Danault 

GP 14 G 3 A 6 = 9 pts

+ / - = + 4

Tatar

GP G 1 A 4 = 5 pts

+/- = 0

By comparison 

MIKE HOFFMAN is  4 G 3A 7 pts  and -7

DVORAK is 1G 4A  5 PTS and a team leading - 15:4845:JOSH ANDERSON is -11 and HOFFmAN is -7

PERREAULT 3G 1A 4 PTS  and +3

PAQUETTE  0G 0A  0 PTS  -1

2 hours ago, Regis22 said:

By comparison 

DVORAK is 1G 4A  5 PTS and a team leading - 15:4845:JOSH ANDERSON is -11 and HOFFmAN is -7

All of those minuses are just a reminder that the whole team is hasn't been scoring.

• 2 weeks later...

Best of luck Guy 

He was THE man when I was growing up 

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/guy-lafleur-cancer-raising-awareness-1.6259489

Battling lung cancer, Canadiens great Guy Lafleur strives to raise awareness

Guy Lafleur is never sure what's around the next corner.

When his cancer treatments aren't quite as draining, the Montreal Canadiens great has energy.

And then there are other times when all he wants to do is rest.

"I get the immunotherapy the first three weeks, and then the fourth week I have the big chemo," Lafleur said of his regimen in a recent interview with The Canadian Press. "It's the chemotherapy that really hurts you badly. There's not a week that's the same. The last two weeks, I was feeling very, very bad and sleeping a lot.

"But the last three days I feel a lot better — a lot of ups and downs."

A cancerous white spot was discovered on Lafleur's right lung by chance in September 2019 when he was undergoing quadruple bypass heart surgery. Two months later, the Hockey Hall of Fame winger went under the knife again to remove both the upper lobe of his lung and lymph nodes.

"I had no idea," Lafleur said of his cancer, thankful it was caught early. "I maybe would have ended up with Stage 4 and maybe it would have been too late."

But he received bad news in October 2020 that the cancer was back, which is when Lafleur began his current treatment.

"There's not too many people that have a chance to grab it from the beginning," said the 70-year-old Lafleur, who has partnered with Merck Canada for its new "Be The MVP" campaign to raise awareness about early lung cancer detection.

'There's miracles out there'

The Canadian Cancer Society estimates 21,000 people will die of lung cancer in this country in 2021, some 25 per cent of all cancer deaths.

"Most people when they find out, it's Stage 4," added Lafleur, a chain smoker until quitting cold turkey due to his health concerns in 2019. "It's not too late, because there's miracles out there, and there's people that are surviving.

"But it's better to find out yourself."

Lafleur, who won five Stanley Cups as part of the Canadiens' dynasty of the 1970s during a sparkling career, continues to watch his old team with a keen eye.

If you don't have the right players, you're not going to win.— Guy Lafleur on the Canadiens' struggles without key veterans Shea Weber and Carey Price

The man nicknamed "The Flower" doesn't attend many games — although Lafleur did get a thunderous ovation at the Bell Centre during last season's improbable run to the final — but has been disappointed by a start that's seen Montreal win just five times in 20 outings to sit 29th in the NHL standings.

They went for the Stanley Cup and now are almost last place," said Lafleur, who registered 560 goals and 1,353 points in 1,126 regular-season games with the Canadiens, New York Rangers and Quebec Nordiques.

"If you're not ready and if you don't have the right players, you're not going to win."

Montreal has, of course, been minus two big pieces in 2021-22. Canadiens captain Shea Weber is dealing with injuries that could force his retirement, while goaltender Carey Price entered a residential treatment facility for "substance use" prior to the season and continues to work his way back.

"That's two big guys missing," Lafleur said. "But it's not normal to have losing streaks like that. Even if you're missing two guys you should be able to compensate."

While critical of the team's on-ice performance, Lafleur has plenty of admiration for Price and winger Jonathan Drouin, who left the team last spring to deal with insomnia and anxiety, for addressing their mental health needs — and then sharing details publicly.

"They're not the only two in the league, I'll tell you that."

Lafleur believes the Canadiens need to name a captain, with Weber on the shelf indefinitely. Gritty forward Brendan Gallagher is his choice.

"Right now," he said emphatically. "Sorry for Shea, but he's not playing. You need somebody that players look up to.

"And Brendan … he's the guy that shows up for every game, he pays the price every game."

Meanwhile, the game's declining interest among Quebec's youth has pushed the provincial government to unveil a strategy aimed at increasing the number of Quebecers in the NHL.

