The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

TRADE DEADLINE - KOVY, THOMPSON, PECA, COUSINS TRADED

26NCounting

28 minutes ago, mysideofthemirror said:

Confirmed that Bergevin was trying to keep on Kovalchuk's good side with the trade to the caps.  Tweet from earlier

#Habs Kovalchuk said that Bergevin got better offers from teams other than #Capitals, so he very much appreciated MB asking him about going to Washington.

Oh for the love of God... Really? We don't need to keep on Kovy's good side for a shot at bringing him back next season! We should have taken the better offer! :wacko: If someone was offering a second round pick, that would have been way better than taking Washington's third. 

1 minute ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Thompson to Philadelphia for a fifth is underwhelming. I would rather have kept him throughout the end of the season.

agree, although i think this signals a hope that MB is moving some older players to allow the young guys to take over those roles. 

if the idea is to let Poehling & Evans etc take over Thompson's role next year then might as well get a pick since you're not resigning him next summer.  The real positive here is that its clear MB is not going to try to shoot for a likely unattainable playoff birth. 

Just now, maas_art said:

agree, although i think this signals a hope that MB is moving some older players to allow the young guys to take over those roles. 

if the idea is to let Poehling & Evans etc take over Thompson's role next year then might as well get a pick since you're not resigning him next summer.  The real positive here is that its clear MB is not going to try to shoot for a likely unattainable playoff birth. 

He's just making room for his waiver wire acquisitions next season.

2 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Who else would we possibly trade today? I don't really see any other rentals on our squad. No one is gonna want Dale Weise. Maybe something bigger happens, but I also wonder if Bergevin is done for the day.

People still think we can get something for Cousins, Weal or Weise. Doubt it.

5 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Who else would we possibly trade today? I don't really see any other rentals on our squad. No one is gonna want Dale Weise. Maybe something bigger happens, but I also wonder if Bergevin is done for the day.

with Kreider signing, I bet more teams are interested in Tatar

8 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

The fact that he turned down better offers for Kovalchuk on the chance he could resign him next year tells you everything ... he think this roster just needs a tweak and can make the playoffs next year despite the evidence it needs a major overhaul.

• H_T_L locked this topic