The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Jonathan Drouin

ramcharger440

27 minutes ago, xxdocxx said:

I thougt JD really made Josh Andersons game better last year. Even though he didn't score he had assists. When JD left I thought Josh's game slipped considerably. These guys do have chemistry together. Lets all not panic here wanting to trade him just yet. They deserve a full season together. But this just maybe his last chance.

I thought the same thing. As much as I’d like to see him on a line with Suzuki and Caufield, him with Anderson and Kotkaneimi would also be worth a look.

12 hours ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Drouin is no Nathan MacKinnon, this much is evident by now. But he is still a young, talented winger, and only slightly over paid. When we got him the expectations were through the roof, with zero talent to surround him with. Clearly he’s not a play driver, but when he’s had good linemates he’s been productive. I want to see what he looks like with Zuks and Caufield. I’m not opposed to trading him, but he’s not a write off just yet, IMO.

Drouin has always been surrounded by good line mates. He's been given every opportunity to succeed. (unlike some other player who is no longer with the team) I'm with ramcharger440.  Time to move on. He needs a fresh start, with no home town pressure.  It's not like that pressure is just going to disappear. It's not like he is going to start playing lights out.  Glimpses of his potential are not reason enough to keep him. Package him for a right D prospect with potential. He's past his due date.

18 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Drouin has always been surrounded by good line mates. He's been given every opportunity to succeed. (unlike some other player who is no longer with the team) I'm with ramcharger440.  Time to move on. He needs a fresh start, with no home town pressure.  It's not like that pressure is just going to disappear. It's not like he is going to start playing lights out.  Glimpses of his potential are not reason enough to keep him. Package him for a right D prospect with potential. He's past his due date.

Firstly, he’s not exactly worth anything in a trade right now. There’s no packaging him with anything to get a good asset back. More likely we’d have to package him with a good prospect just to get someone to give us a bag of pucks. Too many questions about what’s going on with him ATM. I do think we might see a trade before the deadline, but only if he can show he can still play.

But also, list off for me some of these top 6 all stars that he’s had as linemates all these years. High end skill is something we’ve be devoid of for many, many years

3 hours ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Firstly, he’s not exactly worth anything in a trade right now. There’s no packaging him with anything to get a good asset back. More likely we’d have to package him with a good prospect just to get someone to give us a bag of pucks. Too many questions about what’s going on with him ATM. I do think we might see a trade before the deadline, but only if he can show he can still play.

But also, list off for me some of these top 6 all stars that he’s had as linemates all these years. High end skill is something we’ve be devoid of for many, many years

You're right.  He's not worth anything in a trade right now. The team improves by getting rid of him. So, to find out his line mates is a little tricky. I know, that he was always on the first PP unit. Which is saying something.

2020-2021 he was with Suzuki & Anderson

2019-2020 he was with Domi & Armia

2018-2019 he was with Domi & Shaw

2017-2018 he was with ??? no definitive answer.  Anybody know?

So they got him to be a center and run the power play. Don't think that's worked out too well. And when they needed him to produce during the homestretch a couple of years ago for the Habs to make the playoffs, he was basically invisible and produced nothing in 18 games. He is a defensive liability. He is basically everything bergevin does not want in a player. So go figure.

I anticipate Drouin will be in Montreal to start the season.

If he remains with the team for the duration of the season...? I am not so sure.

I remember him performing well with Suzuki and Anderson early last season. No idea why he had a leave of absence from the team, but hopefully the situation has been resolved and he can come into the 2021-22 season full focused and ready to go.

On 8/27/2021 at 2:57 AM, electron58 said:

You're right.  He's not worth anything in a trade right now. The team improves by getting rid of him. So, to find out his line mates is a little tricky. I know, that he was always on the first PP unit. Which is saying something.

2020-2021 he was with Suzuki & Anderson

2019-2020 he was with Domi & Armia

2018-2019 he was with Domi & Shaw

2017-2018 he was with ??? no definitive answer.  Anybody know?

So they got him to be a center and run the power play. Don't think that's worked out too well. And when they needed him to produce during the homestretch a couple of years ago for the Habs to make the playoffs, he was basically invisible and produced nothing in 18 games. He is a defensive liability. He is basically everything bergevin does not want in a player. So go figure.

