The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

TRADE DEADLINE - KOVY, THOMPSON, PECA, COUSINS TRADED

26NCounting

8 hours ago, maas_art said:

Same.  MB again shows he can make some terrific secondary deals.  Now we need him to make a couple of impact ones.  A very good article by Jared Book over at HEOTP this morning about how MB's time has run out & he needs to start making the big moves, the little tinkering wont cut it any more. 

Yeah, that's the thing. He's great at finding value without giving up much and most of his trades end up being successful. It's either minor trades or 1-for-1 player trades we're talking about though, which won't get us to the next level. At some point he has to pay the price and plug the holes he's created years ago.

Ken Holland, FWIW, says he is not shopping Puljujarvi and adds that no team has asked about him yet. You would guess that's true, because it's in a GM's interest to drum up the idea that multiple teams are interested if you want to actually trade him. So that suggests no activity there.

32 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

My guesses on the odds of trading guys before the deadline:

- Thompson 90%

- Kovalchuk 70%

- Weal 40%

- Weise 30%

- Tatar 25%

- Kulak 20%

- Cousins 20%

- Domi 15%

- Petry 2%

pretty much agree with that assessment 

I'd love a monster deal for Tatar but someone has to be willing to pay the price

1 minute ago, habsisme said:

pretty much agree with that assessment 

I'd love a monster deal for Tatar but someone has to be willing to pay the price

I find it hard to believe any team in a playoff position would be targeting Weise, Weal or Cousins,,, so i'd put those numbers closer to 0.

19 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I find it hard to believe any team in a playoff position would be targeting Weise, Weal or Cousins,,, so i'd put those numbers closer to 0.

There are other GM's like Bergevin who value grit and if you can get a 4th liner for a mid-round daft pick whereby you pay them very little salary and don't give up much trade capital, they see it as a free acquisition. Look at what Bergevin did the one time his team was in playoff mode... Dwight King? The guy couldn't even skate and we gave up a 4th rounder. Steve Ott? Nesterov? Martinsen? Those guys are worse than the ones we might ship out.

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

- Thompson 90%

- Kovalchuk 70%

- Weal 40%

- Weise 30%

- Tatar 25%

- Kulak 20%

- Cousins 20%

- Domi 15%

- Petry 2%

I think those are pretty accurate.   I do think Tatar's number is rising though as i believe the offers may be too great for MB to refuse. 

4 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

- Thompson 90%

- Kovalchuk 70%

- Weal 40%

- Weise 30%

- Tatar 25%

- Kulak 20%

- Cousins 20%

- Domi 15%

- Petry 2%

I must be the only member that does not want Thompson traded. He kills penalties, has more FO wins than losses, and on the 4th line they seem to hem the opposition in their own end. Only Danault has more FO wins. JM2C.

8 hours ago, maas_art said:

I think those are pretty accurate.   I do think Tatar's number is rising though as i believe the offers may be too great for MB to refuse. 

I think Tatar's number has gone up already... would have been closer to Petry's number a few weeks ago, but I think the fact it's a strong sellers' market has opened that door a bit more. Tatar is clearly better than Coleman and at least as good as Zucker, and both those guys fetched strong returns.

You listen to a guy like Sakic though and he says he "isn't giving up top prospects" but is open to trading his 1st rounder... that isn't getting you Tatar. He says he prefers to "make a hockey trade" but that means giving up someone from his roster that isn't important to his playoff run, which means it isn't a very good player. That shouldn't get you Tatar either. If those other two guys got you a 1st (and in one case possibly a lottery 1st) in addition to a 1st from last year in Foote or a team's best D prospect in Addison, then I see no reason why Bergevin shouldn't be asking for Byram, even if the pick that goes along with it is downgraded to a 2nd. A return of something like Byram, a 2nd, and one of Kamenev/Bowers would be completely in line with what other teams have given up. IMO, a 1st plus Zadorov doesn't cut it, and I'd rather MB look elsewhere. Calgary and Edmonton have both rumored to be interested and I wouldn't count out Dallas or the Islanders as trade partners either.

10 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

I must be the only member that does not want Thompson traded. He kills penalties, has more FO wins than losses, and on the 4th line they seem to hem the opposition in their own end. Only Danault has more FO wins. JM2C.

I like thompson and i love his story. He seems to be adored by his teammates & he's the quintessential "team player" but at the same time he's going to be 36 to start next season, and he'll end up taking away ice time from someone like Poehling, Evans, Vejdemo etc - and i think his services would be better served elsewhere.

