26NCounting

TRADE DEADLINE - KOVY, THOMPSON, PECA, COUSINS TRADED

427 posts in this topic

Just now, campabee82 said:

Would like to be buyers but if we are getting a decent enough return I could also live with being sellers

Calgary 

Chicago

Flyers

Knights

Calgary and Knights we're under dogs

Chicago is a toss up

Flyers we're under dogs

I think for MB to go all in on the playoffs ... we need to beat Chicago and get 3 pts out of Calgary, Knights, Flyers ...  He'll want to see 2-1-1 or 2-0-2.    A 2-1-1 over those 4 games would put us on a  18-9-9 pace over last 36 games given us 90pts... close to making playoffs (3-4 extra wins), close enough that a key player could push us into it. 

Getting 4pts or less .... ie 2-2 ...  that pace would put us at 18-18 over last 36 games for 82pts ...   that would require 6-8 extra wins ... 

6 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Calgary 

Chicago

Flyers

Knights

Chicago is a toss up

Flyers we're under dogs

I think for MB to go all in on the playoffs ... we need to beat Chicago and get 3 pts out of Calgary, Knights, Flyers ...  He'll want to see 2-1-1 or 2-0-2.    A 2-1-1 over those 4 games would put us on a  18-9-9 pace over last 36 games given us 90pts... close to making playoffs (3-4 extra wins), close enough that a key player could push us into it. 

Getting 4pts or less .... ie 2-2 ...  that pace would put us at 18-18 over last 36 games for 82pts ...   that would require 6-8 extra wins ... 

Our records this year suggests we should get 4+ points

Vegas we are 1-0-0

Calgary we are 1-0-0

Philadelphia we are 0-0-2

That suggests we could get 5 Points without factoring in Chicago but that's just an assumption based on our records

13 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Our records this year suggests we should get 4+ points

Vegas we are 1-0-0

Calgary we are 1-0-0

Philadelphia we are 0-0-2

That suggests we could get 5 Points without factoring in Chicago but that's just an assumption based on our records

Vegas we beat 5-4 in OT ... in October.     At this point in season, we're now under dogs to get a point.  They're fighting to maintain a WC spot and have lost 3 in a row.

Calgary we beat 4-3 in OT  in December, just before the 2nd losing streak.   I'll say that's a toss up despite Calgary being on a tear and fighting to hang onto 1st in their division and the 10pt difference in record. 

Phillie ... we always lose to them

Chicago ... a toss up based on records, they're 6-4 in their last 10, we're 2-7-1.   

I can see this happening just as easily as those 5 pts :

CAL  - OT Loss

CHI -  Win

Flyers - Reg Loss (its the back to back)

VK - OTLoss

that's 1-1-2 for 4pts.   If we lose tonight to Calgary in Regulation, that moves the needle to sellers and we need 5pts in 3 games to get it to swing to buyers.   It's not looking good for playoff hopes.

Edited by HabsAlways

2 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Vegas we beat 5-4 in OT ... in October.     At this point in season, we're now under dogs to get a point.  They're fighting to maintain a WC spot and have lost 3 in a row.

Calgary we beat 4-3 in OT  in December, just before the 2nd losing streak.   I'll say that's a toss up despite Calgary being on a tear and fighting to hang onto 1st in their division and the 10pt difference in record. 

Phillie ... we always lose to them

Chicago ... a toss up based on records, they're 6-4 in their last 10, we're 2-7-1.   

I can see this happening just as easily as those 5 pts :

CAL  - OT Loss

CHI -  Win

Flyers - Reg Loss (its the back to back)

VK - OTLoss

that's 1-1-2 for 4pts.   If we lose tonight to Calgary in Regulation, that moves the needle to sellers and we need 5pts in 3 games to get it to swing to buyers.   It's not looking good for playoff hopes.

I know that we are underdogs at this point and it will be difficult to get any wins was just pointing out our records. Also we are 4-0-0 vs Calgary over our last 4 meetings so there is that as well.

BTW ... Carey let 3 goals in on 27 shots last game against Calgary for a 0.889 SV PCT.

None of this would be a factor if we didn't have two eight game losing streaks.    Even if we'd gotten 10-12 pts out of the possible 32 we'd be fine right now.

