The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

TRADE DEADLINE - KOVY, THOMPSON, PECA, COUSINS TRADED

26NCounting

Best news out of this (because the 3rd rounder probably matters very little) is that it indicates Bergevin understands he's a seller and he's not clinging to a 2% shot at making the playoffs. We know he'll likely try to swap Thompson and Weise and Weal if there are takers, but the real question now is how he views next season - will he swap out a Tatar or a Petry or so on...

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

Best news out of this (because the 3rd rounder probably matters very little) is that it indicates Bergevin understands he's a seller and he's not clinging to a 2% shot at making the playoffs. We know he'll likely try to swap Thompson and Weise and Weal if there are takers, but the real question now is how he views next season - will he swap out a Tatar or a Petry or so on...

I think he will IF the price is right... which I think is unlikely. I wouldn't disagree with this line of thinking though. We can always move those guys next year too

28 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Not a great return, because that 3rd rounder is going to be a late one. Surprised they would make such a bad trade, but that would suggest the team probably wasn't that close to re-signing him. I think MB would have taken the contract over a pick in the range of #90 overall.

I have a hard time believing that no one would have offered a second rounder, so i think its well within the realm of possibility that MB and Kovy have a "gentleman's agreement" that he will at least listen to an offer this summer - and in the meantime he's traded to a legit contender. Clearly Kovy is not a player who is super interested in money so i would imagine he appealed to MB to trade him to a contender.

I also think this is a positive move because it signals that MB is probably not trying to push for the playoffs and may actually make a couple of tough decisions concerning this roster very soon.  

7 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

It's also possible that Kovy had a say in where he wanted to go for his best shot at a Cup in exchange for a gentleman's agreement on a deal this summer to come back. Doubt it though.

This is my belief.  Not that he necessarily will come back, nor does it mean that MB couldnt have traded him elsewhere but Bergevin has moved players before to give them "fresh starts" or "better chance" even though the return for the team might not have been the absolute best. 

I dont think anyone would have given us a 1st but if it was a 2nd or a 3rd and you give Kovy a shot at a cup?  Whats the harm really.  The way we draft (picking players like Romanov way before they are scheduled to go) a 3rd probably is about the same as a 2nd anyway. lol

If it was a 2nd from a team like Edm or Cal or Fla or Ari or so on though, that could have easily been a 45th or 50th overall pick instead of a 90th overall. That's a huge difference.

In any case, it's technically a violation of the CBA to have an agreement with a player you trade away to come back in the off-season, even though I'm sure it happens. Also no way for the Habs to enforce anything. If Kovalchuk loves Washington and does well there, Habs can't invoke a gentleman's agreement about anything to overturn his signing with someone else. It's a bit of blind faith in a guy you just brought in recently. In Kovalchuk's case, also no guarantees... if he plays badly in Washington, no one may offer him a contract next year.

14 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

If it was a 2nd from a team like Edm or Cal or Fla or Ari or so on though, that could have easily been a 45th or 50th overall pick instead of a 90th overall. That's a huge difference.

In any case, it's technically a violation of the CBA to have an agreement with a player you trade away to come back in the off-season, even though I'm sure it happens. Also no way for the Habs to enforce anything. If Kovalchuk loves Washington and does well there, Habs can't invoke a gentleman's agreement about anything to overturn his signing with someone else. It's a bit of blind faith in a guy you just brought in recently. In Kovalchuk's case, also no guarantees... if he plays badly in Washington, no one may offer him a contract next year.

True, and i agree.  

Im not saying it was the right call - or even that its what happened but if it was indeed MB's thinking  (worrying more about Kovy's shot at a cup than the return for his team) it wasnt particularly smart, but perhaps a tiny bit understandable.   

