The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Ex Habs

kinot-2

Chicago Blackhawks legend Tony Esposito has died after a battle with pancreatic cancer, the organization announced Tuesday. Esposito was 78.

He wasn't with the Habs long ( 1 season, 13 GP ), but he sure made an impact in Chicago. 

R.I.P. Tony. 

16 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Chicago Blackhawks legend Tony Esposito has died after a battle with pancreatic cancer, the organization announced Tuesday. Esposito was 78.

He wasn't with the Habs long ( 1 season, 13 GP ), but he sure made an impact in Chicago. 

R.I.P. Tony. 

Yep he was good.

• 2 weeks later...

Brandon Prust must have taken too many hits to the head

https://london.ctvnews.ca/former-london-knight-hockey-star-and-nhl-player-brandon-prust-in-trouble-over-twitter-comment-hope-they-force-you-into-the-sex-trade-1.5561790

Former London, Ont. hockey star and NHL player Brandon Prust in trouble over 'force you into the sex trade' tweet

LONDON, ONT. - 

A former London Knight and one-time NHL star has raised the ire of a London, Ont., women’s agency after a Twitter exchange in which he said he hoped a woman replying to him was forced “into the sex trade.”

Brandon Prust tweeted Monday, "I’m going to be on the road tomorrow driving. If I see anyone else on the road I will lose it."

That prompted Twitter user Elizabeth MacAulay to reply, “Have a nice drive in your government regulated car, on the government regulated roads with the government and police enforced rules! Thanks in advance for driving safe and following the rules of the road."

Prust then shot back, "So that means they can force me to do anything they want? I hope they force u into the sex trade so you can finally get laid u sheep... I paid more taxes for these roads than you could ever dream of money in ur account. U deserve to stay in your basement. I don’t."

The comment didn't sit well with the newly appointed executive director of the London Abused Women’s Centre.

"To suggest that a woman be forced into the sex trade to, quote, ‘finally get laid,’ is a repulsive comment," said Jennifer Dunn.

She said the comment displays a lack of understanding of the sex trade and human rights, especially from someone who is looked upon by many as a role model.

"Here’s another example of why more education is needed, specifically for men in positions of power, such as hockey. Women have a human right to live free from violence. So clearly Brandon Prust has no understanding of either sexualized violence or its impact on women and girls."

Prust would later tweet that his "tweet was blown out of context. Basically saying the government shouldn’t be able to force anyone to do anything. It would be like forcing someone into the sex trade."

Following a barrage of criticism, along with some tweets appearing to support Prust, the former hockey star offered an apology.

"I would like to apologize to the lady I replied to. She deleted her tweet so can’t find her. My intention was not to offend anyone, it was a bad joke. I apologize for my bad choice of words. I don’t hope the government forces anyone into the sex trade!"

MacAuley told CTV News London, "My first reaction was shock and I was really surprised...then it turned to a little bit of, I shouldn't say disgust, but I felt disgusted by the tweet."

She added, "This is a huge issue in the world today, and how dare anyone take any sort of platform and use that as a comparison point to belittle someone or to minize what people truly go through when they are victims of sex trafficking."

Prust was a Memorial Cup Champion with the London Knights in 2005, then played in the NHL for 10 years. He is well known for his charity work, including raising money for the Children’s Health Foundation in London, Ont.

Prust declined an interview request with CTV News London, referring to his apology on Twitter.

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, maas_art said:

Ex Hab and Ex AHL coach Sylvain Lefevre - who was an assistant with Columbus - was fired because he refused to get a covid vaccine.     Oh, Sylvain. 

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/sylvain-lefebvre-fired-blue-jackets-vaccine-1.6173870

What are we at globally? 4.5 million deaths now? And some people still can't be bothered to get vaccinated. Sigh.

• 2 weeks later...

Florida Panthers defenceman Noah Juulsen was among 15 players placed on waivers Friday.

Juulsen, 24, appeared in five games last season for the Panthers after being claimed on waivers from the Montreal Canadiens in January. The native of Surrey, BC also appeared in four games for the Panthers' American Hockey League affiliate Syracuse Crunch. 

