Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Shea Weber


H_T_L
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Id love to see someone like Chiarot or Edmundson or Petry on on his flying hip-checks just demolish him with a big, clean hit. 

Me too!

However, probably hard to catch him with a hit like that. But yeah, we just gotta hit him whenever we get the chance and hope something that's nagging him gets worse, making him less effective on the ice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Me too!

However, probably hard to catch him with a hit like that. But yeah, we just gotta hit him whenever we get the chance and hope something that's nagging him gets worse, making him less effective on the ice.

Really curious to see how the coaching staff adapts in the game tonight.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Hopefully Ducharme is communicating an effective strategy with them over Zoom or something! :D

Apparently he is.  Its a sucky situation that he cant be with them but its not as bad as when you usually lose a coach. He apparently has no symptoms & feels 100% so its not like he's sitting at home (or the hospital) recovering. I am sure he's thinking Habs morning noon and night.  Biggest difference is on-the-fly changes but thankfully we only have 1 more game without him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Renaud Lavoie announces that Shea Weber has serious injuries to ankle, knee, and hand and that he could miss all of next season and/or be forced to retire. He claims Habs will not protect Weber at the ED.

If Weber retires this off-season, Habs have 543k cap recapture for next 5 years. If he goes on LTIR this year but retires next year, it's only 200k+ for 4 years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Renaud Lavoie announces that Shea Weber has serious injuries to ankle, knee, and hand and that he could miss all of next season and/or be forced to retire. He claims Habs will not protect Weber at the ED.

If Weber retires this off-season, Habs have 543k cap recapture for next 5 years. If he goes on LTIR this year but retires next year, it's only 200k+ for 4 years.

If he's basically guaranteed LTIR, I can't imagine that he'd retire, would just be throwing a few million down the drain.

For a 35 year old who will be making 1 million a year after next year, sure sounds like the end of the line, too bad he couldn't go out with a cup win. Crazy he played through that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Graeme-1 said:

If he's basically guaranteed LTIR, I can't imagine that he'd retire, would just be throwing a few million down the drain.

For a 35 year old who will be making 1 million a year after next year, sure sounds like the end of the line, too bad he couldn't go out with a cup win. Crazy he played through that.

I think next year he makes 6 then 3 the following and 1 a year after that until the end.

I imagine the Habs will talk him into taking his money next year and sit it out. Maybe returns come playoff time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Renaud Lavoie announces that Shea Weber has serious injuries to ankle, knee, and hand and that he could miss all of next season and/or be forced to retire. He claims Habs will not protect Weber at the ED.

If Weber retires this off-season, Habs have 543k cap recapture for next 5 years. If he goes on LTIR this year but retires next year, it's only 200k+ for 4 years.

EllieIDIOT Friedman saying the same thing. I don’t think anyone wants to see Weber go out like that after his contributions to the team. I’m ok with the recapture penalty but Nashville has to be shaking in their boots with a recapture of $4.9m for next 5 years 

mixed blessing - $7.3M net saving can buy a pretty good replacement on the right side and left side pairings with other D 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, claremont said:

EllieIDIOT Friedman saying the same thing. I don’t think anyone wants to see Weber go out like that after his contributions to the team. I’m ok with the recapture penalty but Nashville has to be shaking in their boots with a recapture of $4.9m for next 5 years 

mixed blessing - $7.3M net saving can buy a pretty good replacement on the right side and left side pairings with other D 

With apologies to Weber because I don't want to see anyone hurt, I think the Habs are better off with 7.3M cap savings despite the small recapture penalty in the event he retires IF they can find a better way to spend that money. If that money allows you to sign Hamilton or Landeskog or trade for Jones or Dumba then it's a win. It's actually a good off-season to be able to find someone who's desperate to not lose a player for free in the ED or to swing a deal with Seattle for them to draft you someone. There are lots of options here to replace Weber, and that 7.3M was just a bad deal going forward.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Graeme-1 said:

 too bad he couldn't go out with a cup win. Crazy he played through that.

No doubt. Devastating news for Shea.  It was obvious all year he was hurt - sure he was slow but his positioning (always a strong point throughout his career) was brutal - that just doesnt happen overnight.  
 

