The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

TRADE DEADLINE - KOVY, THOMPSON, PECA, COUSINS TRADED

26NCounting

Just now, BigTed3 said:

MB... willing to look at trades or changes in June.

Oh thank God he's WILLING to do his job... In June, at least. :ph34r:

All kidding aside, today played out how I expected it to... Although I was hoping we'd get a little bit more for Kovalchuk and Thompson. I'm guessing Bergevin's job is secure for 2020-21... I wonder if he'll improve the team at all this summer or if it will be more spinning wheels.

Just now, jennifer_rocket said:

All kidding aside, today played out how I expected it to... Although I was hoping we'd get a little bit more for Kovalchuk and Thompson. I'm guessing Bergevin's job is secure for 2020-21... I wonder if he'll improve the team at all this summer or if it will be more spinning wheels.

Every deadline he talks about how the deadline is not the time for making trades.

July 1st, he talks about not wanting to spend in free agency.

In September, he says your team is made in June and now is not the time to make big changes.

So basically, he's always saying it's not the right time... he seems satisfied that his core can be a fringe playoff team, and he avoided any questions about trying to aim higher than that. No plan. No plan at all.

2 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

MB: "We're a good road team. We almost had the same road record as Boston on the road. Why can't we win at home? We're inconsistent, we can't beat Detroit but we can beat Washington. It's hard to get in the playoffs like this. The players need to take responsibility." (in response to the question of why the same core can't make the playoffs for 3 straight years)

Yup, all about the players. We have so much talent on the roster, they just don't know it yet.

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

MB: "We're a good road team. We almost had the same road record as Boston on the road. Why can't we win at home? We're inconsistent, we can't beat Detroit but we can beat Washington. It's hard to get in the playoffs like this. The players need to take responsibility." (in response to the question of why the same core can't make the playoffs for 3 straight years)

For sure the players need to shoulder some of the blame. But... I mean... Come on Marc. The definition of insanity.

He has to do better this summer. It can't just be adding another bottom pairing defender and pretending they're the answer to our hole at LD, and pleading with Kovalchuk to re-sign here. If that's all, we'll miss the play-offs again next year.

1 minute ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Well he's got to replace all those 4th liners. Thank God he has all those picks to get it done.

1 minute ago, H_T_L said:

Well he's got to replace all those 4th liners. Thank God he has all those picks to get it done.

As others have mentioned, I, too, see very little value in any pick that's not in the first two rounds. I guess the plan is this:

• Pretend we can still make the post-season in 2019-20.
  • But actually, we can't... and we know we can't.
  • But we'll call up some guys from Laval to fill holes we created today in Montreal.
  • ... So Laval can also miss the post-season.
  • But no worries because our development is good and everything is a-okay! Everyone will take a step forward next year.
  • Win the Cup in 2020-21.

So  Bergevin  moves mostly 4th line guys that are UFAs ( excluding Alzner and Weise whom apparently no one wants anyway ) and people still complain . Before deadline that was on most fan's wish list when the season looked lost . We don't know if other GMs were trying to fleece him for guys like Tatar and Petry ...we simply don't know the details of any trade talks . There's still the time just before the draft and after the draft to deal picks or players . Now the young guys will come back up to finish the season as it should be ...

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

So to sum up, Bergevin has dealt

- Kovalchuk, Scandella, Thompson, Cousins, and Peca

for

- a 2nd, a 3rd, a 4th, a 5th, and a 7th

So he gave up a number of depth players to get a haul of lower-tier picks. All told, those 5 picks probably have about a 75% chance of producing one NHL player, and likely a depth player at that. The important picks to acquire are 1st rounders and high 2nd rounders. We got none of those. Today showed Bergevin knew this year was lost. It showed he does not see next year as a lost year, and that's a problem. He still thinks he can win next year.

The positive (small one) is that maybe MB is seeing that there's no point in blocking young players to fill those spots.  He got rid of Thompson, Cousins, Scandella etc  because they arent in the long term plans, so thats a positive in my books.  Now, of course, that has to be followed up by actually giving Evans, Poehling, Vejdemo etc a chance to play, not just signing more plugs this summer...

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

MB is being very very careful with what he says about the Kovy deal. Read between the lines and it sounds like he definitely gave up a better deal in exchange for giving Kovalchuk a desired location of his choosing and it definitely sounds like he is expecting Kovalchuk to come back next year.

MB said he had contract discussions with Cousins, Scandella, and then with hesitation, he adds Kovalchuk but then says "it was a special case."

"I made a trade that at the time, I had to make that trade. I have a reason that I can't really tell you why, but if I could, you would probably understand.”

giphy.gif

25 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I don't know about MB, but if you want to win the lottery, your best chance is to increase your odds and buy more tickets,,,, and not those from last week,.

I think Gallagher, Primeau, Halak, Streit, Markov & Kishel would resent the remark that they were "last week's tickets"   (although i do agree with your sentiment that its unlikely any of the picks we acquired this week will amount to any of those guys.  Ok, maybe Kishel)

24 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

So  Bergevin  moves mostly 4th line guys that are UFAs ( excluding Alzner and Weise whom apparently no one wants anyway ) and people still complain . Before deadline that was on most fan's wish list when the season looked lost . We don't know if other GMs were trying to fleece him for guys like Tatar and Petry ...we simply don't know the details of any trade talks . There's still the time just before the draft and after the draft to deal picks or players . Now the young guys will come back up to finish the season as it should be ...

100% agree with the bold.   Did we get a guy like Byram + 1st for Tatar?  No. But was that even available? Who knows. There wasnt a single deal today where i thought "man we should have flipped petry or tatar for that haul" 

Thankfully we have a whole year to decide what to do with them. They're both great players, it just depends what the long-term plan is. 

MB's day was wholly unspectacular but at least it wasnt a negative either. 

39 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

When Pageau gets you a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick ... there was a deal out there for Tatar/Petry that nets you at least that.     The problem isn't that MB didn't do anything, it's WHY he did not do anything ... his conviction that this roster will somehow magically compete for the cup next year. 

4 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

When Pageau gets you a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick ... there was a deal out there for Tatar/Petry that nets you at least that.     The problem isn't that MB didn't do anything, it's WHY he did not do anything ... his conviction that this roster will somehow magically compete for the cup next year. 

there is no way id give up either guy for a 1 2 and 3. it would have taken a first, an A prospect and roster player, I would have wanted yet another piece for Petry. No one was willing to pay that price, I think MB would have made the move otherwise

2 minutes ago, habsisme said:

there is no way id give up either guy for a 1 2 and 3. it would have taken a first, an A prospect and roster player, I would have wanted yet another piece for Petry. No one was willing to pay that price, I think MB would have made the move otherwise

Which is why I said "at least that" ... and there probably was people willing to pay that, MB however in his myopic delusion believes this roster will compete next season (go listen to his presser today) ... he didn't deal Petry/Tatar as he firmly believes the current roster will be deep in the playoffs next year.   Not because he didn't like the offers, not because they weren't good enough.

• H_T_L locked this topic