Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kinot-2

Don Cherry Has Been Fired

52 posts in this topic

I would reiterate, "good riddance." And that has nothing to do with politics, left or right.

I purchased a poppy a few days ago when I was at the mall. Purchasing a poppy is an excellent idea, IMO. It's also something that takes so little time and effort, everyone should consider doing so. It's also okay to use a platform to promote something. For instance, IMO, there's nothing wrong with saying something like, "Please take a moment to buy a poppy from the Royal Canadian Legion, as it supports veterans and their families." Instead, Don carried on with some anecdotal nonsense about how certain "people" who come to Canada don't support veterans. I suppose it's easy to be an ignorant loud mouth when you've got millions of dollars saved up from being a hockey analyst for God knows how many years. Maybe Don can pledge some of his free time to volunteering for the Royal Canadian Legion.

Dynamo of the KHL, has offered him a job as a commentator. 

18 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I would reiterate, "good riddance." And that has nothing to do with politics, left or right.

I purchased a poppy a few days ago when I was at the mall. Purchasing a poppy is an excellent idea, IMO. It's also something that takes so little time and effort, everyone should consider doing so. It's also okay to use a platform to promote something. For instance, IMO, there's nothing wrong with saying something like, "Please take a moment to buy a poppy from the Royal Canadian Legion, as it supports veterans and their families." Instead, Don carried on with some anecdotal nonsense about how certain "people" who come to Canada don't support veterans. I suppose it's easy to be an ignorant loud mouth when you've got millions of dollars saved up from being a hockey analyst for God knows how many years. Maybe Don can pledge some of his free time to volunteering for the Royal Canadian Legion.

I agree with the way he went about it. That said Cheery has been to Afganistan , Iraq, his piece about the veterans he was at a Canadian grave site over in Normandy . He actually read the names from a couple of grave stones from soldiers whom are buried their. He has donated a lot of time to a lot of different causes. You can disagree or dislike him but he has already done more than most have. He also doesn't PK type of money just to throw at something. The wages older hockey players made wasn't much. Has he made a career out of it yes but most analyst in most every sport are ex players coaches GM's ect.  Look at McGuire he's a joke and horrible but he's still on the air. At least Cheery knows the game not like most on the US broadcast.

9 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

I agree with the way he went about it. That said Cheery has been to Afganistan , Iraq, his piece about the veterans he was at a Canadian grave site over in Normandy . He actually read the names from a couple of grave stones from soldiers whom are buried their. He has donated a lot of time to a lot of different causes. You can disagree or dislike him but he has already done more than most have. He also doesn't PK type of money just to throw at something. The wages older hockey players made wasn't much. Has he made a career out of it yes but most analyst in most every sport are ex players coaches GM's ect.  Look at McGuire he's a joke and horrible but he's still on the air. At least Cheery knows the game not like most on the US broadcast.

I'm glad he's dedicated time to causes supporting veterans. Hopefully he does it more.

My problem is signalling out certain groups of people as having done something wrong by not wearing a poppy without having any actual information to back-up that that is, indeed, the case. Don Cherry can be a hateful and xenophobic person. Which is something, IMO, we don't need in Canada. 

My take,,,,,:4224: it's about 20 years too late.  Trump North as far as i'm concerned. Every sentence starts with "me" or "in my day". If your white anglo,,,  your good in his books,,, just like Trump. He talks about supporting the military,,,  maybe somebody should point out to him that the military is just as diverse as the country that he lives in.

17 hours ago, RCAF48 said:

"without feeling the need to denigrate others as part of the message"........."lowlife Kevin Paul Dupont"....."self-righteous.idiots"........wow!!!!  

Like I said, you can applaud Don Cherry for supporting the troops and for supporting people wearing poppies and still feel he's racist and shouldn't be on television. Those thoughts aren't mutually exclusive. And yes, I feel fine calling out Kevin Paul Dupont for being an idiot for suggesting that analytics people are worse than someone being racist. That's a dumb comment from another person who repeatedly comes out with such drivel. My calling Dupont an idiot for his statement is not the same thing as Cherry generalizing the problem with Canada as being immigrants. If you want a comparable in hockey, I think it's absolutely fine to have said last year that Jonathan Drouin didn't hustle enough on the back check and call him out for being lazy based on specific examples; yet it would be wrong to generalize and say all French-Canadian players are lazy. That's the difference. So to call out Donald Trump or Justin Trudeau or Don Cherry or Dupont or whoever else you want based on specifics, I don't see a problem with as long as you can support what you're saying. Not the same thing as over-generalizing to a group of people and accusing them of something as a group... if you care to debate whether people who like statistics are worse than racists, go ahead but I'm confident you're on the losing side of that argument.