59 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Maybe the plan here is to pull a Tampa. Let him sit all year on LTIR ,,,, use up the Cap space,,, and then bring him back for the playoffs. :ph34r:

OMG. Could you imagine?  Sign Dougie Hamilton this year... bring Weber back in the post season to play 3rd pair?? Best RHD defense trio in history?? lol. 

12 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

With apologies to Weber because I don't want to see anyone hurt, I think the Habs are better off with 7.3M cap savings despite the small recapture penalty in the event he retires IF they can find a better way to spend that money. If that money allows you to sign Hamilton or Landeskog or trade for Jones or Dumba then it's a win. It's actually a good off-season to be able to find someone who's desperate to not lose a player for free in the ED or to swing a deal with Seattle for them to draft you someone. There are lots of options here to replace Weber, and that 7.3M was just a bad deal going forward.

Agree. You know im a Shea fan, especially on a personal level, but this could be the best thing for the team. Now MB is forced to upgrade our RHD.  There are a few options out there that could make us considerably better in the immediate future.  Heck, even keeping Edmundson / Chiarot in your top 4 if you were to add one fo the guys you mentioned, would make us better because they are mobile, puck-moving defensmen. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, maas_art said:

No doubt. Devastating news for Shea.  It was obvious all year he was hurt - sure he was slow but his positioning (always a strong point throughout his career) was brutal - that just doesnt happen overnight.  
 

OMG. Could you imagine?  Sign Dougie Hamilton this year... bring Weber back in the post season to play 3rd pair?? Best RHD defense trio in history?? lol. 

Agree. You know im a Shea fan, especially on a personal level, but this could be the best thing for the team. Now MB is forced to upgrade our RHD.  There are a few options out there that could make us considerably better in the immediate future.  Heck, even keeping Edmundson / Chiarot in your top 4 if you were to add one fo the guys you mentioned, would make us better because they are mobile, puck-moving defensmen. 

Need to be careful on free agents least we get another Alzner - Hamilton, Larson who is likely to be signed by Oilers and Oleksiuk may be the only free agents of interest for me and the latter pardon the pun is a stretch. Seth Jones? I’d be ecstatic 
I sure like the idea of a Bean, Dunn, possibly Devon Toews Ryan Graves, Cernak being acquired from Seattle but if they are that young why won’t Seattle keep them vs what we can offer 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, claremont said:

EllieIDIOT Friedman saying the same thing. I don’t think anyone wants to see Weber go out like that after his contributions to the team. I’m ok with the recapture penalty but Nashville has to be shaking in their boots with a recapture of $4.9m for next 5 years 

mixed blessing - $7.3M net saving can buy a pretty good replacement on the right side and left side pairings with other D 

Ignoring the human element, overall this is probably good news for Nashville. Obviously I'm no expert here, but what was tweeted sure seems like the sort of thing that could be used to just go on LTIR permanently. In that case, Weber has no reason to retire: he may as well collect the remaining (small) salary, which saves Nashville (and to a much lesser extent, Montreal) from cap recapture.

That's what happens with almost all of those long-term deals paying players past 35. I think the Canucks may have been the only team unlucky enough to actually have a player on a back-diving deal formally retire while under contract.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Maybe the plan here is to pull a Tampa. Let him sit all year on LTIR ,,,, use up the Cap space,,, and then bring him back for the playoffs. :ph34r:

Put him on LTIR then go after Seth Jones or Hamilton. Then as posted have Weber come back rested and strong for the playoffs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Graeme-1 said:

If he's basically guaranteed LTIR, I can't imagine that he'd retire, would just be throwing a few million down the drain.

For a 35 year old who will be making 1 million a year after next year, sure sounds like the end of the line, too bad he couldn't go out with a cup win. Crazy he played through that.

I think he definitely goes on LTIR if able to. He's owed $6 million in salary for next season. His last "big" salary payment before it drops down to $3 million and $1 million over the last several years of his deal.

