Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HabsAlways

Should the Habs just blow it up - La Tank for Lafreneire

Should the Habs just blow it up - La Tank for Lafreneire   22 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Habs just blow it up - La Tank for Lafreneire..

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

131 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

it depends on what our scouts value him at.

Yeah but we probably need a top 5 pick to get him and that would mean we'd have to drop really low in the standings (or get super lucky in the draft lottery), which isn't very likely to happen. NHL Central Scouting has him ranked as the #1 European skater in their midseason ranking.

And how does everyone feel about this now?   

We currently sit at 62 pts in 62 games ... 

Wild, 1pt back, 4 games in hand

Chicago,  2pts back, 3 games in hand

San Jose 6pts back, 3 games in hand

Anahim  7pts back ,3 games in Hand

Devils 8pts back, 3 games in hand

Ottawa 9 pts back, 2 games in hand 

We could realistically be 3 spots lower than we are if Wild, Hawks and Sharks make up the ground on those games in hand ... putting us at 26th and picking 6th overall.     If MB were to trade away Petry, Tatar, Weber, Price, Kovalchuk and others for more 1st round picks and prospects ... then we could sink even lower to 28th  and 4th overall.

I'd argue if MB/CJ hadn't got it in their thick heads they could somehow miraculously make the playoffs 2-3 games before we went on this current losing streak, we'd already be there ... sitting 28th and picking 4th pre-lottery ...with a chance at top 3 pick, maybe even 1st overall.

Just now, HabsAlways said:

If MB were to trade away Petry, Tatar, Weber, Price, Kovalchuk and others for more 1st round picks and prospects ... then we could sink even lower to 28th  and 4th overall.

Honestly if MB traded all those players i think we could fall as far as 2nd worst (I dont think we could catch the wings) because i dont think we'd win more than a couple of games. 

I think its safe to say that Weber and Price are not going anywhere. MB Is just too thick.  Petry, Tatar, Kovalchuk... maybe.  We shall see.

I think that at this point if we can end up with say a top 5-7 pick thats a good start.  And i agree, getting a couple more 1st rounders would be a very good plan - even if they are later - in this supposedly very deep draft. 

No matter what, at least we'll be in on the lottery. I just hope our percentage chance of drawing the first overall pick continues to rise as the season winds down.

4 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

And how does everyone feel about this now?   

We currently sit at 62 pts in 62 games ... 

Wild, 1pt back, 4 games in hand

Chicago,  2pts back, 3 games in hand

San Jose 6pts back, 3 games in hand

Anahim  7pts back ,3 games in Hand

Devils 8pts back, 3 games in hand

Ottawa 9 pts back, 2 games in hand 

We could realistically be 3 spots lower than we are if Wild, Hawks and Sharks make up the ground on those games in hand ... putting us at 26th and picking 6th overall.     If MB were to trade away Petry, Tatar, Weber, Price, Kovalchuk and others for more 1st round picks and prospects ... then we could sink even lower to 28th  and 4th overall.

I'd argue if MB/CJ hadn't got it in their thick heads they could somehow miraculously make the playoffs 2-3 games before we went on this current losing streak, we'd already be there ... sitting 28th and picking 4th pre-lottery ...with a chance at top 3 pick, maybe even 1st overall.

What I would do with all those guys:

- look at trading Petry and Tatar now if the deals are right.

- shelve Weber and maybe Drouin for the rest of the season or at least until they're 100%. No sense in having Weber tough through a sprained ankle and risk damage like he did a couple of years ago. It's just stupidity. And Drouin clearly rushed back too soon and isn't right either.

- play Carey no more than 50% of the rest of the games. Why tire him out for meaningless games? Give Lindgren or Primeau some work, give Carey a break.

- Bring up Evans, Hudon, Leskinen, etc. again and give them more extended auditions... guys who at least have an outside shot of being NHL players next year. Find out what you have.

Do that and I think you likely sink a bit in the standings. I doubt we sink low enough to finish worse than Det, LA, or Ott. I think we would be able to finish behind NYR, Buf, Min, Chi, and Ana and I don't know where SJ is going with all their injuries and trade rumors. To me, the minimum goal should be to finish 4th-worst or lower. Yes, we want the best shot at #1 as possible, but at the very least, there are 7 draft picks in this year's entry draft who stand out above the rest... Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle, Drysdale, Holtz, Raymond, and Rossi. They seem to be fairly consensus top 7 picks. You finish bottom 4, you get a guarantee one of them is there for you.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

What I would do with all those guys:

- look at trading Petry and Tatar now if the deals are right.

- shelve Weber and maybe Drouin for the rest of the season or at least until they're 100%. No sense in having Weber tough through a sprained ankle and risk damage like he did a couple of years ago. It's just stupidity. And Drouin clearly rushed back too soon and isn't right either.

- play Carey no more than 50% of the rest of the games. Why tire him out for meaningless games? Give Lindgren or Primeau some work, give Carey a break.

- Bring up Evans, Hudon, Leskinen, etc. again and give them more extended auditions... guys who at least have an outside shot of being NHL players next year. Find out what you have.

Do that and I think you likely sink a bit in the standings. I doubt we sink low enough to finish worse than Det, LA, or Ott. I think we would be able to finish behind NYR, Buf, Min, Chi, and Ana and I don't know where SJ is going with all their injuries and trade rumors. To me, the minimum goal should be to finish 4th-worst or lower. Yes, we want the best shot at #1 as possible, but at the very least, there are 7 draft picks in this year's entry draft who stand out above the rest... Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle, Drysdale, Holtz, Raymond, and Rossi. They seem to be fairly consensus top 7 picks. You finish bottom 4, you get a guarantee one of them is there for you.

I think I’m pretty much on board with this. All we need to do is sink low enough to grab Drysdale. If we can do that, along with pick up a couple extra 1st’s we’ll be in pretty good shape. I like the idea of auditioning some of the Laval players. Along with Drouin and Weber I might even consider giving Gallagher some extra time off, no sense in risking him bumping that noggin again.