The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Cole "Goal" Caufield

campabee82

You know,  campabee82, I think that we have been following CC's progression for the last few years.  Myself,  since the draft. Listening to the people with an educated opinion,  such as Granato & Bouchard,  they are so impressed with CC's development. Nobody is of the mindset,  that CC will not succeed.  This guy loves the game, and lives and breathes HOCKEY. It's gotta be hard for him to just watch the Habs floundering on the PP.  I think they need to use up the last call up, bench Staal, forego Evans for the last 10 games and put CC in. If they say, NO one player will make a difference,  then what does it matter?

43 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Rumour that CC may possibly be considered as an option to hopefully be dressed for Monday's game. Not holding my breath,  but if they wanted to, they could make it work. Fingers 🤞.

Yeah I have pretty much resigned to the fact that CC won't be in a game this year unless MB has absolutely no choice due to injuries. It is just sad that CC is sitting in the press box, I get he loves being with the team but he has not played a game in almost a month.

4 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Yeah I have pretty much resigned to the fact that CC won't be in a game this year unless MB has absolutely no choice due to injuries. It is just sad that CC is sitting in the press box, I get he loves being with the team but he has not played a game in almost a month.

I know game day is much different than practice,  but he is sure scoring some sweet goals in practice.  The kid absolutely,  loves the game.

2 hours ago, electron58 said:

Rumour that CC may possibly be considered as an option to hopefully be dressed for Monday's game. Not holding my breath,  but if they wanted to, they could make it work. Fingers 🤞.

The problem right now is cap.

With Drouin (and possibly Byron) injured, they can call up Caufield without having to use that 4th callup slot - it would be an emergency callup - but since no one is going on the LTIR, their cap hits will count and we dont have the cap space for CC, who has an ELC but also has bonuses that puts him up to $1.3m in cap space.

We're short on forwards so none of them are being waived/drop to the taxi squad. On defense everyone (except romanov) would have to clear waivers to go on the taxi squad.

But there is one small option - in net.

If they switch Primeau for Lindgren, they could then insert CC into the lineup. Assuming Allen is going to start the next few games, it may not be the worst option. 

1 hour ago, electron58 said:

I know game day is much different than practice,  but he is sure scoring some sweet goals in practice.  The kid absolutely,  loves the game.

He won't get that much time and space in the big show. I would love to see him in the lineup perhaps as a form of energy to motivate the veterans for support, but I think the Habs want to monitor his progression and not put too much pressure on him. Not sure there is much loss vs. another player of putting him on the scoresheet but our coaches like experience vs. taking risks.

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

With Drouin (and possibly Byron) injured, they can call up Caufield without having to use that 4th callup slot - it would be an emergency callup - but since no one is going on the LTIR, their cap hits will count and we dont have the cap space for CC, who has an ELC but also has bonuses that puts him up to $1.3m in cap space.

We're short on forwards so none of them are being waived/drop to the taxi squad. On defense everyone (except romanov) would have to clear waivers to go on the taxi squad.

If they switch Primeau for Lindgren, they could then insert CC into the lineup. Assuming Allen is going to start the next few games, it may not be the worst option. 

So, maas_art, you basically answered your own question.  Everyone seems to know that, except bergevin.  Maybe someone has to draw bergevin a picture with crayons. 

1 hour ago, electron58 said:

So, maas_art, you basically answered your own question.  Everyone seems to know that, except bergevin.  Maybe someone has to draw bergevin a picture with crayons. 

I dont think i asked a question? lol

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

I dont think i asked a question? lol

You are correct.  I couldn't find the question mark. But you nailed it on the head. They CAN get CC into a game. It's still a strong possibility,  it happens today. Otherwise,  what is wrong with bergevin? Can you imagine being the GM, of the biggest,  most colossal collapse in history? Is that going to be bergevin's legacy? To the angst of the Hab Fans Worldwide? I sure hope not. I guess that I want to still have hope. Am I setting myself up for disappointment?

44 minutes ago, electron58 said:

You are correct.  I couldn't find the question mark. But you nailed it on the head. They CAN get CC into a game. It's still a strong possibility,  it happens today. Otherwise,  what is wrong with bergevin? Can you imagine being the GM, of the biggest,  most colossal collapse in history? Is that going to be bergevin's legacy? To the angst of the Hab Fans Worldwide? I sure hope not. I guess that I want to still have hope. Am I setting myself up for disappointment?

OK good i thought i was losing it. haha.

I mean there have been worse collapses (I dont think we're quite at 07-08 Senators level yet) but its definitely looking grim.    I think the ONLY argument you could have for not dressing CC is that you worry it would be bad for his development - to come into a tire-fire and not be able to do anything but i would counter that by saying if that's true then send him to Laval.  Good winning atmosphere.  Keeping him around the big club to practice/live with but not play games doesn't really achieve what the think it does imho. 

4 hours ago, maas_art said:

Question, If they send Primeau down and call up Lindgren would we still be able to call up Caufield? I assume we could provided we use our last callup on Lindgren and an Emergency Callup on Caufield but that means CC has to go back down no matter how good he is playing once one of our forwards return, Correct?

1 hour ago, claremont said:

Emergency loan provisions - looks like Romanov on Taxi squad

More blown cap/roster management from Bergevin. Byron isn't playing and he's already cleared waivers. They could have easily papered him down to the taxi squad for tonight and saved sending Romanov down. Now, Romanov is sitting for a lesser defenceman and if they want to recall him, they'll need to use their last official recall on him (which means they can't officially recall Caufield/Evans/Poehling unless they continue to have a rash of injuries). Bergevin has blown so many of these roster moves, he looks like a rookie GM.

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

He looked fine for a first game playing with Dano and Tater put him out against some tough lines he looked good.

Did you see the play where he caused a turnover behind the net by pressuring Anderson (I beleive). It was hilarious, CC goes in skates pretty much under his arms shields the puck then gets it out front for a scoring chance. It looked like Caufield vs Weber in terms of size match up and CC came out with the puck.

11 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Here is the clip check out 7:17 of the video below to watch CC out muscle Anderson LMAO

Looked like Gallagher on that shift

I think I missed the outmuscle part . I was expecting 2 guys fighting for the puck and he comes out with it not a guy being pinned to the boards

2 hours ago, Regis22 said:

I think I missed the outmuscle part . I was expecting 2 guys fighting for the puck and he comes out with it not a guy being pinned to the boards

Haha. Yeah.   CC isnt going to win a lot of "Battles' but he's a smart player. If he makes it in this league its going to be because he has the vision to get into the right places to more or less avoid those "battles' and win out with smarts & shifty moves. 

59 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Haha. Yeah.   CC isnt going to win a lot of "Battles' but he's a smart player. If he makes it in this league its going to be because he has the vision to get into the right places to more or less avoid those "battles' and win out with smarts & shifty moves. 

He is going to make it the question will be how much will he be able to score? 25-30 goals would be nice if he can do more that's ok too. it will depend on how he gets used. he fit right in no problem last night he did not look lost at all he looked good next to Suzuki and Anderson too.

4 hours ago, Regis22 said:

He wasn't "PINNED" to the boards he braced himself against the boards with his hands and worked the puck loose with his feet. He out muscled Andersson by gaining inside position and not allowing Andersson to physically move him out of the way. There is more than one way to out muscle a guy, you don't have to go in and throw him to the ice to out work him. Anyway, he dug the puck out and helped set up a prime scoring chance for Tatar as a result.