Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, campabee82 said:

It's actually Tim Hortons and at least he has a job I know people who would rather sit on their duff collecting social services. Good on him for not being one of those types of people. What is actually sad about this story is how a pro athlete has to earn minimum wage after his career ends cause there is no support system to help manage their income while they are playing. A lot of these young guys go from making nothing in the minors to signing for millions in their 4th year in the league with no concept of how to properly manage and plan for the future. 

There are ways for players to find help to manage their earnings but too many of them think they are smart enough to do it on their own. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Nikita Sherbak has just been waived from his KHL team.

Scoring winger with size and good hands, there was a lot to like. Too bad he was never able to put it all together.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

I guess one could say Pacioretty won one for the Habs. LOL

yeah he was a great player for us for a while but i am happy with what we got for him as i felt we had devalued him to some extent, not sure what we could have got if his value had been in the upswing instead of down.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, maas_art said:

For Robby Fabbri     So St. Louis trades away skill for size.. interesting.  

DLR:  31pts in 195 games.  Fabbri 73pts in 164 games.    

Kind of a surprising trade for St. Louis. 

Apparently Fabbri wanted out since the summer if he didn't play a bigger role. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, maas_art said:

i knew PK was having a rough start in NJ but didnt realize it was that bad!   22games played -   5pts.  yikes.

hes killing me in my pool :5155::4224:

I watched that recent game we played against NJ......he had a couple of good moments but i felt like he didnt play very much....especially all those pp's , he was coming on for the very end, and notably not shooting. I'm really wondering if his neck is chronically messed up, he has not been able to put up points since that last season in nashville when he got injured, and it doesnt make sense because literally a year before the guy gets 60 pts and got nominated for a norris.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, maas_art said:

i knew PK was having a rough start in NJ but didnt realize it was that bad!   22games played -   5pts.  yikes.

When your team has only scored 57 goals it's hard to soar with eagles when your playing with turkeys.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, maas_art said:

i knew PK was having a rough start in NJ but didnt realize it was that bad!   22games played -   5pts.  yikes.

 

1 hour ago, jeff33 said:

hes killing me in my pool :5155::4224:

I watched that recent game we played against NJ......he had a couple of good moments but i felt like he didnt play very much....especially all those pp's , he was coming on for the very end, and notably not shooting. I'm really wondering if his neck is chronically messed up, he has not been able to put up points since that last season in nashville when he got injured, and it doesnt make sense because literally a year before the guy gets 60 pts and got nominated for a norris.

Subban hasn't been as good this year and last, in part because of injuries and maybe in part due to true decline. But his drop-off is largely exaggerated as well. I posted a week or two ago about this, and it holds true now, but he's 13th in the entire league among defencemen in Corsi relative. Almost all of his teammates are having more success on the ice with him than without him, and he is first on his team in Corsi and one of only two positive possession players on his entire team to begin with. So it looks more than anything like he's been a good player on a bad team.

The other major difference for Subban both this year and last is that his PP usage has dropped off. He's getting a lot more 2nd unit PP time and his total PP time per game is under two and a half minutes, whereas he was getting about 4 minutes per game for most of his career. Thus far, he has no power play points. He had only 10 last year as well, whereas most of his career, he's put up close to 25 points a season on the PP on average. So that in itself accounts for a large drop-off in point production. With a quarter of a season gone already, he'd have an extra 6 points from PP production if he was maintaining his usual career pace. So lack of opportunity both in terms of getting less PP ice time and lesser teammates on the 2nd wave is another factor.

All that to say that yes, Subban has dropped off from his peak, but I don't think he's as ineffective as is being made out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

 

Subban hasn't been as good this year and last, in part because of injuries and maybe in part due to true decline. But his drop-off is largely exaggerated as well. I posted a week or two ago about this, and it holds true now, but he's 13th in the entire league among defencemen in Corsi relative. Almost all of his teammates are having more success on the ice with him than without him, and he is first on his team in Corsi and one of only two positive possession players on his entire team to begin with. So it looks more than anything like he's been a good player on a bad team.

The other major difference for Subban both this year and last is that his PP usage has dropped off. He's getting a lot more 2nd unit PP time and his total PP time per game is under two and a half minutes, whereas he was getting about 4 minutes per game for most of his career. Thus far, he has no power play points. He had only 10 last year as well, whereas most of his career, he's put up close to 25 points a season on the PP on average. So that in itself accounts for a large drop-off in point production. With a quarter of a season gone already, he'd have an extra 6 points from PP production if he was maintaining his usual career pace. So lack of opportunity both in terms of getting less PP ice time and lesser teammates on the 2nd wave is another factor.

