The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

TRADE DEADLINE - KOVY, THOMPSON, PECA, COUSINS TRADED

26NCounting

15 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

It would have been back when we should have traded him before we gave him a billion dollars forever, and he has been very average since then.

sakic would be offering grubauer, the 1st and the 3rd best of those 3 prospects. 

listen, carey is a legit starting goalie and I am in no rush to get him out of town, much like the rangers have hung onto lundqvist (which is now coming to its organic finale)

fact is, the days of us asking for the world for him are long gone.  I personally think it makes way more sense to max out on the perceived value of weber and gallagher, plus anything else significant anyone wants to give us on drouin or whoever, and let price hang around a couple more years to stabilize the rebuild

3 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Totally agree.  If Sakic wants price, I think his "price" (no pun intended) is probably not much greater then Petry's to be honest.  He may well have this aura of "best in the world" (despite what the stats say) but he also comes with major baggage in terms of that contract.

I could colorado offering Byram + Bowers + Grubauer + 1st for Price + Kovalchuk   - and honestly, id be all over it.  I love price but i think the additions of those players are far better for our future than him.

Plus, having been a price fan for ages, wouldnt it be nice to see him have a chance to win a cup? he most likely wont get that chance here. 

No no I wasn't saying that's what I valued him at. I was saying for MB to move him I could see that being his ask. Personally I think Maas has his value about right but unfortunately we are not MB who said he would hang up if anyone calls about Price or Weber.

5 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

No no I wasn't saying that's what I valued him at. I was saying for MB to move him I could see that being his ask. Personally I think Maas has his value about right but unfortunately we are not MB who said he would hang up if anyone calls about Price or Weber.

ok, well that I think I agree with you on.

I think he's doing the same thing with other players too. Like he is so against the realistic rebuild he's gonna go fine, you want my vets? 5 piece package. no? oh well i TRIED but making trades is so HARD!

oh well we had injuries, next year we could totally almost come 8th, Im really positive on that.

1 hour ago, Shutoutfan said:

A member of my sim league is a Avs fan and he just said that the rumours have Priceat top of the list again. Dont think he is happy with whatever happens if high end prospects like Byram goes to MTL in return.

Hold the phone, did you say “sim league”? I was in one a few years back. Loved it, right up until it fell apart. I’d definitely be interested in getting into another one. Any openings?

6 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

ok, well that I think I agree with you on.

I think he's doing the same thing with other players too. Like he is so against the realistic rebuild he's gonna go fine, you want my vets? 5 piece package. no? oh well i TRIED but making trades is so HARD!

oh well we had injuries, next year we could totally almost come 8th, Im really positive on that.

Totally LOL 

Have a hard time believing this GM would be ALLOWED to trade Price without Molson's OK, and I don't thing our owner has the balls to do it. Then again going by my desktop wallpaper, it's definitely a possibility. It seems whomever I use gets traded or dumped, and Price is currently on deck.:lol:

You can consider that my personal E5

15 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Have a hard time believing this GM would be ALLOWED to trade Price without Molson's OK, and I don't thing our owner has the balls to do it. Then again going by my desktop wallpaper, it's definitely a possibility. It seems whomever I use gets traded or dumped, and Price is currently on deck.:lol:

You can consider that my personal E5

LMAO I am going to hold you to that and will be back at 3:30pm tomorrow to take it up with you if he is still here. In all seriousness though I believe your right I don't think Price will be going anywhere either but what a haul we would get if he did

5 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

LMAO I am going to hold you to that and will be back at 3:30pm tomorrow to take it up with you if he is still here. In all seriousness though I believe your right I don't think Price will be going anywhere either but what a haul we would get if he did

If it happens,,,, rest assured Alzner is next on the list.:lol:

So these are my best guesses as to what players might get moved where:

- Kovalchuk: Dallas (if he doesn't re-sign first)

- Weise: Vancouver

- Thompson: NY Islanders

- Kreider: St. Louis

- Simmonds: Boston

- Athanasiou: Colorado

- Pageau: NY Islanders

- Palmieri: Edmonton

- Galchenyuk: Florida

- Vatanen: Carolina

- Barrie: Vancouver

- Mike Green: Tampa

- Manson: Florida

- Dumba: Toronto

- Gustafsson: Vegas

I would be surprised if any of Petry, Tatar, Price, Weber, Domi, or Drouin go anywhere, but maybe pleasantly surprised. Here's hoping for some excitement in the next 24 hours instead of the same-old mediocrity.

Of course, as soon as I posted this, news that Zach Bogosian has signed with Tampa. FWIW, it looks like Mike Commodore might have been the first to report it, well ahead of the TSN Insiders.

That likely takes Tampa out of the market for the above D men but maybe intensifies the search from teams like Toronto, Florida, and Carolina.

Not a great return, because that 3rd rounder is going to be a late one. Surprised they would make such a bad trade, but that would suggest the team probably wasn't that close to re-signing him. I think MB would have taken the contract over a pick in the range of #90 overall.

• BigTed3 changed the title to TRADE DEADLINE - KOVY TRADED
Just now, BigTed3 said:

Habs retain 50% of Kovalchuk's salary.

Not that it's much money, but recall that the maximum number of players you can retain salary on in each season is 3. Habs now have retained salary on Scandella and Kovalchuk, so they can only do that once more. Means for example that you couldn't do that with Tatar AND Cousins or so on.

1 minute ago, H_T_L said:

Pretty pathetic return when you consider Scandella got us a 2nd. At least we're not seeing MB make a futile attempt at buying rather then selling the spare parts.

sometimes i just dont get nhl trades. Its crazy that Scandella would be valued higher than Kovy, absolutely nuts, but that's how it goes sometimes. 

We still got a second and third for guys we picked up during the season. 

Just now, habsisme said:

sometimes i just dont get nhl trades. Its crazy that Scandella would be valued higher than Kovy, absolutely nuts, but that's how it goes sometimes. 

We still got a second and third for guys we picked up during the season. 

I would have been more then happy with a 2nd and a 3rd for the pair of them. I guess it doesn't matter which one got what at the end of the day but it raised my hopes that just maybe we could have gotten more, based on the Scandella deal being first

20 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Not a great return, because that 3rd rounder is going to be a late one. Surprised they would make such a bad trade, but that would suggest the team probably wasn't that close to re-signing him. I think MB would have taken the contract over a pick in the range of #90 overall.

I’m disappointed in a third for Kovy - would have preferred him to lead some of our youngsters for remainder of season but I guess If everyone passed on him earlier then he’s overrated 

• H_T_L locked this topic