Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
campabee82

Cole "Goal" Caufield

130 posts in this topic

Thanks for the update, can you tell us what his stats are currently?

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

Missed an update last Saturday Caufield had a goal. 

Watching the Michigan State vs Wisconsin game tonight and the Michigan State goalie is pretty good and a free agent this year could be a decent signing as a backup

7 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Thanks for the update, can you tell us what his stats are currently?

Sorry just saw your post

ChiLla is right he has 22 points in 21 games 13 goals 9 assists. Wisconsin was held scoreless last night and so far this year their record is 9-12-1

3 more goals last night he seems to have found his scoring touch again

After the weekend Caufield has 16 Goals 10 Assists for 26 points in 24 games. He sits 23rd in the league in points and is tied for 5th in goals but ranks first in both categories for freshmen. 

Caufield had 1 goal and an assist in tonight's 4-2 loss

11 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Caufield had 1 goal and an assist in tonight's 4-2 loss

TKS, I knew they were on TV. :)

Caufield had a goal and an assist tonight in an 8-4 loss

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

Caufield had a goal and an assist tonight in an 8-4 loss

Thanks, I appreciate you updates.

Would the timing of the NCAA Season ending allow Caufield to join the Habs before the NHL season ends... and would he be eligible in any case?

3 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Would the timing of the NCAA Season ending allow Caufield to join the Habs before the NHL season ends... and would he be eligible in any case?

He would be eligible but we would have to make the playoffs to call him up I believe

Caufield had 2 assists in a 5-3 loss to Michigan tonight

19 hours ago, campabee82 said:

He would be eligible but we would have to make the playoffs to call him up I believe

Thanks Camp :5210:

So it has been a while since I last gave an update on the kid, so here are his stats through 32 games. 19 Goals 15 Assists for 34 Points for a 1.06 PPG average. The frozen four is coming up quickly and while all teams in the Big Ten make the first round UW sits in last place and therefore are likely to see an early exit. It will be interesting to see if the Habs immediately sign him or if they allow him to return for a sophomore season with UW. Either way the kid is obviously more than just a goal scorer which makes him that much more dangerous. I can't wait for the day when he lines up on either Suzuki or Kotkaniemi's wing

On 2/8/2020 at 10:31 AM, campabee82 said:

i dont think thats true.

Poehling came over for 1 game last year despite us beiing out of the playoffs.   Totally depends on when his season ends (ie how far his team goes in the frozen four) but more importantly it depends on whether he intends to go back for his sophmore year at uni. If yes, then he wont come over.  

Obviously his choice will be largely based on whether the habs have said they will sign him to an ELC this year.  My guess is that we dont, he doesnt come over & they make the decision over the summer but stranger things have happened. 

15 minutes ago, maas_art said:

i dont think thats true.

Poehling came over for 1 game last year despite us beiing out of the playoffs.   Totally depends on when his season ends (ie how far his team goes in the frozen four) but more importantly it depends on whether he intends to go back for his sophmore year at uni. If yes, then he wont come over.  

Obviously his choice will be largely based on whether the habs have said they will sign him to an ELC this year.  My guess is that we dont, he doesnt come over & they make the decision over the summer but stranger things have happened. 

No as long as his team doesn't make it to the frozen four finals which take place in early April he can come over once his team is eliminated from playoffs

Edited by campabee82

Just to expand on the the above conversation. This weekend is the end of the NCAA regular season and with UW in last place in the Big Ten division they take on Minnesota in the first round who they are 0-3-1 against this season starting March 6-8. So IF they lose that series he could sign with Montreal on the 9th and finish the last 3 weeks with either Laval or the Habs. I would sign him and send him to Laval for further development and possible playoff experience.

I suspect he’ll be handled the same way Poehling was. Like most, I think Caufield will prefer to start getting paid as soon as possible. And ready or not, there’s always a risk of not getting these college kids signed. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out.

5 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

I suspect he’ll be handled the same way Poehling was. Like most, I think Caufield will prefer to start getting paid as soon as possible. And ready or not, there’s always a risk of not getting these college kids signed. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out.

I suspect that Caufield will be signed as soon as possible as even if he doesn't get another point in his final two games he is still going to finish his freshman year as a PPG player and top 25 (22nd) in points and top 10 (7th) in goals for the entire league. Even if you sign him and send him straight to Laval to play top minutes there he would benefit from the experience and may just be that extra piece to push Laval to the playoffs

54 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

I think the difference though is: will be he be ready to play next year.  Depends on what the team thinks.   If they truly believe he's ready, he'll get that ELC. 

If they think he needs more work (and that the NCAA is the place to do it) then he'll stay one more year.  

There's one grey area though:  whether he can play in the AHL.  Usually, to play in the AHL you need to be 20 at the start of the season (he wont turn 20 till next January ) and there are some exemptions for euro players but I *think* Cole is actually eligible to play in Laval next year based on this rule: "Any player that has reached the age of 19 before the beginning of a season that is of European born or American born that did not start his development in Major Junior may play. (NCAA dropouts, imported drafted Europeans, US developmental players)"

If he's indeed AHL eligible then i think the chance of him staying Montreal/Laval is quite high. 

13 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I think the difference though is: will be he be ready to play next year.  Depends on what the team thinks.   If they truly believe he's ready, he'll get that ELC. 

If they think he needs more work (and that the NCAA is the place to do it) then he'll stay one more year.  

There's one grey area though:  whether he can play in the AHL.  Usually, to play in the AHL you need to be 20 at the start of the season (he wont turn 20 till next January ) and there are some exemptions for euro players but I *think* Cole is actually eligible to play in Laval next year based on this rule: "Any player that has reached the age of 19 before the beginning of a season that is of European born or American born that did not start his development in Major Junior may play. (NCAA dropouts, imported drafted Europeans, US developmental players)"

If he's indeed AHL eligible then i think the chance of him staying Montreal/Laval is quite high. 

He was eligible to play this year in Laval it was one of four options laid out over the summer and talked about on this site can't remember which thread it was though. So yes he is currently eligible to play in the AHL

Caufield had an assist last night in a 3-2 win. Tonight is the final game of the regular season for UW Badgers.  Next weekend is the first round of the playoffs where UW is expected to have an early exit in their 3 game series.

Caufield with another assist tonight so far still 3 minutes to go in the third

Caufield finished his Freshman season with 19-17-36 totals and will now face Ohio State in a 3 game series from March 6-8. UW has a 2-1-1 record vs Ohio State this year.