Feel bad for Shea, though. Sounds like he's had a real struggle with heath over the past few seasons. Gotta give him credit for struggling through that during this year's playoffs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, tony5775 said:

Not sure I buy this story. Might just be an expansion draft ploy. If it works great, but personally I think Weber will play for us next season. 

I don't see Webber as being the kind of guy to let himself or his name be used in a game like this. he is hurt for sure it showed like Mass said you can slow down as you age but it is not like you forget how to play! he was in tough shape most of the season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, tony5775 said:

Not sure I buy this story. Might just be an expansion draft ploy. If it works great, but personally I think Weber will play for us next season. 

 

24 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

I don't see Webber as being the kind of guy to let himself or his name be used in a game like this. he is hurt for sure it showed like Mass said you can slow down as you age but it is not like you forget how to play! he was in tough shape most of the season.

Yeah, i dont think you take this risk if its "made up" - he clearly was hurt - severely hurt.   I do think he'll play again but i could see him being gone most or all of next year. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From TSN: 

Weber is one of the last active players in the league playing on a deal that would include a cap recapture penalty from the front-loaded 14-year, $110 million contract he signed with the Nashville Predators in 2012. He is due just $12 million in actual salary over the next five seasons.

If Weber were to retire, as opposed to landing on long-term injured reserve, the Predators would face a cap charge in each of the next five seasons, starting with a $4.9 million charge in the upcoming season and building to a charge of $24.57 million in 2025-26, the final year of Weber's deal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, claremont said:

EllieIDIOT Friedman saying the same thing. I don’t think anyone wants to see Weber go out like that after his contributions to the team. I’m ok with the recapture penalty but Nashville has to be shaking in their boots with a recapture of $4.9m for next 5 years 

mixed blessing - $7.3M net saving can buy a pretty good replacement on the right side and left side pairings with other D 

Hmm where was this said first - is there an echo in here?

31 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

From TSN: 

Weber is one of the last active players in the league playing on a deal that would include a cap recapture penalty from the front-loaded 14-year, $110 million contract he signed with the Nashville Predators in 2012. He is due just $12 million in actual salary over the next five seasons.

If Weber were to retire, as opposed to landing on long-term injured reserve, the Predators would face a cap charge in each of the next five seasons, starting with a $4.9 million charge in the upcoming season and building to a charge of $24.57 million in 2025-26, the final year of Weber's deal.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tony5775 said:

Not sure I buy this story. Might just be an expansion draft ploy. If it works great, but personally I think Weber will play for us next season. 

From what I understand this isn't just a situation where Montreal is saying, "Shea is hurt." The league and the NHLPA are both involved, doing their due diligence, to understand the situation fully. There are cap recapture implications if he retires and Montreal isn't just going to get away with saying he's injured as a ploy to scare of the Kraken.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The NHL is working through Shea Weber's case and they can't be certain that he's going to play again or that he's not going to play again. There have been other, recent examples in the NHL of players who aren't able to play being placed on long-term injured reserve for the remainder of those contracts. That hasn't happened yet with Weber, so what makes his situation different?

What makes it different is the timing and all that's going on in this offseason starting with the upcoming expansion process so there's no guarantee that the NHL is going to grant the Montreal Canadiens and Weber full LTIR but there's no guarantee they won't either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

The NHL is working through Shea Weber's case and they can't be certain that he's going to play again or that he's not going to play again. There have been other, recent examples in the NHL of players who aren't able to play being placed on long-term injured reserve for the remainder of those contracts. That hasn't happened yet with Weber, so what makes his situation different?

What makes it different is the timing and all that's going on in this offseason starting with the upcoming expansion process so there's no guarantee that the NHL is going to grant the Montreal Canadiens and Weber full LTIR but there's no guarantee they won't either.

Funny how other teams have been able to trade injured players on LTIR to gain cap space but when the Habs have an issue with Weber on LTIR, now they, the league, has a problem. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Funny how other teams have been able to trade injured players on LTIR to gain cap space but when the Habs have an issue with Weber on LTIR, now they, the league, has a problem. 

Yup. Tampa gets a free pass but we'll get scrutinized the whole way. Bettman's love for Canadian teams on full display once again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...