The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

TRADE DEADLINE - KOVY, THOMPSON, PECA, COUSINS TRADED

26NCounting

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

You'd have to think that if there was something major then we would know by now.  

I actually kind of am sad to see Cousins go.  Julien overused him but i didnt mind him as a 4th liner.  Would have preferred to move Weal or Weise but i guess no one would pay for them... 

Cousins played on the 4th line??? Which game was that??:frech1::frech1:

So to sum up, Bergevin has dealt

- Kovalchuk, Scandella, Thompson, Cousins, and Peca

for

- a 2nd, a 3rd, a 4th, a 5th, and a 7th

So he gave up a number of depth players to get a haul of lower-tier picks. All told, those 5 picks probably have about a 75% chance of producing one NHL player, and likely a depth player at that. The important picks to acquire are 1st rounders and high 2nd rounders. We got none of those. Today showed Bergevin knew this year was lost. It showed he does not see next year as a lost year, and that's a problem. He still thinks he can win next year.

MB is being very very careful with what he says about the Kovy deal. Read between the lines and it sounds like he definitely gave up a better deal in exchange for giving Kovalchuk a desired location of his choosing and it definitely sounds like he is expecting Kovalchuk to come back next year.

MB said he had contract discussions with Cousins, Scandella, and then with hesitation, he adds Kovalchuk but then says "it was a special case."

2 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

So to sum up, Bergevin has dealt

- Kovalchuk, Scandella, Thompson, Cousins, and Peca

for

- a 2nd, a 3rd, a 4th, a 5th, and a 7th

So he gave up a number of depth players to get a haul of lower-tier picks. All told, those 5 picks probably have about a 75% chance of producing one NHL player, and likely a depth player at that. The important picks to acquire are 1st rounders and high 2nd rounders. We got none of those. Today showed Bergevin knew this year was lost. It showed he does not see next year as a lost year, and that's a problem. He still thinks he can win next year.

Yup, probably resting his laurels on the "injury excuse" while conveniently ignoring that injuries alone don't account for how poorly this team played for long stretches of time, the lack of elite talent in your top 6, the lack of a top LD, on and on.    So we get another year of frustration and mediocrity.

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

MB: "We still need to put a good team on the ice next year. Do I have a specific way to get to the top? Well if we miss the playoffs and we win the lottery, that's one way to do it, but that's the same for everyone."

"Well, I have to go to work tomorrow. Do I have some a specific way to get rich? Well, if I win the lottery, that's one way to do it, but that's the same for everyone."

– about 95% of the planet's population

So. Bergevin still thinks he can win with the core he has, eh? I guess he COULD, but is he actually going to do something to address the team needs this summer? Ya know, like adding the LD we needed this past summer? Or are trades still going to be too hard to make?

Will next year be year nine of the five-year plan?

MB: "We're a good road team. We almost had the same road record as Boston on the road. Why can't we win at home? We're inconsistent, we can't beat Detroit but we can beat Washington. It's hard to get in the playoffs like this. The players need to take responsibility." (in response to the question of why the same core can't make the playoffs for 3 straight years)

• H_T_L locked this topic