Lafleur isn't part of the committee announced last week, but he has a few ideas.

"Times change," he said. "Minor hockey, it's so expensive. For parents to bring their kids up to the junior [level], it's unbelievable. In our day, we didn't have that.

"It was not that much money because we didn't travel much. Minor hockey, it's organized like the NHL now."

Lafleur also pointed the finger at some parents.

'Too much pressure' on hockey's youth

"They put so much pressure on the kids," he said. "They think about winning the lottery if they make [the NHL].

"That's why a lot of kids are quitting ... there's too much pressure. They have to perform all the time."

On 11/12/2021 at 12:39 PM, Regis22 said:

JK

GP 11 G 2 A 1 = 3 pts

+/- = 0

Danault 

GP 14 G 3 A 6 = 9 pts

+ / - = + 4

Tatar

GP G 1 A 4 = 5 pts

+/- = 0

JK  Carolina

GP 19  G 4 A 2 = 6 pts     +/- =  +2

Danault   LAK

GP 20 G 3 A 6 = 9 pts     + / - =  -2

Tatar       NJD

GP18 G 3 A 6 = 9 pts     +/- =    +1

Domi   Columbus

GP 9  G 3 A 6 = 9 pts     +/- =    +6

On 11/12/2021 at 4:15 PM, Regis22 said:

By comparison 

M. Hoffman  GP 13  G 4  A 3  =  7 pts     +/- =     -9

C. Dvorak     GP 23  G 4  A 7 = 11pts      +/- =   -11

J. Anderson GP23   G 7  A 6 = 13pts      +/- =   -10

M.Perreault  GP 8    G 3   A 1 =   4pts      +/- =    +3

C.Paquette  GP11    G 0  A 0 =    0pts      +/- =     -2   

3 hours ago, ChiLla said:

Kotkaniemi on pace for ~20 goals with very limited ice time on their 4th line. That shooting percentage is clearly unsustainable but hey, good for him :ph34r:

Definitely going to be hard for him to maintain that shooting percentage, but also conceivable he benefits from more ice time and better linemates if he plays well. At present, he's getting ice time comparable to what Matthieu Perreault was getting here, so as you said, mostly being treated as a 4th line player. He has had a few games in the top 6 but he's been moved around their line-up a lot and he has a lot of players ahead of him on the depth chart. At present, he'll likely need to hope for an injury ahead of him to be consistently moved up. If we look at his production though, he's doing far better per ice time than the likes of Dvorak, Gallagher, Caufield, Evans, and Armia and he's also ahead of guys like Lehkonen, Hoffman, and Anderson.

And if we want to look at advanced stats, the numbers actually suggest he might sustain his level of play outside of his personal shooting percentage. His PDO is almost bang on 1.0, and Carolina's shooting percentage with him on at 5v5 is under 9%. So it suggests that even though he is personally finishing, his linemates are not, and if he gets to play with better linemates and/or his linemates have better luck/finishing, then his assist totals will potentially shoot up. Also noteworthy that he has the best Corsi on the team among regular players on the Canes, so he's been a strong possession player and that usually translates into long-term success as well.

47 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Definitely going to be hard for him to maintain that shooting percentage, but also conceivable he benefits from more ice time and better linemates if he plays well. At present, he's getting ice time comparable to what Matthieu Perreault was getting here, so as you said, mostly being treated as a 4th line player. He has had a few games in the top 6 but he's been moved around their line-up a lot and he has a lot of players ahead of him on the depth chart. At present, he'll likely need to hope for an injury ahead of him to be consistently moved up. If we look at his production though, he's doing far better per ice time than the likes of Dvorak, Gallagher, Caufield, Evans, and Armia and he's also ahead of guys like Lehkonen, Hoffman, and Anderson.

And if we want to look at advanced stats, the numbers actually suggest he might sustain his level of play outside of his personal shooting percentage. His PDO is almost bang on 1.0, and Carolina's shooting percentage with him on at 5v5 is under 9%. So it suggests that even though he is personally finishing, his linemates are not, and if he gets to play with better linemates and/or his linemates have better luck/finishing, then his assist totals will potentially shoot up. Also noteworthy that he has the best Corsi on the team among regular players on the Canes, so he's been a strong possession player and that usually translates into long-term success as well.

Jesperi just turned 21 in the summer ... had he been brought along slower by the Habs I think he'd be blossoming by now.

https://www.canescountry.com/2021/11/30/22809998/quick-whistles-carolina-hurricanes-pesce-bear-deangelo-next-man-up-rough-patch-jesperi-kotkaniemi

It’s probably not a coincidence that his move back to the center position has sparked his promising stretch of games.

