The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

3 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yeah, I think we should steer the conversation away from different generations being upset because another generation lived/lives in differing circumstances from them. There's nothing wrong with having grown up in a different context. There's nothing wrong with kids receiving an award for participation.

I agree that there are different generational circumstances and no-one should be made to feel inferior. However that being said my take on participation rewards is this. What does the award really mean? What does that do to other awards that have merit? What are we teaching the next generation about fair play and good old fashioned hard work to get where you want? 

Answers

1. The award means nothing the person who receives it may feel good about it at that moment but then later will realize that everyone got one so it has no value.

2. It obviously give all other awards given a "black eye" if you will. It diminishes all the hard work that the person receiving the award on merit has put into being the best.

3. This is the biggest one for me. It teaches the next generation and all generations going forward that fair play and hard work can be overlooked as long as everyone is happy. In life as with sports not everyone can win, not everyone can be the best, not everyone can earn the same, not everyone can have the same jobs. What would society look like if everyone was a pilot, earned 500,000 per year and lived in a mansion? while at first many would say that would be awesome and many younger generations are striving to be youtube stars and not wanting to do any real work. In reality though the trash would build up around the cities, criminals would run wild, countries would be undefended and society would crumble. 

If you don't want the younger generations to feel bad about not winning or not being the best and to be inclusive IMO you should be teaching the winners to celebrate a little more discretely while the other team is around. There is not reason the Canes need to do the storm surge while the other team is skating off the ice other than it's entertaining and embarrassing for the other team. be a little more humble raise your sticks in recognition of a good game and offer a handshake at the end of every game not just playoff series finales. Its the small things that really makes people not just kids feel good about themselves and included.

4 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I agree that there are different generational circumstances and no-one should be made to feel inferior. However that being said my take on participation rewards is this. What does the award really mean? What does that do to other awards that have merit? What are we teaching the next generation about fair play and good old fashioned hard work to get where you want? 

Answers

1. The award means nothing the person who receives it may feel good about it at that moment but then later will realize that everyone got one so it has no value.

2. It obviously give all other awards given a "black eye" if you will. It diminishes all the hard work that the person receiving the award on merit has put into being the best.

3. This is the biggest one for me. It teaches the next generation and all generations going forward that fair play and hard work can be overlooked as long as everyone is happy. In life as with sports not everyone can win, not everyone can be the best, not everyone can earn the same, not everyone can have the same jobs. What would society look like if everyone was a pilot, earned 500,000 per year and lived in a mansion? while at first many would say that would be awesome and many younger generations are striving to be youtube stars and not wanting to do any real work. In reality though the trash would build up around the cities, criminals would run wild, countries would be undefended and society would crumble. 

If you don't want the younger generations to feel bad about not winning or not being the best and to be inclusive IMO you should be teaching the winners to celebrate a little more discretely while the other team is around. There is not reason the Canes need to do the storm surge while the other team is skating off the ice other than it's entertaining and embarrassing for the other team. be a little more humble raise your sticks in recognition of a good game and offer a handshake at the end of every game not just playoff series finales. Its the small things that really makes people not just kids feel good about themselves and included.

Nicely said. 

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

Answers

I take your point. I'm pretty neutral on participation awards in sports. I also don't have kids. I imagine having children might change one's views on something like a participation medal. I imagine some young kids feel really good when receiving a participation medal. And I don't think there's anything wrong with making a child feel good about taking part in sports (or any other activity for that matter).

My concern is when people make anecdotal arguments about, say, how "lazy" or "coddled" a younger generation is without any consideration for how society has changed to make a that generation's lives much more difficult and stressful in some ways. This can be applied to sports or any other facet of modern life. Younger generations face hardships that older generations did not. Older generations faced, and continue to face, hardships that younger people just don't understand. Largely, we seem to be a society that increasingly lacks empathy for someone who's not like us.

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I take your point. I'm pretty neutral on participation awards in sports. I also don't have kids. I imagine having children might change one's views on something like a participation medal. I imagine some young kids feel really good when receiving a participation medal. And I don't think there's anything wrong with making a child feel good about taking part in sports (or any other activity for that matter).

My concern is when people make anecdotal arguments about, say, how "lazy" or "coddled" a younger generation is without any consideration for how society has changed to make a that generation's lives much more difficult and stressful in some ways. This can be applied to sports or any other facet of modern life. Younger generations face hardships that older generations did not. Older generations faced, and continue to face, hardships that younger people just don't understand. Largely, we seem to be a society that increasingly lacks empathy for someone who's not like us.