On Price to Carolina:

- This was not a rumor. It was a suggestion from Larry Brook of the NY Post that Carolina should be looking to upgrade in goal over Mrazek if they want to make a Cup push (having re-signed Justin Williams to do just that). He suggested Lundqvist and Price as two possible names that could fit what Carolina is looking for with respect to experience and pedigree in net. This was his opinion of what could be a fit, not a rumor that the teams would consider this. I doubt Bergevin moves Price this season and I doubt Carolina comes calling us about this either. If they did go this route, Lundqvist makes more sense as a trade target anyways. From our end, it doesn't make a lot of sense to move Carey while his value is low, and I'd see Western conference teams like Edm, Col, Van, and expansion Seattle as being better targets.

On who WILL get traded:

- assuming we don't win 3 of our next 4 and decide to stay put with what we have, I'd agree that Thompson is a likely name to move. Past that, everyone else is a bt of a crapshoot as to what Bergevin will do. I don't think he feels pressured to move guys who aren't going to be UFA's and he doesn't see the same value in trading guys at their peak (like Tatar, Petry, or Weber) the way we do because I think he still believes he can compete next year with them. he may also not want to move players he just acquired... So I'd peg the odds as follows in terms of chances of a player being moved by the deadline:

- Thompson: 80%

- Kulak: 50%

- Kovalchuk: 40%

- Scandella: 30%

- Weise: 15%

- Tatar: 10%

- Petry: 10%

- Weber: 2%

- Kinkaid: 2%

- Price: 1%

18 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

On Price to Carolina:

- This was not a rumor. It was a suggestion from Larry Brook of the NY Post that Carolina should be looking to upgrade in goal over Mrazek if they want to make a Cup push (having re-signed Justin Williams to do just that). He suggested Lundqvist and Price as two possible names that could fit what Carolina is looking for with respect to experience and pedigree in net. This was his opinion of what could be a fit, not a rumor that the teams would consider this. I doubt Bergevin moves Price this season and I doubt Carolina comes calling us about this either. If they did go this route, Lundqvist makes more sense as a trade target anyways. From our end, it doesn't make a lot of sense to move Carey while his value is low, and I'd see Western conference teams like Edm, Col, Van, and expansion Seattle as being better targets.

So I'd peg the odds as follows in terms of chances of a player being moved by the deadline:

- Thompson: 80%

- Kulak: 50%

- Kovalchuk: 40%

- Scandella: 30%

- Weise: 15%

- Tatar: 10%

- Petry: 10%

- Weber: 2%

- Kinkaid: 2%

- Price: 1%

I think there will be demand for Danualts capabilities based on his contract value, term and current production although you peg his chances at 0 per cent in failing to mention him -  perhaps because you feel no way MB will trade him. I think there is a 20 per cent chance he gets moved. 

1 hour ago, claremont said:

I think there will be demand for Danualts capabilities based on his contract value, term and current production although you peg his chances at 0 per cent in failing to mention him -  perhaps because you feel no way MB will trade him. I think there is a 20 per cent chance he gets moved. 

I also think there's a chance MB moves Danault.  The thing holding him back would be Julien who clearly favours/trusts him over all other centres.   I like Danault and he's a good player but he's going to be 27 in a month and will be looking for a hefty raise in the summer of 2021.  Keeping him in the lineup takes away playing time at Centre from a good young talented player.   Suzuki has shown he's competent wherever you play him but in the brief times we've seen him at centre, he looks electrifying.  So maybe you swap him back to centre and put Domi on the wing (but again, Domi has looked great at Centre) but that means your top 2 C spots are spoken for.  JK needs play in the top 6 by next year.  Poehling still has work to do but i wouldnt be surprised to see him take a big step forward this summer.

That makes Danault expendable and his value will never be higher. 

19 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I also think there's a chance MB moves Danault.  The thing holding him back would be Julien who clearly favours/trusts him over all other centres.   I like Danault and he's a good player but he's going to be 27 in a month and will be looking for a hefty raise in the summer of 2021.  Keeping him in the lineup takes away playing time at Centre from a good young talented player.   Suzuki has shown he's competent wherever you play him but in the brief times we've seen him at centre, he looks electrifying.  So maybe you swap him back to centre and put Domi on the wing (but again, Domi has looked great at Centre) but that means your top 2 C spots are spoken for.  JK needs play in the top 6 by next year.  Poehling still has work to do but i wouldnt be surprised to see him take a big step forward this summer.

That makes Danault expendable and his value will never be higher. 

That’s my sentiments- he doesn’t have to be moved and he’s a valuable and well liked player for us - I just think he will attract some attention from other teams as defense usually wins in the tighter games towards and in the playoffs.  If the value is right vs other alternatives MB may decide he is replaceable 

FWIW, Francois Gagnon says he gives about a 10-15% chance that Tatar and/or Petry is moved at the deadline. That said, he also states that the reason he's not putting it higher is because he doesn't think the Habs will accept a late first rounder and a prospect as the payment. He says teams will have to pony up more if they want Petry.