I'm not a fan of this trade.....we lose a good hearted, talented player, who in his short time with us has given this team some much needed enthusiasim . He, although possibly a little past his prime has shown to be a much bigger threat than most of our team .    In return....we get a third round somebody that will inevitably fall into obscurity in a short time.....way to go MB ......you idiot......jmo

22 minutes ago, HARBORSPORT said:

I'm not a fan of this trade.....we lose a good hearted, talented player, who in his short time with us has given this team some much needed enthusiasim . He, although possibly a little past his prime has shown to be a much bigger threat than most of our team .    In return....we get a third round somebody that will inevitably fall into obscurity in a short time.....way to go MB ......you idiot......jmo

This, IMO Kovy put it all on the line for the Habs. Sure he was playing for his career but he showed up everyday and not only did his job but went above and beyond he was genuinely excited for the guys at the Habs skills competition and in every game he appeared in when others would score or make great plays as if he himself had made the play. It was more of a big brother I am so proud of him moment though then a look at me moment. The guy still has skill speed heart and most of all class. I wish he wins his cup this year and hope to see him back with the Habs before he hangs up his skates for good.

2 hours ago, HARBORSPORT said:

I second that. And unless there's some sort of fishy agreement in place that would certainly violate the CBA, to me that move is even more proof of MB's ineptitude. Why would you deliberately trade a guy like Kovalchuk ~24 hours early, instead of playing poker, waiting for the Kreider and Palmieri chips to fall, and then take advantage of a desperate playoff-bound team looking for scoring help? A 3rd rounder from a team like Washington is a very poor return for what Kovalchuk brings and I have a hard time believing that's the absolute best offer out there. We'll never know though because MB dropped the ball once again.

Meh, I really would have liked to get a 2nd, but a 3rd is better than nothing. I think MB does plan on making a move for him on July 1st. So it probably came down to either hold on for one more day, maybe get a 2nd from a team Kovy doesn’t want to go to and miss out on re-signing him in the off, or take a 3rd from a team Kovy does want to go to today (yesterday) before the ship sails and part ways on good terms. I’m sure right now Kovy and MB have a good idea what a contract could look like for next year. Nothing binding, and I don’t think there’s anything fishy about that. We had him under contract, we asked him what it would take to re-sign in June. No big deal, Washington will get that same opportunity.

5 hours ago, ChiLla said:

I second that. And unless there's some sort of fishy agreement in place that would certainly violate the CBA, to me that move is even more proof of MB's ineptitude. Why would you deliberately trade a guy like Kovalchuk ~24 hours early, instead of playing poker, waiting for the Kreider and Palmieri chips to fall, and then take advantage of a desperate playoff-bound team looking for scoring help? A 3rd rounder from a team like Washington is a very poor return for what Kovalchuk brings and I have a hard time believing that's the absolute best offer out there. We'll never know though because MB dropped the ball once again.

Maybe another one of the John Scott type stories of "we can't tell you why we did what we did." Just feels odd that given all the other trades that have happened and getting a 2nd and maybe more for Scandella that this is for Kovalchuk.

23 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Meh, I really would have liked to get a 2nd, but a 3rd is better than nothing. I think MB does plan on making a move for him on July 1st. So it probably came down to either hold on for one more day, maybe get a 2nd from a team Kovy doesn’t want to go to and miss out on re-signing him in the off, or take a 3rd from a team Kovy does want to go to today (yesterday) before the ship sails and part ways on good terms. I’m sure right now Kovy and MB have a good idea what a contract could look like for next year. Nothing binding, and I don’t think there’s anything fishy about that. We had him under contract, we asked him what it would take to re-sign in June. No big deal, Washington will get that same opportunity.

A 3rd is not nothing but it's pretty close. IMO, 1st round picks have value. High 2nd's have some value. After that, the drop-off is huge. A 3rd rounder is almost no better than a 4th or 5th. If you look at recent drafts, the number of 3rd round players to play over 100 games would be

- 2018: still at 0

- 2017: still at 0 (the only 3rd rounder to have any meaningful number of games thus far is actually Cale Fleury at 41)

- 2016: still 0 (Adam Fox leading the way at 61, Joey Anderson at 44, then not much after that).