20 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Florida Panthers defenceman Noah Juulsen was among 15 players placed on waivers Friday.

Juulsen, 24, appeared in five games last season for the Panthers after being claimed on waivers from the Montreal Canadiens in January. The native of Surrey, BC also appeared in four games for the Panthers' American Hockey League affiliate Syracuse Crunch. 

Yep claim this guy if he is healthy!

6 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Yep claim this guy if he is healthy!

Why ? He couldn’t crack Montreal’s line up , Cant crack floridas . There’s something that these two organizations see that we don’t that explains why he isn’t  turning into a regular NHL ‘er

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

Why ? He couldn’t crack Montreal’s line up , Cant crack floridas . There’s something that these two organizations see that we don’t that explains why he isn’t  turning into a regular NHL ‘er

When he was here he had some bad luck with injuries when he was healthy he was a very good prospect as for Florida they would have a hard time impressing me with anything they do.

On 10/1/2021 at 12:38 PM, Regis22 said:

Its not that Juulsen is a bad player.   Before he took two pucks to the face in one game, he was looking to be progressing into a top 4 D ... then the injury happened and the sheer amount of time he's missed has caused that progression to halt.    Now, could he still live up to his potential?  maybe, but he'd be a project and likely needs a lot of game time in the AHL

On 10/2/2021 at 8:52 AM, ramcharger440 said:

When he was here he had some bad luck with injuries when he was healthy he was a very good prospect as for Florida they would have a hard time impressing me with anything they do.

1 hour ago, HabsAlways said:

Its not that Juulsen is a bad player.   Before he took two pucks to the face in one game, he was looking to be progressing into a top 4 D ... then the injury happened and the sheer amount of time he's missed has caused that progression to halt.    Now, could he still live up to his potential?  maybe, but he'd be a project and likely needs a lot of game time in the AHL

This.
Before that injury he was really looking good.  Since then he's suffered one thing after another & really lost years of development.  I could see him becoming an NHL quality player again but as HabsAlways mentioned, this is going to take time.  

I would have tried to grab him just to see if we could work with him but uitimately Im sure we'd come to the same conclusion the panthers did: He needs time in the minors to get his game back.  Right now Wideman is probably ahead of him on our depth chart. 

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

So I was just reading that KK has made his way down to the 4th line and is playing about 12 min per game. lot of money for a 4th liner! LoL! be interesting to see what happens there!

Meanwhile... The Dvorak line appears to be our best line to start the season! :D

7 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

So I was just reading that KK has made his way down to the 4th line and is playing about 12 min per game. lot of money for a 4th liner! LoL! be interesting to see what happens there!

https://awinninghabit.com/2021/10/18/montreal-canadiens-jesperi-kotkaniemi-fourth-line/

The Canadiens third overall pick from 2018 started on the wing with Aho and Martin Necas. He played the team’s first game there and started game two there as well. However, halfway through the second game of the season, Kotkaniemi was taken out of the team’s top six.

Kotkaniemi moved all the way down to fourth line left wing with Derek Stepan and Steven Lorentz.

Though he gets some power play time, the Hurricanes really load up their first unit and it gets most of the ice time on a man advantage. Kotkaniemi is averaging about 12 minutes per game, and was the team’s 9th most used forward on opening night and then finished 10th in ice time among forwards in game two.

When Kotkaniemi signed the huge contract that was about four times more than he is worth, most Habs fans were prepared to let him walk. It turned out, so was Marc Bergevin.

It only took Kotkaniemi a game and a half to lose his gift wrapped top six spot to Jordan Martinook. I think Bergevin made the right call taking the first and third round draft picks.

38 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

https://awinninghabit.com/2021/10/18/montreal-canadiens-jesperi-kotkaniemi-fourth-line/

The Canadiens third overall pick from 2018 started on the wing with Aho and Martin Necas. He played the team’s first game there and started game two there as well. However, halfway through the second game of the season, Kotkaniemi was taken out of the team’s top six.

Kotkaniemi moved all the way down to fourth line left wing with Derek Stepan and Steven Lorentz.

