The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Jonathan Drouin

ramcharger440

• 1 month later...

I don't think i'd agree with us making a deal with Seattle to take JD. I imagine he'd have trade value\ rather then just letting him go and adding something on top of that. That would be horrible asset management IMO. The cap room alone is not enough incentive to go that route.

30 minutes ago, HabsRuleForever said:

Has there been any update on him since he took his leave of absence?

Nope.  Ducharme said he talks to him every couple of days but thats about it. Still wishing him the best. Sucks he isnt around for the ride. 

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

Nope.  Ducharme said he talks to him every couple of days but thats about it. Still wishing him the best. Sucks he isnt around for the ride. 

1 hour ago, ChiLla said:

Just imagine we had a healthy Drouin on top of his game in the lineup... who's going to sit for him?

The fact he's not even around the team, doesn't attend games, didn't come out to celebrate last night suggests that he's really removed himself from the team and playing hockey. Have to believe there's a serious issue here. You have to feel for the guy. So much talent, but obviously something much deeper-rooted and more important here at play. I can't remember another guy stepping away for an undisclosed reason at such a young age.

• 1 month later...

So.....what are we expecting here? is he really coming back to the Habs? if so will he be on his game? will he get any slack from the crowd? I don't know if it would be better for him to move on from here or not? in some ways if he does he might feel like a failure but if he stays he may actually become one? this guy when he is on has elite talent but we don't see that much of it night in night out. I for one will be very interested to see what he brings this year, you never know it may blow us away.

3 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

So.....what are we expecting here? is he really coming back to the Habs? if so will he be on his game? will he get any slack from the crowd? I don't know if it would be better for him to move on from here or not? in some ways if he does he might feel like a failure but if he stays he may actually become one? this guy when he is on has elite talent but we don't see that much of it night in night out. I for one will be very interested to see what he brings this year, you never know it may blow us away.

He was actually having a good season last year. Great passing and his defensive end had improved greatly. With a line up of better line mates within the team should be a lot less pressure. 

7 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

He was actually having a good season last year. Great passing and his defensive end had improved greatly. With a line up of better line mates within the team should be a lot less pressure. 

Yeah I agree he was playing pretty good for a bit there he was not scoring but he had a good amount of assists and he was more involved especially after the coaching change. I just wonder if his teamates and him will still mesh after he was gone for so long.

1 hour ago, rkgoalie said:

he is too high needs imo, i say trade him if someone wants him,high end skill but to soft of a player for me

I agree, but he is worth nothing right now I feel like we need to play him and hope he plays well enough to raise his value if that is possible. I just don't think the team or his teamates feel he is reliable now whatever he went through is personal and that's fine but a team really needs to be able to count on it's assets when it counts like a long playoff run.......

I think we need to cut this guy some slack . When he left last year he was playing well and more defensively responsible .  I don't really care to know  his personal reasons but it had to be serious enough for him to leave and the organization has respected his privacy and kept mum on the subject . I want to see him play one more full season with the new guys before I pass judgment . He's still young and I wish him well outside of hockey . 

1 hour ago, arpem-can said:

I think we need to cut this guy some slack . When he left last year he was playing well and more defensively responsible .  I don't really care to know  his personal reasons but it had to be serious enough for him to leave and the organization has respected his privacy and kept mum on the subject . I want to see him play one more full season with the new guys before I pass judgment . He's still young and I wish him well outside of hockey . 

^^ This - we are far too judgmental on slips in performance vs. our expectations. 

45 minutes ago, claremont said:

^^ This - we are far too judgmental on slips in performance vs. our expectations. 

Funny at my place of work a slip in performance is met with a lot of flak! I don't have any reason to give this guy a break I would not get myself? he is not a rookie he is not underpaid he has to get the job done otherwise what is the point? this team has ever right to expect it's players to deliver 100% every game and in years past he did not do that yes he was a bit better last year before he left but it is still not enough when you consider what we gave up for him. now that is not all his fault for sure but the fact is he has to do better.