- 2015: Anthony Cirelli at 160 games for TB and that's it

- 2014: Brayden Point, then Warren Foegele, and Mike Amadio. Three.

- 2013: 9 from this year, albeit they include the likes of Sven Andrighetto. The only ones of note would be Brett Pesce, Duclair, Buchnevich, and Guentzel.

So at the very least, we're likely looking at a player who is at least 3-5 years away from making the NHL and who has under  10% chance of becoming a regular NHLer. Excluding last year's draft (too early), I'd say there are 3 impact players so far (Point, Pesce, and Guentzel) from the 6 previous 3rd rounds, with potential for that number to go up a bit in the future though. It's not a high conversion rate.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Maybe another one of the John Scott type stories of "we can't tell you why we did what we did." Just feels odd that given all the other trades that have happened and getting a 2nd and maybe more for Scandella that this is for Kovalchuk.

A 3rd is not nothing but it's pretty close. IMO, 1st round picks have value. High 2nd's have some value. After that, the drop-off is huge. A 3rd rounder is almost no better than a 4th or 5th. If you look at recent drafts, the number of 3rd round players to play over 100 games would be

- 2018: still at 0

- 2017: still at 0 (the only 3rd rounder to have any meaningful number of games thus far is actually Cale Fleury at 41)

- 2016: still 0 (Adam Fox leading the way at 61, Joey Anderson at 44, then not much after that).

- 2015: Anthony Cirelli at 160 games for TB and that's it

- 2014: Brayden Point, then Warren Foegele, and Mike Amadio. Three.

- 2013: 9 from this year, albeit they include the likes of Sven Andrighetto. The only ones of note would be Brett Pesce, Duclair, Buchnevich, and Guentzel.

So at the very least, we're likely looking at a player who is at least 3-5 years away from making the NHL and who has under  10% chance of becoming a regular NHLer. Excluding last year's draft (too early), I'd say there are 3 impact players so far (Point, Pesce, and Guentzel) from the 6 previous 3rd rounds, with potential for that number to go up a bit in the future though. It's not a high conversion rate.

I think the trade had more to do with what Kovy wanted then what was being offered. My feeling is we had multiple offers maybe some were for a second or a higher 3rd but MB went to Kovy and said look we want to make you an offer in the summer we have these offers where would you like to go. Maybe there was a gentlemen's agreement maybe it was more of a respect thing but I have a feeling this was more about Kovy then the Habs future. We already have 3 seconds word a fourth 2nd have moved the needle that much more? 

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

I think the trade had more to do with what Kovy wanted then what was being offered. My feeling is we had multiple offers maybe some were for a second or a higher 3rd but MB went to Kovy and said look we want to make you an offer in the summer we have these offers where would you like to go. Maybe there was a gentlemen's agreement maybe it was more of a respect thing but I have a feeling this was more about Kovy then the Habs future. We already have 3 seconds word a fourth 2nd have moved the needle that much more? 

I think this might be more of what happened ...sending him to Washington is giving Kovy a chance at the Cup ..that and the fact Washington only had 1 3rd rounder to go with no 2nd round picks to offer  ...it might have been what Kovy wanted ( to play with Ovechkin ) and Bergy did him a favour ...and ...it might be what gets him back in Montreal next year 

27 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I'm still hopeful for the miracle deal involving Alzner to anybody.:ph34r:

LOL

Well either Kovy bowed his head to Napolean at the tomb there or he didn't....Personally I'd rather take a tour of the Bahamas than figure this one out.

Confirmed that Bergevin was trying to keep on Kovalchuk's good side with the trade to the caps.  Tweet from earlier

#Habs Kovalchuk said that Bergevin got better offers from teams other than #Capitals, so he very much appreciated MB asking him about going to Washington.

• H_T_L locked this topic