The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Ex Habs

kinot-2

9 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

Jarred Tinordi, discarded by the Habs, actually played for Boston Bruins in the playoffs!  Are there other similar 'defections' you know of? I know Galchenyuk and Plekanec suited up for the Leafs.

He played 4 games and total of 21 regular season games between Bruins and Nashville.   He played 28 games last year after having not played in the NHL since 2016 (AHL).    Tinordi wasn't discarded by the Habs, he's simply nothing more than a fringe player.

2 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

He played 4 games and total of 21 regular season games between Bruins and Nashville.   He played 28 games last year after having not played in the NHL since 2016 (AHL).    Tinordi wasn't discarded by the Habs, he's simply nothing more than a fringe player.

Agree.  On the flipside: if the Bruins hadnt needed to use Jared Tinordi, (ie if their defense was stronger) would they still be playing? 

14 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Tom Kurvers passed away 58 . Lung cancer . RIP

Played his two first pro seasons with habs ... was a black ace squad for 86 cup, but didn't see any PO action.   Good skater, good passer from what I remember

1 hour ago, ChiLla said:

Standing in that handshake line after the game probably wasn't easy for Patches.

Maybe not. I'm sure he isn't a terrible person in real life, but man does he still seem like he has zero personality. He spent most of the series staying on the perimeter of the rink and looking like he wanted to tattletale on someone. Still a great shooter, but you could really see how little he enjoyed being physically involved in hockey games.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Maybe not. I'm sure he isn't a terrible person in real life, but man does he still seem like he has zero personality. He spent most of the series staying on the perimeter of the rink and looking like he wanted to tattletale on someone. Still a great shooter, but you could really see how little he enjoyed being physically involved in hockey games.

Patches always struck me as the guy that would get you the 4th goal when we would be leading 3-1 or when we were losing 7-3. I thought Bergevin made the wrong choice of keeping him over the more vibrant but distracting PK in their team leadership rift. More than most, for Max to succeed he needs other good players around him and never seemed to elevate his game with heart. 
he may not deserve to be booed as I don’t recall him saying anything nasty about his experience here 

29 minutes ago, claremont said:

Patches always struck me as the guy that would get you the 4th goal when we would be leading 3-1 or when we were losing 7-3. I thought Bergevin made the wrong choice of keeping him over the more vibrant but distracting PK in their team leadership rift. More than most, for Max to succeed he needs other good players around him and never seemed to elevate his game with heart. 
he may not deserve to be booed as I don’t recall him saying anything nasty about his experience here 

I don't think he was booed hatefully or anything. I think it's just par for the course unless you are Saku Koivu. Play for Montreal, end up on a different team, get booed when you come back to Montreal.

7 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I don't think he was booed hatefully or anything. I think it's just par for the course unless you are Saku Koivu. Play for Montreal, end up on a different team, get booed when you come back to Montreal.

Yeah,,,, no different then when PK got traded. They applauded him on his first game back, but then he becomes  the enemy. Look at Roy,,,, he got his fair share of boos after the trade. Didn't stop him from getting cheered after he retired and came back to Montreal.

32 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Yeah,,,, no different then when PK got traded. They applauded him on his first game back, but then he becomes  the enemy. Look at Roy,,,, he got his fair share of boos after the trade. Didn't stop him from getting cheered after he retired and came back to Montreal.

The same would happen to almost anyone on the team, depending on the circumstances. I bet they would even boo Gallagher if he ended up on a different team and came back to Montreal to play against us.

10 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

IMO it really just depends on circumstances on how a guy left. As you said, Koivu left his heart and soul here and he got a hero's welcome. Fans don't bother booing 4th liners and depth players either. They boo star players and they boo the ones primarily who left of their own accord. Lots of boos for Komisarek, who chose to sign with the Leafs. Some boos but considerably less for Subban, who was forced out by management but clearly wanted to stay. Boos for Kovalev (IMO unwarranted) because he hesitated to sign here. In Pacioretty's case, the rumors are out there that he asked for a trade, Bergevin has said as much, and his ex-teammates really seemed not to like him very much (Renaud Lavoie reported there was bad blood between him and a number of Habs on the benches). I think fans also know that Pacioretty is a bit of a sensitive guy and figured the boos would get to him. And in the end, he was a non-factor in the series, so maybe it worked.

• 3 weeks later...

Andrei Markov suspended by the Russian anti doping agency 

According to what the TSN 690 radio station reported on Monday, the former Montreal Canadiens player failed to send RUSADA a letter attesting to his retirement as a hockey player. Also, he did not submit to mandatory tests for the detection of doping products.

Markov wanted to live his first experience behind the bench with the formation of the Continental League (KHL) playing in Podolsk.

Between 2000 and 2017, he totaled 119 goals and 572 points in 990 games with the Canadiens, while showing a differential of +64. He ended his professional career in the KHL, playing three campaigns there from 2017 to 2020. He notably won the Gagarin Cup with the Ak-Bars of Kazan in 2018.

Former NHL forward Jordan Weal has agreed to a two-year deal in the Kontinental Hockey League with Ak Bars Kazan, it was announced Tuesday.

1 hour ago, kinot-2 said:

Former NHL forward Jordan Weal has agreed to a two-year deal in the Kontinental Hockey League with Ak Bars Kazan, it was announced Tuesday.

5 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Good! won't have to see him anymore.

I actually feel bad for they guy.  He had some skills, he could definitely have been a contributor on most team's 4th lines. The problem was more that we just overused him.  In the right role, he's a luxury type 13th forward but we were playing him in our top 6 at times.

Wish him the best. 

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

I actually feel bad for they guy.  He had some skills, he could definitely have been a contributor on most team's 4th lines. The problem was more that we just overused him.  In the right role, he's a luxury type 13th forward but we were playing him in our top 6 at times.

Wish him the best. 

On a personal note yeah don't wish him ill at all he just is of no use to us if we want to move forward.

23 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

On a personal note yeah don't wish him ill at all he just is of no use to us if we want to move forward.

For sure.  He was the type of player we often overused instead of letting a kid, who might have a higher ceiling than him, have a chance. 

Former Habs defenceman Yannick Weber announced his retirement Tuesday from the NHL after 13 seasons.

The 32-year-old will continue playing in his native Switzerland, where he signed a three-year contract with ZSC Lions of the National League on June 8.

6 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Former Habs defenceman Yannick Weber announced his retirement Tuesday from the NHL after 13 seasons.

The 32-year-old will continue playing in his native Switzerland, where he signed a three-year contract with ZSC Lions of the National League on June 8.

Good, quality journeyman defensman. I was shocked to find out he played less than 500 games. I would have guessed it was like 800+ after 13 years.