Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
H_T_L

Weber

56 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Thought id dig this thread up since a lot of us were a bit worried about the captain to start the year.   Ive read three separate articles lately suggesting Weber's name should at least be in the discussions for the Norris.  Now, obviously its way early (Not even halfway) and Carlson has a big point lead - but - here's an interesting stat:

Since October 17th:

Carlson: 25 games, 31 points.    
Yandle:  24 games, 24 points  
Weber: 26 games, 24 points
Hedman: 21games, 22 points
Makar: 23 games 22points.  

The big question is obviously: can he maintain this pace?  Hamilton, while still ahead has cooled lately and Carlson has come back to earth (still tops in points by a D but nowhere near the spread).

I think if Shea can keep it up, he gets at least consideration.   As a 3 time finalist (including 2 of the closest votes in the last 25 years of voting) there's a sliver of a chance he gets the "political" vote - the way actors sometimes get the academy award in years they dont really deserve it because they were overlooked in years they did.  As guys who watch Shea every game we know that his defensive game has suffered a bit lately but he still has that Man Mountain reputation and that can go a long way in the world of hockey voting... 

Yep every year since the trade several folks love to jump on any chance to slag Webber....... not sure why he is what he is and he is good at it i don't see a big drop off in his game coming any time soon. he did not look all that slow when he blasted down the ice for that wrap around goal, could it be because for the first time since he got here he has a good partner with some size and experience? I really hope Subban can find his grove but if he does not this trade will have been a win it could have been even better if MB had not allowed PK's value to drop.

14 hours ago, maas_art said:

Thought id dig this thread up since a lot of us were a bit worried about the captain to start the year.   Ive read three separate articles lately suggesting Weber's name should at least be in the discussions for the Norris.  Now, obviously its way early (Not even halfway) and Carlson has a big point lead - but - here's an interesting stat:

Since October 17th:

Carlson: 25 games, 31 points.    
Yandle:  24 games, 24 points  
Weber: 26 games, 24 points
Hedman: 21games, 22 points
Makar: 23 games 22points.  

The big question is obviously: can he maintain this pace?  Hamilton, while still ahead has cooled lately and Carlson has come back to earth (still tops in points by a D but nowhere near the spread).

I think if Shea can keep it up, he gets at least consideration.   As a 3 time finalist (including 2 of the closest votes in the last 25 years of voting) there's a sliver of a chance he gets the "political" vote - the way actors sometimes get the academy award in years they dont really deserve it because they were overlooked in years they did.  As guys who watch Shea every game we know that his defensive game has suffered a bit lately but he still has that Man Mountain reputation and that can go a long way in the world of hockey voting... 

I think he should be considered absolutely. He is also tied with Carlson for +11 highest plus of all those defenseman. Carlson is also playing on a much more offensive stacked team which elevates his point production. Weber plays all the tough minutes and also already has 60 blocked shots. The Norris anymore has gotten to be the trophy for the best offensive production from a defensive man not the best overall defense which is what the trophy was originally about and should be. I've seen his name already mentioned on NHL network and on different segments on XM NHL Network radio by several of the host. A lot of defenseman actually get the trophy later on. Lindstrom won several Norris trophies well into his 30's . Giordono won his in his 30's . As offensively great as Karlson is he was one of the examples of winning with offense only. He rarely kills penalties and has had several terrible - minus nights. There was a game earlier this year where SJ had 5 against and Karlson was on for all 5 and looked bad pout there defensively. That's one of the main reasons when so many want this guy ect. I look at the bigger picture not just what does this defenseman bring offensively. 

2 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

I think he should be considered absolutely. He is also tied with Carlson for +11 highest plus of all those defenseman. Carlson is also playing on a much more offensive stacked team which elevates his point production. Weber plays all the tough minutes and also already has 60 blocked shots. The Norris anymore has gotten to be the trophy for the best offensive production from a defensive man not the best overall defense which is what the trophy was originally about and should be. I've seen his name already mentioned on NHL network and on different segments on XM NHL Network radio by several of the host. A lot of defenseman actually get the trophy later on. Lindstrom won several Norris trophies well into his 30's . Giordono won his in his 30's . As offensively great as Karlson is he was one of the examples of winning with offense only. He rarely kills penalties and has had several terrible - minus nights. There was a game earlier this year where SJ had 5 against and Karlson was on for all 5 and looked bad pout there defensively. That's one of the main reasons when so many want this guy ect. I look at the bigger picture not just what does this defenseman bring offensively. 

Agree.  If Carlson ends up with say 75 points and Weber with 65 then i think he has a chance. If Carlson hits like 90 then its going to be basically impossible for anyone to beat him for the Norris (regardless of all the stuff you mentioned).

I think that Hamilton and Yandle will fade.  I believe its going to come down to Carlson, Weber, Hedman Josi and Makar when the dust settles but still a lot of hockey left to play. 

He moved into the top 10 all time with his goal last night. Was that for powerplay goals?

3 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

He moved into the top 10 all time with his goal last night. Was that for powerplay goals?

Yup, top 10 PP goals by defensmen.  He could legitimately hit top 5 by the time he retires. 

4 hours ago, maas_art said:

Yup, top 10 PP goals by defensmen.  He could legitimately hit top 5 by the time he retires. 

Yep he has not slowed down as much as many felt he would he could do it. he is a dedicated player and takes care of himself it is a young mans game but some guys can remain effective later in their careers.