All that to say that yes, Subban has dropped off from his peak, but I don't think he's as ineffective as is being made out.

the lack of pp time, which i noted, leads me to believe something is wrong. why would a team so starved as NJ for points not want to utilize this guy as much as possible? and like I said, when he was on, he attempted literally no shots. something is up.

that being said, in the game we played them, he could have easily had 2 assists. he sprung hall up the wing and had a beautiful penetrating rush where his pass off went to nothing. nobody at all is getting it done in NJ, and PK still has his skills as an incredible rushing dman who makes a phenomenal first pass out of the xone, but as far as I an tell from watching, he is playing in a lot of discomfort and it is being compounded by a total lack of finish up front

Link to post
Share on other sites

After Babcock and Peters, now reports starting to surface about Michel Therrien... not to the same degree as Peters, but not really that surprising that players are mentioning him. Daniel Carcillo, who had him as a coach in the AHL, said Therrien was a coach who frequently mistreated his players psychologically. Enrico Ciccone added that Therrien was known as a coach who would send goons out in the last minute of a game and tell them to fight and didn't care if they got hurt.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

After Babcock and Peters, now reports starting to surface about Michel Therrien... not to the same degree as Peters, but not really that surprising that players are mentioning him. Daniel Carcillo, who had him as a coach in the AHL, said Therrien was a coach who frequently mistreated his players psychologically. Enrico Ciccone added that Therrien was known as a coach who would send goons out in the last minute of a game and tell them to fight and didn't care if they got hurt.

Is he not just an assistant coach?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Being able to coach "young players" or psychological abusive. By the time they're at the NHL they are all at least 18. These are all players that have been stars at some league in their past youth. So they mostly have probably been coddled and babied. Now they're in the NHL all being young Millionaires and professional athletes. There are 18 year old "kids" putting there life on the line in the Military as firefighters, law enforcement, even those working in industry and the trades that have actual hard jobs working holidays being away from home. All these are jobs where sometimes bosses are harsh and sometimes it's due to major safety concerns and sometimes it's just to get their attention. No there shouldn't be racial or ethical slurs ect. or any actual physical abuse .Just being assertive or "tough" on young employees "especially when they're making millions to play a sport and are treated special just because they're athletes"and then these same are whining because bosses coaches ect. talk tough to them or call them out or challenge them...........suck it up buttercups!!!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CaptWelly said:

Being able to coach "young players" or psychological abusive. By the time they're at the NHL they are all at least 18. These are all players that have been stars at some league in their past youth. So they mostly have probably been coddled and babied. Now they're in the NHL all being young Millionaires and professional athletes. There are 18 year old "kids" putting there life on the line in the Military as firefighters, law enforcement, even those working in industry and the trades that have actual hard jobs working holidays being away from home. All these are jobs where sometimes bosses are harsh and sometimes it's due to major safety concerns and sometimes it's just to get their attention. No there shouldn't be racial or ethical slurs ect. or any actual physical abuse .Just being assertive or "tough" on young employees "especially when they're making millions to play a sport and are treated special just because they're athletes"and then these same are whining because bosses coaches ect. talk tough to them or call them out or challenge them...........suck it up buttercups!!!  

Young people are lucky today with all the participation awards out there. In my day you learned life through a combination of team work, winning and losing. It's not whether you win or lose it's HOW you play the game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Young people are lucky today with all the participation awards out there. In my day you learned life through a combination of team work, winning and losing. It's not whether you win or lose it's HOW you play the game.

I agree not keeping score or everyone getting a trophy ect. none of that is actually good for life lessons where you actually lose sometimes and sometimes things don't go the way you want and no is an acceptable answer without explanation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

I agree not keeping score or everyone getting a trophy ect. none of that is actually good for life lessons where you actually lose sometimes and sometimes things don't go the way you want and no is an acceptable answer without explanation.

As long as mommy and daddy are crying foul in the background, it's here to stay

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I think we should steer the conversation away from different generations being upset because another generation lived/lives in differing circumstances from them. There's nothing wrong with having grown up in a different context. There's nothing wrong with kids receiving an award for participation.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...