The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Ex Habs

kinot-2

St. Louis Blues fourth-string goaltender Charlie Lindgren could start next three games.  As noted by The Associated Press, the St. Louis Blues improved to 13-8-4 on the season via Tuesday's overtime win over the Florida Panthers that included fourth-string goaltender Charlie Lindgren securing the victory after Ville Husso suffered a lower-body injury during the contest.  Lindgren may want to get comfortable between the pipes. 

Per Lou Koraco of the NHL's website, Lindgren could start for the Blues' next three games with Husso sidelined. Jordan Binnington remains in the COVID-19 protocol, and Joel Hofer cannot be called up from the Springfield Thunderbirds of the American Hockey League because of league salary-cap rules. 

Looks like he's tearing it up in Carolina :4224:

JESPERI KOTKANIEMI JOUE SEPT MINUTES PAR MATCH ACTUELLEMENT (SUR LE QUATRIÈME TRIO)

https://www.danslescoulisses.com/jesperi-kotkaniemi-joue-sept-minutes-par-match-actuellement-sur-le-quatrieme-trio/?fbclid=IwAR0ySKvyTXtad8--22NaGLmkLrL6EamADSq1tZV6__S9veUFDtLNpbscUO8

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

JESPERI KOTKANIEMI JOUE SEPT MINUTES PAR MATCH ACTUELLEMENT (SUR LE QUATRIÈME TRIO)

https://www.danslescoulisses.com/jesperi-kotkaniemi-joue-sept-minutes-par-match-actuellement-sur-le-quatrieme-trio/?fbclid=IwAR0ySKvyTXtad8--22NaGLmkLrL6EamADSq1tZV6__S9veUFDtLNpbscUO8

It was always a risk for sure but giving up a late 1st and a 3rd to get a potential high end player.. its probably worth it for the Canes either way. 

I think the biggest concern is not the on ice thing but if you're a cane player & you see that JK is the 10th leading point scorer but the 3rd highest paid player does that make some of the other guys annoyed and/or does it make the ones up for contracts look for more money.

I still think the biggest loser in this may be JK.  He would have almost certainly had 2nd line duties handed to him with plenty of time & room for mistakes but instead he's getting pushed down their lineup and if he isnt re-signed does he become another Yakupov that no one will take a chance on?   Way too early to tell obviously but interesting to see how it plays out.

2 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Isn't there a francais forum?

what's funny about the JK  thing in Carolina is that when that ( the  moving him to the 3rd or 4 th line ) was done in Montreal , there was a big to do that Montreal was ruining him etc 

Now it's being done on a different team,

We'll see what happens later on  but for now maybe it's the kid and not the team

23 hours ago, Regis22 said:

what's funny about the JK  thing in Carolina is that when that ( the  moving him to the 3rd or 4 th line ) was done in Montreal , there was a big to do that Montreal was ruining him etc 

Now it's being done on a different team,

We'll see what happens later on  but for now maybe it's the kid and not the team

would be funny to get him back for much less one day.......

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

Meanwhile, the guy we got for him is doing very well: https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=130519
14 pts in 16 games for Domi. 

Dont get me wrong, id still rather have Anderson, but considering the blue jackets left him unprotected, im pretty sure we coudl have gotten him back for peanuts (maybe a 3 way deal so the jackets didnt have egg on their face) in the off season. 

Suzuki - Domi - Dvorak - Evans is better than what we have for sure. 

51 minutes ago, HabsRuleForever said:

Next stop KHL

Another great draft year 

Seems like we've only ever had good picks in years where the draft has been weak. We're headed towards another one this coming year too. Meanwhile the 2023 draft is supposed to be one of the best in a while, hence why I wouldn't mind trading some of our vets now for 2023 picks instead of 2022 ones.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Seems like we've only ever had good picks in years where the draft has been weak. We're headed towards another one this coming year too. Meanwhile the 2023 draft is supposed to be one of the best in a while, hence why I wouldn't mind trading some of our vets now for 2023 picks instead of 2022 ones.

I am fairly sure we stand a good chance at having a good pick that year too. all we have to do is keep our coach one more year.....

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I’m all for balancing picks but I doubt we land our own or acquire a pick within the top 10 next year, so is there much benefit to having a mediocre first round pick in a deep draft? 
Aren’t we likely to trade our vets to contending teams such as the oilers who probably covet Chiarot? I submit that most of these acquiring teams won’t plummet next year and we wind up with a pick in the range 15-32. I’d much rather trade our vets for current prospects such as Bourgault etc., and accelerate our rebuild. 
So we get a couple more 2nd rounders in a deep draft next year - the odds drop off on 2nd rounders and even lower for 3rds. 

i don’t write off this year as necessarily weak - beyond Wright, you have a great consolation prize in Kemell who may not be a Centre but is a sniper - you watch how he will play with Finlands juniors. Those 2 are expected as elite and let’s see how the undrafted play in the under 20 WJC before believing this is a weak draft at the top of the first round. 

16 minutes ago, claremont said:

i don’t write off this year as necessarily weak - beyond Wright, you have a great consolation prize in Kemell who may not be a Centre but is a sniper - you watch how he will play with Finlands juniors. Those 2 are expected as elite and let’s see how the undrafted play in the under 20 WJC before believing this is a weak draft at the top of the first round. 

https://smahtscouting.com/2021/11/01/scouting-report-joakim-kemell/

Projection

Second line winger, who can be a threat on a NHL power-play.