I totally get your view and agree it's not fair to judge or generalize a whole generation because no generation has the same experiences. Some things are easier to say it's wrong or right. For instance racism is wrong owning slaves is wrong but if you go back 150 years it was the accepted norm. Same as women's rights child labour and so on . The coming generations face their own unique challenges and they are going to find flaws in our generations beliefs. In order to have true inclusion and empathy it needs to start in the smaller areas of life ie sports and school but empathy is only learned through success and failure and participation awards undermine that. I do have children and hate seeing them upset however I also like seeing the succeed through hard work and determination which in sports means winning and losing. You never learn if you don't make mistakes.

On 11/28/2019 at 8:50 PM, CaptWelly said:

Being able to coach "young players" or psychological abusive. By the time they're at the NHL they are all at least 18. These are all players that have been stars at some league in their past youth. So they mostly have probably been coddled and babied. Now they're in the NHL all being young Millionaires and professional athletes. There are 18 year old "kids" putting there life on the line in the Military as firefighters, law enforcement, even those working in industry and the trades that have actual hard jobs working holidays being away from home. All these are jobs where sometimes bosses are harsh and sometimes it's due to major safety concerns and sometimes it's just to get their attention. No there shouldn't be racial or ethical slurs ect. or any actual physical abuse .Just being assertive or "tough" on young employees "especially when they're making millions to play a sport and are treated special just because they're athletes"and then these same are whining because bosses coaches ect. talk tough to them or call them out or challenge them...........suck it up buttercups!!!  

Do you mean players like Sheldon Kennedy or Theo Fleury.. I think it is pretty narrow minded to think all players have been coddled and babied.....

On 11/29/2019 at 8:37 AM, jennifer_rocket said:

Yeah, I think we should steer the conversation away from different generations being upset because another generation lived/lives in differing circumstances from them. There's nothing wrong with having grown up in a different context. There's nothing wrong with kids receiving an award for participation.

I disagree but accept your point of view.

https://www.tsn.ca/pittsburgh-penguins-gm-jim-rutherford-alex-galchenyuk-has-a-lot-more-to-give-1.1410353

Galchenyuk demoted to the 4th line, 2G 8A in 21GP this season.

“The fact of the matter is, when we’re totally healthy he’s going to have to work very hard just to get in the top 12,” Rutherford said last week. “That’s just the way it is, because we have a lot of guys playing well. So, that’s the good news and the bad news.”

Edited by ChiLla
1 hour ago, ChiLla said:

https://www.tsn.ca/pittsburgh-penguins-gm-jim-rutherford-alex-galchenyuk-has-a-lot-more-to-give-1.1410353

“The fact of the matter is, when we’re totally healthy he’s going to have to work very hard just to get in the top 12,” Rutherford said last week. “That’s just the way it is, because we have a lot of guys playing well. So, that’s the good news and the bad news.”

Ya, even with Domi having a down year compared with last, i make that trade every day. 

5 hours ago, ChiLla said:

If they are giving him away, would take him back in a second. 

1 hour ago, tony5775 said:

If they are giving him away, would take him back in a second. 

If you could get him for a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I'd give him a try. He'd look good on the PP on the right half wall with Weber on the left point. On Domi's wing he might look pretty good. If he could play on the right wing you could have Drouin, Domi, Chucky. Might be a potential?

8 hours ago, Regis22 said:

He should lock himself in his room between games and practices? Wait! He just got engaged, that may not be a good thing. 

1 hour ago, habs1952 said:

He should lock himself in his room between games and practices? Wait! He just got engaged, that may not be a good thing. 

More Twitter, FB, and Instagram. All publicity is good publicity. 

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:51 PM, habs1952 said:

Unfortunately a very talented INDIVIDUAL and yes that is in caps on purpose. It has and always will be all about PK. He actually has done a lot of nice community and charitable things. Just nothing is under the radar.

3 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

Unfortunately a very talented INDIVIDUAL and yes that is in caps on purpose. It has and always will be all about PK. He actually has done a lot of nice community and charitable things. Just nothing is under the radar.

What he needs to do is concentrate on the game during the season, he can do whatever he wants in the off season but he is well paid to be 100% during the season he has a ton of talent i hope he does not throw away the rest of his career.

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

What he needs to do is concentrate on the game during the season, he can do whatever he wants in the off season but he is well paid to be 100% during the season he has a ton of talent i hope he does not throw away the rest of his career.

I agree completely!