Isn't it easier to treat everyone with respect regardless of their views and not resort to name calling. .I have never felt comfortable calling some one an idiot but if you do that is fine with me.......unless you called me one to my face but I doubt that you would be that impolite.

Mr Dupont appears to have a sense of humour, something that is lacking in a lot of posts on this forum but it is your sandbox so enjoy.

11 hours ago, tony5775 said:

Simply put it is a shame that this is the way he went out. But it is time for him to hang up the gloves and move on. 

I'm surprised it took this long. Some of us knew he was against immigrants back in 1973 when Salming and Hammarstrom joined the Leafs. 

22 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

I'm surprised it took this long. Some of us knew he was against immigrants back in 1973 when Salming and Hammarstrom joined the Leafs. 

I'll never forget his "Chicken Swedes" comment.

9 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

I'll never forget his "Chicken Swedes" comment.

He has never liked any other nation taking NHL jobs he has been a Canadian "homer" forever but , I'm a HABS fan but during the Olympics, World Juniors ect.  I cheer on the USA (doesn't always help) I always cheer for Canada second.

14 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

aI'll never forget his "Chicken Swedes" comment.

Cherry rants on like Trump at a paid rally ...sooner or later it catches up with you but Mr. fancy suit / carney/ egoist   has gotten too many get out of jail cards before to my liking  ...he had to be fired because the response and backlash was too big to ignore this time for the cashbox network ….what is this made up fact ? nobody in the GTA wears poppies ? ..I would like to know how many poppies were distributed in Toronto because I feel he's lying about that at the expense of immigrants and his own agenda as "spokesman" for the military...xenophobic is just another word for " white privilege " …"YOU" people , "OUR" milk and honey , "YOU"  come here ...sounds like a KKK rally ...and now you walk it back , saying you "misspoke" only because you got caught revealing your true nature  ..even more disturbing are the hordes of Cherry supporters who want him reinstated ..welcome to OUR Canada average Joe 

1 minute ago, arpem-can said:

Cherry rants on like Trump at a paid rally ...sooner or later it catches up with you but Mr. fancy suit / carney/ egoist   has gotten too many get out of jail cards before to my liking  ...he had to be fired because the response and backlash was too big to ignore this time for the cashbox network ….what is this made up fact ? nobody in the GTA wears poppies ? ..I would like to know how many poppies were distributed in Toronto because I feel he's lying about that at the expense of immigrants and his own agenda as "spokesman" for the military...xenophobic is just another word for " white privilege " …"YOU" people , "OUR" milk and honey , "YOU"  come here ...sounds like a KKK rally ...and now you walk it back , saying you "misspoke" only because you got caught revealing your true nature  ..even more disturbing are the hordes of Cherry supporters who want him reinstated ..welcome to OUR Canada average Joe 

His best before date was 20 years ago. 

15 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Like I said, you can applaud Don Cherry for supporting the troops and for supporting people wearing poppies and still feel he's racist and shouldn't be on television. Those thoughts aren't mutually exclusive. And yes, I feel fine calling out Kevin Paul Dupont for being an idiot for suggesting that analytics people are worse than someone being racist. That's a dumb comment from another person who repeatedly comes out with such drivel. My calling Dupont an idiot for his statement is not the same thing as Cherry generalizing the problem with Canada as being immigrants. If you want a comparable in hockey, I think it's absolutely fine to have said last year that Jonathan Drouin didn't hustle enough on the back check and call him out for being lazy based on specific examples; yet it would be wrong to generalize and say all French-Canadian players are lazy. That's the difference. So to call out Donald Trump or Justin Trudeau or Don Cherry or Dupont or whoever else you want based on specifics, I don't see a problem with as long as you can support what you're saying. Not the same thing as over-generalizing to a group of people and accusing them of something as a group... if you care to debate whether people who like statistics are worse than racists, go ahead but I'm confident you're on the losing side of that argument.

Like when YOU called all leaf fans idiots. I guess that is NOT over generalizing a group of people.....

With all do respect, i don't agree with Cherry comments but i have to say when I watched the show live...I seen Ron McLean nodding is head in agreement also..

