given his status and role on the team. Nothing wrong with exchanging a few words between team captains, he didn't have to jump McDavid to send a bit of a message and stand up for Danault.

EXACTLY!!! IMO all he had to do was skate over and say something like "hey Conner, I respect you and all but if you do that again we will have a problem" simple as that. Other guys would have rushed in for sure and maybe a scrum ensues but the message will be recieved.

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

EXACTLY!!! IMO all he had to do was skate over and say something like "hey Conner, I respect you and all but if you do that again we will have a problem" simple as that. Other guys would have rushed in for sure and maybe a scrum ensues but the message will be recieved.

Unless there is some sort of rift within the team because if I was a captain with an Avery, Tkachuk, Kesler, Marchand etc. and they were doing something stupid, I wouldn’t stick my neck out. That’s the only excuse and Danault doesn’t strike me as that sort of player unless he’s still sulking about his contract and not applying effort. The optics do appear to be with Weber 

2 hours ago, claremont said:

Unless there is some sort of rift within the team because if I was a captain with an Avery, Tkachuk, Kesler, Marchand etc. and they were doing something stupid, I wouldn’t stick my neck out. That’s the only excuse and Danault doesn’t strike me as that sort of player unless he’s still sulking about his contract and not applying effort. The optics do appear to be with Weber 

That part I can agree with. Danault strikes me as a "me first" type of player.  But, Weber, if he is a Team Leader, can't be thinking that way also. He has to set the right example, and in my opinion,  he does not.

5 hours ago, electron58 said:

It seemed to be.  I wonder why that is?

I wonder if it was a home life situation, all too often we fans forget that these players are more than just hockey stars, they are human beings as well with their own lives and stresses outside of the game. He may have been injured or missing family or just plain worried about how they will be protected from the virus during the playoffs when they have to face an American team. Whatever the issue was let's hope that he has a handle on it now and his game is back to normal

23 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Best game of the year for #6, keep it up! we need it.

7 hours ago, electron58 said:

It seemed to be.  I wonder why that is?

Pretty crazy eh? He not only was more engaged, more physical & more "man mountain" but he had way better positioning and gap control. The change in play was odd, almost like a light-bulb being flipped on. 

One thing a lot of media has speculated is that he might be injured... so one of three things:  1) he got better (seems unlikely it would just turn around 360 like that)  2) he got better meds/therapy  3) he has been able to play like this but the worry is that he'll aggravate/worsen the injury so maybe he was trying to 'take it easy' till the playoffs and finally couldnt stand that plan any more.

Of course if any of those are true (relating to injury) he should have had some time off because he was actively hurting us for a while there.  Lets hope This Shea Weber is back to stay. 

5 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Pretty crazy eh? He not only was more engaged, more physical & more "man mountain" but he had way better positioning and gap control. The change in play was odd, almost like a light-bulb being flipped on. 

One thing a lot of media has speculated is that he might be injured... so one of three things:  1) he got better (seems unlikely it would just turn around 360 like that)  2) he got better meds/therapy  3) he has been able to play like this but the worry is that he'll aggravate/worsen the injury so maybe he was trying to 'take it easy' till the playoffs and finally couldnt stand that plan any more.

Of course if any of those are true (relating to injury) he should have had some time off because he was actively hurting us for a while there.  Lets hope This Shea Weber is back to stay. 

For sure. Normally,  you don't fall off a cliff with your skill set. Let's hope he's OK, because when he was bad,  he was very, very bad.

20 minutes ago, maas_art said:

The timing of his turn around was kind what got me to thinking about his personal life. His game picked up the day before the GM's zoom meeting, that makes me wonder if he was pulled aside for a talk by MB who told him all of the ideas floating around about the playoffs and how the league intends to protect the players and their families going into the playoffs. I could be way off base here and the timing was just coincidental as well lol.

Question - Next year Weber plays for $6 million salary, the year after he plays for $3 million. For the last 3 years of his contract he plays for $1 million at ages 38, 39,40

How many of you believe Weber is that proud, and wants to hang onto the dream of playing for $1M as a contributor at a 5/6 pairing at those ages? When do you think he retires? 