Though he gets some power play time, the Hurricanes really load up their first unit and it gets most of the ice time on a man advantage. Kotkaniemi is averaging about 12 minutes per game, and was the team’s 9th most used forward on opening night and then finished 10th in ice time among forwards in game two.

When Kotkaniemi signed the huge contract that was about four times more than he is worth, most Habs fans were prepared to let him walk. It turned out, so was Marc Bergevin.

It only took Kotkaniemi a game and a half to lose his gift wrapped top six spot to Jordan Martinook. I think Bergevin made the right call taking the first and third round draft picks.

Absolutely it was the right call to not match but it was also the wrong call to let negotiations get that far when we let Danault walk earlier in the off-season.

7 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

45 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

I wouldnt read too much into this.

1) obviously its very early in the season.

2) Brind'Amour is a very smart coach and he has a tendancy to get a lot out of kids.  My guess is that he put JK there to start, to see what he could give them &  now he's moved him down the lineup to shelter him.

There's not doubt it was still a risky move & JK may never progress, but he's going to be given the opportunity to improve and move up & without the frenzy that would have surrounded him in Montreal. 

24 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Absolutely it was the right call to not match but it was also the wrong call to let negotiations get that far when we let Danault walk earlier in the off-season.

There are two sides to the story - sure we can blame Bergevin and the Organization on those negotiation failures but can we also blame KK on being "entitled" to play in the first 2 games of the playoffs, sulk like a spoiled brat when he was benched and show only glimpses of working his potential, and play the hold out for better opportunities? KK knew he had bargaining power when PD walked. Perhaps KK, his agent played the tactics like a fiddle and enabled the Canes? 

57 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Aricles like this are what feed the sharks on either side. Give the kid some slack,  only 2 games in on a new team, new system, new coach, and still only 21 years old. I am sure any team would love to have him. Certainly not at 6 million plus, but he still has the potential and skill set. 

I think the worst thing he did for his carreer was to take that contract though, especially with Carolina. They have so much depth up front, especially up the middle. He will have to play like a 6 million dollar player to move up the lineup. 

Were not talking about a kid that has been in the league for 6 years. 3 years and two of those around covid.  I always liked KK, in hindsight we should not have let him play in the NHL at 18. But I am also glad we did not make the decision to pay him 6 million, i think that would have set a bad example.  

Also I  think it worked out for us. We have a better centerman now, oinly 25 and a much more affordable contract. And quite frankly I think KK would of jumped ship as soon as he could of anyway.

But its way to early to say where he will end up in his carreer. Certainly not after 2 games on a new team at 21..LOL

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

I wouldnt read too much into this.

1) obviously its very early in the season.

2) Brind'Amour is a very smart coach and he has a tendancy to get a lot out of kids.  My guess is that he put JK there to start, to see what he could give them &  now he's moved him down the lineup to shelter him.

There's not doubt it was still a risky move & JK may never progress, but he's going to be given the opportunity to improve and move up & without the frenzy that would have surrounded him in Montreal. 

What's funny about this is the automatic perception that another coach or organization is doing it correctly. "Shelter him" see what he can do? Whenever the Canadiens do this they're ruining the player ect. ect.. He's also not played a game yet as center for Carolina. The fans here would be screaming how terrible of treatment that would be! All players have to earn their spot.....NO MATTER OF DRAFT STATUS!!! You really can't blame him for taking the contract no where else was any offering 6 million to him at this time. That said if he looked at the big picture. Carolina is loaded at center. Montreal let Danault walk and he was definitely going to be given the opportunity to play 2nd line center with a good assortment of wingers. It was Evans and Poehling and others that the team and everyone thought were going to battle for 3/4 center spot. It could still work out for him. Yes Brind'Amour is known as a players coach. That said Rod is also known to continue to stay in the best shape and work the hardest which he expects from every player also. Small sample so far but it does show that most all coaches don't automatically give high draft picks the best positions and ice time without earning it. 

32 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

What's funny about this is the automatic perception that another coach or organization is doing it correctly. "Shelter him" see what he can do? Whenever the Canadiens do this they're ruining the player ect. ect.. He's also not played a game yet as center for Carolina. The fans here would be screaming how terrible of treatment that would be!

😂🤣