The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Cole "Goal" Caufield

campabee82

I was pleasantly surprised at how well Caulfield played in his 1st game and he had the most shots on net last night on the Habs ...you can tell he's used to inferior goaltending because a couple were pretty low percentage attempts from down low but all in all the kid played ok and didn't look lost ...he'll be a quick study with his hockey IQ...

22 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

I was pleasantly surprised at how well Caulfield played in his 1st game and he had the most shots on net last night on the Habs ...you can tell he's used to inferior goaltending because a couple were pretty low percentage attempts from down low but all in all the kid played ok and didn't look lost ...he'll be a quick study with his hockey IQ...

I actually think you'll see him doing that a lot, even in the NHL. Guys with a quick release like that often just throw everything at the net.  Getting a guy on his line to go to the net would be really useful. 

After watching most of our forwards pass the puck around when we get in the offensive zone it is nice to see someone who shoots the puck. On of the reasons we cannot score is we refuse to shoot and attack the net for rebounds. If the kid keeps shooting his linemates will need to attack the net for the rebounds. What a revelation. Tatar was invisible last night and so was Danault so good on the kid. he was shooting from some tough angles and will stop a lot of goalies from trying to cheat with him on the ice.

Ya know, from what I've seen, it seems most of the Habs pass the puck around looking for the perfect shot, while CC just shoots from anywhere. Nice to see, and that's prolly why he scores so many goals. 

11 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Ya know, from what I've seen, it seems most of the Habs pass the puck around looking for the perfect shot, while CC just shoots from anywhere. Nice to see, and that's prolly why he scores so many goals. 

A lot of the top scores shoot at all angles. Brett Hull was quoted several times saying he didn't really aim just tried to get his shot off as quickly as possible. Don't let the goaltender get set. 

I hope they do not bench him for not scoring yet in two games. Or start complaining about him because he is to small. And easily get pinned against the boards ..LOL

He is looking better each shift. 

And , he leads the team in Corsi for 61.5%, :)

5 minutes ago, caperns61 said:

I hope they do not bench him for not scoring yet in two games. Or start complaining about him because he is to small. And easily get pinned against the boards ..LOL

He is looking better each shift. 

And , he leads the team in Corsi for 61.5%, :)

im pretty sure, based on those 2 games, the coaches are happy. He didnt score but he looked good and definitely not out of place. I think Anderson was maybe the only forward who was better than him over the 2 games he's played. 

The goals will come. He's getting the linemates & ice time so thats a good sign.

Well from first line to second and now practicing on the third......... not looking good the coaching of this team is a joke! and lets not even begin with the asset management! we are not as bad as we are playing but we are not going to do much one way or  the other with how this team is being run!

16 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Well from first line to second and now practicing on the third......... not looking good the coaching of this team is a joke! and lets not even begin with the asset management! we are not as bad as we are playing but we are not going to do much one way or  the other with how this team is being run!

Ducharme is just trying to find some rhythm. I personally think its the wrong plan (switching lines so much) - Id like to see them make 4 lines and stick with them for a bit - but im frankly more concerned with Kotkaniemi at LW on Danault's line than CC on the "third"  

Im also surprised we havent seen JK-CC together - that was always the pairing they seemed to be projecting for the future... 

36 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Ducharme is just trying to find some rhythm. I personally think its the wrong plan (switching lines so much) - Id like to see them make 4 lines and stick with them for a bit - but im frankly more concerned with Kotkaniemi at LW on Danault's line than CC on the "third"  

Im also surprised we havent seen JK-CC together - that was always the pairing they seemed to be projecting for the future... 

Yeah it is hard to say what is going on behind closed doors thats for sure! I understand the team is hurting right now Gally is more than just the soul of the team he is a true 30 goal man and for a team that is having an issue scoring that hurts

4 hours ago, maas_art said:

I don't mind Ducharme trying to find rhythm. This has been a long season and trying to keep these guys interested is likely a challenge. I understand trying to set up Caufield for success, but if this guy is truly capable of playing at this level, he needs to be exposed to multiple situations including 3rd line. He is also getting power play time so it's not a huge restriction. I am not reading too much into this.  

4 hours ago, maas_art said:

Agreed. At this point in the season, the Habs need to be building lines or at least duos that they want to use heading into the playoffs. In the post-season, they can recall as many players as they want, so if Tatar, Byron, Gallagher, and/or Drouin are back, then Evans and Caufield remain available. If/when healthy, I'd like to see us head into the post-season looking at Kotkaniemi-Caufield too, so I'd wonder about something like this...

Drouin-Suzuki-Anderson

Toffoli-Kotkaniemi-Caufield

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher

Lehkonen-Evans-Armia

But if Drouin remains out, then I'd actually look at moving Caufield onto a line with Anderson and sticking him on the left of Suzuki (who naturally passes that way being a righty). So something like

Caufield-Suzuki-Anderson

Toffoli-Kotkaniemi-Armia

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher

Byron-Evans-Lehkonen

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

if Drouin remains out, then I'd actually look at moving Caufield onto a line with Anderson and sticking him on the left of Suzuki (who naturally passes that way being a righty). So something like

I actually think Cole may end up as a LW.  Ive watched him for a while & he seems to naturally slide to the left.  We've seen some great right handed goal scorers play LW (and left handed shooters play RW) depending upon how they release the shot & see the ice. The Rocket was a LHS who played RW as was Jagr. I believe Andreychuk was a RHS but played primarily LW and so did Recchi. 

I still feel like Suzuki - CC may be a better fit based on how they see the ice, although JK/CC seems more natural from a positional sense. 

17 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Tony Granato (Coach of the Badgers) said that Cole is a lot like DeBrincat of Chi. and he has 219 PTs. in 280 games.

What a fitting first goal for Cole! Need the win in a gutsy comeback in OT!? Cue Cole! Nice that Perry scooped the puck before Brady took a page from Matthew's book! The celebration in the corner after the goal shows just how tight knit this team is.

45 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

What a fitting first goal for Cole! Need the win in a gutsy comeback in OT!? Cue Cole! Nice that Perry scooped the puck before Brady took a page from Matthew's book! The celebration in the corner after the goal shows just how tight knit this team is.

Yeah they were really happy for the kid, boy he is going to be good.

8 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Yeah they were really happy for the kid, boy he is going to be good.

I agree I think he is going to be really good as well. Yes Petry made a wonderful play, but pure goal scores know how to get to the right areas and he did that last night. 

Toffu does it but his skating is a factor, with CC that is not going to be an issue. 

6 hours ago, electron58 said:

Didn't really notice,  but CC didnt play the last 7 minutes?  When they needed a goal?  He was wide open so many times last game!

Correct - I suspect Ducharme just wants to keep some confidence and not have last minute breakdowns for the kid. 

What I noticed in overtime was Montreal keeping possession almost the entire time and changing players on the fly ....Petry had enough time on the bench to get a breather ( luckily after Chiarot gave the puck away ) and  was right back out there to set up the winning goal ...looks like they finally figured something out 

53 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

What I noticed in overtime was Montreal keeping possession almost the entire time and changing players on the fly ....Petry had enough time on the bench to get a breather ( luckily after Chiarot gave the puck away ) and  was right back out there to set up the winning goal ...looks like they finally figured something out 

Yeah 9 0.T. losses too late lol. Too bad it took so long as we could have been comfortably in the playoff race with say 3-5 more wins.

1 hour ago, HabsRuleForever said:

Cole with another OT goal!

38 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

This Kid!

Only  rookie to score 2 B2B OT goals in history of NHL