I dont think we'll get much for him but considering we're quite unlikely to resign him this summer, something is better than nothing. 

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I think Tatar's number has gone up already... would have been closer to Petry's number a few weeks ago, but I think the fact it's a strong sellers' market has opened that door a bit more. Tatar is clearly better than Coleman and at least as good as Zucker, and both those guys fetched strong returns.

You listen to a guy like Sakic though and he says he "isn't giving up top prospects" but is open to trading his 1st rounder... that isn't getting you Tatar. He says he prefers to "make a hockey trade" but that means giving up someone from his roster that isn't important to his playoff run, which means it isn't a very good player. That shouldn't get you Tatar either. If those other two guys got you a 1st (and in one case possibly a lottery 1st) in addition to a 1st from last year in Foote or a team's best D prospect in Addison, then I see no reason why Bergevin shouldn't be asking for Byram, even if the pick that goes along with it is downgraded to a 2nd. A return of something like Byram, a 2nd, and one of Kamenev/Bowers would be completely in line with what other teams have given up. IMO, a 1st plus Zadorov doesn't cut it, and I'd rather MB look elsewhere. Calgary and Edmonton have both rumored to be interested and I wouldn't count out Dallas or the Islanders as trade partners either.

Yeah Sakic is a tough negotiator & ive yet to see him back down. He'll wait it out as long as he can & probably settle on a lesser player than give up the asset we want. I certainly woudlnt trade Tatar or Petry or many others just for the sake of trading them.  You want Weise or Thompson or Weal? You got em.  But almost anyone else I want some value for. 

46 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I like thompson and i love his story. He seems to be adored by his teammates & he's the quintessential "team player" but at the same time he's going to be 36 to start next season, and he'll end up taking away ice time from someone like Poehling, Evans, Vejdemo etc - and i think his services would be better served elsewhere.

I dont think we'll get much for him but considering we're quite unlikely to resign him this summer, something is better than nothing. 

Yeah Sakic is a tough negotiator & ive yet to see him back down. He'll wait it out as long as he can & probably settle on a lesser player than give up the asset we want. I certainly woudlnt trade Tatar or Petry or many others just for the sake of trading them.  You want Weise or Thompson or Weal? You got em.  But almost anyone else I want some value for. 

That's the thing. I get the sense that Sakic would rather have Kovalchuk for a 2nd rounder than give up one of his top prospects in a deal for Tatar or Palmieri or Kreider. Then again, it could all just be talk to play hardball. The difference for Sakic compared to deals he's made in the past is that now he's the one up against the clock to win. When he was trading away guys like Duchene, there wasn't much pressure on him to close the deal, just as there isn't much on Bergevin to sell Tatar or Petry right now. You don't like the deal, you walk away. But this year, the West is so weak that literally any of 6-7 teams could make the WCF and Colorado is right there. So for Sakic, you have to wonder if you give your guys the extra push and overpay in a trade because you don't know when you're going to get your next shot to be this close to a Cup. Byram is 2-3 years away from being an impact player, if he makes it at all. That's the right window for Montreal to look at, but Colorado's window is going to start closing then, with Landeskog getting older and having to pay some of their younger guys like Makar.

9 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Le Braun reporting that the Canes have put forth an offer of Bean + 1st for Petry. I don't mind the offer in itself but we should be getting an additional prospect or pick especially trading within the conference

I think that's to low for Petry. Personally I don't want to move him and it would take a lot more to take him away

17 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Le Braun reporting that the Canes have put forth an offer of Bean + 1st for Petry. I don't mind the offer in itself but we should be getting an additional prospect or pick especially trading within the conference.

He's worth the 1st as a rental this year along with Bean. Seeing as he has another year on his contract, that should be worth their other 1st,,,, if not this year then next, IMO.

I'd hold out for more or pass all together

1 minute ago, H_T_L said:

Reading the Canes board they think it's too much. They believe Petry would be Gardiner 2.0.

well they don't know what they are talking about

in any case its always a bad trade when you're a buyer at the deadline. That's just how it is if you want to improve. 

I want more than just Bean and a first for Petry. And personally, I'm more interested in moving Tatar than Petry. I want to extend him July first

• BigTed3 changed the title to TRADE DEADLINE - KOVY TRADED
  • H_T_L locked this topic