Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kinot-2

Don Cherry Has Been Fired

52 posts in this topic

Just one word, YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Just one word, YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Party time

Don't mean to Cherry pick but I think this thread is a little redundant. As much as I enjoyed some of his insights on hockey his incites on Canada left a lot to be desired. He may become a less popular part of our Remembrance Day thoughts and I thought he should have been gone along time ago. Now Sportsnet will need to get the next biggest Leaf fan to takeover. Or should it be the turn of an insightful Quebecois to tell the Leaf fan how wrong they are, A truly great day for the NHL, CBC(if possible) and Ron Maclean who can now focus on his poetic musings about the game). Hopefully Cherry takes with him some of these visions from our past as they are truly no use to anyone. Especially if your are trying to promote sport in our country. Politics and sport tend not to mix. Cherry will need to run for office now, or is he too toxic for Ford?

Edited by Habberwacky

Firing Cherry on Remembrance Day..........well done SN! You couldn't wait one day, I guess the extra media attention was worth more than any false decency effort.

As a veteran I am used to politicians treating me and my ilk as pieces of #@% to be paraded in front of the cameras for photo ops and to be ignored until we were required to go in harm's way so that they could brag that Canada's sons and daughters were dying to promote Canada on the world stage. Cherry understood that.

I did not like Cherry as a hockey commentator, the game had evolved beyond his understanding, but the networks used him until he was deemed expendable, I understand that but I refuse to cheer when anyone loses their job in such a public manner. He should have been eased out years ago.

23 minutes ago, RCAF48 said:

Firing Cherry on Remembrance Day..........well done SN! You couldn't wait one day, I guess the extra media attention was worth more than any false decency effort.

As a veteran I am used to politicians treating me and my ilk as pieces of #@% to be paraded in front of the cameras for photo ops and to be ignored until we were required to go in harm's way so that they could brag that Canada's sons and daughters were dying to promote Canada on the world stage. Cherry understood that.

I did not like Cherry as a hockey commentator, the game had evolved beyond his understanding, but the networks used him until he was deemed expendable, I understand that but I refuse to cheer when anyone loses their job in such a public manner. He should have been eased out years ago.

He did it to himself by promoting his racist views on the public airwaves I say goodbye and good riddance. While I do not consider myself a vet as I did not get deployed I too was in the military and see how our troops get treated and am disgraced with it however by spreading hos hateful messages he is disrespecting every person who ever donned the uniform for this great country and fought to stop racism and earn us our rights and freedom'sthat we all covet so much. 

Cherry also has done a lot for service men fire fighters police officers ect. Not to many sports host even mention actual individuals like he always did. I also think he was more generalizing with what he said not specifically going after immigrants. I think he was overall upset with the vast majority whom take the armed services for granted because it usually doesn't directly effect them. I actually have always looked forward to his show because though I don't always agree with him he has called out the NHL Bettman ect. on issues , when most host may think it but not be willing to say it. Was he a homer for Toronto or Boston and every Canadian that has ever played, but no more than Milbury or others. on other shows.

Finally I will say as an American we have a president that says 100 times worse everyday about a wide range of people and groups. We can disagree yes but there were no actually racist slurs ect. So we are now insinuating what another individual meant and so we are now censoring what was once called free speech this is as slippery slope! 

18 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

Cherry also has done a lot for service men fire fighters police officers ect. Not to many sports host even mention actual individuals like he always did. I also think he was more generalizing with what he said not specifically going after immigrants. I think he was overall upset with the vast majority whom take the armed services for granted because it usually doesn't directly effect them. I actually have always looked forward to his show because though I don't always agree with him he has called out the NHL Bettman ect. on issues , when most host may think it but not be willing to say it. Was he a homer for Toronto or Boston and every Canadian that has ever played, but no more than Milbury or others. on other shows.

Finally I will say as an American we have a president that says 100 times worse everyday about a wide range of people and groups. We can disagree yes but there were no actually racist slurs ect. So we are now insinuating what another individual meant and so we are now censoring what was once called free speech this is as slippery slope! 

I hear you but he has done stuff like this before, the timing was not great but it is what it is he is a hockey comentator that is what the sponsors were paying him to do if he had stuck with that he would still have a job. he has his opinion he can share it if he wants to but the folks that pay the bill get to chose what he says on the show, it is not like it's the news.

