The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

8 hours ago, xxdocxx said:

Would anybody at the right price try for a 33 year old Alexander Edler on LD.

I would if it was a two year contract. Would even over pay for those two years. The problem is he does not want to leave Vancouver. He refused a trade at the deadline. So would be pretty sure he will resign at the best deal he can get there.

16 hours ago, xxdocxx said:

Would anybody at the right price try for a 33 year old Alexander Edler on LD.

7 hours ago, tony5775 said:

I would if it was a two year contract. Would even over pay for those two years. The problem is he does not want to leave Vancouver. He refused a trade at the deadline. So would be pretty sure he will resign at the best deal he can get there.

Edler wouldn't be my first choice - I would fish around the trade market before signing Edler. That said, the UFA crop is really weak at LHD this season. We have some cap space, so as Tony said, I think the key to "the right price" is whether he's willing to accept a 2-year deal. I would be okay with giving him 5-6M on a one- or two-year deal, not on a longer contract. He could be an effective short-term patch until Romanov or others are ready, but I think it would be a mistake to give him term.

As Tony said, he seems to want to stay in Vancouver. What I've read, however, is that he is pushing them for a 3rd year on the deal and even feels like he may be able to get 4-5 years on a deal as a free agent. I wonder if he might wait until July 1st to use other offers as leverage against Vancouver and get them to agree to a 3-year deal. If MB were to offer a longer deal than Vancouver, I think he could be persuaded to leave, but I don't think there's a good fit on contract/term that would make it a viable solution for both sides.

To get back on track re ex-habs, Here's a piece on Peter Budaj.

Goalie Peter Budaj was a fan favourite during his time in Montreal and playing the backup role for Carey Price. 

Just a couple of weeks ago Budaj announced his retirement and stated he'd love to stay near the game somehow someway with his next adventure. 

The 36 year old found himself what he wanted as he's been hired as an assistant coach at Montana State University.

Andrew Zadarnowski of Habs Eyes On The Prize Tweeted out on Tuesday that Markov currently has contract offers from three NHL teams on the table as well as a KHL offer. 

16 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Andrew Zadarnowski of Habs Eyes On The Prize Tweeted out on Tuesday that Markov currently has contract offers from three NHL teams on the table as well as a KHL offer. 

I dont see him coming back to the NHL unless its with the Habs.  

15 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Dang! Good for him. I wonder what NHL teams have offered him a deal. It'd be kind of cool to see him back in the NHL, even if it's a reduced capacity. I somehow doubt Bergevin has made him an offer.

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Dang! Good for him. I wonder what NHL teams have offered him a deal. It'd be kind of cool to see him back in the NHL, even if it's a reduced capacity. I somehow doubt Bergevin has made him an offer.

There's speculation that the 'offers' are actually professional tryouts.  He's 40 and apparently had a bad (by his standards) season in the KHL last year so some people think its a bargaining chip for him to get another KHL contract.  

52 minutes ago, maas_art said:

There's speculation that the 'offers' are actually professional tryouts.  He's 40 and apparently had a bad (by his standards) season in the KHL last year so some people think its a bargaining chip for him to get another KHL contract.  

I actually wouldn't mind him being given a contract with an out clause so he could retire as a Hab! Sort of like what worked out with Pleks.

10 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

It would be pretty cool to have him retire as a Hab.

He actually might be a good assistant coach, maybe he could help the PP and work with the young D. I wonder if he was here if the young Russian LD prospect we have would come over sooner.

6 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

He actually might be a good assistant coach, maybe he could help the PP and work with the young D. I wonder if he was here if the young Russian LD prospect we have would come over sooner.

Not sure he is the greatest communicator

Edited by ramcharger440

Former Canadiens goalie Antti Niemi has a new team.

Finnish club Jokerit, which is based in Helsinki and plays in the KHL, announced Wednesday that it has signed the 35-year-old Niemi to a one-year deal.

Larry Robinson is currently a senior consultant and assistant coach for the St. Louis Blues and added a 10th Stanley Cup to his resume. 

Robinson has now won a Stanley Cup in five straight decades!

It's simply amazing that the now 68 year old has won the Stanley Cup at least once as a player or coach in the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s & 2010s.

1 hour ago, kinot-2 said:

Larry Robinson is currently a senior consultant and assistant coach for the St. Louis Blues and added a 10th Stanley Cup to his resume. 

Robinson has now won a Stanley Cup in five straight decades!

It's simply amazing that the now 68 year old has won the Stanley Cup at least once as a player or coach in the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s & 2010s.

And yet, despite him saying he had interest in coming back here, we didnt even think he was a good enough fit (as an assistant or otherwise) to talk to him. 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

And yet, despite him saying he had interest in coming back here, we didnt even think he was a good enough fit (as an assistant or otherwise) to talk to him. 

refused to even call the guy back. the all class regime

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, maas_art said:

PK traded to the Devils for Steven Santini, Jeremy Davies, a 2019 second-round pick and a 2020 second-round pick.

Wow. thats not a lot at all.  Two lowish level defensmen prospects and 2 second round picks. 

Cap flexibility seems to be the biggest factor. Excellent pickup by NJ.

36 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

When you got Josi, Ellis and Subban ... and Subban is 30 and the highest paid, maybe you do.

You forgot to mention Mattias as well.

They have 3 top end deeman who could be top pairing on any team in Jossi, Ellis and Ekholm. They needed depth and they got that.  They added depth with Santini , and a hobey baker finalist in Jeremy Davies. Plus 2 more second rounders. Subban was a second rounder Weber was a second rounder ???

I am sure they shopped Subban for more around the league, maybe a perceived red flag player because of his outgoing personality? Injuries, coming of a bad season, 30, 9 million dollar cap. There are a lot of factors to take into account  when trading a player. 

Edited by caperns61
16 minutes ago, caperns61 said:

You forgot to mention Mattias as well.

They have 3 top end deeman who could be top pairing on any team in Jossi, Ellis and Ekholm. They needed depth and they got that.  They added depth with Santini , and a hobey baker finalist in Jeremy Davies. Plus 2 more second rounders. Subban was a second rounder Weber was a second rounder ???

I am sure they shopped Subban for more around the league, maybe a perceived red flag player because of his outgoing personality? Injuries, coming of a bad season, 30, 9 million dollar cap. There are a lot of factors to take into account  when trading a player. 

Also a question of finding a team with the Cap room without having to take back salary. 

7 hours ago, maas_art said:

I agree but wow, you dont usually trade a top 10 defensman for "Cap flexibility"  

6 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

When you got Josi, Ellis and Subban ... and Subban is 30 and the highest paid, maybe you do.

So David Poile said he had 4 teams highly interested in Subban (Toronto and Vancouver were rumored in past days to be two of them) but that NJ was the only one willing to make a trade and take on Subban's entire contract. Poile said there were better offers in terms of player return but that ultimately, dumping the cap hit was the most important factor. Would suggest to me he's going all in on someone like Duchene or Panarin when the UFA market opens (or maybe even an RFA). We're hitting a state like the NBA where cap space is a tradeable and important commodity. Just look at Toronto, giving up a 1st rounder in order to dump Marleau. They got nothing in return, only a salary dump.

According to early reports, Guy Carbonneau is headed to the Hockey Hall of Fame. 

Carbonneau is definitely a Canadiens' legend and will now be looked at as a hockey legend. 

Known as "Carbo", the former NHLer won the Stanley Cup with the Canadiens in 1986 and 1993 while also raising it with the Dallas Stars in 1999. 

It's not the only hardware he has as he's got three Frank J. Selke Trophies (1988,1989,1992).