Right, so basically he’s scores points at a rate of just over half a point per game, pretty consistently throughout his career.  Nothing spectacular, but it usually leaves him around top three in scoring on our team. That’s playing with Domi/Shaw, Domi/Armia, and I agree, hard to put my finger on his linemates from his first year with us. We know Danault and Gallagher were together, who was on their left? Was it Pacioretty? Galcenyk? Lehkonen? Byron? I’m sure Drouin’s linemates were two of those four. Now I’m not knocking any of these players, but none of them have a history of being more than middle six forwards at best, save for Pacioretty. 

Yes, Drouin was on the first power play unit. He was almost exclusively burdened with the task of entering the zone, as he was the only player we had capable of handling the puck at high speeds. And as we’ve seen with Weber’s big shot, when all you have is one weapon, it’s easy for other teams to zero in on it. 
So in summary, year 1 we tried to shoehorn him into a position that he hadn’t played since jr. Year 2 we moved him back to wing, paired him up with Domi/Shaw and the were arguably our best line. Year 3 replaced Shaw with Armia (might have seen Byron/Lehk’s in there as well), still looked pretty good to start the season until he broke his wrist (I’ll circle back to that one). Year 4, started him with Zukes and Anderson, and again, aside from the lack of goals, looked really good. Seemed to have worked on some of his defensive deficiencies, was forechecking well. As someone else mentioned, Anderson’s production slipped once Drouin was out, I don’t think that’s a coincidence. 
You mentioned his playoff push disappearing act from a couple seasons ago, was that the playoff bubble year? Same season he broke his wrist? I broke my finger around that same time, just before Christmas. First break for me, very minor fracture. I was surprised how long it took to get movement back in it, it’s still not 100%. Now a whole lot of what Drouin does is in his wrist. He doesn’t bat at pucks, he doesn’t blast them from the blue line, it’s all in the wrist for him. Is it all that surprising that even though the bone might have been healed, perhaps getting his hands to work like they used to required considerably more rehab? Given my recent experience, IMO, it’s reasonable to think it had something do with it. And even still he put up 7 points in 10 games that post season.

I’m not the worlds biggest “Drouin Fan Boy”. I don’t own his jersey. I won’t lose any sleep if and when we trade him. But we are definitely a better team with him than without him. It would be silly to trade him for nothing, let alone pay someone to take him just to clear up salary. Especially with no obvious need for the salary space. Whatever it was that happened to him last year, I wish it didn’t. Or at least that it would have cleared itself up in time for the playoffs, because having Drouin in the lineup for the playoffs could have been a real boost. Just to have him in the finals would have been great. To see him head to head with Sergachev. That would have added a nice touch to it all.

Bottom line, he’s a slightly overpaid top six forward (by about $1 mill) with a tendency to rely to heavily on the “no look, drop pass”. He’s not a lazy player, and he doesn’t seem to have attitude issues. Who knows, maybe with players as skilled as Suzuki and Caufield, they’ll be good enough to anticipate those drop passes and be where they need to be to take advantage of them..?

Who knows, I just hate to see some players take more crap than they deserve, while others just float by with little to no criticisms 

2 hours ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Right, so basically he’s scores points at a rate of just over half a point per game, pretty consistently throughout his career.  Nothing spectacular, but it usually leaves him around top three in scoring on our team. That’s playing with Domi/Shaw, Domi/Armia, and I agree, hard to put my finger on his linemates from his first year with us. We know Danault and Gallagher were together, who was on their left? Was it Pacioretty? Galcenyk? Lehkonen? Byron? I’m sure Drouin’s linemates were two of those four. Now I’m not knocking any of these players, but none of them have a history of being more than middle six forwards at best, save for Pacioretty. 