4 minutes ago, claremont said:

Question - Next year Weber plays for $6 million salary, the year after he plays for $3 million. For the last 3 years of his contract he plays for $1 million at ages 38, 39,40

How many of you believe Weber is that proud, and wants to hang onto the dream of playing for $1M as a contributor at a 5/6 pairing at those ages? When do you think he retires? 

I honestly think he wants to honor the contract he signed and doesn't want to cause cap issues for Nashville. He is a proud guy and I think it would have more to do with honoring the contract than desire to hold onto the game

15 minutes ago, claremont said:

Chara , Thorton ect. There comes a point where the amount of money doesn't matter as much as the love of the game or even something they've done all their lives 

42 minutes ago, claremont said:

25 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

Chara , Thorton ect. There comes a point where the amount of money doesn't matter as much as the love of the game or even something they've done all their lives 

Yeah, i think that as long as he's playing at a high enough level, he'll want to keep playing.  This year has been BAD. Like super bad, but if he's indeed hurt or whatever then maybe its an aberration.  

If he plays the way he has for most of this season then I think he retires early. He knows he's been playing badly. 

6 hours ago, claremont said:

All depends if he plays for a cup contender.

On 4/23/2021 at 8:10 AM, maas_art said:

Was back to being awful against Flames, right after his best game against Oilers .... 

20 hours ago, claremont said:

14 hours ago, habs1952 said:

All depends if he plays for a cup contender.

I would offer up this as rebuttals - 1) Weber will retire June 30/23 or earlier - for the 2023-24 season he would be 38 years old - there are only 5 current dmen playing now that are older than 35 - Chara, Greene, Boychuk, Giordano, Keith - it's a young man's speed game 2) Perhaps he loves the game but would he risk injury for $1M salary per season unless he was playing on a contender? 3) Montreal has all the power - they can induce Shea to retire by cutting his ice time to #5/6 pairings, healthy scratches or the most embarrassing of all threats but disrespectful to the minors - they are not going to waive him for nothing 4) Nashville has to be shaking in its boots at the prospect of Shea Weber retiring - there is a massive retirement recapture penalty to Nashville for signing his front loaded contract 5) I believe we will have Weber here for a maximum 2 years after this season or some deal will be worked out with Nashville

7 minutes ago, claremont said:

I would offer up this as rebuttals - 1) Weber will retire June 30/23 or earlier - for the 2023-24 season he would be 38 years old - there are only 5 current dmen playing now that are older than 35 - Chara, Greene, Boychuk, Giordano, Keith - it's a young man's speed game 2) Perhaps he loves the game but would he risk injury for $1M salary per season unless he was playing on a contender? 3) Montreal has all the power - they can induce Shea to retire by cutting his ice time to #5/6 pairings, healthy scratches or the most embarrassing of all threats but disrespectful to the minors - they are not going to waive him for nothing 4) Nashville has to be shaking in its boots at the prospect of Shea Weber retiring - there is a massive retirement recapture penalty to Nashville for signing his front loaded contract 5) I believe we will have Weber here for a maximum 2 years after this season or some deal will be worked out with Nashville

You have more faith than I do my friend LOL. 1. Weber is a proud player he signed that contract in good faith as such I expect him to play out the contract and not hurt the Preds for signing the deal. 

2. Montreal could be a contender by the 23-24 season, if some of our prospects hit their ceiling.

3. Montreal will NEVER do any of that

4. Maybe but perhaps they also know that Shea wouldn't want to disrespect the organization that way. He did sign the contract with the intention of playing it out.

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

1. Weber is a proud player he signed that contract in good faith as such I expect him to play out the contract and not hurt the Preds for signing the deal. 

This. But I could still see him being traded/asking for a trade to a contender.

3 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

Was back to being awful against Flames, right after his best game against Oilers .... 

definitely not a great game but i thought he was better than he has been - not as good as the one against the oil, but nowhere near as bad as he has been the last several weeks.   hopefully he's still getting his game back to normal. He's had some rough stretches in the past (i remember one particularly bad one his last year with the preds) although nothing this bad imho. 

• H_T_L locked this topic