And Eric Engels adds that IF the Habs decide to move Tatar, he sees Calgary as being at the front of the list for acquiring him. Brian Wilde, who's been talking a lot about Edmonton these days, says he thinks Tatar would also interest the Oilers if they can make the cap work.

Friedman IIRC was the one who broke that the Oilers were also interested in Pageau.

But coming back to our part of this, I'm not sure why Calgary would be looking a Tatar, since they already have Tkachuk and Gaudreau on the left and are more in need of a RW, but if they were, they really don't have a very deep prospect pool, as they've traded away a lot of high draft picks in recent years. The only blue chipper there is Juuso Valimaki, who is on LTIR this year after tearing his ACL in August but has the potential to be a top-pairing LHD. Would the Flames give up one of their only recent 1st rounders in addition to next year's 1st? Not sure they have the pieces necessary to make the trade.

Pierre Lebrun says he spoke to Bergevin today and Bergevin told him flat out that he will not consider trading Weber or Price and that if another team comes calling, he won't even listen to what they have to say. We all know Bergevin has lied to the media and fans many times, but he sounds pretty clear on this. IMO, this is just another sign of bad management. No matter how much you love a guy or believe in him, you can't refuse to listen to offers. The Oilers should at least pick up the phone on McDavid, the Pens on Crosby, the Avs on McKinnon, and the Habs on Weber and Price. It's plain stupidity to refuse to listen to offers.

Furthermore, it's a bit blind to believe Weber and Price are the be-all and end-all of what drives your team. If you believe those two are your core, you need to have addressed the LHD situation two years ago. It's incomprehensible how Bergevin refuses to sacrifice picks or prospects to add to his current line-up but also refuses to sell off his oldest and most at-risk of depreciating pieces at the same time. It legitimately seems like his goal is to just be a playoff contender for infinitum as opposed to being a threat to win a Cup ever.

5 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Pierre Lebrun says he spoke to Bergevin today and Bergevin told him flat out that he will not consider trading Weber or Price and that if another team comes calling, he won't even listen to what they have to say. We all know Bergevin has lied to the media and fans many times, but he sounds pretty clear on this. IMO, this is just another sign of bad management. No matter how much you love a guy or believe in him, you can't refuse to listen to offers. The Oilers should at least pick up the phone on McDavid, the Pens on Crosby, the Avs on McKinnon, and the Habs on Weber and Price. It's plain stupidity to refuse to listen to offers.

Furthermore, it's a bit blind to believe Weber and Price are the be-all and end-all of what drives your team. If you believe those two are your core, you need to have addressed the LHD situation two years ago. It's incomprehensible how Bergevin refuses to sacrifice picks or prospects to add to his current line-up but also refuses to sell off his oldest and most at-risk of depreciating pieces at the same time. It legitimately seems like his goal is to just be a playoff contender for infinitum as opposed to being a threat to win a Cup ever.

And the right answer for the media, for those wondering, would have been "I'm not actively looking to trade Weber or Price, but as with any player, I'm willing to listen to what any other GM has to say to try and change my mind."

7 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

the big joke is that we just could not possibly afford to move these guys because of our .....obvious...success....at having these two....as our tandem superstar....just exciting playoff runs and individual accolades galore....

That is all just silly. of course he would listen to an offer he is just making it clear there are no cheap sellout deals to be had. if he does not even listen.....you have to wonder if his head is screwed on right.

MB wants to make the playoffs. next year will be no different. he needs tatar, he needs petry, fpr that matter if thats the mindset we might as well be hanging onto kovy and scandella.

thompson, weise, POSSIBLY weal cousins or kulak are the only thing going anywhere until at LEAST next deadline or if bargain boy gets fired

17 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

That is all just silly. of course he would listen to an offer he is just making it clear there are no cheap sellout deals to be had. if he does not even listen.....you have to wonder if his head is screwed on right.

13 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

MB wants to make the playoffs. next year will be no different. he needs tatar, he needs petry, fpr that matter if thats the mindset we might as well be hanging onto kovy and scandella.

thompson, weise, POSSIBLY weal cousins or kulak are the only thing going anywhere until at LEAST next deadline or if bargain boy gets fired

I don't think he'll legitimately listen though... I think MB honestly believes these two guys have such inherent value that he can't recoup enough skill in a trade to make it worth it. He's so blinded by the concept of intangibles that he doesn't bother to have a plan for how trading them might help the future of his team. Andrew Berkshire has detailed all of this in an article for Sportsnet.