5 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Funny at my place of work a slip in performance is met with a lot of flak! I don't have any reason to give this guy a break I would not get myself? he is not a rookie he is not underpaid he has to get the job done otherwise what is the point? this team has ever right to expect it's players to deliver 100% every game and in years past he did not do that yes he was a bit better last year before he left but it is still not enough when you consider what we gave up for him. now that is not all his fault for sure but the fact is he has to do better.

So at your work if the slip in performance is due to mental health, Depression, family issues, or substance / alcohol abuse, the flak / ridicule occurs and there are no second chances - throw the baby out? That’s my point on judge and jury harshness 

Now if it’s lack of effort, laziness or overrated talent that cannot be trained by the employer / coaching then I understand your perspective. 
The absence reasons by Drouin has to be pretty severe for him to leave and not rejoin the team at the pinnacle of playoff success - until we know that, my view is he deserves a chance for rebound or explanation before being tossed for distraction or low trade value in return 

2 hours ago, claremont said:

So at your work if the slip in performance is due to mental health, Depression, family issues, or substance / alcohol abuse, the flak / ridicule occurs and there are no second chances - throw the baby out? That’s my point on judge and jury harshness 

Now if it’s lack of effort, laziness or overrated talent that cannot be trained by the employer / coaching then I understand your perspective. 
The absence reasons by Drouin has to be pretty severe for him to leave and not rejoin the team at the pinnacle of playoff success - until we know that, my view is he deserves a chance for rebound or explanation before being tossed for distraction or low trade value in return 

Uh yeah, that has been my experience in my life at work. most places don't care what is up if you don't perform it is on to the next person one way or another. it is not like his issues are just last year he has never lived up to the hype that his talent saddles him with and he has been lazy on ice plenty of times. Personally I don't really want to waste anymore time on this player but we don't have a choice as he has no value right now. And as a fan I can be as judgmental as please or not.

18 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Uh yeah, that has been my experience in my life at work. most places don't care what is up if you don't perform it is on to the next person one way or another. it is not like his issues are just last year he has never lived up to the hype that his talent saddles him with and he has been lazy on ice plenty of times. Personally I don't really want to waste anymore time on this player but we don't have a choice as he has no value right now. And as a fan I can be as judgmental as please or not.

JD has basically disappeared, every time the Habs needed him the most. He's used up his 9 lives. Time to cut ties. I hope he does better with his next team. End of story.

Have actually had people under my employ that had problems due to mental health. Actually pleased to say that they got the help and council that they needed . Remained and improved their work performance. Not sure how we could not afford Drouin the same treatment. Last time I checked it was 2021. 

8 hours ago, tony5775 said:

Have actually had people under my employ that had problems due to mental health. Actually pleased to say that they got the help and council that they needed . Remained and improved their work performance. Not sure how we could not afford Drouin the same treatment. Last time I checked it was 2021. 

Just saying this is a performance based team sport everyone should get a chance to show what they can do up to a point. as a team we have some great young players starting to take up roster spots and some top quality vets who can get the job done on the wings. Drouin did not work out at center which was no great surprise so he got swapped back to wing he has never really done what we expected of him which is ok too perhaps he is just what he is and that is as good as he gets. The issue is for his cost we have players who now can produce at his level at least if not more and we have needs elsewhere so what do we do? keep a player who has skill and potential or keep players who deliver more on a more constant basis and use his salary to hopefully get help on D. He seems like a nice kid he has a ton of talent but we just don't see enough of it and I would rather move him to improve the team than have him take a spot and roster money we can use to get even better.

Drouin is no Nathan MacKinnon, this much is evident by now. But he is still a young, talented winger, and only slightly over paid. When we got him the expectations were through the roof, with zero talent to surround him with. Clearly he’s not a play driver, but when he’s had good linemates he’s been productive. I want to see what he looks like with Zuks and Caufield. I’m not opposed to trading him, but he’s not a write off just yet, IMO.

11 hours ago, tony5775 said:

Last time I checked no one knows what his issues are except Drouin and the team. To say it's his mental health is pure speculation.

I thougt JD really made Josh Andersons game better last year. Even though he didn't score he had assists. When JD left I thought Josh's game slipped considerably. These guys do have chemistry together. Lets all not panic here wanting to trade him just yet. They deserve a full season together. But this just maybe his last chance.