And there are probably lots of people that feel the same way.  I guess in my stupidity i thought  he was calling out city centers and the youth in the country initially  for not supporting the veterans as well as imigrants who dont know the significance of the poppy..

He wasn't calling out a specific race or color....anyway he was and is past his prime...and it was time to move on...like him or hate him...he is a hockey icon in canada

5 hours ago, caperns61 said:

Like when YOU called all leaf fans idiots. I guess that is NOT over generalizing a group of people.....

With all do respect, i don't agree with Cherry comments but i have to say when I watched the show live...I seen Ron McLean nodding is head in agreement also..

And there are probably lots of people that feel the same way.  I guess in my stupidity i thought  he was calling out city centers and the youth in the country initially  for not supporting the veterans as well as imigrants who dont know the significance of the poppy..

He wasn't calling out a specific race or color....anyway he was and is past his prime...and it was time to move on...like him or hate him...he is a hockey icon in canada

“You people that come here… whatever it is, you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey, at least you could pay a couple of bucks for a poppy,” 

Sounds to me he was targeting solely immigrants regardless of race or colour. 

41 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

“You people that come here… whatever it is, you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey, at least you could pay a couple of bucks for a poppy,” 

Remembering of course we are all immigrants unless you are of Native decent.

28 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

agreed ...I think it's so obvious that's why the huge backlash...I want to say something about McLean and I don't agree with the nodding etc but he was the coordinator of the Coaches Corner segment and had to always be thinking of time -lines , moving on to other subjects "wrapping up " the show and you could see his wheels turning all the time whilst trying to come up with his standard  pun to end it . McLean in the past has stood up to Cherry when he rants unfairly and sometimes had heated exchanges . McLean missed the boat on this one and perhaps he was getting the gist of Cherry urging the public to buy poppies and agreeing with that but not paying enough attention to what amounted to the specific targeting of immigrants in the GTA in Cherry's rant ...this stood out to me because it was so unlike McLean not to see the other side of an argument especially when it comes to Cherry . I think the segment had run right up to the limit and there was no pun at the end or time to respond ( as a counter argument ) ) to such a sensitive subject as supporting veterans ….all in all it was an opportunity missed ….  and Cherry unapologetically can only come up with " I should have worded it differently "  

48 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

If you take just that portion of his live show your right, listen to the whole live show not just that one line. The TV station ran it again later that evening...WHY? if it was so wrong? 

I am probably politically incorrect on a daily basis, not that i mean to be, its just how i grew up saying things, its not an excuse, and it doesn't make it right if I offend some either. 

But we all need to time grow ......

11 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

Even then, the Indigenous peoples came from Russia. 

6 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Even then, the Indigenous peoples came from Russia. 

I think they were there before the Russians too.

8 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

There are literally hundreds of aboriginal/indigenous/native groups around the world so unless mankind began in hundreds of places we are all immigrants.

37 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

There are literally hundreds of aboriginal/indigenous/native groups around the world so unless mankind began in hundreds of places we are all immigrants.

Deep! 

2 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Deep! 

If I went any deeper I'd have hit China. 

On 11/11/2019 at 6:14 PM, CaptWelly said:

Cherry also has done a lot for service men fire fighters police officers ect. Not to many sports host even mention actual individuals like he always did. I also think he was more generalizing with what he said not specifically going after immigrants. I think he was overall upset with the vast majority whom take the armed services for granted because it usually doesn't directly effect them. I actually have always looked forward to his show because though I don't always agree with him he has called out the NHL Bettman ect. on issues , when most host may think it but not be willing to say it. Was he a homer for Toronto or Boston and every Canadian that has ever played, but no more than Milbury or others. on other shows.

Finally I will say as an American we have a president that says 100 times worse everyday about a wide range of people and groups. We can disagree yes but there were no actually racist slurs ect. So we are now insinuating what another individual meant and so we are now censoring what was once called free speech this is as slippery slope! 

Well then just so you know:

When I was at Montmarte I was forced to buy a poppy..My garden is sort of built around annual poppies coming back and my charity has been sorely lacking this year..

3 hours ago, archey said:

Well then just so you know:

When I was at Montmarte I was forced to buy a poppy..My garden is sort of built around annual poppies coming back and my charity has been sorely lacking this year..

"Forced" as in gun point? I do agree no one should be forced or shamed into something. That said buying a poppy is probably less than a coffee at Starbucks , and no you still shouldn't have to. Forced though .....really? Life or death?