Yes, Drouin was on the first power play unit. He was almost exclusively burdened with the task of entering the zone, as he was the only player we had capable of handling the puck at high speeds. And as we’ve seen with Weber’s big shot, when all you have is one weapon, it’s easy for other teams to zero in on it. 
So in summary, year 1 we tried to shoehorn him into a position that he hadn’t played since jr. Year 2 we moved him back to wing, paired him up with Domi/Shaw and the were arguably our best line. Year 3 replaced Shaw with Armia (might have seen Byron/Lehk’s in there as well), still looked pretty good to start the season until he broke his wrist (I’ll circle back to that one). Year 4, started him with Zukes and Anderson, and again, aside from the lack of goals, looked really good. Seemed to have worked on some of his defensive deficiencies, was forechecking well. As someone else mentioned, Anderson’s production slipped once Drouin was out, I don’t think that’s a coincidence. 
You mentioned his playoff push disappearing act from a couple seasons ago, was that the playoff bubble year? Same season he broke his wrist? I broke my finger around that same time, just before Christmas. First break for me, very minor fracture. I was surprised how long it took to get movement back in it, it’s still not 100%. Now a whole lot of what Drouin does is in his wrist. He doesn’t bat at pucks, he doesn’t blast them from the blue line, it’s all in the wrist for him. Is it all that surprising that even though the bone might have been healed, perhaps getting his hands to work like they used to required considerably more rehab? Given my recent experience, IMO, it’s reasonable to think it had something do with it. And even still he put up 7 points in 10 games that post season.

I’m not the worlds biggest “Drouin Fan Boy”. I don’t own his jersey. I won’t lose any sleep if and when we trade him. But we are definitely a better team with him than without him. It would be silly to trade him for nothing, let alone pay someone to take him just to clear up salary. Especially with no obvious need for the salary space. Whatever it was that happened to him last year, I wish it didn’t. Or at least that it would have cleared itself up in time for the playoffs, because having Drouin in the lineup for the playoffs could have been a real boost. Just to have him in the finals would have been great. To see him head to head with Sergachev. That would have added a nice touch to it all.

Bottom line, he’s a slightly overpaid top six forward (by about $1 mill) with a tendency to rely to heavily on the “no look, drop pass”. He’s not a lazy player, and he doesn’t seem to have attitude issues. Who knows, maybe with players as skilled as Suzuki and Caufield, they’ll be good enough to anticipate those drop passes and be where they need to be to take advantage of them..?

Who knows, I just hate to see some players take more crap than they deserve, while others just float by with little to no criticisms 

So, it was 2018-2019, when the Habs were making a push for the playoffs,  and just barely missed them. This is when Drouin disappeared.  2019-2020 is when he injured his wrist and missed a bunch of games. Yes, he does get a few points, but his minus stats are always leading the Habs, and not in a good way. I just think he's had an excessive number of chances. Now we have a KK problem.  I say  let him walk!

On 8/30/2021 at 10:06 PM, Habberwacky said:

Drouin appears to have secured the number two centre spot and I hope he comes back and takes it. Suzuki, Drouin and Evans look like the top 3 but it would not hurt to have a little insurance.

Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

3 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

I hate to defend him but he did actually backcheck a couple of times last season...

haha.

Actually his defensive game was not a problem at all last year.  Effort was good too.  He had serious finishing problems and obviously something outside of hockey seemed to be a problem too.

I don't think we'll try him at centre but if we did, i wouldnt be surprised at all to see him do well there... if he cuts out the blind back passes as H-T-L pointed out!

29 minutes ago, maas_art said:

haha.

Actually his defensive game was not a problem at all last year.  Effort was good too.  He had serious finishing problems and obviously something outside of hockey seemed to be a problem too.

I don't think we'll try him at centre but if we did, i wouldnt be surprised at all to see him do well there... if he cuts out the blind back passes as H-T-L pointed out!

He was a lot better last year it was a shame he had to leave he looked like he might be getting his game together.

Jonathan Drouin said he expects to play center for the Montreal Canadiens this season.

"It looks that way for sure," Drouin told the Montreal Gazette for a story published Monday. "I don't make those decisions, but that's where I played last year and I feel comfortable coming in this year and knowing that I'm playing center."

article: https://www.nhl.com/news/jonathan-drouin-prepared-to-play-center-for-canadiens/c-299691190

Did he actually play much center last season - or does he still have "issues"?

7 minutes ago, rocketbelifleur said:

Jonathan Drouin said he expects to play center for the Montreal Canadiens this season.

"It looks that way for sure," Drouin told the Montreal Gazette for a story published Monday. "I don't make those decisions, but that's where I played last year and I feel comfortable coming in this year and knowing that I'm playing center."

article: https://www.nhl.com/news/jonathan-drouin-prepared-to-play-center-for-canadiens/c-299691190

Did he actually play much center last season - or does he still have "issues"?

I dont think he played more than a shift or two there tbh.  But I think he might have meant something else - like "last year" meaning the year before (although actually it was 2 years ago but...)  I dont know...