26 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

https://smahtscouting.com/2021/11/01/scouting-report-joakim-kemell/

Projection

Second line winger, who can be a threat on a NHL power-play.

That’s old and bull chit - 17 turning 18 in April, he’s on pace to breaking Laine and Barkov’s scoring records in the same league but I guess those are 2nd line players. 
the danger is whether the Finnish mens over 20 league he is playing in is inferior competition- look how KK has panned out 

I’m quite high on him regardless and believe he will perform admirably in the WJC 

15 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

would be funny to get him back for much less one day.......

I wouldn't mind that, but I don't think it'll happen. Burned bridges and all that... looking forward to see what his next contract is going to look like.

JK regularly playing on the 4th line isn't really that suprsing though. When you already have Aho, Staal, Trocheck, Necas, and Jarvis on the active roster plus a couple of other center prospects in the system, people start wondering where JK is expected to slot in to begin with. They gave him 6M+ to put him on the wing to start the season, a position he has never played here before, hence the general sentiment of the offer sheet being primarily motivated by petiness. Sure, they took a gamble with their Cap space, which is fine, but it's not like they really needed him. It's a little silly because considering our center depth, it's pretty clear there should be room for JK here, especially this season. But hey, I would have taken the 6 million as well.

11 hours ago, claremont said:

I’m all for balancing picks but I doubt we land our own or acquire a pick within the top 10 next year, so is there much benefit to having a mediocre first round pick in a deep draft? 
Aren’t we likely to trade our vets to contending teams such as the oilers who probably covet Chiarot? I submit that most of these acquiring teams won’t plummet next year and we wind up with a pick in the range 15-32. I’d much rather trade our vets for current prospects such as Bourgault etc., and accelerate our rebuild. 
So we get a couple more 2nd rounders in a deep draft next year - the odds drop off on 2nd rounders and even lower for 3rds. 

I've gone through this before, but there are teams that we could make a deal with that are not locks to make the playoffs this year (aim to acquire their 2022 pick) or where they are at risk of a drop-off next year(aim to acquire their 2023 pick) or both.

Look at Pittsburgh, for example. They have a ton of UFA's after this season, including Malkin, Letang, Rust, and Carter. They have an oft-injured aging Sidney Crosby, and they have question marks on D and in net. They're currently sitting 7th in the East but with extra games played than the teams chasing them. They're by no means a lock to make the post-season, but on the other hand, this could be the last crack at the can for this core group. You don't make a run this year, you could easily lose your core and Crosby may decide he doesn't want to rebuild. This team could very easily be a bottom-feeder next year. So you want to go all-in this year? Then here are players like Drouin, Lehkonen, Chiarot, Toffoli, Gallagher, Petry, etc. who can help you take a shot now. In exchange, we want a 2023 1st that's not lottery-protected.

Look at Boston. Sitting 8th overall in the East right now. Their core is aging, they have question mark in goal, and most importantly, Patrice Bergeron hasn't decided if he'll even play next year. Their culture says they'd love a guy like Chiarot or Gallagher, or even Edmundson if he can come back. Going into next season, if they don't have Bergeron, I'd count Tampa, Toronto, and Florida ahead of them in the division, and I'm not sure they'd be better than enough teams to win a wildcard. They also have a lot of money tied up long-term, so it's not like they can make sweeping improvements via free agency either. Out West, I'm not sure I'm a big believer in Minnesota being a perennial top-tier team despite early success this year. I don't believe Calgary, especially if they lose Gaudreau, will be elite next year. So there are teams that are in contention this year who may want to add to make a run but who aren't locks to be in the same position next year. If we can find a trading partner desperate enough to push all-in now without lottery protecting their 2023 first, that's the move I want to make. Give me 2-3 shots at Connor Bedard in the lottery.

3 hours ago, electron58 said:

Happy birthday to former Habs and Laval Rocket goalie Charlie Lindgren, who turns 28 today. Doing well with St. Louis Blues this season, where he has a 5-0 record with a 1.22 goals-against average and a .958 save percentage. & he wasn't good enough for the Habs.

He would have made little to no difference here as goalies are not or main issues! I always liked the guy but we can't keep them all. Happy for him though he needed a fresh start and things have worked out for him due to injuries.

Jesperi Kotkaniemi with his 7th goal of the season tonight, now has 12 points in his 29th game, despite playing only 12 minutes a game. So he's 4th on the Canes for goals and he would be tied for our team lead in goals, this despite getting less ice time than everyone on our team than Paquette and Pezzetta. I thought JK would have struggled this year on account of adjusting to a new position and having trouble getting ice on a deep Canes' team. But with the COVID situation, Kotkaniemi might find himself getting more ice than he otherwise would have, and he's making the most of his ice to produce.

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Jesperi Kotkaniemi with his 7th goal of the season tonight, now has 12 points in his 29th game, despite playing only 12 minutes a game. So he's 4th on the Canes for goals and he would be tied for our team lead in goals, this despite getting less ice time than everyone on our team than Paquette and Pezzetta. I thought JK would have struggled this year on account of adjusting to a new position and having trouble getting ice on a deep Canes' team. But with the COVID situation, Kotkaniemi might find himself getting more ice than he otherwise would have, and he's making the most of his ice to produce.

Yeah he is on a great team playing with no pressure on the 4th line I wonder how he would have done in this tire fire? the kid has talent we all know that as for myself I no longer care what an ex player is doing after they leave. I wish him well to a degree but just like I never kept up with my ex girlfriends I don't follow ex players too much.