17 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

Except that Sportsnet and Rogers both apologise for his "Divisive" comments. Saying they don't share his views. When he used the term "you people that come here" he was being as racist as anyone in history they referred to African Americans, or Jewish people, or Muslums as "you people". It's inexcusable in this day and age to us racial comments period. Our military, the ones that he says he supports by wearing a poppy fought to oppress these kinds of divisive views. We lost hundreds of thousands of soldiers during both WW's trying to free Jewish from the tearany of the German Regime. Even if he just miss spoke it's unacceptable however when he refused to apologize for his comments that told me he meant every word as interpreted by the public otherwise he would have tried to clear the misconception. Like I said before Goodbye and Good Riddance 

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

Except that Sportsnet and Rogers both apologise for his "Divisive" comments. Saying they don't share his views. When he used the term "you people that come here" he was being as racist as anyone in history they referred to African Americans, or Jewish people, or Muslums as "you people". It's inexcusable in this day and age to us racial comments period. Our military, the ones that he says he supports by wearing a poppy fought to oppress these kinds of divisive views. We lost hundreds of thousands of soldiers during both WW's trying to free Jewish from the tearany of the German Regime. Even if he just miss spoke it's unacceptable however when he refused to apologize for his comments that told me he meant every word as interpreted by the public otherwise he would have tried to clear the misconception. Like I said before Goodbye and Good Riddance 

I had to laugh when Cherry pointed his finger at "you people who come here". Hell, most people from here don't wear a poppy. 

2 hours ago, campabee82 said:

I will say now it will make it easy to get up get a drink or switch to another game during the intermission. Cherry was the only real reason to watch any of the intermission which is where the sponsors get most of their advertising.

Here's my take on Cherry... hockey-wise, he represents a portion of fans who love the old-school game and I don't share his viewpoint but I accept that some people do and that he was popular for that. I don't think his viewpoints would have flown if he had come on the air as a new commentator in the past few years, but hockey builds itself around tradition and he certainly had a reputation and an allure to the network as a result. It's been pretty clear that CBC and Sportsnet have hung onto him despite his falling relevance and the fact that he's been politically incorrect many times before.

So why the difference this time? The backlash. Enough people finally got fed up of him at the same time and called him out on it. It became bad PR for Sportsnet to ignore it, so they finally decided not to. I don't think this was a morality decision for Sportsnet, I think it was a business one, so not sure I hold much respect for them in that regard.

As for Cherry himself, he's made it pretty clear he doesn't think he did anything wrong and that he's not sorry. And therein lies a lot of the problem. I don't think Cherry believes he's racist, I don't think he's overtly trying to make life difficult for minorities or immigrants or women or so on. But he has a set of beliefs that Canadians are better than anyone else and that hockey is a man's sport and that all players should be white and tough and so on. Those views are antiquated to begin with, and unjustly wrong on top of that, but they are views that were widely accepted when Cherry broke into the NHL so he just doesn't see why those views should have to change.

In any case, it's clear there's no place for that type of viewpoint on television in today's world. There really shouldn't be room for that viewpoint in any facet of life. And it's not just that he came out with the "you people" this time around, it's that everyone knows the "you people" comes from a place where he means that, where he looks down on immigrants and people of other ethnicities and where he was specifically talking about that sector of our society as being the problem. Sure, standing up for veterans is noble and we can agree with someone on that point without feeling the need to denigrate others as part of the message. Cherry went out of his way to target a demographic he doesn't like and it was high time behavior like that was put to an end.

I haven't watched Cherry in ages and I don't even watch games in English any more because of the Leaf homer calls you get from most of the broacasters, but it's high time there was a change. Hopefully Sportsnet finds someone who is more progressive and doesn't just stick a Milbury or Burke or someone in that seat. Hopefully it's not a Pierre McGuire, who may not be racist but whose views on hockey are also antiquated and nonsensical. Whatever the move, it won't please everyone, as evidenced by that lowlife Kevin Paul Dupont of the Boston Globe, who tweeted that having an analytics guy would be worse than Cherry's racism. Again, just goes to show you that there will always be self-righteous idiots in hockey culture who support Cherry in not taking this seriously, and it's not just Cherry, it's that entire culture that has to go.

37 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Here's my take on Cherry... hockey-wise, he represents a portion of fans who love the old-school game and I don't share his viewpoint but I accept that some people do and that he was popular for that. I don't think his viewpoints would have flown if he had come on the air as a new commentator in the past few years, but hockey builds itself around tradition and he certainly had a reputation and an allure to the network as a result. It's been pretty clear that CBC and Sportsnet have hung onto him despite his falling relevance and the fact that he's been politically incorrect many times before.

So why the difference this time? The backlash. Enough people finally got fed up of him at the same time and called him out on it. It became bad PR for Sportsnet to ignore it, so they finally decided not to. I don't think this was a morality decision for Sportsnet, I think it was a business one, so not sure I hold much respect for them in that regard.

As for Cherry himself, he's made it pretty clear he doesn't think he did anything wrong and that he's not sorry. And therein lies a lot of the problem. I don't think Cherry believes he's racist, I don't think he's overtly trying to make life difficult for minorities or immigrants or women or so on. But he has a set of beliefs that Canadians are better than anyone else and that hockey is a man's sport and that all players should be white and tough and so on. Those views are antiquated to begin with, and unjustly wrong on top of that, but they are views that were widely accepted when Cherry broke into the NHL so he just doesn't see why those views should have to change.