For the first time this season, Kotkaniemi has been deep into the positive in on-ice expected goals for at 5-on-5. He was at a mind-boggling 90.45% against Seattle, 72.31% against Philadelphia, and 68.11 against Washington.

The eye test matches those numbers. He’s been much more noticeable in the offensive zone, creating chances for him and his linemates on a much more consistent basis. With Kotkaniemi on the ice, the Hurricanes are outshooting their opponents 23-6 and outscoring opponents 3-0 at 5-on-5 over the last three games. They're outscoring opponents 5-1 with him on the ice over the last five games.

It took a while for him to catch his footing on a new team and find a role that makes sense for him at this point in his development. The fourth-line center spot has been very kind to him lately, and while it’s not a top-nine role, what matters is that he plays well and builds up confidence.

The Kotkaniemi experience was always supposed to be a marathon and not a sprint.

https://dailyhive.com/montreal/shelf-life-pacioretty-canadiens-exit

"Everyone has a shelf life there": Pacioretty opens up about Canadiens exit

I was so used to coming to the rink after a loss, or two or three losses… and it’s the end of the world, and no one’s talking to each other. It’s just heavy,” he said. “You go out to dinner, and everyone’s complaining about the team and the traffic and the weather. And in Vegas, you can lose three in a row, and everyone’s still positive, [saying] ‘You’re here for a reason, we believe in you, and don’t worry, I know you’ll you’ll find your game.'”

3 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Lot of money to keep developing a player for one year.....be interesting to see what kind of deal he ends up getting after this one. Bottom line kid is good just no 6 mil plus good.

I don't think anyone (at least no one I know of) believed Kotkaniemi at 6M would be worth the money this year. But everyone including Kotkaniemi knows he's being overpaid this year because it was necessary from Carolina's part to be able to make the offersheet strong enough to force Mtl not to match. I'd be surprised if he makes 6M again next year, and Carolina controls his rights as an RFA. The only way he makes 6M next year is if he has a huge year and scores 25-30 goals this season, in which case he would be worth the 6M anyways.

So let's see what JK's next contract looks like. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a 2-year deal for 3.5-4M AAV or a longer-term deal for 4.5-5.5M AAV. Either way, that 6M is going to be diluted down. If Carolina ends up getting JK for the next 5-7 years and pays an AAV of around 5-5.5M over that time, I still think that ends up being better than the money we're paying someone like Dvorak, who is already older and with a lower ceiling.

14 hours ago, Regis22 said:

https://dailyhive.com/montreal/shelf-life-pacioretty-canadiens-exit

"Everyone has a shelf life there": Pacioretty opens up about Canadiens exit

I was so used to coming to the rink after a loss, or two or three losses… and it’s the end of the world, and no one’s talking to each other. It’s just heavy,” he said. “You go out to dinner, and everyone’s complaining about the team and the traffic and the weather. And in Vegas, you can lose three in a row, and everyone’s still positive, [saying] ‘You’re here for a reason, we believe in you, and don’t worry, I know you’ll you’ll find your game.'”

Well, to be fair, he's not wrong :lol: Thinking back to my years in Montreal, taxes, the federal government, and politics in general also come to mind.

In all seriousness, it is a unique market in the NHL and that's certainly a factor for a large number of players. Why expose yourself to constant public scrutiny when you can just fly under the radar in Vegas, Carolina, or Florida while you compete for the Cup?

7 hours ago, ChiLla said:

Well, to be fair, he's not wrong :lol: Thinking back to my years in Montreal, taxes, the federal government, and politics in general also come to mind.

In all seriousness, it is a unique market in the NHL and that's certainly a factor for a large number of players. Why expose yourself to constant public scrutiny when you can just fly under the radar in Vegas, Carolina, or Florida while you compete for the Cup?

I would think every player alive would jump at the chance to carry the torch on opening night.:ph34r:

51 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

I would think every player alive would jump at the chance to carry the torch on opening night.:ph34r:

I think things probably change pretty quickly once your drafted. Your childhood fandom falls by the wayside as you develop a commitment to your new organization. After that, why burden yourself with the Montreal hockey market once you've played 7-8 seasons in another market, made tons of connections, maybe started a family, enjoy a relatively anonymous life, made tons of cash, etc. The Montreal Canadiens were the first sports team I ever cheered for. If I had been a hockey player drafted by Tampa, I'd probably want to stay there too.