As Jeff said, MB believes this team can compete for a playoff spot next year and that if you get in, even a small chance at a Cup is worth not improving your future odds. I honestly don't think he has a long-term plan, he just thinks about what can he do to not ruin his chances of making the playoffs this year without being blamed for giving something away that will come back to bite him either. It's more about not making mistakes he can be blamed for rather than a vision for making the team better.

Of course MB would listen to offers and trade them if the right price was being paid. I feel like this was a two fold strategy. 

1. To let other GM's know he isn't actively trying to shop them at this point.

2. To letting the other GM's know that even though we are struggling he isn't just going to give away great players even if they are on the wrong side of 30 and have struggled themselves lately. If Edmonton called with a deal of

Koskinen + Gagner + Russel + Bouchard + Broberg + 1st 2020 + 2nd 2021 or a 1st if they make it to the west final 

For 

Weber + Price with some salary retained

Do you honestly believe MB would hang up? No way in hell he would make that deal and run to the bank. He'll if it were Price for McDavid or Draisaitl straight up he would do that too. It's his job to 1. Make the team better and 2. Relieve tensions in the dressing room. How do you think Weber or Price would react if he said yeah we are shopping them give us your best offer? Not only them but also every other guy in the room would be thinking if he is being shopped am I? Rediculous of Le Brun to even word it like MB would hang up the phone just makes for better ratings for him to stir the pot.

5 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

MB insisted he wasn't going to trade Subban either ...

32 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

If the right trade came along, MB would do it. 

13 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I don't think he'll legitimately listen though... I think MB honestly believes these two guys have such inherent value that he can't recoup enough skill in a trade to make it worth it. He's so blinded by the concept of intangibles that he doesn't bother to have a plan for how trading them might help the future of his team. Andrew Berkshire has detailed all of this in an article for Sportsnet.

This.   Even though "no one is untouchable" it would take a ridiculous offer to get McDavid out of Edmonton. Something like Teraveinen, Svechnikov, Aho, Hamilton and Dzingel + two 1st rounders.  Would Edmonton say no?  of course not but Carolina would be gutted & it make zero sense. But he's not 'untouchable.'   MB sees Price and Weber like McDavid.  Elite.

Travel back in time 6 years and yes, they were but now?  Now you move on if you can get value!

In MB's head i think he believes that when Suzuki and Romanov and JK and Poehling and Brook etc are all in their prime, Weber and Price will still be top line players.  He's delusional when it comes to aging i think 

15 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

The difference is that Therrien and Bergevin despised Subban. They called him out whenever they could, they wouldn't support him for Team Canada, and Therrien claimed he was going to "make PK a better person" before even meeting him. Conversely, Bergevin drools over Weber and Price and their intangibles.

6 hours ago, maas_art said:

This.   Even though "no one is untouchable" it would take a ridiculous offer to get McDavid out of Edmonton. Something like Teraveinen, Svechnikov, Aho, Hamilton and Dzingel + two 1st rounders.  Would Edmonton say no?  of course not but Carolina would be gutted & it make zero sense. But he's not 'untouchable.'   MB sees Price and Weber like McDavid.  Elite.

Travel back in time 6 years and yes, they were but now?  Now you move on if you can get value!

In MB's head i think he believes that when Suzuki and Romanov and JK and Poehling and Brook etc are all in their prime, Weber and Price will still be top line players.  He's delusional when it comes to aging i think 

Right. I think we can argue MB does this for a lot of players actually. He assesses their value based on what they've done rather than on where they're likely to be down the line. He has consistently stated that he values Weber and Price as being the leaders to lead the rookies and youngsters, but he's failed to address the fact that both players are past prime and no longer considered elite. He's failed to address that Weber's trade value right now is high but probably won't be that high in two years, at which point he'll potentially be losing some of Petry/Tatar/Gallagher/Armia/Danault if he hasn't already traded them. And he's failed to address WHEN he thinks this team can compete for a Cup and what Weber and Price will bring to the table when that day arrives.

It's great to believe those two players add leadership value and maybe they do, although we haven't seen any signs that their leadership has led to on-ice results. I'll come back to the fact that this team had more success with Subban on the roster than Weber, and Subban was a guy they felt was a locker room cancer. Similarly, Nashville got farther with him than they ever did with Weber. That's not a statement on which player is better or who won the trade, but it does show that no matter how good a leader you're reputed to be, it only takes you so far and doesn't win you championships, whereas you may not like guys such as Subban or Kessel or so on, but you can still win with them so long as they have the talent.