In any case, it's clear there's no place for that type of viewpoint on television in today's world. There really shouldn't be room for that viewpoint in any facet of life. And it's not just that he came out with the "you people" this time around, it's that everyone knows the "you people" comes from a place where he means that, where he looks down on immigrants and people of other ethnicities and where he was specifically talking about that sector of our society as being the problem. Sure, standing up for veterans is noble and we can agree with someone on that point without feeling the need to denigrate others as part of the message. Cherry went out of his way to target a demographic he doesn't like and it was high time behavior like that was put to an end.

I haven't watched Cherry in ages and I don't even watch games in English any more because of the Leaf homer calls you get from most of the broacasters, but it's high time there was a change. Hopefully Sportsnet finds someone who is more progressive and doesn't just stick a Milbury or Burke or someone in that seat. Hopefully it's not a Pierre McGuire, who may not be racist but whose views on hockey are also antiquated and nonsensical. Whatever the move, it won't please everyone, as evidenced by that lowlife Kevin Paul Dupont of the Boston Globe, who tweeted that having an analytics guy would be worse than Cherry's racism. Again, just goes to show you that there will always be self-righteous idiots in hockey culture who support Cherry in not taking this seriously, and it's not just Cherry, it's that entire culture that has to go.

Well said

"without feeling the need to denigrate others as part of the message"........."lowlife Kevin Paul Dupont"....."self-righteous.idiots"........wow!!!!  

he got fired for saying --you people--:5155:  what next you people . imo as  a veteran  don is a hero, people died  and went to war for free speech  interesting how left wingers can say what they want but right wingers can not. the only reason you left wingers can come on here and say what you want in safety is because  right wingers  went to war and died for you 

4 hours ago, rkgoalie said:

he got fired for saying --you people--:5155:  what next you people . imo as  a veteran  don is a hero, people died  and went to war for free speech  interesting how left wingers can say what they want but right wingers can not. the only reason you left wingers can come on here and say what you want in safety is because  right wingers  went to war and died for you 

That's BS as both a former Basic light infantry soldier and a Conservative supporter I still think he got what he deserved. 

Simply put it is a shame that this is the way he went out. But it is time for him to hang up the gloves and move on. 

9 hours ago, rkgoalie said:

News Flash, left wingers went to war and died as well. You need to get over the politics thing, Cherry said what he said and his employer didn't like it. Just like he had the right to say it, his employer had the right to fire him for it. Just because you can say something doesn't mean there isn't consequences for it, try accusing a lawyer of something they didn't do and see if being allowed to say it saves you from a law suit.

14 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

I will say now it will make it easy to get up get a drink or switch to another game during the intermission. Cherry was the only real reason to watch any of the intermission which is where the sponsors get most of their advertising.

I have been fast forwarding past Cherry and has outdated views on hockey for the past 2 decades.

10 hours ago, rkgoalie said:

The difference is ... usually when a left winger says what they want, its "lets include everyone" ... what Don did was single out a group of people in what can only be described as racist.   "You people" .. we all clearly know he meant immigrants.     As to "right wingers" going to war ... World War 2 was about freedom, equality and liberating oppressed people from a facist far right wing group known as the Nazis.   If ever there was a left wing war ... it was World War 2.

Former Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke is listed as the heavy favourite to be Don Cherry’s successor on “Hockey Night in Canada” on one sports betting site.

Sportsnet hockey commentators Kelly Hrudey, Colby Armstrong and Craig Simpson are among the other betting favourites for Cherry’s job.

15 hours ago, habs1952 said:

I had to laugh when Cherry pointed his finger at "you people who come here". Hell, most people from here don't wear a poppy. 

Which is a sad statement to admit. He is 100% correct that "most" all take for granted the armed services protecting the country and don't support them as they should. I mean how cheap or little to care that someone can't even buy a poppy. The money earned does go to good veteran causes. I hope (unfortunately dought) that those that don't buy a poppy support in other ways. No matter what he said or how he said it supporting the VETERANS is the right thing to do. What is unfortunate about all of this isall the police and firefighters and youth Hockey programs ect. ect. he has supported on air , will be missed because the others don't have the time or will to mention them as he always did.

1 hour ago, HabsAlways said:

The difference is ... usually when a left winger says what they want, its "lets include everyone" ... what Don did was single out a group of people in what can only be described as racist.   "You people" .. we all clearly know he meant immigrants.     As to "right wingers" going to war ... World War 2 was about freedom, equality and liberating oppressed people from a facist far right wing group known as the Nazis.   If ever there was a left wing war ... it was World War 2.

We all new he meant immigrants can I have tonight's lottery numbers please?