In our case, we're essentially saying that the value of Weber and Price's leadership over the next two years is more valuable than the trade return both guys could bring in, which could theoretically be 4-5 pieces (either top picks or blue chip prospects) that could help us for the next 5-10 years. I have trouble agreeing with that. And like I've said, I think you should be able to get leadership from your Danault's and Gallagher's and Domi's and Lehkonen's and so on or veteran role players that you can bring in or keep around (the Byron's and Thompson's and Chiarot's of the NHL) at a much cheaper price. I don't see a need to spend 20M keeping two past-prime vets around so long that they lose all value, and even vintage wine goes bad at some point.

On 1/13/2020 at 0:13 PM, HabsAlways said:

I really do think these next 4 games before the AS break will deteremine MB's moves ... if we get 5 or more pts we're buyers leading up to the deadline.   If we get 4 or less, we're sellers.

On 1/13/2020 at 0:21 PM, HabsAlways said:

Calgary 

Chicago

Flyers

Knights

Chicago is a toss up

Flyers we're under dogs

So now we are at 2-1-0 with just the Vegas game remaining, from our earlier convo we determined that to be buyers we had to get 5+ points in our last 4 games before the break. So it all comes down to Vegas, a regulation loss puts us in the seller position, a OT loss MB likely buys but could go either way and a win almost guarantees MB is a buyer. God I hope for a win, and MB to actually buy a young top pairing D man with term so that even if we don't make it this year the team fills our greatest need and is still better next year.

1 minute ago, campabee82 said:

So now we are at 2-1-0 with just the Vegas game remaining, from our earlier convo we determined that to be buyers we had to get 5+ points in our last 4 games before the break. So it all comes down to Vegas, a regulation loss puts us in the seller position, a OT loss MB likely buys but could go either way and a win almost guarantees MB is a buyer. God I hope for a win, and MB to actually buy a young top pairing D man with term so that even if we don't make it this year the team fills our greatest need and is still better next year.

With Carey looking very, very sharp in his last three starts, Bergevin has probably already made up his mind that we will push for a playoff spot. Not to say he would look to bring in any other players before the deadline, but he probably believes that when the team gets healthy there's enough there to maybe sneak in.

7 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

With Carey looking very, very sharp in his last three starts, Bergevin has probably already made up his mind that we will push for a playoff spot. Not to say he would look to bring in any other players before the deadline, but he probably believes that when the team gets healthy there's enough there to maybe sneak in.

Agree.  Whether or not its possible, I think MB will believe we can win.  Assuming you need roughly 96-98 points to make the playoffs, you need to finish the year roughly 7-8 games above .500    Right now we're at .500 exactly (21-21-7)

We're going to need to win like 23 of our last 33 games.  I dont love the odds but I think MB looks at it like "we're going to get players back, Kovy is playing awesome.. Price back to top form" this can happen. 

The overall confidence of the players still seems very shaky, but if they can string together say 5 or 6 wins things could change in a hurry.  

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

I don't believe MB will be an aggressive buyer or seller because he's shown he has a lot of trouble committing to an actual plan. He's already told us he doesn't want to trade away blue chip prospects and high draft picks. So while he may tinker, what is he really going to acquire that's going to significantly improve this team's chances of making the playoffs and a Cup run? He's no getting a top-pairing LHD for spare parts. He's not getting a 1C. And while he may find a back-up goalie for what he's willing to give up, how many games is the back-up going to play down the stretch? 5? How many in the playoffs if Carey is healthy? Probably none.

In terms of selling, I think MB also won't do much. Most of the guys who could bring big returns are signed past this season, and I think MB feels we can compete for a playoff spot next year and wants to keep guys around who can help him with that. He's not concerned with winning a Cup. To him, getting in the playoffs is a reasonable goal. So yes, keeping Weber, Price, Tatar, and Petry help you towards that goal, but they don't advance your chances of ever winning a Cup really. MB might turn around and trade a Nate Thompson or a Kulak or maybe even a Scandella or Kovalchuk, but the best I think we'll be able to hope for is a 2nd rounder for Kovalchuk and otherwise it's likely going to be mid-round picks or B-rated prospects coming back. Once again, I don't see anything earth-shattering happening here.

Bergevin has gone on record saying you make your roster in June and then live with it the rest of the season, so right now he's living with it. Personally I think he's too afraid to make any kind of substantial move the rest of the way this season and if any changes are going to be made, I feel they'll likely be more lateral moves than anything at the draft.